• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One character or costume at a time :p
It's not a straight ladder down either, like how persona really doesnt match to the sales or popularity of the rest at all. In any case, i dont see the point in shutting doors. Doesnt mean i think some have a lot of chance. I dont think marina has much, but no one's saying she does. She just has some love from her fans :)
Yeah, but the thing is that said love has to contend with many other characters that are loved by fans, with some having love that basically completely dwarf the fan love for Marina.

I doubt that the staff hangs around in forums and other venues to closely supervise every single support base, lord knows how they'd be able to narrow it down for a specific character.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Pretty much this. I loved how Link looked in HW, with the extra armor plates and the blue cape. Fits him so well. I wished we had alt costumes of the HW appearances, at least. HW Ganon would work well, especially with his new Smash attacks. Same with Zelda.
Technically they worked on Three Houses so Byleth could be considered a partial Koei Tecmo character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, but the thing is that said love has to contend with many other characters that are loved by fans, with some having love that basically completely dwarf the fan love for Marina.

I doubt that the staff hangs around in forums and other venues to closely supervise every single support base, lord knows how they'd be able to narrow it down for a specific character.
lol who cares. When you dont even think a character has a chance, it's not really about if they make it in or not. Can still be about 'support' if someone wants. But I'm content just reminiscing about characters I like XD

In a way i think sans only got a costume becuase of the fan support even tho it's still niche.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
As far as I know, no third-party character with less than two games ever got in before, so that might cause an issue. Someone from Sin & Punishment would be easier to get.
I meant that the issue with Marina Liteyears, is knowing who even owns her today.
The companies that were involved with Mischief Makers don't exist anymore.
So who has the legal rights to her now?

ROB had very little :p
No offense, but you seem to be very ignorant about ROBs legacy.
And yes, he has plenty of legacy behind him.
In fact, it's thanks to ROB that the NES succeeded in the West.

Seriously, go watch this video.
And then try telling me with a straight face, that ROB didn't deserve what he got.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I hadn't looked for shantae art in quite a while. I was curious if there's much lately, and there is some, but not much stood out. There is this pixel bead art that was cool: tho:

I meant that the issue with Marina Liteyears, is knowing who even owns her today.
The companies that were involved with Mischief Makers don't exist anymore.
So who has the legal rights to her now?

No offense, but you seem to be very ignorant about ROBs legacy.
And yes, he has plenty of legacy behind him.
In fact, it's thanks to ROB that the NES succeeded in the West.

Seriously, go watch this video.
And then try telling me with a straight face, that ROB didn't deserve what he got.
Listen, you took something i said on the side and made a big thing out of it when i just meant that he's not in any games, just an accessory. (didnt mean the legacy part)
You guys are so uppity, come on relax :p

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Its not fair Marina would be such a cool addition but she has basically zero chance.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Listen, you took something i said on the side and made a big thing out of it when i just meant that he's not in any games, just an accessory. (didnt mean the legacy part)
You guys are so uppity, come on relax :p
Who said I'm not relaxed?
I just wanted to correct an error on your part.
Even if you just meant that he wasn't in many games, that doesn't matter in this case.
ROBs services extend far beyond the scope of his games.

Either way, I think it's still good to share the video.
Since a lot of people don't seem to know his story and thus completely underestimate the impact he had on video gaming as a whole.

Its not fair Marina would be such a cool addition but she has basically zero chance.
I wouldn't say she has 0 chance. I wouldn't say that about any video game character.
It's just that in her case, I can't even begin to figure out, who Sakurai has to go to to ask for permission.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Who said I'm not relaxed?
I just wanted to correct an error on your part.
Even if you just meant that he wasn't in many games, that doesn't matter in this case.
ROBs services extend far beyond the scope of his games.

Either way, I think it's still good to share the video.
Since a lot of people don't seem to know his story and thus completely underestimate the impact he had on video gaming as a whole.

I wouldn't say she has 0 chance. I wouldn't say that about any video game character.
It's just that in her case, I can't even begin to figure out, who Sakurai has to go to to ask for permission.
No errors, though I see I could've phrased things better, but you should try to be open to what someone actually means, not just take things to debate. I dont feel like debating XD The context was the number of games. That's really all I wanted to make a small comment about. I don't think it matters if a character has been in only one game, that's all I meant.

And thankfully the star of the thread has a good amount of games behind her ;p

Right, I'll come back when it's about Shantae again, I'm done with this.
I remember there was a time when we realized some threads were turning into more general talks, and people didn't have much of a problem with it, since there's only so much we can talk about shantae and the others XD

I think most of us like platformers anyway.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I hadn't looked for shantae art in quite a while. I was curious if there's much lately, and there is some, but not much stood out. There is this pixel bead art that was cool: tho:
Reminds me of the one I made ( not nearly as complex as these ) which, when it does, loves to fall off the wall in the middle of the night jumpscaring me haha

107709269_690532631497481_4891016105500494029_n.jpg

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Reminds me of the one I made ( not nearly as complex as these ) which, when it does, loves to off the wall in the middle of the night jumpscaring me haha

View attachment 278225
Lol nice. I like it, I think it's really cool you managed to do it. I'm sure pixel art isn't super complicated but I'm not really a visual artist XD
And actually I always like pixel art. Woudlnt mind seeing more.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Teeb147 Teeb147 I have done three others, trying to use all the colors I had left, but they are not Shantae related so I'll put them under spoiler in order not to get scolded :p

107796522_203720771010124_8099134140988528693_n.jpg
107740289_3215182611875080_252613930691808905_n.jpg
107763594_2874535529340721_1014131575640014682_n.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
ROB had very little :p
But KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 was only talking about 3rd party characters who only had one game appearance ever. ROB is a Nintendo character and he was introduced as a toy at that.

If I had 3 wishes, one of them would probably be wishing to put Marina Liteyears in Smash as all my other wants have a chance and Marina is a literal pipedream that will very likely never happen. If you make a wish, use it wisely on something impossible.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Teeb147 Teeb147 I have done three others, trying to use all the colors I had left, but they are not Shantae related so I'll put them under spoiler in order not to get scolded :p

Very cute MajestyIndigo MajestyIndigo . It's a nice hobby :)
I did find a pic of a bead keychain of shantae, I wonder if it's easy to do and stays intact
_beads__commission__shantae_for_devylost_by_lamialuna13-d9xil0y.png

But KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 was only talking about 3rd party characters who only had one game appearance ever. ROB is a Nintendo character and he was introduced as a toy at that.
I don't think it matters. If a character has 'something' to get into the game, I think it can happen so long as sakurai and nintendo are ok with it. and fan support definitely helps.
I know costumes dont count for as much, but i still think it's pretty big that cuphead and sans got such detailed costumes.

In any case, I apologize for being a bit headstrong and dismissive of a few things, but I'll drop the subject because for some reason it got a little charged.

Last edited:

Genome

Smash Cadet
I recently beat the first Shantae game on the GBC and am looking forward to playing a few others (Definitely a supporter).
Where do you guys see Shantae fitting in on FP2? Earlier or later?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I recently beat the first Shantae game on the GBC and am looking forward to playing a few others (Definitely a supporter).
Welcome ;)

I don't really see any reason for one spot or another, personally. Maybe a bit less the last one, i feel like they might want that spot for something else, but yeah, any of the 2-6- spots sounds good to me :p

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully sooner than later.

People get awfully spiteful when it's the final reveal or even nearing it, granted, I know it wouldn't be Corrin or Byleth levels of hate. But the closer to the final reveal the more nitpicky the Smash fandom gets and Shantae is hardly immune to shallow bandwagon hate to begin with.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Middle. She popular, but I dont think she's end/start with a bang popular. Then again byleth was the last one for fp1 and we all know how that turned out.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
So... If Shantae gets in, you think she might brought content from other WF games (Music or Spirits)? Like Mighty Switch Force, LIT, or CatGirl Without Salad?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would honestly say later in the Pass. She could have been one of the original intended E3 reveals which is the next two fighters, but I'm too sure. I believe if she is in, she is in the later half of the Pass.

Dukefire

Smash Master
What I think, she might be in the later half of the pass since she is popular to many people, but is still overshadowed with other requested characters.

Still, with Risky's Revenge and the Original Shantae on the GBC coming to switch and physical copy re-release. There is no doubt that it is not hard to find shantae now unlike the previous years prior to Pirate's Curse and topic during Smash 4 DLC discussion

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The NEW tag has ben removed from the Smash Bros. Website

Direct/Smash announcement incoming.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The NEW tag has ben removed from the Smash Bros. Website

Direct/Smash announcement incoming.
Good to know. maybe there really will be that july 20th direct. wouldnt mind knowing who's next.

im thinking it'll be 3rd party now, after byleth and min min

Dukefire

Smash Master
The mystery still continues to unfold as July 20th approaches.......

For Shantae's appearance on a direct as a Fighter, I doubt she would show up since Seven Sirens is out and WF still plays by their rules on showing games belonging to them. (Though, they were present for the Treehouse as part with Bakugan being made. Which was WB that was making it.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The mystery still continues to unfold as July 20th approaches.......

For Shantae's appearance on a direct as a Fighter, I doubt she would show up since Seven Sirens is out and WF still plays by their rules on showing games belonging to them. (Though, they were present for the Treehouse as part with Bakugan being made. Which was WB that was making it.)
Lots of games were out already when their fighter made it into smash, so i wouldnt worry about it. I'll try not to make too much of things if they show the shantae games coming to switch in a direct XD But imagine if Shantae would actually make it as the next fighter :D

Dukefire

Smash Master
Lots of games were out already when their fighter made it into smash, so i wouldnt worry about it. I'll try not to make too much of things if they show the shantae games coming to switch in a direct XD But imagine if Shantae would actually make it as the next fighter :D
That would sound great, but I still think it is not Shantae's time yet with her hype more on all 5 games now on the switch with her first debut now getting a re-release for the GBC physical copy

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think we'll have one more first party this pass, but it could really be anyone. We don't know what Nintendo has planned for the rest of 2020 and 2021, so if it's promotional it could be anything. I'm banking on Rex and Pyra though. If they announce another first party character next, I can see them saying that everyone else in the pass will be third party to spark some speculation, but they usually don't deconfirm anyone if they don't have to.

I see Shantae being anywhere from 7th to 10th, just not last since I feel that spot is reserved for either Geno or Crash.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
I think we'll have one more first party this pass, but it could really be anyone. We don't know what Nintendo has planned for the rest of 2020 and 2021, so if it's promotional it could be anything. I'm banking on Rex and Pyra though.
Yeah, if we're getting more first parties I fully expect Rex & Pyra or some sort of XB2 representation. They gave Arms a spot and no one really cared about that one so I see no way Nintendo wouldn't try to milk XB2 further.

Rather surprised at how quickly it seems we're getting more news. Makes me wonder if this'll be one of those ones like Joker where we'll just get a trailer and no actual gameplay stuff for a long time afterwards.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't know if there will be a double reveal this direct, but I will welcome it should it appear.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know if there will be a double reveal this direct, but I will welcome it should it appear.
Lol that's pretty optimistic. Considering just how slow things have been up til min min, i have a hard time thinking there could be a double reveal :p
They didn't set a deadline for when all the characters would be out, right? for FP2 I mean.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think we'll have one more first party this pass, but it could really be anyone. We don't know what Nintendo has planned for the rest of 2020 and 2021, so if it's promotional it could be anything. I'm banking on Rex and Pyra though. If they announce another first party character next, I can see them saying that everyone else in the pass will be third party to spark some speculation, but they usually don't deconfirm anyone if they don't have to.

I see Shantae being anywhere from 7th to 10th, just not last since I feel that spot is reserved for either Geno or Crash.
I think both Geno and Crash are getting in. I'm banking on them being the next two fighters since whoever is #77 and #78 were very likely originally intended to be announced at E3 before the event got cancelled since E3 always has at least two Smash reveals. I think if Shantae is in she will either be #79 or #80.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to take R RetrogamerMax 's advice and give Shantae and the Pirate's Curse a try. I'm assuming that the series isn't too plot heavy, and while I tried playing the games in order, the original game seems a bit too outdated (or limited by the system it's on), thanks to enemies popping out of nowhere (with limited options to evade or fight them), a distinct lack of health (Shantae can only take six hits, which happen quickly when the enemies appear with little to no warning), and (unless I've missed something) no map, meaning that I'm wandering around aimlessly.

I don't know if I'll miss anything important by skipping the GBC game or Risky's Revenge (I have them on the 3DS and Wii U, respectively; I got Risky's Revenge and Half-Genie Hero in case the Wii U eShop suddenly shut down, since I assume there won't be as much advance warning as what we got with the Wii), but I'm assuming Pirate's Curse is easier to get into.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hey guys! How’s it going around here? Made this for Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy for her birthday yesterday, and thought I’d share it here too.
3E9CBB69-CFDE-4480-883D-334BFC191BC7.jpeg

Also I’m working on getting Seven Sirens soon.

I'm going to take R RetrogamerMax 's advice and give Shantae and the Pirate's Curse a try. I'm assuming that the series isn't too plot heavy, and while I tried playing the games in order, the original game seems a bit too outdated (or limited by the system it's on), thanks to enemies popping out of nowhere (with limited options to evade or fight them), a distinct lack of health (Shantae can only take six hits, which happen quickly when the enemies appear with little to no warning), and (unless I've missed something) no map, meaning that I'm wandering around aimlessly.

I don't know if I'll miss anything important by skipping the GBC game or Risky's Revenge (I have them on the 3DS and Wii U, respectively; I got Risky's Revenge and Half-Genie Hero in case the Wii U eShop suddenly shut down, since I assume there won't be as much advance warning as what we got with the Wii), but I'm assuming Pirate's Curse is easier to get into.
At least watch a playthrough of RR since there’s some plot stuff that might help you understand what’s going on in PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom