• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In regards to Rottytops chasing Shantae the same way Amy chases Sonic:
I personally don't think she's doing it for love. If anything, Rotty is just being clingy because Shantae is the only non-zombie person that's ever offered friendship towards her. Not every friendship has to lead to romance (it's why shipping can bother me more often than not, even though I'm guilty of it as well).
Besides her brothers, Shantae is Rottytop's first friend, full-stop. The three siblings were not well-liked even by other zombies; was that KEEP OUT! sign on Rotty's wagon in the first game put up by the other zombies out of fear, or by Rotty to get some peace from the harassment?

The "clinginess" is a very recent thing; early on Rotty didn't seem to have much faith in the relationship, even if she did like Shantae a lot. Not until forgiveness after a huge betrayal did she truly see herself as Shantae's friend. However, she still values her personal freedom somewhat more.

I personally ship her with Bolo a bit: he is the second person to vouch for her character, and not just for being pretty.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Got an update on my River City girls. Got an email saying its shipping soon, and the support got back to me appologizing for the delay. Guess the demand was higher then the supply

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
It's not out of the question. I can see her being like a mini-boss.

In regards to Rottytops chasing Shantae the same way Amy chases Sonic:
I personally don't think she's doing it for love. If anything, Rotty is just being clingy because Shantae is the only non-zombie person that's ever offered friendship towards her. Not every friendship has to lead to romance (it's why shipping can bother me more often than not, even though I'm guilty of it as well).
It's still a type of love. Platonic.

But yes. It is more of affection starved and craving.

Though that "shipping not required" reminds me of RWBY so much with Yang and Blake. The two have an episode early on where Yang is being a good friend, and hates when Blake runs away later because everyone basically just leaves in her life. The shippers are so potent that the show has to pander to putting the two together now in the later seasons, even though the set up was really good for a strong friendship, and Blake getting set up with someone else.

I liked the bumblebee ship originally. But it feels awkward now in the story. And the fans didn't help.

Besides her brothers, Shantae is Rottytop's first friend, full-stop. The three siblings were not well-liked even by other zombies; was that KEEP OUT! sign on Rotty's wagon in the first game put up by the other zombies out of fear, or by Rotty to get some peace from the harassment?

The "clinginess" is a very recent thing; early on Rotty didn't seem to have much faith in the relationship, even if she did like Shantae a lot. Not until forgiveness after a huge betrayal did she truly see herself as Shantae's friend. However, she still values her personal freedom somewhat more.

I personally ship her with Bolo a bit: he is the second person to vouch for her character, and not just for being pretty.
Oh right. I need to bring them coffee right now in my file.

If Shantae ever gets supplementary material, I'd love for them to tackle things like Rotty's relationship with the caravan and stuff like expanding on that sign.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
It's still a type of love. Platonic.

But yes. It is more of affection starved and craving.

Though that "shipping not required" reminds me of RWBY so much with Yang and Blake. The two have an episode early on where Yang is being a good friend, and hates when Blake runs away later because everyone basically just leaves in her life. The shippers are so potent that the show has to pander to putting the two together now in the later seasons, even though the set up was really good for a strong friendship, and Blake getting set up with someone else.

I liked the bumblebee ship originally. But it feels awkward now in the story. And the fans didn't help.
You have now proved why I hate it when fan ships get "confirmed". I may ship Shantae with Bolo, but I don't want nobody kissing nobody "canonically".

MLP:FiM did that at the last possible second, and it peeved me.

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, not fond of the Shantae-Bolo ship. Not only is it disconfirmed by Word of God, but I also feel like people are just shipping those two together because of a lack of more suitable males around. My personal opinion is that the Shantae series is actually not really fit for shipping this far, because of its overall writing and human male/female characters ratio (for hetero shipping, that is).

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah let's keep the shipping wars out of Shantae until at least the gender ration is more even. For now I want to know more about Shantae's mother and who was her human father(not subtle but a full blown reveal).

zferolie

Smash Hero
I personally find it annoying. Not even Cristina Vee lending her talents to it could change my mind.
I like the show, but I can't help but think if Monty was still alive it would be better and went a different route. I just really curious how much we have gotten he wanted to do. do they have a show bible he made they are following?

As for Shantae and Bolo, never really saw it. I see shantae either not into a relationship, or shipping her with Rottytops.

link2702

Smash Champion
Hey so I’ve normally been part of the geno thread, but after all the drama there over a week ago that put strict restrictions on it, I’ve kinda decided to stick to the discord, so I’m kinda out of the loop for Shantae’s chances....

But what I’m wondering is, has anyone heard anything else after the teaser trailer for the newest game that had what looked to be a smashball emblem in the window in one scene? Anything speculation wise that has come from it?

While Geno has always been my no 1 pick, once he got in Shantae was my second pick, so I’m kinda curious what her chances are now....

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
It was either in the manual to the first Shantae game or the now dead old Shantae website (TBC in WayBack Machine). It is stated in the description for Bolo that Shantae's in the sisterzone for him.
Tell that to the people who also ship her with Sky. She's in the same boat if what you're saying is true.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Hey so I’ve normally been part of the geno thread, but after all the drama there over a week ago that put strict restrictions on it, I’ve kinda decided to stick to the discord, so I’m kinda out of the loop for Shantae’s chances....

But what I’m wondering is, has anyone heard anything else after the teaser trailer for the newest game that had what looked to be a smashball emblem in the window in one scene? Anything speculation wise that has come from it?

While Geno has always been my no 1 pick, once he got in Shantae was my second pick, so I’m kinda curious what her chances are now....
Not quite sure. There's little things like how Geno has right now. I'd say her chances are 50/50.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice

Since then it's been mostly open-ended things like Cristina Vee voicing Shantae again with no mentions for what (probably 7S, but timing for a fighter would fit just as well). Nothing really substantial, just things to chuck on the "could be coincidence/could be grasping/could be hints"-pile... which is just getting uncomfortably big at this point...
I'll just say that many (if not all|) of those things will fall into place if she's in Smash. And if not then we're left with a lot of questions still...

I'm not known for having my hunches ever being right though... So I'm just looking forward to Seven Sirens (and for my River City Girls Classic Edition to arrive).

zferolie

Smash Hero

I follow the geno thread on and off. Right now i am.off. i think they were just speculating on geno being 7th, and how 5th is somehow deconfiming a popular pick but no ifea how legit that is.

Right now ot seems no leakers or speculation os happening. Nintendo has been super quite and tight lipped these last few dlcs. If they didnt accidentally leak that snk logo terry would have been a complete surprise. This 5th i bet will also be a surprise unless nintendo messes up again.

I think shantae is more likely post fp but could still happen...

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
It was either in the manual to the first Shantae game or the now dead old Shantae website (TBC in WayBack Machine). It is stated in the description for Bolo that Shantae's in the sisterzone for him.
Shantae, as the child hood friend, has been sisterzoned, and that is specifically why Bolo gets googly eyed at every babe other than the skimpy half genie beside him. He does pretty much the same with Skye and Rotty.

Though childhood friend is a reason in and of itself to ship them down the line.

Also, I'd argue we need more males in the ratio for hetero and double guy shipping needs. Only fair. Might get a competent male character eventually in the process. Though I'd welcome even just the male scorpion monsters again.

Has the a Geno page come up with anything interesting of possible timeframes for a reveal? Like how the game's anniversary was a check point before the game awards.

Talking about RWBY... It's good?
Are you asking as one whose seen and dropped the show or as one looking to get in it?

If the former, I haven't watched V7 yet for still being burnt out on forced bumblebee annoyance. But my friend actively watches and hasn't had any real impulse messages of rage my way. And a couple writing choices aside, I noticed the specific changes they made in V6 in reaction to major mistakes the fans pointed out over time, being imo a step in the right direction from V5. So I think it's doing tolerable to good now.

