• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
If I had to guess, Shantae's music lineup would probably be along the lines of:

Burning Town (Remix)
Risky's Theme (Remix)
We Love Burning Town (Pirate's Curse)
Scuttle Town (Risky's Revenge)
Boss Theme (Pirate's Curse)
Dance Through the Danger (Half Genie Hero)
Dance Through the Danger (Remix)
Mermaid Falls (Half Genie Hero)

Also, if Shantae made it into Smash Bros. as a playable character, would anyone like the idea of another Wayforward game getting some content in the game? (Like say, Mighty Switch Force music or a Patricia Wagon Assist Trophy?)
Pretty good start, not counting any potential remixes, here's the songs I want to see for Shantae's stage music (I had these more or less tailored to my stage idea for her, which is a traveling Burning Town stage similar to 3D Land):

Dance Through the Danger ~ Half Genie Hero
We Love Burning Town ~ Pirate's Curse
Neo Burning Town ~ Half Genie Hero
Boss Battle ~ Pirate's Curse
Boss Battle ~ Half Genie Hero
Scuttle Town ~ Pirate's Curse
She's Got Moves! ~ Risky's Revenge
Trip Through Sequin Land ~ Pirate's Curse
Mermaid Falls Medley ~ Half Genie Hero (both Mermaid Falls and Counterfeit Mermaids)
Barrel-O-Mermaids ~ Half Genie Hero
Tassel Town ~ Half Genie Hero
Rescue Girl ~ Mighty Switch Force 2
Strike the Earth! Plains of Passage ~ Shovel Knight (same composer, song deserves to be in as well even of he isn't playable)

And I'd also like to see Patricia as an assist, I believe my ideas for her are on the previous page

EDIT: Ok they're a little farther back, but my ideas for Patty is summoning her would also spawn the blocks from her game and while she’d go around the stage shooting her pellet gun, her helmet would change the blocks between transparent and solid on a timer. They’d act like platforms when solid, but they’d screen KO you if you get caught inside their transparent state when turn solid, she’d can be KOed as well, and the blocks can be used to do so if you can hit her into them.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Pretty good start, not counting any potential remixes, here's the songs I want to see for Shantae's stage music (I had these more or less tailored to my stage idea for her, which is a traveling Burning Town stage similar to 3D Land):

Dance Through the Danger ~ Half Genie Hero
We Love Burning Town ~ Pirate's Curse
Neo Burning Town ~ Half Genie Hero
Boss Battle ~ Pirate's Curse
Boss Battle ~ Half Genie Hero
Scuttle Town ~ Pirate's Curse
She's Got Moves! ~ Risky's Revenge
Trip Through Sequin Land ~ Pirate's Curse
Mermaid Falls Medley ~ Half Genie Hero (both Mermaid Falls and Counterfeit Mermaids)
Barrel-O-Mermaids ~ Half Genie Hero
Tassel Town ~ Half Genie Hero
Rescue Girl ~ Mighty Switch Force 2
Strike the Earth! Plains of Passage ~ Shovel Knight (same composer, song deserves to be in as well even of he isn't playable)

And I'd also like to see Patricia as an assist, I believe my ideas for her are on the previous page

EDIT: Ok they're a little farther back, but my ideas for Patty is summoning her would also spawn the blocks from her game and while she’d go around the stage shooting her pellet gun, her helmet would change the blocks between transparent and solid on a timer. They’d act like platforms when solid, but they’d screen KO you if you get caught inside their transparent state when turn solid, she’d can be KOed as well, and the blocks can be used to do so if you can hit her into them.
I agree, especially with the SK music. Jake Kaufman is brilliant and id love to see his music from both Shantae and SK make it in.
Shantae could/should be the indie Rep, so bringing in SK's Music would be a good way to further that roll,

Zero Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zero_Kirby
3DS FC
3909-7524-8639
Switch FC
SW 7923-7756-9289
Oh boy a discussion about Shantae for Smash

I am also hoping she makes it in, she'd be a great character, but I'm also a little torn between her having a moveset based on her genie transformations, or a moveset based on her Pirate's Curse abilites. Personally, I liked Pirate's Curse the best out of all the Shantae games, but I definitely know that sort of moveset would fit Risky Boots a lot more. Hey, maybe if they used that moveset, Risky could be an Echo, that'd be cool.

