• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
What's funny is that I was coming around to the idea of Rayman being in the game because it actually looked like things were going pretty well in his favor. However, I do think GoldLiger's point is a strong one. The timing couldn't be worse and this certainly seems like a bonafide strike against Rayman.

I think her chances may be slept on.

I'm personally on the train that thinks the Gardevoir "leak" has some viability to it, or at the very least the logic behind it. Think about it; would Sakurai really take all of the Pokemon votes on the Smash Ballot and throw them out entirely just to follow the quota of "new gen rep"? It would basically mean that if you voted for an older generation Pokemon that your vote was meaningless and was going to be thrown out no matter what. That honestly doesn't sit right with me.

Though hey, status quo and all.

---

Personally, I'm thinking these guys are the front-runners at the moment:

Unique

- Isaac
- Bandana Dee
- A Pokemon (possibly older or a new gen)
- Geno
- Shantae

Echoes

- Dixie Kong
- Isabelle (could also be unique)
- Impa
- Shadow
- Ken *

* I doubt he did well on the ballot but it's still possible as an easy gimme.

---

I think that Banjo & Kazooie, while a perfect fit for the game, are going to be a difficult legal situation and possibly saved for DLC. I've also excluded any newer picks or old school methodology because I'm honoring the idea that the ballot is taking priority (which is also, frankly, her only shot of getting in).

I know "muh relevancy" doesn't matter as much as people make it out to be but I do think it's a good thing that Shantae's only real competitors on that front are Bandana Dee and a Pokemon. It's also a point in her favor that Nintendo are taking strides to promote indie titles more fervently. Shantae could easily be a gateway for the indie section and a completely sound business strategy. And it helps that WayForward would be ridiculously easy to work with.

Literally the only real thing in her way are shallow hang-ups on her indie status, which are pretty meaningless wholesale. "She's an indie character. An indie has never been in before." And?

Precedent gets broken routinely in Smash. There'd be no legal fiasco, they probably wouldn't even have to pay to use her, she ticks every single box according to Sakurai's design philosophy (brings something new to the table, unique silhouette, expressive), she's relevant and contributes to a business strategy, and she's a popular ballot pick...

She has a chance.
Yeah that is one of banjos biggest hurtles, the legal side. I have a feeling he may try, but still remains to be seen.

I still think we will get 1 retro or someo e sakurai wants. He may look at the ballot for most, but its still his game and i am sure there is a retro he wants in.

I keep forgetting about inpa as an echo... but i feel like others have a higher chance. Medusa due to villain for example. I would like both in though and its possible for sure. As for ken, think thats likely but would like akuma more, and akuma 8s the street fighter crossover king.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Why are we accepting Leaky’s info deconfirming Skull Kid as fact all of a sudden? I‘m pretty sure the only thing he got right was Waluigi being an AT again, which I feel anyone could have predicted. I’m not saying I don’t want him to be right (I do, since I don’t want Skull Kid, since he isn’t a recurring character and doesn’t bring anything outstandingly new to the table, but that’s just my opinion), but Leaky seems too out of the blue to be trustworthy.
Show my why I should trust people like Verg or Loz18 when they've both proven to be shady and refuse to admit when they've been wrong.

The thing as, while I would like Skull Kid, I do think he's gotten a big bandwagon effect because his assist trophy hasn't shown up yet, which is why he's been appearing in so many fake leaks recently. Nobody is saying that this 100% deconfirms him, but it does weaken his chances.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
M. Bison would make for a pretty good boss character if Capcom wants more boss characters. Then again, I would also like for Giga Bowser to come back as a boss, too.
Though I want to have some loose connection to the topic at hand, should Shantae become a fighter, I have my doubts if they'll include Risky Boots.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As for ken, think thats likely but would like akuma more, and akuma 8s the street fighter crossover king.
Honestly there is 3 echo's you can choose from when it comes to Ryu. Ken is the original echo, Akuma is a villain echo(He also appeared in Tekken), and then there is Sakura(She did join Ryu in Monster Hunter).

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Not so much fact, but you guys seem to be putting a lot of faith in his leaks, which could very well be wrong, over someone like Loz18, who got barely anything wrong.
To be honest, I'd like Skull Kid in the game but I had my doubts about his chances even prior to LeakyPandy (sp?) since he never scored highly on online polling during the smash ballot era. Certainly a character that has a chance and I wouldn't mind seeing (on the Agnes "leak", he was the only one I personally cared about) but still a character I feel is a lot more sketchy.

We have zero context on loz18's source. He never even outright confirmed Skull Kid, only mentioned that it's highly implied to be him. Frankly, I think Impa is more likely. I take all "leakers" with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
The thing with Waluigi is that he isn't unique. He doesn't have anything that is unique to him as a character unlike his pseudo brother Wario. Not saying that he can't have a moveset created just for him but Sakurai would like to use stuff he can easily research in a characters history.
Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me, dawg. Waluigi's got plenty of unique potential, and there are plenty of characters already in Smash that've had movesets created from nearly no source material whatsoever. Did Sakurai state that that was a preference of his? (regardless, it's not like his word is the most consistent thing on earth...)

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
A cute little edit I did for the twitter part of the info graphic I thought I'd share (also how we are every week snooping their feed):

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly there is 3 echo's you can choose from when it comes to Ryu. Ken is the original echo, Akuma is a villain echo(He also appeared in Tekken), and then there is Sakura(She did join Ryu in Monster Hunter).
I forgot about Sakura, and while i would like her i think the other 2 are more likely.

To be honest, I'd like Skull Kid in the game but I had my doubts about his chances even prior to LeakyPandy (sp?) since he never scored highly on online polling during the smash ballot era. Certainly a character that has a chance and I wouldn't mind seeing (on the Agnes "leak", he was the only one I personally cared about) but still a character I feel is a lot more sketchy.

We have zero context on loz18's source. He never even outright confirmed Skull Kid, only mentioned that it's highly implied to be him. Frankly, I think Impa is more likely. I take all "leakers" with a grain of salt.
I also always thought he wasnt as likely as others said. He was in 1 game. Impa makes more sense then him as she has been in almost every zelda game

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I forgot about Sakura, and while i would like her i think the other 2 are more likely.
Yeah, the other two are the more likely choices, but I feel it's worth noting. I do think that Sakura is gonna become very note worthy in the future of Street Fighter, even more so than now, if Capcom keeps going down the path they seem to be laying out for her.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Not so much fact, but you guys seem to be putting a lot of faith in his leaks, which could very well be wrong, over someone like Loz18, who got barely anything wrong.
Ever since the August Direct, Loz has been acting incredibly strangely to the detriment of his credibility, in my opinion. As for LeakyPandy, I don't so much believe them as much as their statement is in direct contrast to how they have leaked before which is always a bit more indirect by saying things may or can happen rather than will happen.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Guys. Please don't use those chairs as evidence for Shantae. They're just chairs.

Everything else is fine. Especially the possible NDA and being on the cover of Nintendo Power. But please... anything but the chairs.
I think there is a half truth here, we shouldn't focus on just the chairs, but rather the set as a whole. if we're going to bring the set up as a hint, maybe consider more than just one piece of it. we know the first set was referencing K. Rool in more than just one section, so it would only make sence if the same applies here. so... what else can be referenced from the set?

Attachments

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think there is a half truth here, we shouldn't focus on just the chairs, but rather the set as a whole. if we're going to bring the set up as a hint, maybe consider more than just one piece of it. we know the first set was referencing K. Rool in more than just one section, so it would only make sence if the same applies here. so... what else can be referenced from the set?
well, what type of plant is that in the back? It's diffrent from what E3 had as a plant, and that plant gave off major jungle vibes. So perhaps the plant references an environment.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, the other two are the more likely choices, but I feel it's worth noting. I do think that Sakura is gonna become very note worthy in the future of Street Fighter, even more so than now, if Capcom keeps going down the path they seem to be laying out for her.
I dont follow as much as i used to. Did they do something in street fighter 5 with her? I mean i did main her in sf4 and loved all her comics and manga.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Any idea what that object on the shelf over his right shoulder is?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I dont follow as much as i used to. Did they do something in street fighter 5 with her? I mean i did main her in sf4 and loved all her comics and manga.
She's out of highschool, works a job, is questioning her future as both a street fighter and a person, and through a match with Ryu, realized what she wanted. And what she wanted was... honestly it's best seen rather than explained.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I thought for sure I was on the supporters list from before, but it looks like I'm not??? :confused:
Please add me to the list, I'm always down for more cute characters in Smash! And congrats on almost reaching 100 pages guys- keep up the support! :b::bee:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That is a snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata). It's native to tropical West Africa
Hmm... I mean, it may not be in the Middle East(And farther than I would hope), but it certainly matches up with the sort of environment Shantae would be more associated with rather than Skull Kid or Rayman.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
well, what type of plant is that in the back? It's diffrent from what E3 had as a plant, and that plant gave off major jungle vibes. So perhaps the plant references an environment.
I believe that is a Mother-In-Law's Tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata)

Here is the wiki for it.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Any idea what that object on the shelf over his right shoulder is?
I think that is a gravy boat. The handle is probably pointed either towards or away from the camera. Many gravy boats seemingly resemble a genie lamp.

Edit: size and shape may vary.

