• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
God, that was so weird. And remember, it was Dark Pit's reveal, too. What a terrible, unhype choice for E3.
I wouldn't say Palutena plus Dark Pit was a terrible E3 reveal just kind of a inappropriate one. E3 is the place for the big fish to show up:

E3 2006: Snake, Meta Knight, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Pit
E3 2013: Mega Man, Villager
E3 2015: Ryu, Roy
E3 2018: Everyone Is Here, Ridley, Daisy, Inklings,
E3 2019: Banjo & Kazooie, Hero

E3 2014 was definitely weird in terms of Smash E3 reveals. Palutena and the Miis? Suited for a general Direct or Smash Direct yes, but for a E3 reveal? Absolutely not.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
it also says that warframe spirit evolves. I don't think any new spirit has been able to evolve so far, unless I am mistaken

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
it also says that warframe spirit evolves. I don't think any new spirit has been able to evolve so far, unless I am mistaken
Slime -> King Slime
Great Sabrecub -> Great Sabrecat
Jinjos -> Mighty Jinjonator
All Three Houses lords -> Timeskip versions

Unless you're talking non-DLC board spirits?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Slime -> King Slime
Great Sabrecub -> Great Sabrecat
Jinjos -> Mighty Jinjonator
All Three Houses lords -> Timeskip versions

Unless you're talking non-DLC board spirits?
whoops i had no idea they evolved. shows how much of the dlc events I have done lol.

but I guess this is this first non spirit board to evolve huh?

zferolie

Smash Hero
So with still no general direct in site, and MAYBE a nindie direct in march, if we get no general direct before this nindie direct, i think we will see for sure something shantae related.

Most likely seven sirens, but that long shot indie character in smash with shantae shown at the end.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with still no general direct in site, and MAYBE a nindie direct in march, if we get no general direct before this nindie direct, i think we will see for sure something shantae related.

Most likely seven sirens, but that long shot indie character in smash with shantae shown at the end.
I know it's not likely, but please God give us Shantae in Smash PLEASE!!! I pray we will get a Smash reveal at the Nindies.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Uhhhhhhhh Warframe just got revealed to be getting a spirit in Smash?

View attachment 263824
Warframe player here!

Digital extremes (Owners of Warframe) is technically an Indie Developer. So it's good to see more indie representation even if it's just sprits.

(And for those wondering, her evolving makes sense in Warframe lore.)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Warframe player here!

Digital extremes (Owners of Warframe) is technically an Indie Developer. So it's good to see more indie representation even if it's just sprits.

(And for those wondering, her evolving makes sense in Warframe lore.)
I see, I knew THAT would be her enhanced form.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I will get the spirit then look up warframe. Also, we are almost out of February to March. Spring is now around the corner.
Screenshot_20200221-123020_YouTube.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: ARIES-GA2003
shantae_by_aries_ga2003_ddray4i-pre.jpg
Also, if you can guess. What could Shantae's character model and moveset be based on in Smash's current roster build?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As anyone here gone over what potential design they would use for Shantae if she get's in? I think her Smash design would be a mix between all of her designs like how they did for Ridley and K. Rool. Ridley's Ultimate design being a mix between Super Metroid and Other M, K. Rool's being a mix between his Rare design and Paon design. Shantae's Smash design would probably be a mix between the original, RR, PC, HGH, and SS or just a new design entirely. It would be the first time we would officially see our gal in 3D.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Thinking about it, Smash Bros is probably the only way we will ever get to see Shantae in a 3D-Model.
Since, from the looks of it, WayForward doesn't want to make a 3D Shantae game.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about it, Smash Bros is probably the only way we will ever get to see Shantae in a 3D-Model.
Which is massively disappointing.

Due to how the series works as a metroidvania, it could easily translate into 3D very much like the Zelda series. The big general difference is that it would hinge more on transformations like Majora's Mask.

