• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here is a Shantae Artwork to end Feb 29 and start Spring in March.

Artist:
Squidsmith: I'M GOING TO CLABBA DAT DER KERBEY!!!

:ultkingdedede:: Hehaha! She is just like me. Clobba dat der Kerbey smash him!

Escargoon: Sire.

:ultkingdedede:: What is the matter Cargoon?!

Escargoon: Well this squid lady isn't from Nightmare Enterprises.

:ultkingdedede:: SAY WHAT?!!! I'M WATCHING KERBEY GET DESTROY FOR FREE?!!! HEHAHA!!! THIS MUST BE MY LUCKY DAY!!!

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
What are even useful awards for speedrunners? Do they just want a badge? Or do they mind an OP move that's acquired so late it's redundant?

And what could work in a 3D Shantae game speed runners would even like as a reward? Besides a fancy end screen.
As someone who occassionally likes to speedrun certain games, the best thing you can reward a speedrunner with is speedrunner focussed stuff. Sure little rewards like a simple skin or a cute reward-screen are nice, they're not locking out other players from any serious content.

In my eyes the best way to reward a speedrun-focussed player is to give them a timer. One that's on-screen all the time.
Another good one that'd go hand in hand with that would be the game keeping track of all your times. Like a top ten fastest clears or something (across multiple save files preferably). It being segmented to help you find the areas you could improve on would be amazing.
If the game could be segmented reliably (like from required boss to required boss or something), having the option to select to start at certain parts for practice or setting times for these shorter sections, would be really quite something.
I haven't seen any game really do something like this. At least not a game that doesn't focus on speedrunning at its core.
Personally if these 'modes' or options were added, I wouldn't put the speedrun time to unlock it too high as to not lock out too many players, regardless of the stuff it unlocks being speedrunner focussed (like for completionists for example).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As someone who occassionally likes to speedrun certain games, the best thing you can reward a speedrunner with is speedrunner focussed stuff. Sure little rewards like a simple skin or a cute reward-screen are nice, they're not locking out other players from any serious content.

In my eyes the best way to reward a speedrun-focussed player is to give them a timer. One that's on-screen all the time.
Another good one that'd go hand in hand with that would be the game keeping track of all your times. Like a top ten fastest clears or something (across multiple save files preferably). It being segmented to help you find the areas you could improve on would be amazing.
If the game could be segmented reliably (like from required boss to required boss or something), having the option to select to start at certain parts for practice or setting times for these shorter sections, would be really quite something.
I haven't seen any game really do something like this. At least not a game that doesn't focus on speedrunning at its core.
Personally if these 'modes' or options were added, I wouldn't put the speedrun time to unlock it too high as to not lock out too many players, regardless of the stuff it unlocks being speedrunner focussed (like for completionists for example).
The games I've seen giving timers for speedrunners (Axiom Verge, Fight N' Rage) usually have them unlocked from the start. Because why force the speedrunner to play through the entire game again if he/she just so happens to want to practice on multiple platforms?

The "practice runs" you're suggesting don't seem practical except for linear, pure action games because a) metroidvanias have loads of backtracking and possible alternate routes, and b) most of them have manual saving, and multiple files as you just mentioned. One can have multiple copies of a playthrough so that they can practice their own defined segments (like if they're going for 100% or low-percent speedruns), or just go back to if they foul something up. Doubly so if it's an old game offered with save-states. You may argue that the best of the best wouldn't have time even to stop for saving, but by the point they're trying to set records they should be well-practiced enough by then.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Speaking about "3D Transitions" and whether or not Shantae has to make it into 3D.
Honestly, if WayForward has the ability to do it, I think they should try it out some time.
Because re-using the same gameplay over and over again, is gonna get old eventually.
Pirate's Curse is the closest thing we have to making a different kind of game in the series and that game achieved it by taking away most abilities that make Shantae Shantae.
I honestly don't want Shantae to become stagnant like Pokemon or COD, who play it extremely safe and do the same thing over and over again, with minimal changes between each iteration.

You can blame and hate 3D-transitions all you want.
But without them, we wouldn't have gems like Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion series, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Donkey Kong 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to Breath of the Wild, etc.
A lot of great and beloved games came into existence, because of this transition and trying out something different.

