• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
To help people get their minds off the game awards(if its bothering them), gonna post this before I sleep. I assume everyone here has the same answer for the first :p

To help people get their minds off the game awards(if its bothering them), gonna post this before I sleep. I assume everyone here has the same answer for the first :p

1. Shantae of course She's got great potential.
2. Doom Slayer, he seems like a character that make a lot of people happy.
3. Crash Bandicoot, I have some friends but also people I subscribe to on youtube (Caddicarus and SomecallmeJohnny who would love him in Smash)
4. Marina Liteyears, I want more awareness for her and Mischief Makers
5. Miku Hatsune, Id like to see a singing diva vocaloid get in Smash.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Mischief Makers seems to be in a tricky spot.
I mean, who owns the rights to it these days? o_O

Back then, it was either Treasure or Enix you had to go to.
But today... I don't know...

Or is it Abandonware?

zferolie

Smash Hero

Or is it Abandonware?
Thats a good question, very curious about that myself

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Well this was an underwhelming awards to come back to. Im legit more annoyed Smash lost to Sekiro than any other lack of news.

1. Shantae. Otherwise Lara Croft or Amaterasu. Honorable mention to Miku and Lilac.
2. Master Chief, Geno, Doom
3. Sora. Alternately, I can put Shantae here since my friend wants her too.
4. Underrepresented as in has a fighter but should have more? Then Shadow (or Blaze the Cat), Dixie, Crystal. Under repped in game (Shantae) then Resident Evil.
5. Um the slime from Glitch Trap. Or Climber (Life/Barrel Climber?) from Getting Over It.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Or is it Abandonware?
Thats a good question, very curious about that myself
It is likely Treasure as another game Rakugaki Showtime had Marina in it and the game was pulled from shelves in Japan due to legal disputes between Treasure and Square Enix over the ownership of IPs in it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man i feel bad for the geno thread. Someone is trolling them, as they seem to just be talking about geno and dlc leaks or stuff with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and the mods locked it again for reports...

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
I set myself an incredibly stupid challenge. Since I saw many people rooting for very recent/indie characters, I told myself "let's see if I can make a top 50 of the pre-2000 characters that are iconic enough to be in Smash". I failed miserably as I found I wanted to feature some characters from the early 2000s, so I pushed the boundary to 2005, and that was already a very bad idea as the list was growing way overboard - so I decided to stop at 100... and couldn't trim down enough, so that will be 115.

Shantae is only #15 in there, although she's my most-wanted character. I won't pretend that I managed to ignore my own preferences, that would be an obvious lie, but there were still some rules that applied, like the more ancient the character is, the higher it climbed on my list. I ignored their current status as deconfirmed (like the RE characters) or the feasibility of an arena for them (same, and other horror game characters). I also didn't care about their current popularity - hence why Geno is so low, I played Super Mario RPG, liked the characters, but he never stroke me as an absolutely essential addition? Maybe it's just me. Or the lack of Waluigi, for me he's a meme character. I still applied the Goku rule - hence why no Kyle Katarn or characters from Dungeon & Dragons games.

There's quite an amount of RPG characters, although many are "uh, guy with a sword", but it can't be helped, it's one of the genres that has the most iconic characters. I tried to not feature too many characters from fighting games - and consequently, I feel like I didn't feature enough of them. I could probably have pushed further this list to 150 characters, but it felt like an empty task - since I was trying to pinpoint characters that would deserve to be in Smash, that would get to the point where it means that there's something like 300 characters around (at least) deserving to be featured in that game. And to me it feels as stupid as it sounds. Anyway, talking, talking, here's my little list, broken up in packs of 25 for the readers' convenience.

1. Adol Christin (Ys, 1987, Falcolm)
2. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider, 1996, Eidos)
3. The Avatar (Ultima, 1981, Richard Garriott)
4. The Prince of Persia (Prince of Persia, 1989, Brøderbund)
5. Axel Stone (Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage, 1991, Sega)
6. Doomguy (Doom, 1993, id Software)
7. Guybrush Threepwood (Monkey Island, 1990, LucasArts)
8. Gordon Freeman (Half-Life, 1998, Valve)
9. Terra Branford (Final Fantasy, 1994, Square)
10. Dr. Eggman (Sonic, 1991, Sega)
11. Rayman (Rayman, 1995, Ubisoft)
12. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong, 1995, Nintendo/Rare)
13. Alex Kidd (Alex Kidd, 1986, Sega)
14. Joe Musashi (Shinobi, 1987, Sega)
15. Shantae (Shantae, 2002, WayForward/Capcom)
16. Blaze Fielding (Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage, 1991, Sega)
17. Sir Graham (King’s Quest, 1984, Sierra)
18. Turrican (Turrican, 1990, Rainbow Arts)
19. Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim, 1994, Shiny Entertainment/Interplay)
20. Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble/Puzzle Bobble, 1986/1994, Taito)
21. Kunio (Kunio-kun, 1986, Technos)
22. Q*Bert (Q*Bert, 1982, Gottlieb)
23. Chun-Li (Street Fighter, 1991, Capcom)
24. Worms (Worms, 1995, Team17)
25. Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars, 1996, Sega)

26. PaRappa (PaRappa the Rapper, 1996, Sony)
27. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra, 1987, Konami)
28. M. Bison (Street Fighter, 1991, Capcom)
29. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot, 1996, Sony)
30. Chris Blair (Wing Commander, 1990, Origin Systems) [not sure how he could be implemented, might require Captain Falcon-ing]
31. Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue, 1999, Sega)
32. Alucard (Castlevania, 1989, Konami)
33. Master Chief (Halo, 2001, Bungie)
34. Garrett (Thief, 1998, Eidos)
35. Ryu (Breath of Fire, 1993, Capcom)
36. Ashley Riot (Vagrant Story, 2000, Square)
37. Sora (Kingdom Hearts, 2002, Square/Disney)
38. Cate Archer (No One Lives Forever, 2000, Monolith)
39. Isaac (Golden Sun, 2001, Nintendo)
40. Ray (Custom Robo, 1999, Nintendo)
41. Cecil Harvey (Final Fantasy, 1994, Square)
42. Dante (Devil May Cry, 2001, Capcom)
43. Sephiroth (Final Fantasy, 1997, Square)
44. Edge (Panzer Dragoon, 1998, Sega) [not sure how he could be implemented, might require Captain Falcon-ing]
45. Haohmaru (Samurai Shodown, 1993, SNK)
46. Kratos (God of War, 2005, Sony)
47. Vault Dweller/Albert Cole (Fallout, 1997, Interplay)
48. Tex Murphy (Tex Murphy, 1989, Access Software)
49. Duke Nukem (Duke Nukem, 1991, Apogee/3D Realms)
50. Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft, 1998, Blizzard)

51. Vyse (Skies of Arcadia, 2000, Sega)
52. Kain (Legacy of Kain, 1996, Silicon Knights/Crystal Dynamics)
53. Max Payne (Max Payne, 2001, Remedy Entertainment)
54. Heihachi Mishima (Tekken, 1994, Namco)
55. Klonoa (Klonoa, 1997, Namco)
56. Chris Redfield (Resident Evil, 1996, Capcom)
57. JC Denton (Deus Ex, 2000, Eidos)
58. Carl “CJ” Johnson (Grand Theft Auto, 2004, Rockstar)
59. Knuckles (Sonic, 1994, Sega)
60. Commander Keen (Commander Keen, 1990, id Software/Apogee)
61. Nights (Night into Dreams, 1996, Sega)
62. Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark, 1999, 2000)
63. Abe (Oddworld series, 1997, Oddworld) [not sure how he could be implemented]
64. Crono or Serge (Chrono series, 1995, Square) [maybe both can be featured]
65. Siegfried/Nightmare (Soulcalibur, 1995, Namco)
66. Raziel (Legacy of Kain, 1999, Crystal Dynamics)
67. Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza, 2005, Sega)
68. Zero (Mega Man, 1993, Capcom)
69. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney, 2001, Capcom) [not sure how he could be implemented]
70. Lloyd Irving (Tales, 2003, Namco)
71. Tir McDohl (Genso Suikoden, 1995, Konami)
72. Fei Fong Wong (Xeno series, 1998, Square)
73. Kane (Command & Conquer: Red Alert, 1996, Westwood) [not sure how he could be implemented]
74. Spyro (Spyro the Dragon, 1998, Sony)
75. Marco/Tarma/Eri/Fio (Metal Slug, 1996, SNK) [with alternate costumes there’s literally zero reason not to include them all]