Of course I'm also hoping for character palettes based on Sky and Rottytops.

Oh yeah and also the music is amazing and it would basically be a crime if they didn't have at least Burning Town even if they didn't get Shantae herself a character slot. But aside from Burning Town, you could probably put in any other Shantae tracks from either Pirate's Curse or Half-Genie Hero without even remixing them and I'd still be happy.

candysell

Smash Cadet
I agree, especially with the SK music. Jake Kaufman is brilliant and id love to see his music from both Shantae and SK make it in.
Shantae could/should be the indie Rep, so bringing in SK's Music would be a good way to further that roll,
With a brilliant moveset and very amazing ost I don't see how they can not add Shantae.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I think they'd add a lot of music (Castlevania has 34 tracks), but the ones I would want, aside from the obvious like Burning Town and Boss Battle, are:
Streamworks - Possibly my favorite track in the series, to be honest.
Back to the Roots - Or really, any remix of the original labyrinth theme.
Cult of Personality

Pirate's Curse just had such an incredible OST, one of my favorites in video games overall. Those are really just my top 3, there are plenty more I'd love to hear in Smash.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I can’t believe I forgot to include Run Run Rottytops ~ Pirate’s Curse into my list

So, I think one song that NEEDS to be included if Shantae is confirmed?

"Trip Through Sequin Land"
https://youtu.be/-L0uRqftfmY

We also need to hear some Mighty Switch Force tracks. In particular?

"Soak Patrol Alpha"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SSo-ddZm90
Agreed on the first song, I think it would be perfect for a Burning Town stage, especially if it’s a traveling stage. As for possible MSF music, personally I think Rescue Girl is just perfect, but if that can’t make it for whatever reason, then either Love You Love You Love or Whoa I’m in Space Cuba (have I ever mentioned how much I love the names of these tracks just as much as the tracks themselves? Please never change, Jake Kaufman)

Last edited:

TheChoZenOne

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keremiah
WE CAN GET SHANTAE INTO SMASH BROS ULTIMATE!!
Join our discord, we are gathering all the Shantae supporters to start a campaign to try getting our half genie in Smash Bros!! Find out more by joining now!! We can actually do it with the power of social media!! If you're with me, then Let's go....

https://t.co/SlvG9500Tw

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
If we are getting her, best bet is at the Nindie direct at the very end as a special surprise. She is the most likely Indie character I feel, due to her having a long Nintendo history(all the way back to the GBC) and Wayforward has been close with nintendo for a few games.

Anyone know how high she was on the ballot? any surveys that put her ranking?

If she gets a stage it has to be skuttletown. Rotty tops, Skye, Bolo, and others should be in the back ground. I can see even Risky Boots being a boss for the stage(thus a boss for the single player mode) Fighting normally but also using her pirate ship.

For Assist trophy probably Rottytops is the most likely. That may mean she can't be in the background though.

TheChoZenOne

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keremiah
If we are getting her, best bet is at the Nindie direct at the very end as a special surprise. She is the most likely Indie character I feel, due to her having a long Nintendo history(all the way back to the GBC) and Wayforward has been close with nintendo for a few games.

If she gets a stage it has to be skuttletown. Rotty tops, Skye, Bolo, and others should be in the back ground. I can see even Risky Boots being a boss for the stage(thus a boss for the single player mode) Fighting normally but also using her pirate ship.

For Assist trophy probably Rottytops is the most likely. That may mean she can't be in the background though.
She was number one on Etika's fan poll which was one of the biggest fan polls on the internet!!

Staarih

Smash Master
She's first in this reddit poll, and after googling for some fan results, I see her placed quite frequently in the top 10. Though in most cases, Shovel Knight is before her, but usually only one or two ranks higher. To be fair, any fan polls/results online are pretty rigged though, so it's hard to say for sure, but they give some idea I guess.

I'd personally assume Shantae's and Shovel Knight's ballot performance were probably pretty much on par with each other. I feel like Shantae had more of a push in Japan to even out her "lagging behind" Shovel Knight. And maybe Sakurai went on to choose her because of that? And longer history with Nintendo. Then again, it might not even be a "competition" but rather just looking who has potential.

