• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And this is why Pandy has far more credibility than Vergaben in my books. Pandy at least owns up to their mistakes while Verg passes the buck to his "source". Pandy is willing to stake his reputation on this - Verg has no reputation to lose.
It also helps that Pandy's motive for this is much more respectable. I will not lie, Skull Kid being disconfirmed will start another fire, so any semblance of warning before hand is needed if this is the case. Pandy is taking it upon themself to do this, even if it has some risks. Meanwhile Verg does what they do for attention and has made it clear in the past that they have no respect for the Smash fan base.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
None shall stand in our way of our REDEMPTION.
Redemption was when Shantae recovered from her terribly-timed launch, to eventually be the indie queen alongside indie king Shovel Knight. Her title will only truly be cemented, however, if she gets in Smash, or continues her track record.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Everything'll be cleared up in not too long, when we get directs.

But yeah it's nice if some blows can be softened a bit, I guess. One way or another, people will face what's actually the case.
Whatever characters we do get, should be interesting.

& still gonna pour love for Shantae :D

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It also helps that Pandy's motive for this is much more respectable. I will not lie, Skull Kid being disconfirmed will start another fire, so any semblance of warning before hand is needed if this is the case. Pandy is taking it upon themself to do this, even if it has some risks. Meanwhile Verg does what they do for attention and has made it clear in the past that they have no respect for the Smash fan base.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Verg is just trolling us at this point considering he knows that he has much of the Smash community wrapped around his finger.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It occurs to me that some of Skull Kid's assist effects might clash with Spear Pillar Palkia's effects (is he still a Pokeball Pokemon?). He did the stage-flipping and control-reversing before Skull Kid did.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Plus, I'm maining Pichu whether he is F or S tier. Fun lil fact, I was bullied a lot, and I relate a lot to Pichu, since he's classes as a joke, and so was I at the time. I love him to death. Pichu's my boy. Or girl. I'm sticking thick and through.
Your strong attachment with Pichu kinda reminds me of me with Daisy :
One of my first game as a young boy was Mario Party 4 in which I "met" and immediately "fell in love " with Daisy and kept picking her in every game since then.
The thing is, I always had "girly" tastes when it came to pick characters in any game and I knew picking Daisy would ( and it did) make my multiple male friends/cousins ect raise an eyebrow or even comment on how strange it is for a boy to pick a girl ( who happened to be a princess on top of that ).
Later, I soon understood that I was gay and had to hide it.
As a young teenager, Although I was really afraid for anyone to find out, ask questions or even assume anything about that, I would still bravely pick her growing up, because I WANTED to pick her and be my true self, not the one the society wanted me to be. I often was tempted to pick some male character for more safety, but I never-ever did despite the many occasions.
It was an unconscious way to "accept and show myself" the way I was in front of all my straight surroundings, thanks to Daisy.
She really did help me accept myself A LOT, and to this day it's still a work in process (although almost done).
That's why I can understand one's special attachment to a video game character.

( Sorry about that irrelevant to the topic and overly personal post, at least it keeps us busy until that Shantae announcement we all crave for haha )

zferolie

Smash Hero
One of my first game as a young boy was Mario Party 4 in which I "met" and immediately "fell in love " with Daisy and kept picking her in every game since then.
The thing is, I always had "girly" tastes when it came to pick characters in any game and I knew picking Daisy would ( and it did) make my multiple male friends/cousins ect raise an eyebrow or even comment on how strange it is for a boy to pick a girl ( who happened to be a princess on top of that ).
As a young teenager, Although I was really afraid for anyone to find out, ask questions or even assume anything about that, I would still bravely pick her growing up, because I WANTED to pick her and be my true self, not the one the society wanted me to be. I often was tempted to pick some male character for more safety, but I never-ever did despite the many occasions.
It was an unconscious way to "accept and show myself" the way I was in front of all my straight surroundings, thanks to Daisy.
She really did help me accept myself A LOT, and to this day it's still a work in process (although almost done).

( Sorry about that irrelevant to the topic and overly personal post, at least it keeps us busy until that Shantae announcement we all crave for haha )
Well that is pretty deep. I myself has always gravitated towards Daisy in any game she is in. Tomboy, spunky, just has so much more personality.

Though i guess tying into your thing is I pretty much only play as females if I have a choice in games. Always gravitate towards them. I find them more likeable, more cool, more... maybe relatable... something I have been thinking about for yeahs but thats another thing. My buds always tease me for only playing as girls, but I don't let it bother me, and you shouldn't let it bother you either

Anyway, as for leakypanda, what they are doing is pretty convincing. They know if they are wrong they will get ****, but they also will appologize for it, unlike every other leaker out there. they got my respect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just a reminder that media-only posts are not allowed. This includes a twitter-only embed. Please add your own text and context to it. :)

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Well that is pretty deep. I myself has always gravitated towards Daisy in any game she is in. Tomboy, spunky, just has so much more personality.

Though i guess tying into your thing is I pretty much only play as females if I have a choice in games. Always gravitate towards them. I find them more likeable, more cool, more... maybe relatable... something I have been thinking about for yeahs but thats another thing. My buds always tease me for only playing as girls, but I don't let it bother me, and you shouldn't let it bother you either

Anyway, as for leakypanda, what they are doing is pretty convincing. They know if they are wrong they will get ****, but they also will appologize for it, unlike every other leaker out there. they got my respect.
Your answer reminds me of Arin/EgoRaptor from GG with the female characters thing.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman

I personally love Daisy (Though Pichu is my #1), so I hope her spunky attitude shines in SSBU. And don't let anyone diss your fave.

Bah. Let them tease. They'll soon fear the wrath of your favorite character. Daisy shines a lot more than Peach imo. Love your favorite character!

Your answer reminds me of Arin/EgoRaptor from GG with the female characters thing.
What did he say?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I typically do too. Usually it's because I find their designs more interesting. And they tend to be a bit more customizable in a lot of ways. One example is Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. For me, FemShep is the only Shep. She's cooler, she's a kick*** woman, and darn it, her voice actress does better. When I play a game where I can make my own character, I tend to make a woman. Partly cause I like looking at them better. Partly cause I like the bevy of options given to female characters. And partly cause I still think women aren't represented enough in games.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I personally love Daisy (Though Pichu is my #1), so I hope her spunky attitude shines in SSBU. And don't let anyone diss your fave.

Bah. Let them tease. They'll soon fear the wrath of your favorite character. Daisy shines a lot more than Peach imo. Love your favorite character!
I was quite happy when I saw Daisy. I loved Peach back in Melee and Brawl, so Happy to main Daisy. And if she is hip bouncing Shantae thats even better for me :D

yeah I'm curious on that. what did he say?

EDIT:
I typically do too. Usually it's because I find their designs more interesting. And they tend to be a bit more customizable in a lot of ways. One example is Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. For me, FemShep is the only Shep. She's cooler, she's a kick*** woman, and darn it, her voice actress does better. When I play a game where I can make my own character, I tend to make a woman. Partly cause I like looking at them better. Partly cause I like the bevy of options given to female characters. And partly cause I still think women aren't represented enough in games.
Thats exactly my thoughts. Male characters all seem to be quite the same to me in a lot of cases, but Females always seem so different. Also, a Lady kicking ass just seems much more interesting then a male kicking ass, as thats almost expected in our society. Seeing a Princess like Daisy acting all tough is awesome.

People just say I am picking a girl because I want to look at girls, and thats not the case at all. Do you pick a male because you want to look at the male?

Basically he said the same thing as you but also that he wants female characters to have better roles in the games they come from. It's why he loves playing as them. He loves supporting them.
Ah gotcha. While I argue about how he skips tutorials is bad, I dio respect a lot of what he has about game design, and thats a good thought to have. Women in games still get soved into certain seterotypes. Not as much/bad as Anita says, but the stigma is still there. The more awesome ladies we get the more that goes away

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

It's nice to hear these sorts of stories. I myself have an attachment when it comes to a video game character, and it's also a Mario character. When I was in elementary school I needed help learning how to read(Among many other things), and the extra class I had rewarded those who got there work done early with being able to play on the new Wii the teacher had brought in. I can recall that I would constantly play Mario Party 8, and whenever I did, I would always pick Dry Bones. I just liked the design and found the sounds it made cool. When my family eventually got the Wii, I would still always party as and race as Dry Bones. Heck, I recall myself being heartbroken when I got Mario Party 9 and realized that Dry Bones was not playable, among all the other disappointments that game brought. Same goes for Wii U Mario Kart 8. So needless to say, I was delighted to see that Dry Bones would return in Super Mario Party. I won't even care if I dislike his dice, I will still main him(If you can main a Mario Party character, that is).