Who knows, maybe Shantae being a fighter in Smash might give the series the push it needs to take that leap.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Due to how the series works as a metroidvania, it could easily translate into 3D very much like the Zelda series. The big general difference is that it would hinge more on transformations like Majora's Mask.

Who knows, maybe Shantae being a fighter in Smash might give the series the push it needs to take that leap.
Though it was a long time ago, I think Matt Bozon said the reason why they won't make a 3D-Shantae game, is because her long hair would completely cover her up from a back view.
So they stick to 2D-Games for Shantae.

And if they haven't changed their mind about this, we probably won't see a 3D-Shantae game.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Though it was a long time ago, I think Matt Bozon said the reason why they won't make a 3D-Shantae game, is because her long hair would completely cover her up from a back view.
So they stick to 2D-Games for Shantae.

And if they haven't changed their mind about this, we probably won't see a 3D-Shantae game.
Well right now the hair issue can be fixed via wind effect and a sway in her idle animation.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
2D, 3D, whatever. Devs will pick the style that suits the gameplay they want to make, and 3D isn't automatically better. Kirby has steadfastly stuck to 2D platforming and Yooka-Laylee Impossible Lair is generally seen as better than the original.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Anyone else think May is one of the most likely release periods for Seven Sirens at this rate?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan

Does there have to be a 3D Shantae? The series is fine the way it is. Nobody ever asks "When will there be a 2D Uncharted?" or "Why hasn't Halo made the leap to 2D yet?"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It sure will if we ever get her in. Our gal upon inclusion would be the talk of the town and almost everyone in the Smash community and out would be very curious to try her games out if they haven't. Smash is the one game I can think of that draws almost everybody to all of it's characters.

Anyone else think May is one of the most likely release periods for Seven Sirens at this rate?
I'm betting on May more than anything.

Does there have to be a 3D Shantae? The series is fine the way it is. Nobody ever asks "When will there be a 2D Uncharted?" or "Why hasn't Halo made the leap to 2D yet?"
It wouldn't hurt for WayForward to at least try to jump the franchise into 3D at least once. We won't know if it's bad or good until it happens. I for sure would be totally excited for a 3D Shantae game. But first honestly, I want to see a remake of the original game even before we get another sequel. Perhaps a 3D remake of the original? I would buy that **** in a heartbeat.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It sure will if we ever get her in. Our gal upon inclusion would be the talk of the town and almost everyone in the Smash community and out would be very curious to try her games out if they haven't. Smash is the one game I can think of that draws almost everybody to all of it's characters.

I'm betting on May more than anything.

It wouldn't hurt for WayForward to at least try to jump the franchise into 3D at least once. We won't know if it's bad or good until it happens. I for sure would be totally excited for a 3D Shantae game. But first honestly, I want to see a remake of the original game even before we get another sequel. Perhaps a 3D remake of the original? I would buy that **** in a heartbeat.
The thing about 3D adventure games is that they typically have different philosophies on how they like most players to play. Specifically, how they value thoroughness over speedrunning. No major 3D adventure I can think of offers rewards for how fast you beat them, and even Metroid Prime only offers rewards for high percentages and not completion times.

Considering most of Wayforward's ventures are kinetic and challenge your speed, I wonder if they are willing to craft such a slower-paced game?

TOY the Gamer TOY the Gamer I'm looking forward to One Step to Eden on March 20th myself. Roguelike Battle Network with many characters to choose.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
The thing about 3D adventure games is that they typically have different philosophies on how they like most players to play. Specifically, how they value thoroughness over speedrunning. No major 3D adventure I can think of offers rewards for how fast you beat them, and even Metroid Prime only offers rewards for high percentages and not completion times.

Considering most of Wayforward's ventures are kinetic and challenge your speed, I wonder if they are willing to craft such a slower-paced game?

TOY the Gamer TOY the Gamer I'm looking forward to One Step to Eden on March 20th myself. Roguelike Battle Network with many characters to choose.
It's funny how I'm more excited for Indie games than I am for anything AAA this year, including Nintendo (unless they announce a character I actually have a connection to for Smash).