Probably wishful thinking haha but hey, speculation is speculation.

Indie DevoTee

Smash Rookie
She's first in this reddit poll, and after googling for some fan results, I see her placed quite frequently in the top 10. Though in most cases, Shovel Knight is before her, but usually only one or two ranks higher. To be fair, any fan polls/results online are pretty rigged though, so it's hard to say for sure, but they give some idea I guess.

I'd personally assume Shantae's and Shovel Knight's ballot performance were probably pretty much on par with each other. I feel like Shantae had more of a push in Japan to even out her "lagging behind" Shovel Knight. And maybe Sakurai went on to choose her because of that? And longer history with Nintendo. Then again, it might not even be a "competition" but rather just looking who has potential.

Probably wishful thinking haha but hey, speculation is speculation.
Yeah, last I checked, she is always usually in Top 5 polls. Granted, none of them are official, but I am sure she and Shovel Knight were always pretty close in votes. There's a good chance for her.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is it weird that i think Shovel knight being an assist somehow increases and decreases shantae's chances?
I think it increases, because it means Nintendo is paying attention to Indies, but maybe they didn't want to favor only the shovel knight fans because of localization. Shantae is liked here and over there too so.. ya know. Personally I'm not counting on it, but I do have more hope for her than before the last direct.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Can Shantae be the first indie playable character in smash??
Sure hope that's possible.
Heh, we're all pretty much praying that it'll happen, considering Sakurai's paying attention to indies, by having Shovel Knight added in as an assist trophy. Tbh, I would be surprised if they don't make Shantae playable or any other iconic indie character for that matter.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Add me to the support list! I've become more optimistic about her chances after the direct, and somehow I never realized she had this much presence during the ballot. I remember wanting her back then, too, but I had always thought that'd the idea of an indie character making it was far-fetched. She really seems like she has a chance this time though!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Does Nintendo contact the parent company if their mascot/character is playable?

I kinda want to get a group of 5 people to go on WayForward's Twitter and simply just ask if Shantae is in Smash and see how they respond. It's usually with silence but if they honestly don't know anything then we'll just have to wait.

Also, here's Gamefaqs opinion of Shantae.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76905058

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I kinda want to get a group of 5 people to go on WayForward's Twitter and simply just ask if Shantae is in Smash and see how they respond. It's usually with silence but if they honestly don't know anything then we'll just have to wait.

Im certain many people have already asked said question and would've sent it around the internet by now if it was a thing.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Of course they know, they have to make a contract not only for copyright stuff but for protection and more.
There's typically a non-disclosure agreement, which means you can't speak about the inclusion. You can't break it unless you want to face the legal consequences plus not have nintendo trust you.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Of course they know, they have to make a contract not only for copyright stuff but for protection and more.
There's typically a non-disclosure agreement, which means you can't speak about the inclusion. You can't break it unless you want to face the legal consequences plus not have nintendo trust you.
Yup NDA's are a tricky thing, often you cant even talk about the fact you are under an NDA,
WF could also be under a sorta "non compete clause", as that could explain the seemingly odd exclusion of Shantae in other Indie Fighter games like Blade Strangers, and Indie Pogo.

The Silence coming out of Wayforward is deafening

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yup NDA's are a tricky thing, often you cant even talk about the fact you are under an NDA,
WF could also be under a sorta "non compete clause", as that could explain the seemingly odd exclusion of Shantae in other Indie Fighter games like Blade Strangers, and Indie Pogo.

The Silence coming out of Wayforward is deafening
Yeah, it's strange how Shantae has been strangely absent from guest staring in other indie fighters. Shovel Knight has made no secret that he likes showing up for those things, but Shantae has been notably absent despite her being the Queen of indies. And it's not like Wayforward does not have her guest star, as Indivisible and other showcase(Often alongside Shovel Knight). It's strange.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I wanted to take a crack at my own take on how Shantae could fight. There may be some simular things from other people, like the OP's post about transformation being a down special, but gonna be slightly different given how was have seen some changes to Shulk and his Monado, but thats for later. I also wanted to include animated gifs for all her attacks, so I DLed a sprite sheet of all Shantae's attacks in Half Genie hero, and made gifs of them if I couldn't find them online. if the attack wasn't in that game though I just use sprites from past games, or if it is one of Risky's weapons and Shantae used that

Look and design(movement)

She should look pretty much how she does in Half Genie Hero. It will be interesting seeing her in 3D, don't think she ever has been offically in 3d before. for her normal and crouch animation I was thinking the 2 above. Very fitting, nice and bubbly.