If the latter, it has an intriguing concept and world starting out as a passion project before being adopted by the full studio. There are just as many plot holes as there are patches (the latter many viewers dont realize because they forget small moments) but it has great music and a good chance of at least one character catching your interest. Plus is accessible, being free to watch. I tend to enjoy it just fine as long as I don't spend too much time in analysis videos tearing it apart

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Yeah, but it also says that Rotty is a bad influence essentially. Adding even more reasons to why I absolutely hate her as a character.
It's absolutely unfair to see Rotty as nothing more than a corruptor. She has more to herself than simply her Ethos, she has her Pathos and her Logos, in a sense that she is her own story within a larger framework of a story. She is capable of complex emotions, facing crises, and facing off against her own personal demons with the help of a more positive influence that she didn't know she needed. It speaks on behalf of both Shantae's and Rotty's character, the former of which has the light and the heart to break Rotty's shell and bring her into the light, and the latter for being a catalyst of change and for valuing the loyalty of friendship after directly influencing and seeing the effects of disloyalty personally.

At the end of the day, you're more than allowed to hate Rottytops. And she is fundamentally more a darker shade of gray than the rest of Shantae's friends, however she is not static, but a vector of change personified, and it's overall ignorant to not see the achievements of her progression from one of the roughest helpers of the Half-Genie Hero to a fierce defender.

Actually, I got a question for the rest of the Shantae server: Is what I said about Rottytops accurate? If not, then we shall have a debate about her character arcs. It'd be something to help soothe the Smash news drought.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, but it also says that Rotty is a bad influence essentially. Adding even more reasons to why I absolutely hate her as a character.
Those bios are super old, and feel more like beta bios, especially for Rotty and doubly so for her brothers. "Nasty"? Abner, maybe could be seen that way with his appearance and aloof behaviour, but Poe? That guy couldn't hurt a fly. He's worried about an undead rodent with endless stamina getting "hurt" running around a castle.

What one might see as Rotty being a vile temptress (and the only action remotely close to in-line with that would be trying to get Shantae to be "princesses" with her in Tan Line Temple) comes off as more ill-conceived attempts to be more friendly with Shantae. The human part of her soul that basically acts as her inner thoughts/subconscious straight up says she admires Shantae and wants to be like her, but always seems to alienate and push her away somehow when she reaches out in her own way.

From Half-Genie Hero onwards, the worst she does is harmless feather ruffling or honest mistakes. Then when the tables are turned on subconscious viewing and she sees herself as a human in Shantae's mind, it serves as another piece of evidence of how what they share is special. The traits she calls out to when awakening Shantae are her compassion and kindness, another point against being a willing corruptor.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I hate her more so because of how forced she comes across. Her justification for being in games beyond Risky's Revenge seem like how Shadow is now treated in the Sonic series. Basically, she's only there for pointless fan service (and not the good kind, she's just all around obnoxious). It doesn't help how shippers constantly bark at me about how "perfect" she is for Shantae and so forth.

The only way I could even remotely like her if she wasn't such so hopelessly flirty to the rest of the cast... that and being reduced to the equivalent of a fart joke.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I hate her more so because of how forced she comes across. Her justification for being in games beyond Risky's Revenge seem like how Shadow is now treated in the Sonic series. Basically, she's only there for pointless fan service (and not the good kind, she's just all around obnoxious). It doesn't help how shippers constantly bark at me about how "perfect" she is for Shantae and so forth.