Anyway, Shantae. I always forget that Shantae had the honer of being on the cover of the penultimate Nintendo Power. I think it really shows the relationship between the series and Nintendo.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace

Oh it doesn't bother me anymore haha

My main reason to usually tend to play female characters is because they often end up being the only good-looking characters in their series ! ( And NO Waluigi is not handsome lmao )
They are almost always designed beautifully, and I have a thing for beautiful things haha.
In Fire Emblem for exemple, my favorite characters are surprisingly male for the most part because they look equally as good as the gals in these games !

The reason I was drawn in Shantae in the first place was because of her super cool design, then I found out about the amazing universe, music, games ect ect ect she has going for her.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It still bothers me when people say that Shantae can't make it in because Shovel Knight is an assist. These people keep on forgetting about Shantae's long history with Nintendo. It's pretty impressive that an indie character appeared on the cover of Nintendo Power. This is what gives Shantae a leg up over other indies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think I have the perfect way to implement Shantae's dancing, taking inspiration from Shulk's buff.

Holding Down-B Begins Dancing
Keep Stick Down when letting go of B to become next form in sequence
Hold stick Left when letting go of B to become Monkey
Hold stick right when letting go of B to become Elephant
Hold Stick Up when letting go of B to become a third one (Harpy, Spider, Bat...)
Return stick to neutral or shield to cancel.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
It still bothers me when people say that Shantae can't make it in because Shovel Knight is an assist. These people keep on forgetting about Shantae's long history with Nintendo. It's pretty impressive that an indie character appeared on the cover of Nintendo Power. This is what gives Shantae a leg up over other indies.
1990: WayForward began.
1994: Shantae essentially conceptualized by Matt Bozon (and his wife).
1997: Development of first Shantae game didn't make it through on the PlayStation.
2002: Shantae's first game released on the Gameboy Color (WayForward -> Capcom/Nintendo).
2010: Shantae is revived by WayForward (Shantae: Risky's Revenge).
Late 2013: Kickstarter for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero began.
2014: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse released.
2015: Smash Ballot / WayForward being extremely vocal about supporting Shantae
End of 2015: Begin WayForward's radio silence regarding Shantae w/ Smash.
2016: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero released.

If you ask me, 2014-2016 was a VERY good time for Shantae considering she had a game on the horizon (and that the ballot was happening mid-2015, where her popularity skyrocketed, for lack of a better term).

She has a very rich history with Nintendo, and a pretty good origin story to boot. She took "slings and arrows" in early development w/ Playstation. WF persevered with their character in 2002 in their first game w/ Nintendo. She essentially paved the way for indies to make their way on major consoles with this history. WF has been through a lot just to get their character/story into the limelight, and they persevered in the end. They also earned a great and trusted relationship with Nintendo due to working with them for a very long time (I feel like this is EXTREMELY important for how Japan does business, and it only translates positively for an endeavor such as Smash Brothers).

Even though other characters like Quote have quite an expansive history (1998 conception, independent 2004 release of Cave Story on PC), it's not NEARLY as long as Shantae's (especially compared to her time frame of being associated with major companies like Nintendo).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh it doesn't bother me anymore haha

My main reason to usually tend to play female characters is because they often end up being the only good-looking characters in their series ! ( And NO Waluigi is not handsome lmao )
They are almost always designed beautifully, and I have a thing for beautiful things haha.
In Fire Emblem for exemple, my favorite characters are surprisingly male for the most part because they look equally as good as the gals in these games !

The reason I was drawn in Shantae in the first place was because of her super cool design, then I found out about the amazing universe, music, games ect ect ect she has going for her.
I can understand. We all have our unique likes and attractions, in different ways, and sometimes it's because of a deeper reason inside of us. I don't see a lot of people talk on a personal level on forums, and it's refreshing to read what you said, because I like hearing personal things about people. Not everyone feels this way, so I can get why it doesn't happen, especially when people want to stay on topic. But what's important in life? I'm at a stage where I want to love people. And when I see something I like in someone, that makes it easier, lol. I like pretty things too, so I gravitate towards that stuff, and daisy doesn't just have that but she also has spunk and that's fun. Some people enjoy playing with certain characters because they connect with something they have. I liked game & watch at some points because it reminded me of silly stuff and I like playing with people with a silly character too. I've changed a lot and some things are more important than others for me right now, but I know I'll always want fun, and then there's other stuff that's important to me, so it does reflect in the characters I'm interested in, but at the same time I know i'll keep changing and want to balance sometimes too, so I'm keeping open, I don't want to limit myeslf and put everything into one thing. Umm, anyway, I still love speculation because it lets me hope for characters I feel I'll get a lot out of. I mean, being a fan helps with some of that..

Am I just rambling at this point? eh, well everyone just posts their thoughts anyway,.. :p

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I think I have the perfect way to implement Shantae's dancing, taking inspiration from Shulk's buff.

Holding Down-B Begins Dancing
Keep Stick Down when letting go of B to become next form in sequence
Hold stick Left when letting go of B to become Monkey
Hold stick right when letting go of B to become Elephant
Hold Stick Up when letting go of B to become a third one (Harpy, Spider, Bat...)
Return stick to neutral or shield to cancel.
This is pretty much what I was thinking originally, BUT...we have to consider the Kirby transformation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This is pretty much what I was thinking originally, BUT...we have to consider the Kirby transformation.
Hence why it's the DOWN B.

Her B can be a nice Kirby friendly Fireball or Pikeball.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
People have interesting reasons for playing female characters and mine is just "Girl prefers playing as girls" :D

Also I think people have started to think Shovel Knight is the be all and end all, 'cause he's popular and an indie darling, so if the most popular indie doesn't get in, no other indies should, even though some of them have history. It's silly.
Anyway, I still figure Shantae's one of the best choices for an indie rep. She's super admirable with her staying power, and WayForward has been great in supporting her whenever they can!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man even more evidence that puts Shantae's chances of being in Smash higher and higher with each day or week that passes.

Also while I will main :ultfox: and :ultlink: in Ultimate my third main will be Shantae when she gets in.

Also to PichuMain PichuMain : If someone can main and win tournaments with :ultjigglypuff: then you can do the same with :ultpichu:. You will have my full support so that you know at least myself and the #ShantaeForSmash crew will cheer you on as you jaw drop everyone using :ultpichu:.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I can understand. We all have our unique likes and attractions, in different ways, and sometimes it's because of a deeper reason inside of us. I don't see a lot of people talk on a personal level on forums, and it's refreshing to read what you said, because I like hearing personal things about people. Not everyone feels this way, so I can get why it doesn't happen, especially when people want to stay on topic. But what's important in life? I'm at a stage where I want to love people. And when I see something I like in someone, that makes it easier, lol. I like pretty things too, so I gravitate towards that stuff, and daisy doesn't just have that but she also has spunk and that's fun. Some people enjoy playing with certain characters because they connect with something they have. I liked game & watch at some points because it reminded me of silly stuff and I like playing with people with a silly character too. I've changed a lot and some things are more important than others for me right now, but I know I'll always want fun, and then there's other stuff that's important to me, so it does reflect in the characters I'm interested in, but at the same time I know i'll keep changing and want to balance sometimes too, so I'm keeping open, I don't want to limit myeslf and put everything into one thing. Umm, anyway, I still love speculation because it lets me hope for characters I feel I'll get a lot out of. I mean, being a fan helps with some of that..

Am I just rambling at this point? eh, well everyone just posts their thoughts anyway,.. :p
I am a guy, so i understand it kinda sucks when I wanna play as females when playing games with friends. Not gonna lie, Daisy is so much better imo than Waluigi, so happy to see her finally get more than just an alt color. I have lots of characters I like that people might judge me over, like Koopa Troopa or Zangoose. Heck Tikal and Mighty are my favorite Sonic characters.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man even more evidence that puts Shantae's chances of being in Smash higher and higher with each day or week that passes.

Also while I will main :ultfox: and :ultlink: in Ultimate my third main will be Shantae when she gets in.

Also to PichuMain PichuMain : If someone can main and win tournaments with :ultjigglypuff: then you can do the same with :ultpichu:. You will have my full support so that you know at least myself and the #ShantaeForSmash crew will cheer you on as you jaw drop everyone using :ultpichu:.
I love playing Jigglypuff for fun. She's such a fun character. Back in melee and Brawl I used to use the Princess crown alt and call her Princess Jigglys.

I am a guy, so i understand it kinda sucks when I wanna play as females when playing games with friends. Not gonna lie, Daisy is so much better imo than Waluigi, so happy to see her finally get more than just an alt color. I have lots of characters I like that people might judge me over, like Koopa Troopa or Zangoose. Heck Tikal and Mighty are my favorite Sonic characters.
While I love sonic, my favorite Sonic CHaracter is Blaze. I wish they used her more. She was so interesting.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
1990: WayForward began.
1994: Shantae essentially conceptualized by Matt Bozon (and his wife).
1997: Development of first Shantae game didn't make it through on the PlayStation.
2002: Shantae's first game released on the Gameboy Color (WayForward -> Capcom/Nintendo).
2010: Shantae is revived by WayForward (Shantae: Risky's Revenge).
Late 2013: Kickstarter for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero began.
2014: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse released.
2015: Smash Ballot / WayForward being extremely vocal about supporting Shantae
End of 2015: Begin WayForward's radio silence regarding Shantae w/ Smash.
2016: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero released.

If you ask me, 2014-2016 was a VERY good time for Shantae considering she had a game on the horizon (and that the ballot was happening mid-2015, where her popularity skyrocketed, for lack of a better term).

She has a very rich history with Nintendo, and a pretty good origin story to boot. She took "slings and arrows" in early development w/ Playstation. WF persevered with their character in 2002 in their first game w/ Nintendo. She essentially paved the way for indies to make their way on major consoles with this history. WF has been through a lot just to get their character/story into the limelight, and they persevered in the end. They also earned a great and trusted relationship with Nintendo due to working with them for a very long time (I feel like this is EXTREMELY important for how Japan does business, and it only translates positively for an endeavor such as Smash Brothers).

Even though other characters like Quote have quite an expansive history (1998 conception, independent 2004 release of Cave Story on PC), it's not NEARLY as long as Shantae's (especially compared to her time frame of being associated with major companies like Nintendo).
This is why I think Shantae has a much better chance at being playable than any other indie character and even some third party characters. She has a long history with Nintendo and frankly helped to popularize indie games. If there is an indie character that deserves a spot in Smash, it's Shantae.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
And speaking of "things that increase Shantae's chances", look who just got announced for Brawlhalla:
https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1036414393872015360

Another obstacle out of Shantae's way.

EDIT: zferolie zferolie Yeah I am always impressed by players who can take the "joke characters" and turn them into serious "out of nowhere" threats in the Smash tournaments.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
And speaking of "things that increase Shantae's chances", look who just got announced for Brawlhalla:

RAYMAN is in brawlhala and Shantae isn't..... well ain't that something.

If rayman gets into that then i cannot see any reason why she isn't in that as well other then Nintendo has a deal that she can only be in smash.

That does hurt raymans chances for smash though

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

While we can't rule Rayman out completely, I do agree that it bodes well for Shantae's chances. WF isn't allowing Shantae to be in indie fighting games. While you could say that they're simply being picky about what games she appears in, the fact that she's specifically not in other fighting games does imply that there could be some sort of contract with Nintendo that she can't appear in other fighting games besides Smash. If Rayman is in this game, we could therefore assume that Ubisoft would have had a similar contract with Nintendo if Rayman was in Smash.

We could of course be reading too much into it, but I think this does add to the circumstantial and theoretical evidence that's growing in Shantae's favor.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
RAYMAN is in brawlhala and Shantae isn't..... well ain't that something.

If rayman gets into that then i cannot see any reason why she isn't in that as well other then Nintendo has a deal that she can only be in smash.

That does hurt raymans chances for smash though
Well Shovel Knight was in all these other Indie Smash like fighting games and he is an AT in Ultimate so Rayman can be in Smash but as an AT.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice

i don't really see how that's really a de-confirmation of Rayman, as Brawlhalla devs are actually now a part of Ubisoft. meaning it's still technically an in-house game. i don't think Rayman crossing over into a game that's owned by the company he's owned by wouldn't really apply to an NDA situation we speculate WayForward is a part of.

though it is still an interesting development.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well Shovel Knight was in all these other Indie Smash like fighting games and he is an AT in Ultimate so Rayman can be in Smash but as an AT.
That is true. That does mean if Ubisoft ever gets a playable rep... that leaves the rabbids... *shudders*

But the rayman thread mentioned Brawlhala is produced by ubisoft, so this may not hurt his chances here after all

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
i don't really see how that's really a de-confirmation of Rayman, as Brawlhalla devs are actually now a part of Ubisoft. meaning it's still technically an in-house game. i don't think Rayman crossing over into a game that's owned by the company he's owned by wouldn't really apply to an NDA situation we speculate WayForward is a part of.

though it is still an interesting development.
Non-competition clauses are a thing. Brawlhalla is in competition with Smash no matter how you look at it. Nintendo likely would have secured some form of exclusivity for the character in platform fighters. It could be why Raiden was in PSABR over Snake.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
As for what I think on the whole "Rayman being deconfirmed because of Brawlhalla", I really don't think so, especially with this being Ubisoft published/developed.

Sure, it might potentially reduce his chances if this is all Rayman is going to get, but he's not deconfirmed.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I did not know that their developers were owned by Ubisoft, but for all we know Nintendo could still have some kind of exclusivity contract for characters who appear in Smash when it comes to certain fighting games. As I mentioned before we can't completely deconfirm Rayman, but it does hurt his chances in Smash.

Today has been way more eventful than it should have been and there wasn't even a Direct.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman

People have interesting reasons for playing female characters and mine is just "Girl prefers playing as girls" :D

Also I think people have started to think Shovel Knight is the be all and end all, 'cause he's popular and an indie darling, so if the most popular indie doesn't get in, no other indies should, even though some of them have history. It's silly.
Anyway, I still figure Shantae's one of the best choices for an indie rep. She's super admirable with her staying power, and WayForward has been great in supporting her whenever they can!
I like this little bond that we all had. Its great to share things like this. I really like you guys. :)

Yaaay. Thanks you guys. Brings me a lot of joy. I do plan on going competitive when this gane comes out, so they all.know me by PM (Or PichuMain)

EDIT: zferolie zferolie Yeah I am always impressed by players who can take the "joke characters" and turn them into serious "out of nowhere" threats in the Smash tournaments.
Whats Brawlhala? I'm new to this.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I did not know that their developers were owned by Ubisoft, but for all we know Nintendo could still have some kind of exclusivity contract for characters who appear in Smash when it comes to certain fighting games. As I mentioned before we can't completely deconfirm Rayman, but it does hurt his chances in Smash.

Today has been way more eventful than it should have been and there wasn't even a Direct.
Exactly. You can't have fighters be in similar type of fighting games. You either be in one or the other(hence why SK is an AT instead of a fighter).

EDIT: PichuMain PichuMain : Brawlhalla is basically a Smash Bros. Clone game.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Remember, Megaman was in the Vs games, and Ryu is Street fighter :p

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Remember, Megaman was in the Vs games, and Ryu is Street fighter :p
True, but Mega Man and Ryu are huge third party characters who have appeared in multiple games spanning multiple consoles, so Nintendo probably didn't have that kind of contract for them or couldn't get it with them. If we are assuming that such a contract exists, then it would logically only apply to smaller third parties and indies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
True, but Mega Man and Ryu are huge third party characters who have appeared in multiple games spanning multiple consoles, so Nintendo probably didn't have that kind of contract for them or couldn't get it with them. If we are assuming that such a contract exists, then it would logically only apply to smaller third parties and indies.
Yeah, I can see that for WF and Shantae for sure, but not Ubisoft. Sure it could mean Ubisoft is not pushing for Rayman in smash as hard, as putting him in smash and brawlhala could split your sales, but we need to wait and see

Top Bottom