Entrance: Shantae flies in with sky riding Giga wrench with Sky. Shantae then jumps off and readys for battle

Entrance.gif

A: Hair Whip (Also will be her Crouch and FAir)

attack.gif

Tilt: Power Kick

Up Tilt: Flip Kick(without the air flip, just the first part)

Crouch Attack: Hair whip

crouch attack.gif

Dash attack: Shantae does a shoulder taker surrounded by pink energy, as she did in Runbow and in her first game.

Nair: Twirl Attack. Shantae twirls in the air.

Fair: Hair whip
Air Attack.gif

BAir: Reverse hair whip. Shantae whips her hair behind her instead on in front of her. No images of her ever doing this but just seems fitting.

UAir: Hat Attack. Shantae Magically makes Risky's Pirate hat appear and pushes it above her, damaging anyone hit. If she holds A after the attack she can use the hat to glide.

Hat Attack.gif

DAir: Simitar Stab. Shantae pulls out Risky's Simitar and stabs it downward. if she hits someone, she bounces off them(Like she can in the game and also like Scrooge McDuck and Shovel Knight)

Shield: Bubble(A Magic from her games.)

Grab: She grabs them, but while holding them she's still moving side to side to the music in her head. Imagin that outstretched hand is grabbing someone.

Pummel: slaps with her other hand.
Forward throw: Spins and whips them with her hair
Back Throw, THrows them backwards under her legs as she jumps over them.
Up Throw: Does a short tango dance, and throws them up.
Down throw. Pushes them on the ground as she twirls on them, then kicks them away.

Foward Smash: Fire Ball. Shantae points with her finger then fires a short range fire ball in front of her. Doesn't go as far as in this screen shot but its that animation.

fire attack.gif

Up Smash: Storm Puff. Shantae Raises a hand during the charge, and then makes a storm puff appear slightly above her(about half her body height above her), which then shoots down lightning onto shantae, which spooks her a bit, making her jump back slightly. The puff ball and lightning strike abover her are the hitbox and damaging part. The damage is strong and has a high hitbox, but long ending lag due to her getting spooked.

Recoil.gif

Down Smash: Super Pike Ball. She poses, summoning 3 pike balls around her waist, that spins around her waist 3 times before vanishing. they spin close and waist height, unlike in the image here

B: Pistol shot. Shantae pulls out Risky's pistol, and can either rapidly tap b to fire multiple shots that can go through walls and enemies(only first enemy is flinched) for low damage, or hold it to fire a bomb shot, which explodes on the first contact of player or wall, for greater damage.

pistol shot.gif
pistol shot bomb.gif

Forward B: Simitar dash. Shantae pulls out Risky's Simitar and charges forward, similar to Bowser Jr's side B., it has a slight start up till she gets full speed, like a second or 2, but she can turn and keep dashing around, and jump as well to attack in the air with it.

Up B: Cannon Shot. Shantae pulls out Risky's cannon, sits on it, and shoots it down, propelling her into the air. She can repeat this 3 times for extra jumps. Tha cannon shot downwards does damage, and if she hits someone in the sweet spot right at the muzzle, it spikes.

Cannon Fire.gif

Down B: Transforming Dance. Shantae starts dancing(which dance animation she does is random, but its the same frame data) and then can transform based on how many times she presses B(like shulks Monado), or holding B and picking based on a wheel(like Shulks Monado will be able to do in Ultimate)

Dance 1.gif
Dance 2.gif

She can change into one of 4 transformations, each with their own attack. She can move after transforming(except for 1), and can do 1 type of attack with A. She transforms after 3 attacks of any transformation, Pressing B, after 10 seconds, or if she takes too much damage). I thought of doing 2 attacks like the OP did, but thats too much I feel that would be way too difficult to fit in. I also limited it to 4 because any more could also be too difficult.

Monkey: Small, fast and jumps high. Can do a dash attack

Elephant: Slow and heavy, can Slam the ground damaging and stunning near by players.

