• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
600 posts away to the big 40k. That's quite an insane milestone. Can't wait to reach it in a month or so.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
600 posts away to the big 40k. That's quite an insane milestone. Can't wait to reach it in a month or so.
1 month sounds about right. But hey you never know what might pop up that could skyrocket the count xD

Just being a little optimistic ;p

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
1 month sounds about right. But hey you never know what might pop up that could skyrocket the count xD

Just being a little optimistic ;p
Speaking of things that could pop up, no Direct announcement yet. We've still got this evening and the weekend, but they could also decide to just drop it like the Direct Mini on Monday as well.
Or if you want to be pessimistic, the Direct doesn't exist at all lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speaking of things that could pop up, no Direct announcement yet. We've still got this evening and the weekend, but they could also decide to just drop it like the Direct Mini on Monday as well.
Lol. Well, I dunno. some people heard there was a direct, so there might be.
It would defniitely be nice to have a full direct after all this time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm leaning towards shadow-drop at this stage, seeing how they would be polite and courteous enough to let the release hype and inevitable disappointment for Paper Mario, and the current ace pilot tournament to die down first.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Still a chance for a full direct. Dont count your chicks before they hatch.
Who knows really.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Moon is real. That makes 2 for the 4chan leak. Now what else on there is real...?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Generally speaking, there are text leaks where half is real and the other half is a load of buffalo biscuits. Or are like the 5Chan leak and end up being pure guesswork. The trick here is to figure out what's fake.

And we still aren't 100% sure if the Direct will happen at all.

Still a chance for a full direct. Dont count your chicks before they hatch.
Who knows really.
If you want to wait all night, be my guest. :drshrug: I still think we'll have to wait two more days.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Moon is real. That makes 2 for the 4chan leak. Now what else on there is real...?
Moon was actually announced months ago.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
In rather unrelated news, it seems James has started an Akinator trend on Twitter. I aspire to achieve his social media prowess one day.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shantae wasnt nearly as big as she is now back in the brawl days. I think she only had 2 games to her name then.
Actually, the original Shantae was the only game in the series back when Brawl came out. Plus the series was in purgatory back then since Risky's Revenge didn't come out until 8 years after the original.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, she had humble beginnings way back to just the GBC. She could have done better if the system wasn't finished and taken over with the GBA(Though, you do get the tinkerbat dance should you insert the game into the GBA).

Now, more will get to experience the original shantae once september rolls over.

Artist: Mariiboops
ddsgy9f-adaeb2d1-b821-4167-9e5d-834be2d03efe.png

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I hope to get myself a GBC Repo cart from LRG when it starts up for pre-orders

As for the leak, It's a 4chan text leak. I see no reason to believe it. At least the Ken Leak, as much as I had doubted it back in 2018, had an actual photograph attached to it. And Grinch Leak, while fake, I found to be absolutely hilarious for how large a **** show it was.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

As for the leak, It's a 4chan text leak. I see no reason to believe it. At least the Ken Leak, as much as I had doubted it back in 2018, had an actual photograph attached to it. And Grinch Leak, while fake, I found to be absolutely hilarious for how large a **** show it was.
Yeah, the only /v/ text leak that was ever any good was the one for :ultken:, :ultincineroar: and :ultpiranha:, and even then it was only noticed after the fact among a sea of "me toos".
Alongside the recent specific one, another one came at the same time, claiming it'd be a :ultmario:-centric Direct, and saying Kamek is FP8...while somehow forgetting to mention FP7.

And ironically, the most accurate DLC text leaks usually come straight from the horse's mouth via various slip-ups.

So yeah, best to wait until Monday morning to see if anything happens.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

To be fair, the leak hasn't been proven true really.
Someone could've photoshopped Ken onto that image, since how overused that pose of his was.
And the thing he faked ended up becoming real in the end.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, the leak hasn't been proven true really.
Someone could've photoshopped Ken onto that image, since how overused that pose of his was.
And the thing he faked ended up becoming real in the end.
The thing is, no one had ever seen that model of him before, especially compared to his appearance in SFV, the most recent SF game (which should be starting its final DLC season soon, incidentally). Also, let's keep in mind that posts in 4Chan eventually disappear when they aren't bumped, so even if Nintendo caught wind of it, the evidence would have been gone anyway.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The thing is, no one had ever seen that model of him before, especially compared to his appearance in SFV, the most recent SF game (which should be starting its final DLC season soon, incidentally). Also, let's keep in mind that posts in 4Chan eventually disappear when they aren't bumped, so even if Nintendo caught wind of it, the evidence would have been gone anyway.
Yeah, it's difficult to tell now either way.
Still, I wouldn't say said leak was proven true, even if the image did show a character that made it in the end.
Sometimes people go to great lengths to make fake leaks.
I mean, the infamous Grinch leak is a prime example for that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's difficult to tell now either way.
Still, I wouldn't say said leak was proven true, even if the image did show a character that made it in the end.
Someone people go to great lengths to make fake leaks.
I mean, the infamous Grinch leak is a prime example for that.
You're saying that it was made by a fake leaker that apparently not only had enough talent to make a good-looking 3D render (which, compared to hand-painted art, is a wee bit tougher), not only had access to photoshop software that can perfectly emulate the source engine, not only had an actual good piece of camera equipment that wasn't super-blurry (the blur is usually a telltale sign that an image leak is fake), but that the model even somehow ended up being the exact same design also thought up by the staffers?

The probability of what you suggest has happened is so slim that the alleged faker would have to be a current/former game designer or an actual soothsayer.

Most fakers can only dream of doing that much effort, and even the Grincher still had their stuff be blurred-out to lure people.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm still thinking that a direct may not appear on July 20th.

I wait until more official news appears when Nintendo is ready. Though, the things happening is not making it easy to make it slide.
Screenshot_20200710-103625_YouTube.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm still thinking that a direct may not appear on July 20th.

I wait until more official news appears when Nintendo is ready. Though, the things happening is not making it easy to make it slide.
Don't assume nothing happens until Monday hits, things seldom happen on a Weekend (unless you're Dragon Quest).

There's always September 13, just in case.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm less hopeful on the direct now, but definitely aint giving up on some news soon XD Who knows tho, if it's a mini like some say, might still get something smash-related.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You're saying that it was made by a fake leaker that apparently not only had enough talent to make a good-looking 3D render (which, compared to hand-painted art, is a wee bit tougher), not only had access to photoshop software that can perfectly emulate the source engine, not only had an actual good piece of camera equipment that wasn't super-blurry (the blur is usually a telltale sign that an image leak is fake), but that the model even somehow ended up being the exact same design also thought up by the staffers?

The probability of what you suggest has happened is so slim that the alleged faker would have to be a current/former game designer or an actual soothsayer.

Most fakers can only dream of doing that much effort, and even the Grincher still had their stuff be blurred-out to lure people.
Slim chance, maybe... But not impossible.
Never underestimate the lengths that some people are willing to go through, to see things through. ;)
Probability doesn't mean truth, after all...

But it seems moot to talk about this now.
So yeah, back to waiting for news. ;P

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And here we go. Have fun chewing over this one, given their reputation. I'm out of this thread until things eventually go back to normal.

They're popular, but they don't really know much. Just more speculation.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
My two cents: I feel a Direct soon in inevitable. Paper Mario is out now and with that the public has no clue for their future plans. Aside from some third parties who have announced releasing games for the system and a few announced updates like the August update for Animal Crossing and the second half of Pokemon DLC.

Now, from all the press it sounds like they are anticipating a fair bit of disappointment regarding Paper Mario (as in they know the section of fans who want something like the first two will still not be happy with it) So I doubt they are counting on enthusiasm for the game to carry their fanbase for very long. So they need some kind of announcement to keep people looking forward to something.

Maybe a full Direct is too much to hope for as they could just keep stringing us along by shadow revealing single trailers for games a month away like the did with Paper Mario, but I imagine doing that for too long would upset the investors.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While I won't say GameXplain are leakers, I will say they do in fact have some inside connections with Nintendo. Not everyone get's to Interview Reggie or Miyamoto.
They havent really shown much inside knowledge, and they're going off the leak that most think is fake too in the video, so I dont know what else to say XD

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Man video editing takes a long time, but it's so rewarding to see your finished product. I think I'll watch that GameXplain video later while I make the thumbnail.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with FP2 being kind of confirmed to be the last of the DLC, what are y'alls' thoughts? I hope Shantae makes it in, but I'm not going to die if she doesn't. I got 3 of my most wanted in this game with K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie so I will be satisfied with the outcome of this roster no matter what.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So with FP2 being kind of confirmed to be the last of the DLC, what are y'alls' thoughts? I hope Shantae makes it in, but I'm not going to die if she doesn't. I got 3 of my most wanted in this game with K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie so I will be satisfied with the outcome of this roster no matter what.
Not satisfied at all up to now. I like Min min, but at the same time I dont know if a long range style suits me.
Isabelle is more of a villager clone, so that's a little disappointing. But I guess I did get 'something'.

Besides my most wanted, I'd like to see some kirby character. I'm sure there's characters i havent even thought about that I could like tho.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The only two characters I've felt excited for were Inkling and Joker personally. I really need that clincher character, whether it be Shantae or Phoenix.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
jesus I just realized you were the WingedSuperNova from Youtube, I never really paid enough attention to your username on here. I just didnt connect the two.