Edit 2: I think the handle is actually pointed towards the camera.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I thought for sure I was on the supporters list from before, but it looks like I'm not??? :confused:
Please add me to the list, I'm always down for more cute characters in Smash! And congrats on almost reaching 100 pages guys- keep up the support! :b::bee:
Welcome aboard. =D

I knew that pink font on your username would look great with your post color and avi.~

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Of course, the cushions may be Arabian designed, though they could also be actual Indian or Native American inspired. That plant could sort of look like something from the Ephedra Genus. However, I am not a qualified botanist, so I'm very likely completely wrong.

Edit: Yep, I'm a certified dumb-dumb.

Last edited:

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
That is a snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata). It's native to tropical West Africa
I was going to say this. Also, just a note, but some kind of similar plant (probably more along the lines of a succulent or cactus) appears in Scuttle Town in HGH. If a snake plant, it would be one of the more squat varieties. And again, anything like this is a ridiculously massive reach for a Shantae connection. It's fun to compare though.
scuttletownplant.PNG

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
What do you guys think the Shantae section in the trophy gallery will be like? I guess something like this:

- Shantae
- Shantae (Alt.)
- Shantae (Final Smash)
- Risky Boots
- Rottytops
- Bolo
- Sky
- Mimic
- Mayor Scuttlebutt
- Holly
- Tinkerbat
- Abner & Poe
- Twitch & Vinegar
- Squid Baron
- Techno Baron
- Ammo Baron
- Hypno Baron
- Nega-Shantae
- Pirate Master

I think that's everyone important. Did I miss someone?

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Welcome aboard. =D

I knew that pink font on your username would look great with your post color and avi.~
=O !
You noticed that too!? I thought my eyes were just playing tricks on me! Honestly I didn't change it myself, do you know what it means? (Im not in trouble am i? like on parole?)
oh and thanx for the compliments Embarrass

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
=O !
You noticed that too!? I thought my eyes were just playing tricks on me! Honestly I didn't change it myself, do you know what it means? (Im not in trouble am i? like on parole?)
oh and thanx for the compliments Embarrass
Premium users (like me) are allowed to "prank" other users and give them a pink username.

I did it. ;)

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
but yeah, the gravy boat does look like an Arabian oil lamp, which are popularly associated with genies, the most famous of which comes from Aladdin and I Dream a Jeanie, but in the original tales, they could also be sealed in other objects, like rings.

The color purple represents nobility, or a higher state of beings. Genies are well-known throughout all media forms that Genies are considered to be higher than humans in the divine food chain, but at the same time, are known for being lesser than the Angels. It's also famous for being home to the Sahasrara chakra, the highest state a mortal can attain and the closest to Divinity they can be.
Yellow represents, first and foremost, the Manipura chakra, in which Shantae fits in quite snuggily (her primary magic outside of her transformation dance involves fire, both of which fits in well with the Manipura). In addition, practicing under this chakra can give the meditator the power to save the world. Finally, it's located at her naval, which could represent how she goes into the fray with guttural instinct, not necessarily thinking out her plan before attempting to follow through with it. It's also a "happy medium" between the Muladhara (or root) chakra and the Sahasrara (or crown) chakra.

Good God, I'm sounding like MasakoX with how I'm just talking about Chakra.

D

Deleted member

We have gone from being Twitter Detectives, to Interior designers, botanists, and now Genie lore masters,

I love you guys

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
We have gone from being Twitter Detectives, to Interior designers, botanists, and now Genie lore masters,

I love you guys
It's just our natural state of being for wanting our half-genie waifu in the game ;)

Though in all seriousness, the ring thing is actually real, it comes from the Aladdin story of 1001 Arabian Nights, along with the more famous Genie of the Lamp.
The Chakra thing, however, was me just making out with a Wikipedia page and putting it in terms I could understand. I am not a certified Chakra guy XD

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Noooooo.

I think it's just the set up they have. I don't know, man. I'm all for fun speculation but when we start analyzing furniture colors... then I think some lines are being crossed. Purple and yellow could literally be anyone and anything. Same with the couch colors.

I mean, don't you guys find it a little silly to believe that they went out and bought specific colors of furniture just to hint at a new character?

The DK stuff in the back makes a tad bit of since. But this? Idk. I'm not seeing the same thing you guys are. Especially if it's Shantae because her two primary colors are purple and red. Not purple and yellow.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Noooooo.

I think it's just the set up they have. I don't know, man. I'm all for fun speculation but when we start analyzing furniture colors... then I think some lines are being crossed. Purple and yellow could literally be anyone and anything. Same with the couch colors.

I mean, don't you guys find it a little silly to believe that they went out and bought specific colors of furniture just to hint at a new character?

The DK stuff in the back makes a tad bit of since. But this? Idk. I'm not seeing the same thing you guys are. Especially if it's Shantae because her two primary colors are purple and red. Not purple and yellow.
But we aren't just analyzing the chairs. We are looking at the room as a whole. Heck, the quote above stressed this.

Top Bottom