76. Justin (Grandia, 1997, Game Arts/ESP, now D3)
77. Ratchet & Clank (Ratchet & Clank, 2002, Sony)
78. Aya Brea (Parasite Eve, 1998, Square)
79. Wander (Shadow of the Colossus, 2005, Sony)
80. Ranger (Quake, 1996, id Software)
81. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil, 1996, Capcom)
82. Geese Howard (Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, 1991, SNK)
83. Sir Daniel Fortesque (MediEvil, 1998, Sony)
84. Boogerman (Boogerman, 1994, Interplay)
85. Agent 47 (Hitman, 2000, Eidos)
86. Tails (Sonic, 1992, Sega)
87. KOS-MOS (Xeno series, 2002, Namco)
88. Yoshimitsu (Tekken/Soulcalibur, 1994, Namco)
89. Thrall (WarCraft, 2002, Blizzard)
90. Captain Syrup (Wario, 1994, Nintendo)
91. Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown, 1993, SNK)
92. The Dungeon Keeper (Dungeon Keeper, 1997, Electronic Arts)
93. Metal Sonic (Sonic, 1993, Sega)
94. Squall Leonheart (Final Fantasy, 1999, Square)
95. Prisoner 849 (Unreal, 1998, Epic) [doesn’t have a fixed appearance in-game]
96. Geno (Mario, 1996, Square/Nintendo)
97. April Ryan (The Longest Journey, 1999, Funcom) [as featured in Dreamfall]
98. Harry Mason/James Sunderland (Silent Hills, 1999, Konami) [characters don’t feel as iconic as the Resident Evil ones, except for the too gruesome Pyramid Head]
99. Alundra (Alundra, 1997, Sony)
100. Jazz Jackrabbit (Jazz Jackrabbit, 1994, Epic)

101. Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat, 1992, Midway) [I know it’s low, but I feel like Mortal Kombat is overrated]
102. Jade (Beyond Good & Evil, 2003, Ubisoft)
103. Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil, 1998, Capcom)
104. Raiden (Metal Gear Solid, 2001, Konami)
105. Riki (Kunio-kun, 1989, Technos)
106. Sarah Bryant (Virtua Fighter, 1993, Sega)
107. The Master (ActRaiser, 1990, Enix)
108. [Mega Man] X (Mega Man, 1993, Capcom)
109. Laharl (Disgaea, 2003, Nippon Ichi)
110. Erica Fontaine (Sakura Wars, 2001, Sega)
111. Konoko/Mai Hasegawa (Oni, 2001, Bungie) [very obscure, but has a cult following]
112. Proto Man (Mega Man, 1990, Capcom)
113. Fayt Leingod (Star Ocean, 2003, Square)
114. Claire Redfield (Resident Evil, 1998, Capcom)
115. Rayne (BloodRayne, 2002, Terminal Reality)

Feel free to criticize/comment - or ignore. I don't mind, I just did this because I found the effort fun XD

Edit: I forgot Carmen Sandiego and Dirk the Daring. And probably many others. It's hard thinking about all the relevant characters --"

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't find the Tweet or the picture, but do you guys remember Christna Vee's hair being like Shantae's and she said something like y'all wishing for a half-genie hero?! She said this in a Tweet just before the November Smash Direct last year. What was that about?

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I can't find the Tweet or the picture, but do you guys remember Christna Vee's hair being like Shantae's and she said something like y'all wishing for a half-genie hero?! She said this in a Tweet just before the November Smash Direct last year. What was that about?
That was just her throwing fans a bone.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That was just her throwing fans a bone.
Tinhat theory time: What if it was a long pending tease?! Like Shantae as the last Season Pass character? Never say never.

Edit: Sigh... I wish this thread was as active or try to be as active as the Geno thread. I feel like this thread has kind of loss momentum since Shantae was confirmed as a Spirit back in the November Direct last year.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
jj
Tinhat theory time: What if it was a long pending tease?! Like Shantae as the last Season Pass character? Never say never.

Edit: Sigh... I wish this thread was as active or try to be as active as the Geno thread. I feel like this thread has kind of loss momentum since Shantae was confirmed as a Spirit back in the November Direct last year.
Geno was only as a active cause people used it as essetially a social thread, it has a ton of dicsussion with NOTHING about geno. from little I skimmed..

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
jj

Geno was only as a active cause people used it as essetially a social thread, it has a ton of dicsussion with NOTHING about geno. from little I skimmed..
Honestly, we have more to discuss about Shantae than the Geno thread does about Geno. Shantae having 4 soon to be 5 games and Geno only being in one game. Shantae has more lore to discuss about.

zferolie

Smash Hero

you sure you want it as active as ther geno thread? it gets a bit.... hectic there. and I feel people are praying on the geno fans there... I am not sure what Fatmanonices goal is but he is being to vague and his comments on what he heard go against other things being said... almost just to give them all hope and argue...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
you sure you want it as active as ther geno thread? it gets a bit.... hectic there. and I feel people are praying on the geno fans there... I am not sure what Fatmanonices goal is but he is being to vague and his comments on what he heard go against other things being said... almost just to give them all hope and argue...
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has been on this site for 13 years strong. I respect that man. He isn't a leaker, he speculates and creates awesome deep minded theories from what he has heard and such.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, it's not like there hasn't already been arguing between the leakers already. And Fatman is very clear that is speculation is just that, his personal speculation. It could easily be wrong, but the thread likes to hear it for speculations sake.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has been on this site for 13 years strong. I respect that man. He isn't a leaker, he speculates and creates awesome deep minded theories from what he has heard and such.
I get that, his latests posts seem to suggest he has a leaker or source. saying how FP5 is going to be a western character that will deconfirm a popular pick. I mean I haven't seen anywhere else mentioning this.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I get that, his latests posts seem to suggest he has a leaker or source. saying how FP5 is going to be a western character that will deconfirm a popular pick. I mean I haven't seen anywhere else mentioning this.
Shantae deconfirming KOS-MOS lol.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Still that doesn't make Fatmanonice Fatmanonice a leaker. The guy protects any of his contects so he'll only share their information if they allow him too.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Shantae deconfirming KOS-MOS lol.
Haha. I think it was saying that a western fighter deconfirms another western fighter or something. I don't know... I just don't like this vague leading people on thing. I get that his source says this is all he can say but still do we even know how reliable this source is?

Still that doesn't make Fatmanonice Fatmanonice a leaker. The guy protects any of his contects so he'll only share their information if they allow him too.
I respect that. you don't want to betray their trust. I am just not a fan of vague stuff. I like outright deconfirms the most, prefer not to hear hard confirms but not against(due to surprise factor), but hate super vague that just brings up too many peoples hopes.

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Haha. I think it was saying that a western fighter deconfirms another western fighter or something. I don't know...
Very weird. How would that work? Shovel Knight or Rayman promoted meaning Shantae is deconfirmed? I don't even see why - that would only increase her chances for post-pass IMO. And it works the same the other way round. Or another indie character like Quote getting in before her?

Do you guys know what Fatmanonice exactly said?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Very weird. How would that work? Shovel Knight or Rayman promoted meaning Shantae is deconfirmed? I don't even see why - that would only increase her chances for post-pass IMO. And it works the same the other way round. Or another indie character like Quote getting in before her?

Do you guys know what Fatmanonice exactly said?
I honestly think whoever this "3rd party western character" is will probably be from the same company as said popular character. Like if Ezio Auditore or the Rabbids got in that would deconfirm Rayman because they are all Ubisoft.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think whoever this "3rd party western character" is will probably be from the same company as said popular character. Like if Ezio Auditore or the Rabbids got in that would deconfirm Rayman because they are all Ubisoft.
I see. In that case, something Microsoft that would kill off Steve maybe?

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
I would kind of say Banjo & Kazooie already did that, but Master Chief would seal the coffin shut on Steve if he were to happen.
Yeah, I have a hard time thinking of Banjo & Kazooie as Microsoft... Master Chief would work, though I'd love Ori better.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, I have a hard time thinking of Banjo & Kazooie as Microsoft... Master Chief would work, though I'd love Ori better.
I see them as Rare reps instead of a Microsoft one. But technically, they're Microsoft reps. Microsoft's copyright is on the opening screeen and Classic Mode credits alone without Rare to prove that.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I see them as Rare reps instead of a Microsoft one. But technically, they're Microsoft reps. Microsoft's copyright is on the opening screeen and Classic Mode credits alone without Rare to prove that.
the credits litterally list microsoft not rare for banjo though

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Alright so, based on where we stand,

What time frame do you think we might actually get a reveal/direct?
Like next week? Wait until Jan for a Feb release?

And since Seven Sirens is coming out March through May, when do you think we maybe get a new trailer?

Dukefire

Smash Master
The holiday and the New Year of 2020 is about to roll over. So I expect that Nintendo will do another direct on February to get the games for spring 2020 displayed.

For WF on the Seven Sirens, they may show the new trailer on March or April to get people ready for Shantae's next adventure

Top Bottom