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
Joker and Byleth were the only characters I was excited for so far, hoping to see Shantae, Rean, or KOS-MOS, those are the other 3 characters I would be extremely excited for, lol.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So far, the DLC hasn't done much for me. I haven't bought any of it yet as I'm not sure if I want to save money by buying the few characters I care about or if having the full experience is that important to me.

So far the DLC characters have been underwhelming for me. I am very excited about Banjo and Kazooie, and I like Min Min (tho she looks like the kind of character I would be terrible with) and beyond that I kind of don't care. Hero is ok, Joker and Byleth don't amuse me at all and honestly I'm still salty about Terry.

On the whole, Ultimate finally gave me a game where I can have both Mewtwo and Squirtle, so I can't really complain, but the last 5 fighters don't have to work hard to outshine the last batch for me.

Dixie, Mipha, Shantae, Morrigan would all make me happy... Any others I really want would be ones whose popularity are far outshined by similar characters so there isn't much point naming them here. Tho honestly if Shantae gets in I will probably buy all the DLC just to have the complete package.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only two characters I've felt excited for were Inkling and Joker personally. I really need that clincher character, whether it be Shantae or Phoenix.
Believe me, when you get your most wanted characters in your top 5 or 3, it's a surreal feeling. I was so excited when K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie both got revealed that I almost had a heart attack seeing both of their reveals. "Everyone Is Here!" Made me brain dead so I couldn't process the excitement for Ridley's reveal after seeing that.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Ridley was a character I wanted in Smash for the longest time.
So him and Inkling already made the game worth it for me.

And honestly, I don't get how one can possibly say Fighter's Pass was a complete waste.
I agree with that statement only for Byleth.
A character that was obviously a brand deal.
Who didn't bring a new series into Smash and added just one more character to a series that already has much more representation in Smash, than it actually deserves.
Fire Emblem isn't even close to being one of the bigger Nintendo franchises, and yet it is one of the top 3 represented franchises in Smash.
Beating even giants like Zelda, Sonic or Metal Gear by a mile.

But the rest of the Fighter's Pass was far from a waste.
Joker is an amazing character and protagonist of a highly acclaimed JRPG.
Hero represents one of the biggest RPGs in Japan.
Banjo-Kazooie is a cult classic,
And Terry is from a beloved fighting game series, from Capcom-rival SNK, bringing them back into the public eye.

And most important of all. All of these characters brought a new franchise into Smash Bros.
Franchises that were all fairly popular and far from unknown nobody's.
How anyone could say the whole Fighter's Pass was a waste, is beyond me... :/

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Believe me, when you get your most wanted characters in your top 5 or 3, it's a surreal feeling. I was so excited when K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie both got revealed that I almost had a heart attack seeing both of their reveals. "Everyone Is Here!" Made me brain dead so I couldn't process the excitement for Ridley's reveal after seeing that.
Joker was the closest one to that for me. I'd say he was #5 on my most wanted going into DLC. As soon as Joker popped up during the Game Awards I got out of my chair and stepped away from my computer. And then when the letter flipped over I jumped and screamed. My college roommate had never seen me move so fast it was hilarious.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When you're someone like me who owes Smash for learning about 70% of the franchises that I play today, you realize that it's more fun to not pine too hard for specific characters, because sometimes the fighters that leave the biggest impressions are the ones that you know the least about or have little attachment to.

Ridley's inclusion struck a chord for me not necessarily just for being a fighter, but because of the personality he shows that was at risk of being forgotten due to his usual roles not really giving the chance to show it. It opens many windows for future appearances to flesh him out more, and new faces to Ultimate can see the full extent of who, rather than what, Ridley is.

And to this day, most crossover appearances I see in games that I play, not just Smash, have led to strong game recommendations. I don't know how many people will say they first learned about CrossCode and Lea from playing One Step From Eden, but I am one of them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dragon Quest is one of my favorite rpg series, so in normal circumstances I should say that a series i really like got into smash, but the disappointment over there being no female alts for erdrick and four were big for me, that I just put it out of my mind. Sometimes I play with eight, but it's just such a drag it came so close and yet didnt reach to the peak for me that I can't be excited for that dlc. I also think the magic menu could've shown on the character somehow, to make it easier to see the spells.

Byleth is a case where I just love the character design, but the fighting style just doesn't work for me. I probably wouldn't care as much if it wasn't that I look more at the competitive side, I'm sure there's times where I'll enjoy again just using them for casual fun, but it still always does matter to me how they play. Maybe I'm too picky XD

Min Min is a case that I do actually like how she plays, I'm satisfied with her, it's just I don't know if i'll keep her as my main. probably more part of my secondaries.

If Shantae makes it in, I figure she'll play a little like in her games, which should be neat :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom