• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Given how Shantae's main ability is transforming, it's always bothered me that she doesn't have a trademark "Super" form or power-up that outclasses all the rest.
Gameplay wise, transformations were largely intended for reaching areas otherwise out of the question.

The final boss fight against her in one of Half Genie Hero's DLC or her doppelganger in Risky's Revenge have pointed towards the Elephant or Mermaid, respectively. Pirate Queen's Quest in particular shown the Elephant to be potentially Giga Bowser/Ganon scale in size.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ok. So what does that mean? Normal business strategy to increase profits? Or are they also trying to get the Japanese audience more comfortable with the company because the genie girl is gonna end up in smash?
Can't it be both?

Well, if I may offer a topic of discussion.

Given how Shantae's main ability is transforming, it's always bothered me that she doesn't have a trademark "Super" form or power-up that outclasses all the rest. Most characters that rely on a wide variety of powers usually have something like that. You know, that one ability that they save for a special moment, and when the bust it out the audience can really tell "**** just got real". Sonic has Super Sonic. Original Megaman didn't really have one, unless you count the combination with Rush, but X definitely did. Kirby has Hypernova Kirby and the Ultra Sword. And so on. The only thing she really has is her Dancer outfit, and I'm not really sure you can call that a power up, it seems rather uh... flimsy.

If Shantae were to gain a super form of her own, what would you like to see in it? A new animal or creature? A recolor of her humanoid form with new powers? What abilities would she have?

Personally, at least as far as looks go, I'd love to see something like the Avatar state from AtlA/LoK, glowing eyes, change in hair color, even though it's become kind of cliche at this point. Or something like Ajna's Heruka transformations from Indivisible, but maybe with not quite such a drastic change. If it had to be a magical creature, maybe a dragon, or a gryphon?
The original Shantae had the Tinkerbat transformation that could accomplish almost everything the other forms could, minus the hidden upgrades. Getting her magic back in Pirate's Curse gave her a bit of an aura for the remainder of the battle.

I’m personally partial to her taking on a more “Super Robot” kind of final form. Nothing more “super” than that. :4pacman:
In all seriousness, I can see her tapping into the full extent of her hereditary Genie powers and abilities to (:ultrobin:/:ultrobinf: voice) “tip the scales” in her favor. Speaking of super forms, I think I found a picture related to this topic.

(Artist is OmegaSunBurst)
Great Scott, I wish that there were Kamen Rider Kuuga!Shantae pictures out there. You know, just so we can have her say “Chou-Henshin!” at least once.
This isn't likely to happen. It's a running theme in the series that the best qualities of Shantae come from her human side, as hard as it can be for Shantae for believe at times. In her own words during Half-Genie Hero, over-reliance on her genie side has bitten her in the butt, and both that game and Risky's Revenge show that it can be as much of a hindrance as it helps.

Her greatest feats come about because of her personality, friendships and a bit of ingenuity.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
With all the events being delayed by the coronavirus onslaught, I can only look at Vitamin Connection's supremely ironic release timing.

The game also reeks of it being another attempt by Wayforward to breach the Japanese market.
More than that, it exudes a distinct style that only a mind like James Montagna can bring to life. It's not pandering, it's just the style James likes to embody. The man speaks fluent Japanese and even his wife is Japanese, so it would be odd for him to not have some of that influence in his work, don't you think?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
More than that, it exudes a distinct style that only a mind like James Montagna can bring to life. It's not pandering, it's just the style James likes to embody. The man speaks fluent Japanese and even his wife is Japanese, so it would be odd for him to not have some of that influence in his work, don't you think?
It's one thing to just look Japanese or anime-inspired, it's another to go as far as providing the Japanese language out of the box. I can buy that reasoning for everything prior to and including Half-Genie Hero, but James's behaviour regarding Smash and how the latest Shantae has been marketed so far make me raise an eyebrow.

Then again, it could just be a matter of the platform. Spidersaurs is more western cartoon-based on Apple Arcade.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Can't it be both?
It completely can be. The question is how likely? And where in the sequence of events?

Because all the Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, etc talk scares me on her chances, but a part of me is still strongly believing an Isabelle style new game/ new fighter dual reveal. The when is based on when we might get that indie direct and any other larger events happening that might mess it up.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Mar10 day coming in 2 days. I'm expecting that maybe nothing really important may appear.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I'm unironically glad that WF are keeping things under wraps right now. I'd rather they bust out the full game instead of constantly building up hype for it via updates.

Assuming that their next post about the game will be either a release date or just releasing it.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
But think about Shovel Knight. He's "so much more popular than Shantae" and Yacht Club puts a lot of effort to advertise him in wherever game they chuck him into. Shouldn't Wayforward put in some more advertising effort? You have to stay in the public's mind if you want the extra purchase count.
(Hypothetically. Cuz I prefer the Nintendo like silence, and they just spent a lot of money for an anime opening and to put it before a movie promotion)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But think about Shovel Knight. He's "so much more popular than Shantae" and Yacht Club puts a lot of effort to advertise him in wherever game they chuck him into. Shouldn't Wayforward put in some more advertising effort? You have to stay in the public's mind if you want the extra purchase count.
(Hypothetically. Cuz I prefer the Nintendo like silence, and they just spent a lot of money for an anime opening and to put it before a movie promotion)
Wayforward has dozens of IPs and are constantly making new ones. Yacht Club games only just added one and the next Shovel Knight entries aren't due until next year.

More to the point, they probably just don't wanna spoil anything because the demo ends on a cliffhanger, and no matter how obvious it is she'll survive, they still have to maintain the illusion and preserve the secret of how. Not to mention any potential twists.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
A while back Mario Kart Tour had its Vancouver cup and is it just me, or does this music totally give out Shantae-vibes? Like, I could see this playing in a Shantae game:

Guess it goes to show that Shantae has a really distinct musical theme as well, and Shantae music in Smash would be a dream.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So is this "Super Shantae" something that we can expect in the future? Even still if the battle against Shantae as Risky Boost shows us that Shantae is canonically a power house of a genie(you saw the Elephant Serious mode?).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So is this "Super Shantae" something that we can expect in the future? Even still if the battle against Shantae as Risky Boost shows us that Shantae is canonically a power house of a genie(you saw the Elephant Serious mode?).
Yep, Super Shantae and Risky in her final form will go at it in Seven Sirens. :ultpacman:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, this is just something we’re having fun with thinking and conversing about. It gives us something to stay on topic about.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!!! Everyone knows it's "El Hermano"!!!
You seem to forget that a full powered Kamehameha from Gohan Blanco 100 por ciento was enough to put down both El Hermano and El Grande Padre after their 100 episode duel.

Now, granted...he did have a slight rage boost after UI Shaggy's sacrifice, but still.
we should probably stop this haha

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know this is a more for fun way of picking characters, but Backstreet Game development made a follow up video about predicting characters with math. His first list had lots of perposfully bad characters, but this one has some quite good choices, only 1 I would be upset about.

If you wanna try to make a fighters pass 6 with this grid too, go ahead.

You can only pick a box once for each character, so try and see if you can make a list you like! I'll start. (bending it a bit making that last one just 2000s)

Platformer/Female/West/2000/ Returning Pub(wayforward technically is in smash already with shantae spirit)/ Returning Series(same as before): Shantae
RPG/Both/East/2010/ Returning Pub/Return Series: Rex and Pyra
RPG/Male/East/1990's/Returning Pub/Returning Series: Geno
Adventure/Male/1980/East/Returning Pub/New Series: Mike Jones
Puzzle/Both/2010/east/New Pub/New Series: Professor Hershel Layton and Katrielle Layton
Platformer/Male/1990/east/Returning Pub/New Series: Klonoa

I think that is a pretty darn good list. What about you guys? How would you build your list with this ruleset? You dont need to jump through hoops to get shantae in either, i juat did it to also get professor layton and Katrielle in as well. You could just put new rep and pub juat as well

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Because its current, Lego and Super Mario made me think, imagine Lego and Shantae shenanigans

Risky pulls off Shantae's ponytail, thinking she'll finally have an easy time with the half genie brat as Shantae freaks out, only for Sky to casually pull another out from her pocket and tosses it to Shantae.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I would HATE the Shantae series forever and ever for it.
I don't need to explain why.
Hero x villain ships are normally hated i agree. I myself like more Shantae x Rottytops.

Honestly i dont think this could ever happen unless Risky has some sort of arc or something. I mean pirates curse went a tiny bit into her past but we really dont know much about what made risky Risky. All we know is she worked for the Pirate King and stole all his gear, and literally wears his face on her bust

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
A while back Mario Kart Tour had its Vancouver cup and is it just me, or does this music totally give out Shantae-vibes? Like, I could see this playing in a Shantae game:

Guess it goes to show that Shantae has a really distinct musical theme as well, and Shantae music in Smash would be a dream.
The bassline in that song gives me MAJOR Super Monkey Ball vibes.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Hero x villain ships are normally hated i agree. I myself like more Shantae x Rottytops.

Honestly i dont think this could ever happen unless Risky has some sort of arc or something. I mean pirates curse went a tiny bit into her past but we really dont know much about what made risky Risky. All we know is she worked for the Pirate King and stole all his gear, and literally wears his face on her bust
Yes, I hate it because it's the main villain hooking up with the hero... but I also am NOT a supporter of same-gender romances in fiction.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yes, I hate it because it's the main villain hooking up with the hero... but I also am NOT a supporter of same-gender romances in fiction.
Ah... i see. For me, if it fits the characters i am all for it. I cant see shantae going with any boy atm. Bolo is just too... Bolo

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last edited:
Top Bottom