So I will continue to vouch for a 3D-Shantae game, which could be a great step into a new direction.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The only Shantae game I would even remotely consider superfluous or iterative would be Risky's Revenge. Can you honestly say that playing any other Shantae game would give you a very good idea of what to expect from other titles? The original has it's... interesting mechanics for better or worse, Pirate's Curse relies more on inventory and semi-linear levels, Half-Genie Hero has a very different level structure and myriad ways to play them especially with DLC, and now Seven Sirens uses a twist on the Pirate Gear ability format, customizable stats via cards and a fully expansive metroidvania map. I just can't see us having reached the point of "play one Shantae game, played em all" yet. That the supposed definitive Shantae game Pirate's Curse can cause such contention says it all, really.

3D could be a great step. Emphasis on "could". Ultimately it's not for us to decide, and devs will do whatever they see fit based on a combination on capabilities, resources, artistic vision and last but possibly least, fan demand.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Some of these (The ones that are posted there at least) trended on KYM.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Standard disclaimer of you might see some Spicy stuff that Twitter recomends or by the artists themselves.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If you heard it or not, Sora and Dante are the current high fan requests on "poll results". While it does sound good, it doesn't help that the DLC has already been decided during FP 1 development.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Don't think it was mentioned here but yesterday was Wayforwards 30th anniversary.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, WF is celebrating their 30th

...and :ultgreninja:'d

Sad it didn't come with news about 7 Sirens. Seems like this would be a great time to talk about it so they must have a reason for keeping quiet.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really think anything any insider says right now is not right, given how hard nintendo are cracking down. So i dont think any talks of waluigi are true. I do think some things avout other games are true, like paper mario, as that started nintendo going after these leaks.

Still think geno is a shoe in as this passes fan request.

I still am set on an indie with shantae being to top pick.

Crash i think will be this passes surprise never thought it would happen pick and will reference the old crash commercials.

Ryu hyabutsu is 50/50 for me. That insider could have been right, but we just dont know.

I think doomguy is not happening, given how the company has been talking, and the cacomallow leak not being taken down by nintendo once.

Other then that i am not sure. If paper mario game is happening maybe paper mario in smash, as we do have a stage from paper mario in the 3ds game, and it would be a unique mario character. I cant think of many other 1st parties that is very likely. Dante and sora are no way happening. 2b is a possibility with how square is pushing her. Some namco character could happen with kosmos or a tales character most likeely. Rex and pyra could happen too. Last i still think Reimu is likely

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Sheesh the second pic wasn't NSFW at all. It was all PG based on the standards. Whatever.

EDIT: There is no such things as "seemed". It is either IS or IS NOT NSFW.

Plus the picture is PG standards so it is fine to post that stuff here.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Does anybody here use Shantae's Spirit?

I like to use Spirits in CPU-Matches.
Since their abilities can alleviate some of the headache CPUs can cause in a FFA or Team Match.
And Shantae is actually my most used Spirit for this. ;)

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Does anybody here use Shantae's Spirit?

I like to use Spirits in CPU-Matches.
Since their abilities can alleviate some of the headache CPUs can cause in a FFA or Team Match.
And Shantae is actually my most used Spirit for this. ;)
I use Shantae's spirit on Zelda since she is the magic user overall.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman

An update from the man himself on SourceGaming's Mega Smash Poll 2020. It extends a few more days to March 10th.

The link is in the video's description. If you haven't participated, now's the time before it's too late.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
got another Shantae Art was this shared yet?

Also Wayfoward are doing MIlestone posts about their history

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Man, the silence...
Did everybody abandon this thread, or what? o_O
I still pop in a few times every day. It's not that the thread's been abandoned, it's just that with the recent news and Direct droughts, along with the fact that we've discussed just about every Shantae related topic to death, there just isn't anything to talk about.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Man, the silence...
Did everybody abandon this thread, or what? o_O
Hi. I haven't been here in a while. I really need to show myself more often (in general, not just here).

I feel like every thread is pretty slow these days. Especially the newcomer speculation.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Seriously. Smash news, Shantae News or Direct news would all be cause for discussion on here, but we really haven't gotten anything.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
With all the events being delayed by the coronavirus onslaught, I can only look at Vitamin Connection's supremely ironic release timing.

The game also reeks of it being another attempt by Wayforward to breach the Japanese market.

zferolie

Smash Hero
With all the events being delayed by the coronavirus onslaught, I can only look at Vitamin Connection's supremely ironic release timing.

The game also reeks of it being another attempt by Wayforward to breach the Japanese market.
Its a big market, and i want wayfoward to do better there and other places too!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well if that one rumor is true then a Nindies Direct is this month. Not sure if anything important will happen within said even but I hope Seven Sirens new information happens.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

Mean, if you wanna be cynical about it, wasn't the Shantae opening by Trigger also an attempt on WF's end to get into Japan more efficiently?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mean, if you wanna be cynical about it, wasn't the Shantae opening by Trigger also an attempt on WF's end to get into Japan more efficiently?
Of course. Why else would they air it at a Japanese movie premiere?

Up until that point they mostly just seemed to be inspired by anime than anything. It's only after the initial Smash ballot campaign that they started really pushing for Japanese sales. Coincidence?

Vitamin Connection has a lot of J-Pop music, and Japanese language option even in western versions of the game.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Well, if I may offer a topic of discussion.

Given how Shantae's main ability is transforming, it's always bothered me that she doesn't have a trademark "Super" form or power-up that outclasses all the rest. Most characters that rely on a wide variety of powers usually have something like that. You know, that one ability that they save for a special moment, and when the bust it out the audience can really tell "**** just got real". Sonic has Super Sonic. Original Megaman didn't really have one, unless you count the combination with Rush, but X definitely did. Kirby has Hypernova Kirby and the Ultra Sword. And so on. The only thing she really has is her Dancer outfit, and I'm not really sure you can call that a power up, it seems rather uh... flimsy.

If Shantae were to gain a super form of her own, what would you like to see in it? A new animal or creature? A recolor of her humanoid form with new powers? What abilities would she have?

Personally, at least as far as looks go, I'd love to see something like the Avatar state from AtlA/LoK, glowing eyes, change in hair color, even though it's become kind of cliche at this point. Or something like Ajna's Heruka transformations from Indivisible, but maybe with not quite such a drastic change. If it had to be a magical creature, maybe a dragon, or a gryphon?

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Of course. Why else would they air it at a Japanese movie premiere?

Up until that point they mostly just seemed to be inspired by anime than anything. It's only after the initial Smash ballot campaign that they started really pushing for Japanese sales. Coincidence?

Vitamin Connection has a lot of J-Pop music, and Japanese language option even in western versions of the game.
Ok. So what does that mean? Normal business strategy to increase profits? Or are they also trying to get the Japanese audience more comfortable with the company because the genie girl is gonna end up in smash?

Im asking halfway out of boredom and thread pages. But also because I wanted to ask: how are they going to push Seven Sirens? Because we're running out of time for "spring 2020" and we don't even have a date yet. They won't show it off for the Nindie Direct because they haven't shown anything about SS at a direct yet, it's been all on Twitter. But that wont do enough to probably market the game now. They need to try to reach a wider audience than just the loyal Wayforward fans. But at this rate, we might get a single tweet maybe 1-2 weeks after the random Nindie direct.

Given how Shantae's main ability is transforming, it's always bothered me that she doesn't have a trademark "Super" form or power-up that outclasses all the rest. Most characters that rely on a wide variety of powers usually have something like that. You know, that one ability that they save for a special moment, and when the bust it out the audience can really tell "**** just got real". Sonic has Super Sonic. Original Megaman didn't really have one, unless you count the combination with Rush, but X definitely did. Kirby has Hypernova Kirby and the Ultra Sword. And so on. The only thing she really has is her Dancer outfit, and I'm not really sure you can call that a power up, it seems rather uh... flimsy.

If Shantae were to gain a super form of her own, what would you like to see in it? A new animal or creature? A recolor of her humanoid form with new powers? What abilities would she have?

Personally, at least as far as looks go, I'd love to see something like the Avatar state from AtlA/LoK, glowing eyes, change in hair color, even though it's become kind of cliche at this point. Or something like Ajna's Heruka transformations from Indivisible, but maybe with not quite such a drastic change. If it had to be a magical creature, maybe a dragon, or a gryphon?
This is actually a good point. The closest would be the harpy since it breaks platforming in each game, but otherwise she really doesn't have a trump card ability. (Minus obliteration dance). I would love any other mythological creature form, since harpy/mermaid and naga/succubus etc all seem like fun. But I feel like a "full genie" form would make the most sense. Like a Djinn form officially. But one of the unknown half genie fusions in Seven Sirens might become one such ability.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman

I’m personally partial to her taking on a more “Super Robot” kind of final form. Nothing more “super” than that. :4pacman:
In all seriousness, I can see her tapping into the full extent of her hereditary Genie powers and abilities to (:ultrobin:/:ultrobinf: voice) “tip the scales” in her favor. Speaking of super forms, I think I found a picture related to this topic.

(Artist is OmegaSunBurst)
Great Scott, I wish that there were Kamen Rider Kuuga!Shantae pictures out there. You know, just so we can have her say “Chou-Henshin!” at least once.

Last edited:
Top Bottom