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a Shantae Artwork to end Feb 29 and start Spring in March.

Artist:
squidsmith_s_new_materials_by_jorichi1_ddrbfm3-pre.jpg

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Eastward is the indie game I am uber excited for. The pixel work in it is absolutely stunning and I love the potential character dynamics and the music. Really hoping to see it in the next nindie direct.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice

What are even useful awards for speedrunners? Do they just want a badge? Or do they mind an OP move that's acquired so late it's redundant?

And what could work in a 3D Shantae game speed runners would even like as a reward? Besides a fancy end screen.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
To put things in perspective, here's my top Indie games for 2020 (all coming to Switch):

1. Hotshot Racing (Lucky Mountain Games, Sumo Digital) - New
2. Shantae and the Seven Sirens (WayForward) - New
3. Dangerous Driving 2 (Three Fields Entertainment) - New
4. Rivals of Aether (Dan Fornace) - Port
5. Freedom Planet 2 (GalaxyTrail) - New*

*I believe the release of this game is close.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What are even useful awards for speedrunners? Do they just want a badge? Or do they mind an OP move that's acquired so late it's redundant?

And what could work in a 3D Shantae game speed runners would even like as a reward? Besides a fancy end screen.
Why would you want to actually give a reward beyond aesthetics for speedrunning? That wouldn't be fair to those who can't or don't want to pull them off.
Actually, the way Wayforward tends to structure things is giving the gameplay benefits for just finishing the game, (Pirate Mode, Hero Mode, Mighty Shot), then using those to pull off speedruns if they weren't possible before. I know that's certainly true of Pirate's Curse, you have pretty much no hope of meeting that game's speed criteria outside of new game plus even if you know the game in and out.

Speedrunning isn't about the reward, it's the journey. Mastering a game that is (ideally) super satisfying to play and control in order to push it to it's limits. Such an experience is probably easier to craft in a 2D environment than a 3D one; there's less opportunities for things to go askew for any reason.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Because that's more interesting than stagnation and technical progess?

I'm not saying 3D is superior, that's a subject of opinion. Nor am I saying they should ditch the 2D formula for the series. The fact every huge icon from the NES/SNES/etc. that has lived on in the 21st century has at least one 3D debut should say something. Most of them transitioning their main series onto that frontier at that.

It's simply has been the bar the general masses expected since the PS1/N64 and a metric ton more people would try it out.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I didn't like the early 3D era. Kinda hated it, actually. Every developer threw out everything they'd ever learned during the 8 and 16-bit eras to chase the 3D trend, and with very few exceptions, the new games weren't as good as their predecessors. It's not for nothing 2D platformers are back in and 3D platformers are just barely waking up from a long hibernation.

There's obviously room in the world for both, and like I said in the Dixie Kong support thread, I do like some 3D platformers. But this ever-present expectation that every 2D series has to transform itself into something radically different instead of getting better and better at what it already does well really grinds my gears.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I didn't like the early 3D era. Kinda hated it, actually. Every developer threw out everything they'd ever learned during the 8 and 16-bit eras to chase the 3D trend, and with very few exceptions, the new games weren't as good as their predecessors. It's not for nothing 2D platformers are back in and 3D platformers are just barely waking up from a long hibernation.

There's obviously room in the world for both, and like I said in the Dixie Kong support thread, I do like some 3D platformers. But this ever-present expectation that every 2D series has to transform itself into something radically different instead of getting better and better at what it already does well really grinds my gears.
That's largely because it was the advent of a new era.

It was a learning experience with nothing to take direct inspiration from. Very much like the early 8bit days before pioneers on the NES.

In a lot of ways, I miss those days in the mid to late 90s. It was fun being reintroduced to genres with a new perspective and being wowed by things never seen before, or maybe that's the childhood dopamine talking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom