• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Here's somthing I think about sometimes, since my mind often wanders to the future: Would Shantae stick around for Smash 6? I feel like certain third parties (Bayonetta, Pacman, Megaman, Sonic) are likely to stick around for future instalments in the base roster, but some third parties (The Konami bois, Ryu, Cloud) would be in danger of the chopping block due to various reason. If Shantae got in; do you think she would stick around due to her close ties with Nintendo and her status as an Indie rep?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Here's somthing I think about sometimes, since my mind often wanders to the future: Would Shantae stick around for Smash 6? I feel like certain third parties (Bayonetta, Pacman, Megaman, Sonic) are likely to stick around for future instalments in the base roster, but some third parties (The Konami bois, Ryu, Cloud) would be in danger of the chopping block due to various reason. If Shantae got in; do you think she would stick around due to her close ties with Nintendo and her status as an Indie rep?
Thats.... hard to say. Sakurai is trying to make this his magnium opus, and I doubt he will work on the next one. Plus we won't get Smash 6 till the next consol, at least 5-6 years away if not more. I feel like we will get a very long update history for this game at the very least though

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Marvel Vs Capcom isn't a Smash clone neither is Street Fighter. Brawlhalla on the other hand IS a Smash clone(it's literally in the name lol). So yeah those two game series do not directly compete with Smash Bros unlike Brawlhalla.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah, I can see that for WF and Shantae for sure, but not Ubisoft. Sure it could mean Ubisoft is not pushing for Rayman in smash as hard, as putting him in smash and brawlhala could split your sales, but we need to wait and see
That is a good point. If Rayman in Smash, Rayman fans will most likely flock to Ultimate instead of this game. They're splitting their sales (would they even get any profits from Smash?) and that's not a smart business decision.

So if we assume that both Rayman and Skull Kid our out and Sakurai is going by the ballot, then it does help Shantae's chances.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Guys i'm scared of what happened to Rayman.... if WF announces something related to a crossover with Shantae that isn't Smash, then i think it'll be game over

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Guys i'm scared of what happened to Rayman.... if WF announces something related to a crossover with Shantae that isn't Smash, then i think it'll be game over
Time will tell. I saw the Rayman thread. I'm surprised with how well they're taking the news. I still don't think it's immediate deconfirmation of him, but I'd consider it a "strike" against him at this point (if we're considering the whole "exclusivity contract" idea).

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Don't worry, if Shantae wasn't in Smash then WayForward would have just come out and say it a long time ago. Which they haven't even talked about anything with "Shantae and Smash" in the same sentence for years should calm your worries.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
If she gets in any fighting game that's an official product(apologies to Super Smash Bros Crusade), then that's still good news for Shantae. Sure, she'd get way more exposure in Smash, but it would still be good publicity?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
If she gets in any fighting game that's an official product(apologies to Super Smash Bros Crusade), then that's still good news for Shantae. Sure, she'd get way more exposure in Smash, but it would still be good publicity?
Exactly plus people wanted her to be in other fighting games like Blade Strangers and such yet no concrete answers from WF.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I feel that WF would have told us that Shantae isn't in Smash when people first started asking them about it, but it is very odd that she's not in fighting games - fighting games that are essentially Smash clones.

Taking everything into consideration and how out of character WF has been acting, I do think that she's in the game in some form. I just hope she's playable and not an assist trophy.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
He got confirmed for Brawlhalla.
At first i thought this was some kind of hint from Ubi that he'd be in Smash, but after reading posts with various points of view, now i'm leaning towards him being added in Brawlhalla as a consolation prize for not making it into Smash

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So Skull Kid and Rayman are possibly out of the running... that just leaves Geno, BK, a pokemon or two, Impa or Hilda as echoes, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Isabelle, Shadow (and Isaac?)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
He got confirmed for Brawlhalla, aka an indie 2D fighter in vein of Smash published by Ubisoft themselves.
Well that's lovely. I mean, I like those news, both for rayman in that game, and it might mean he's got even lower chances for smash now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd say yes. WF isn't as big a developer as the other guys, so they need all the publicity they can get.

At first i thought this was some kind of hint from Ubi that he'd be in Smash, but after reading posts with various points of view, now i'm leaning towards him being added in Brawlhalla as a consolation prize for not making it into Smash
>free to play
Is it any good? Because I'm not sure I can trust that format.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
I don't wanna sound too optimistic here, but this may be our pseudo-confirmation here. If you put stock in the "background hints" of the 8.8 Direct, believe LeakyPandy's sources of a deconfirmed Skull Kid, and think that Rayman's inclusion in Brawlhala deconfirms him...

then there is literally no other popular character who matches the background hints but our girl.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's crazy how this thread can talk about nearly anything that happens in the Smash speculation scene and bring it back to how it helps or hinders Shantae's chances. It's rather interesting and I think it's the reason this thread has grown to the size it has. Heck, I am pretty sure we will hit page 100 tomorrow.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
It's crazy how this thread can talk about nearly anything that happens in the Smash speculation scene and bring it back to how it helps or hinders Shantae's chances. It's rather interesting and I think it's the reason this thread has grown to the size it has. Heck, I am pretty sure we will hit page 100 tomorrow.
I'll tell you what:

I've never been part of a character speculation with so many interesting things happening around (lurked during Brawl, participated since Sm4sh). It's difficult not to get a little excited, know what I mean? This could all still mean nothing for Shantae in the end, but that perspective is seeming more and more difficult to consider. It's almost wild the amount of "coincidences" just seem to stack in her favor.

This thread's recent liveliness is a testament to that.

It started out like a few of small things. At one point, they were just "bread crumbs" of sorts, but now it's like we have a whole bowl-full of these "crumbs".

So Skull Kid and Rayman are possibly out of the running... that just leaves Geno, BK, a pokemon or two, Impa or Hilda as echoes, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Isabelle, Shadow (and Isaac?)
I don't wanna sound too optimistic here, but this may be our pseudo-confirmation here. If you put stock in the "background hints" of the 8.8 Direct, believe LeakyPandy's sources of a deconfirmed Skull Kid, and think that Rayman's inclusion in Brawlhala deconfirms him...

then there is literally no other popular character who matches the background hints but our girl.
Indeed...

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
If we do assume that Skull Kid and Rayman are out of the running, I think these characters still have a reasonable chance. This is assuming that Sakurai is going by the ballot. This doesn't include any random Pokemon/retro/WTF character Sakurai might add.

Issac
Banjo-Kazooie (Assuming they aren't DLC. If they are DLC, then I think Elma is likely to go here)
Geno
Bandana Waddle Dee
Shantae

If we add a Pokemon/retro/WTF character that gives us six more original newcomers, which is what I've been predicting.

I'm starting to believe that we might not get a new Pokemon rep until DLC. We have no reason to believe there is one aside from Vergaben who is sketchy AF. While I'm not getting my hopes up, I have raised Shantae's chances from 50% to 60% as I think she's more likely right now than she was yesterday.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
I've never been part of a character speculation with so many interesting things happening around (lurked during Brawl, participated since Sm4sh). It's difficult not to get a little excited, know what I mean? This could all still mean nothing for Shantae in the end, but that perspective is seeming more and more difficult to consider. It's almost wild the amount of "coincidences" just seem to stack in her favor.

It started out like a few of small things. At one point, they were just "bread crumbs" of sorts, but now it's like we have a whole bowl-full of these "crumbs".
It's a little scary, I have to say. I have a text document full of all of our little bread crumbs and it seems like more and more just keeps pointing towards the same thing...

I should make a sick af infographic with all of our speculations on it.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's a little scary, I have to say. I have a text document full of all of our little bread crumbs and it seems like more and more just keeps pointing towards the same thing...

I should make a sick af infographic with all of our speculations on it.
It would be nice to have something that shows off all our evidence at once if we don't already have something like that. Really, this whole speculation thread has been like watching a snow ball roll down a mountain and it is has neither stopped growing or rolling.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
That would be amazing if Shantae were to come in. Though I personally find her inclusion to be more on the unlikely side, that's me being my pessimistic self, though. Though if this unusual silence with WayForward/Nintendo/Christina Vee is correlated to this, I think we're going to be in for a good treat.

Though I am a pessimist first and foremost, I do find it pretty awesome to see more people than just me calling for Shantae's inclusion into Smash Bros, and that over the years, seeing Shantae go from a virtual nobody with that one GBC game most people see as Shovelware to a serious contender in both the Americas and Japan makes me smile. However, using random pieces of furniture as hints for the bigger picture seems quite foolish to me.

There is one truth though. While I can understand why certain characters can/can't come in, if Shantae is nothing more than a replacement Sable Prince, I swear I will be angry for around a day, before going on with my life as if nothing happened, with some subconscious anger bubbling up on occasion. Ultimately, however, I hope to the Gods I never use this anger to just rage at Sakurai, because the guy worked his ass off and deserves a good rest and even at this point, the game is basically his Magnum Opus.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
It would be nice to have something that shows off all our evidence at once if we don't already have something like that. Really, this whole speculation thread has been like watching a snow ball roll down a mountain and it is has neither stopped growing or rolling.
Let me know if I'm missing any info before I start.

https://pastebin.com/Y0G3m7Mf

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Shantae may not have huge amounts of evidence, but she does have tons and tons of small evidence pointing towards her favor and when you start adding that evidence together...

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Let me know if I'm missing any info before I start.

https://pastebin.com/WRb8ZwQn
What about the strange tweets that WayForward has made like the one where they replied to like a 5-day old tweet by saying something like: "Well she's doing great! Her favorite summer pastime is enjoying picnics with her friends on the beach!"

Like they replied to someone who was genuinely concerned that there was "no Shantae news" or something. I don't remember it exactly and it always seemed odd.

Other recent tweets seem peculiar as well like the one with the capitalized "CONFIRM", and how they reply to almost anyone saying anything BUT Shantae and Smash simultaneously. These were general non-answer replies as well.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
If we do assume that Skull Kid and Rayman are out of the running, I think these characters still have a reasonable chance. This is assuming that Sakurai is going by the ballot. This doesn't include any random Pokemon/retro/WTF character Sakurai might add.

Issac
Banjo-Kazooie (Assuming they aren't DLC. If they are DLC, then I think Elma is likely to go here)
Geno
Bandana Waddle Dee
Shantae

If we add a Pokemon/retro/WTF character that gives us six more original newcomers, which is what I've been predicting.

I'm starting to believe that we might not get a new Pokemon rep until DLC. We have no reason to believe there is one aside from Vergaben who is sketchy AF. While I'm not getting my hopes up, I have raised Shantae's chances from 50% to 60% as I think she's more likely right now than she was yesterday.
For me I like 5-6, but still not sold on Waddle Dee or Issac. well more sold for Issac then Bandana Dee.I think Elma is a bit more likely then Issac(mostly due to relevance.) and I am sure we are getting both a Pokemon and a Retro/WTF character.

It would be very odd for is not to get a pokemon rep, but I can maybe see it happening if Sakurai wanted a 7th gen but couldn't get one in on time. If that was the case though I felt he would add a 3rd or 5th gen then add 7th gen as DLC

Also for Issac... is greatest threat is Geno. Geno and Issac are both fan favorites from a sleeping franchize(counting RPG as different from Mario and Luigi and Paper mario games) Of the 2 I see Geno is much more likely. hard to see both getting in. Unless Banjo is not coming then I see Issac and Geno in

I mean I could be wrong, and would be happy to be wrong. any of those characters I would love to play as. Bandana Dee is the only one I see having trouble, but I know he has his fans and I won't be upset if he makes it in.

Along with those 5-6 newcomers we should be getting 6-7 echos along them. In the order I beleive they will be shown off

Dixie
Isabelle
Medusa
Shadow
Dark Shadow
Ken/Akuma
Ms pack Man

And if we get a 7th then Ninten as well. or Yarn Yoshi. Yoshi and Captain Falcon are the only OG cast members on their own. Black shadow seems like an easy clone, and Yarn Yoshi... well could work. May be called lazy but we have mario and docter mario

A1Again

Smash Cadet
Shantae may not have huge amounts of evidence, but she does have tons and tons of small evidence pointing towards her favor and when you start adding that evidence together...
A jury CAN sentence you on a substantial amount of circumstantial evidence, which is what we truly have in my eyes. It may be easy to push away one thing, but when you look at it as a whole, things start to piece together like a puzzle.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm getting a little tired of people mentioning Sable Prince here. He appeared in one obscure Japan-only GameBoy game. Frankly, it would be a little insulting for him to be added over Shantae when she has so much more history with Nintendo. It's also insulting to say that Shantae is a "replacement" for him. Shantae is way more than a "replacement" for a character Nintendo hasn't touched since 1992.

While I'm not completely confident about Shantae's chances, you can't ignore the evidence that is in her favor.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Redemption was when Shantae recovered from her terribly-timed launch, to eventually be the indie queen alongside indie king Shovel Knight. Her title will only truly be cemented, however, if she gets in Smash, or continues her track record.
So if she gets into Smash will she become Indie Goddess Empress Shantae?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh it doesn't bother me anymore haha

My main reason to usually tend to play female characters is because they often end up being the only good-looking characters in their series ! ( And NO Waluigi is not handsome lmao )
They are almost always designed beautifully, and I have a thing for beautiful things haha.
In Fire Emblem for exemple, my favorite characters are surprisingly male for the most part because they look equally as good as the gals in these games !

The reason I was drawn in Shantae in the first place was because of her super cool design, then I found out about the amazing universe, music, games ect ect ect she has going for her.
I don't have any particular gender bias in gaming, it's a case-by-case basis on what I think looks better. Or in the case of Monster Hunter, make one of both.

I owe the Wii U's infamous droughts and, perhaps, positive coverage by Nintendo Power for getting me into the series, starting with Pirate's Curse. I just knew it was high-quality, but didn't really have time or the means to see for myself. While I liked it and Half-Genie Hero well enough at the time, it wasn't until I visited this thread, and learned much more about the series & it's characters to truly appreciate it.

That would be amazing if Shantae were to come in. Though I personally find her inclusion to be more on the unlikely side, that's me being my pessimistic self, though. Though if this unusual silence with WayForward/Nintendo/Christina Vee is correlated to this, I think we're going to be in for a good treat.

Though I am a pessimist first and foremost, I do find it pretty awesome to see more people than just me calling for Shantae's inclusion into Smash Bros, and that over the years, seeing Shantae go from a virtual nobody with that one GBC game most people see as Shovelware to a serious contender in both the Americas and Japan makes me smile. However, using random pieces of furniture as hints for the bigger picture seems quite foolish to me.

There is one truth though. While I can understand why certain characters can/can't come in, if Shantae is nothing more than a replacement Sable Prince, I swear I will be angry for around a day, before going on with my life as if nothing happened, with some subconscious anger bubbling up on occasion. Ultimately, however, I hope to the Gods I never use this anger to just rage at Sakurai, because the guy worked his *** off and deserves a good rest and even at this point, the game is basically his Magnum Opus.
It seems more like the original Shantae was critically acclaimed (though not without it's faults) and those who played it enjoyed well enough to earn it a cult status. Somewhat like Metroid, a hit critically and with the fans but not selling particularly well.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Honestly this thread is great. It's like every bit of anything that could be evidence is put onto a conspiracy web wall. It's neat! The evidence is always growing here, and this is pretty fun for speculation because it feels like nobody really bashes characters or is super negative here. It's good!
Plus, I really just hope she gets in. I hope this evidence leads to the right conclusion and you crazy detectives were right.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ninten from Earthbound Beginnings and Ken from Street Fighter are also looking promising as potential echoes too.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I don't know. I feel really, really hesitant to include this. I know we reach sometimes, but this is really going deep looking for a hint.
At this point there is no denying the facts:
WF silence
Background furniture
Both Skull Kid and Rayman being dropped from the running thanks to credible sources
Cristina V silence
Ballot position
Sakurai using Ballot for choosing new material
The lists goes on and on.
I am literally getting that Palutena vibe from all this if you all know what I mean.

Top Bottom