The only way I could even remotely like her if she wasn't such so hopelessly flirty to the rest of the cast... that and being reduced to the equivalent of a fart joke.
This seems to be less an example of Rotty herself and more a problem of Rotty as portrayed by fanon. They're entirely different beasts, as you've seen with Shantae, as you've seen with Sash Lilac, as you've seen with your childhood symbols on the Internet. I will admit that, on occasion, she is more like a walking joke over a character, but at the end of the day, her portrayal is someone whose flirty and a bit of a bad streak, but at the end of it all, she's helpful to the only human (well, Half-Genie) who approached her without fear to personally try to understand her, and developed more characteristics that helps contrast from her pre-Shantae character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If I were to be blunt in the practical purposes of Shantae characters, I could say that all our Friends To The End were nothing more than keys and hints to the next dungeon in the first game, while Mimic is only there to conveniently dig up or build whatever starts the next plot. Whatever opinion you make about deeper aspects of a character, should come from stuff written in the games themselves, not purely by fans or decades-old dev words.

On another note, did anyone notice that scrapped battle mode on the website for the unreleased GBA game? It almost looks like Smash. Maybe that's why Matt seemed more interested than most in campaigning for their character in the ballot days, as does the current way enemies fly away and explode...

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
If I were to be blunt in the practical purposes of Shantae characters, I could say that all our Friends To The End were nothing more than keys and hints to the next dungeon in the first game, while Mimic is only there to conveniently dig up or build whatever starts the next plot. Whatever opinion you make about deeper aspects of a character, should come from stuff written in the games themselves, not purely by fans or decades-old dev words.

On another note, did anyone notice that scrapped battle mode on the website for the unreleased GBA game? It almost looks like Smash. Maybe that's why Matt seemed more interested than most in campaigning for their character in the ballot days, as does the current way enemies fly away and explode...
The Battle Mode seemed to be like a Mario Party minigame, at least the one screenshot that I saw.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace

I use to like Rotty, but then rabid shippers jumped on me and now I have very bitter feelings towards her.

I'm not someone who easily forgets how mean some people have been to me.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I use to like Rotty, but then rabid shippers jumped on me and now I have very bitter feelings towards her.

I'm not someone who easily forgets how mean some people have been to me.
OK, but I would like for you to keep this in mind the next time you run into someone who dislikes Shantae due to running into some of her more obnoxious supporters, and see how that makes you feel or how fair you consider that treatment.

I've seen someone around these boards mention refusing to give Persona a chance because of some "friends" refusing to shut up about the games, only for them to end up being a favourite series once the spite was moved past. Plus that King Of The Hill episode about a green movement. Bobby joins it like he tends to with any new thing, his father Hank Hill (Mr. Propane for the unfamiliar) is skeptical at first but appreciates it when it's seen to be pretty reasonable at it's core. The problem for Bobby arises when he notices other people doing it only to look good or be hip, and Hank reassures him that what he's doing is good and shouldn't let other annoying people scare him off from doing what he likes.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
OK, but I would like for you to keep this in mind the next time you run into someone who dislikes Shantae due to running into some of her more obnoxious supporters, and see how that makes you feel or how fair you consider that treatment.
I don't even get upset over "Shantae haters" anymore. In fact, I actually understand some of their beef towards it after July.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't even get upset over "Shantae haters" anymore. In fact, I actually understand some of their beef towards it after July.
"Understandable'' doesn't mean ''right'' though. Shoot-the-messenger hate or spite-by-proxy as I'll call it, is the most harmful kind to the bearer due to being the most likely to cause one to miss out on things they might actually really enjoy.

At any rate, the only cure is time. Eventually those bad experiences will be nothing more than memories and you'll be left only with the game character that reminds you of why you liked them in the first place.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
"Understandable'' doesn't mean ''right'' though. Shoot-the-messenger hate or spite-by-proxy as I'll call it, is the most harmful kind to the bearer due to being the most likely to cause one to miss out on things they might actually really enjoy.

At any rate, the only cure is time. Eventually those bad experiences will be nothing more than memories and you'll be left only with the game character that reminds you of why you liked them in the first place.
I'm not saying they're right. I get the difference between the two.

What I was trying to say is that I understand why they feel the way they do about it following the events I went through on Twitter.

Top Bottom