Harpy: Has multiple jumps, slow on ground. Can fire her feathers out as projectiles in an arc pattern

Harpy.gif

Spider: average speed and jumping. Shoots a ball of web out in front of her that damages enemies hit by it and does linger poison damage.

spider.gif

Final Smash: Half Genie Hero. Shantae readies herself,m then starts to dance, releasing a large wave of energy and music notes around her. Anyone hit by it are stunned as she continues dancing the night away, and at the end, they all explode in pink and music note energy

Taunt 1: Pulls out a the lamp from Pirates curse and does a little dance

Taunt 2: Does her Warp dance animation from GBC

Taunt 3: She does her item get pose.

And well... that took forever to do, but I felt a gal like Shantae deserved all this attention. I hope you guys like this design/moveset idea for her!

EDIT: Seems like a few of the images I grabbed don't load on this site, so I fixed them

Attachments

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So I wanted to take a crack at my own take on how Shantae could fight. There may be some simular things from other people, like the OP's post about transformation being a down special, but gonna be slightly different given how was have seen some changes to Shulk and his Monado, but thats for later. I also wanted to include animated gifs for all her attacks, so I DLed a sprite sheet of all Shantae's attacks in Half Genie hero, and made gifs of them if I couldn't find them online. if the attack wasn't in that game though I just use sprites from past games, or if it is one of Risky's weapons and Shantae used that

She should look pretty much how she does in Half Genie Hero. It will be interesting seeing her in 3D, don't think she ever has been offically in 3d before. for her normal and crouch animation I was thinking the 2 above. Very fitting, nice and bubbly.

Entrance: Shantae flies in with sky riding Giga wrench with Sky. Shantae then jumps off and readys for battle

View attachment 157987

View attachment 157950

View attachment 157989

Dash attack: Shantae does a shoulder taker surrounded by pink energy, as she did in Runbow and in her first game.

View attachment 157948

BAir: Reverse hair whip. Shantae whips her hair behind her instead on in front of her. No images of her ever doing this but just seems fitting.

UAir: Hat Attack. Shantae Magically makes Risky's Pirate hat appear and pushes it above her, damaging anyone hit. If she holds A after the attack she can use the hat to glide.

View attachment 157969

DAir: Simitar Stab. Shantae pulls out Risky's Simitar and stabs it downward. if she hits someone, she bounces off them(Like she can in the game and also like Scrooge McDuck and Shovel Knight)

Grab: She grabs them, but while holding them she's still moving side to side to the music in her head. Imagin that outstretched hand is grabbing someone.

Down throw. Pushes them on the ground as she twirls on them, then kicks them away.

Foward Smash: Fire Ball. Shantae points with her finger then fires a short range fire ball in front of her. Doesn't go as far as in this screen shot but its that animation.

View attachment 157988

Up Smash: Storm Puff. Shantae Raises a hand during the charge, and then makes a storm puff appear slightly above her(about half her body height above her), which then shoots down lightning onto shantae, which spooks her a bit, making her jump back slightly. The puff ball and lightning strike abover her are the hitbox and damaging part. The damage is strong and has a high hitbox, but long ending lag due to her getting spooked.

View attachment 157967

Down Smash: Super Pike Ball. She poses, summoning 3 pike balls around her waist, that spins around her waist 3 times before vanishing. they spin close and waist height, unlike in the image here

B: Pistol shot. Shantae pulls out Risky's pistol, and can either rapidly tap b to fire multiple shots that can go through walls and enemies(only first enemy is flinched) for low damage, or hold it to fire a bomb shot, which explodes on the first contact of player or wall, for greater damage.

View attachment 157957View attachment 157958

Forward B: Simitar dash. Shantae pulls out Risky's Simitar and charges forward, similar to Bowser Jr's side B., it has a slight start up till she gets full speed, like a second or 2, but she can turn and keep dashing around, and jump as well to attack in the air with it.

Up B: Cannon Shot. Shantae pulls out Risky's cannon, sits on it, and shoots it down, propelling her into the air. She can repeat this 3 times for extra jumps. Tha cannon shot downwards does damage, and if she hits someone in the sweet spot right at the muzzle, it spikes.

View attachment 157971

Down B: Transforming Dance. Shantae starts dancing(which dance animation she does is random, but its the same frame data) and then can transform based on how many times she presses B(like shulks Monado), or holding B and picking based on a wheel(like Shulks Monado will be able to do in Ultimate)

View attachment 157966View attachment 157961

She can change into one of 4 transformations, each with their own attack. She can move after transforming(except for 1), and can do 1 type of attack with A. She transforms after 3 attacks of any transformation, Pressing B, after 10 seconds, or if she takes too much damage). I thought of doing 2 attacks like the OP did, but thats too much I feel that would be way too difficult to fit in. I also limited it to 4 because any more could also be too difficult.

Elephant: Slow and heavy, can Slam the ground damaging and stunning near by players.

Harpy: Has multiple jumps, slow on ground. Can fire her feathers out as projectiles in an arc pattern

View attachment 157975

Spider: average speed and jumping. Shoots a ball of web out in front of her that damages enemies hit by it and does linger poison damage.

View attachment 157976

Final Smash: Half Genie Hero. Shantae readies herself,m then starts to dance, releasing a large wave of energy and music notes around her. Anyone hit by it are stunned as she continues dancing the night away, and at the end, they all explode in pink and music note energy

And well... that took forever to do, but I felt a gal like Shantae deserved all this attention. I hope you guys like this design/moveset idea for her!

EDIT: Seems like a few of the images I grabbed don't load on this site, so I fixed them
Pretty good moveset

Indie DevoTee

Smash Rookie

View attachment 157987

View attachment 157950

View attachment 157989

View attachment 157948

View attachment 157969

View attachment 157988

View attachment 157967

View attachment 157971

View attachment 157975

View attachment 157976

Dude, this moveset is on point! I love it!

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706

View attachment 157987

View attachment 157950

View attachment 157989

View attachment 157948

View attachment 157969

View attachment 157988

View attachment 157967

View attachment 157971

View attachment 157975

View attachment 157976

Other than her nair should be her hair whip instead of her fair, because it makes more sense considering she can neutral jump to hair whip in her original games, looking pretty solid. :grin:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Other than her nair should be her hair whip instead of her fair, because it makes more sense considering she can neutral jump to hair whip in her original games, looking pretty solid. :grin:
I think I agree. And zferolie's compilation really seems to do good justice. I just really feel good about Shantae getting a jump kick of some kind. nair could work. :)
It's good to stay true to original. There's always new stuff that can be put too, where there's open potential, I guess.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Dude, this moveset is on point! I love it!
Why thank you! I really wanted to do her justice. I felt using actual sprites and images could help me make her kit more game accurate

Great effort, love the resources.
Personally I'd like her nair or fair to be some kind of kick tho
It took me awhile to find a good website, but sprite rescorces was great for the Half genie hero sprites. also found a website to turn the individual frames into 1 gif.

I was thinking it, but she never seemed to kick much in the air, except for her dive kick from the GBC game. The twirl attack from that game seemed more fitting as most NAir's have an all around of basic hit box.

I considered it, but i thought that her hair attack would feel like it attacked mor in front of her, while NAir's tend to be just at the body, and even a bit behind. Twirl attack seemed to be the best bet.

I think I agree. And zferolie's compilation really seems to do good justice. I just really feel good about Shantae getting a jump kick of some kind. nair could work. :)
It's good to stay true to original. There's always new stuff that can be put too, where there's open potential, I guess.
I suppose her DAir could be the dive kick from GBC Shantae, Just thought though that the simitar being like Scrooges or Shovel Knights pogo attack could be a nice call out to those games as well. I suppose a back kick could work for her BAir, instead of just a hair whip back. would look different too which may be better.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking it, but she never seemed to kick much in the air, except for her dive kick from the GBC game. The twirl attack from that game seemed more fitting as most NAir's have an all around of basic hit box.

I suppose her DAir could be the dive kick from GBC Shantae, Just thought though that the simitar being like Scrooges or Shovel Knights pogo attack could be a nice call out to those games as well. I suppose a back kick could work for her BAir, instead of just a hair whip back. would look different too which may be better.
Sure. either one seems great for dair. I see it for nair, and I meant like inventing a new move for her, to be a kick, but it's not because I think it 'should' be that way, It's subjective (how I'm looking at it personally), it just feels like it would fit her well and give more options for hitboxes in the air, rather than just being close or being far.

I'm only being picky on that part cuz I think the rest is really good ;)
Maybe the only other things I could see other than that would be that A could be f-tilt, and she could have a real pummel for A. The kick could also be f-smash if it was strong like that, and the fireball could be a b-move (like instead of the pistol) They tend not to have pistol shots on characters, but maybe that changed since bayo. Anyway, just some different ideas I thought when I looked through.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Finally finished ALL of Half Genie Hero! Ninja Mode was pure dope with the extra boost in speed you get and the wall jump/climb and cling. Beach Mode was a difficult but fun mode and the beach balls were super fun to use, and Jammies Mode was just hilarious power trip insanity 16 DAMAGE per hit at full power, my god! and those sheep WRECK most of the bosses.

I loved all the new stuff this game has gotten since its inital debut on the WiiU and stuff. Having it on my Switch was certainly worth the double dip.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

View attachment 157987

View attachment 157950

View attachment 157989

View attachment 157948

View attachment 157969

View attachment 157988

View attachment 157967

View attachment 157971

View attachment 157975

View attachment 157976

Pretty solid ideas here, I can tell you put a lot of time and thought into this. (kinda wished I thought of grabbing some images for my moveset ideas as well). If I can critique this a bit, It seems like the up and down smashes should be switched around. The Storm Puff sending lightning to the ground would make more sense as a down smash, and the Pike Ball’s strongest aspect is taking care of enemies from above. And to be honest I’d kinda do the same with neutral and down special as well. I agree on having the Ultimate Monado Arts method of transforming, but I feel like having it be her neutral special would reduce the chance of accidental command input. Having it being down special could have players accidentally picking the transformation corresponding with the down button and harder to pick the others as a result.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So uhh was anyone laughing at the end of Ninja Mode? It was the odd sort of hilarious and somewhat disgusting that made me bust a gut I just didnt expect from Shantae.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sure. either one seems great for dair. I see it for nair, and I meant like inventing a new move for her, to be a kick, but it's not because I think it 'should' be that way, It's subjective (how I'm looking at it personally), it just feels like it would fit her well and give more options for hitboxes in the air, rather than just being close or being far.

I'm only being picky on that part cuz I think the rest is really good ;)
Maybe the only other things I could see other than that would be that A could be f-tilt, and she could have a real pummel for A. The kick could also be f-smash if it was strong like that, and the fireball could be a b-move (like instead of the pistol) They tend not to have pistol shots on characters, but maybe that changed since bayo. Anyway, just some different ideas I thought when I looked through.
Thats fine. I can easily see them creating moves just for this game. I just wanted to try to challenge myself with pulling as much as I could from her games.

As for pistol, the fox crews all have guns, as does Diddy, so guns as a B move is not uncommon. I did try to make it different enough from the others, letting it go through walls for her weak one, and also giving it a charge shot mechanic as well

Pretty solid ideas here, I can tell you put a lot of time and thought into this. (kinda wished I thought of grabbing some images for my moveset ideas as well). If I can critique this a bit, It seems like the up and down smashes should be switched around. The Storm Puff sending lightning to the ground would make more sense as a down smash, and the Pike Ball’s strongest aspect is taking care of enemies from above. And to be honest I’d kinda do the same with neutral and down special as well. I agree on having the Ultimate Monado Arts method of transforming, but I feel like having it be her neutral special would reduce the chance of accidental command input. Having it being down special could have players accidentally picking the transformation corresponding with the down button and harder to pick the others as a result.
Thanks! Interesting thoughts on the up and down smash. those could work well.

I was at first putting the Transform on her B... but then I thought of Kirby... and that could be a nightmare for the programers and character model makers as you would need to make kirby themed transformations too. if you didn't its possible that having both transform at once could lead to confusion. I guess you could add a little kirby hat onto the 4 transformations though to try and differentiate them.

Indie DevoTee

Smash Rookie
So uhh was anyone laughing at the end of Ninja Mode? It was the odd sort of hilarious and somewhat disgusting that made me bust a gut I just didnt expect from Shantae.
WayForward is good at poking fun at their own characters. I raised an eyebrow for a moment, but I just laughed after a while. XD

Top Bottom