• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I've honestly given up thinking she's the FP5 pick.

That being said I think she has a much better shot then most in the post Fighters Pass DLC.

But I honestly want the post FP picks to be entirely AT/Spirits Upgrades.

For 2 reasons.

One to kill the fan rules lol.
And two, lots of great characters (not just Shantae) are perfect choices for an upgrade to fighter.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
They could have at least give us a 2020 release window for the game.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

That being said I think she has a much better shot then most in the post Fighters Pass DLC.

For 2 reasons.

And two, lots of great characters (not just Shantae) are perfect choices for an upgrade to fighter.
I too think most the potential for interesting characters lie in the roster of assist trophies. Midna, Skull Kid, Ashley, Krystal, Alucard... So many cool characters held back by being assist trophies.

With Midna and Skull Kid in particular. All the Zelda characters were redesigned in Ultimate to represent different games in the franchise, but Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask didn't get any representation at all. Young Link could have been given his mirror shield and razor sword and MM would have been covered, but instead they decide to keep his Ocarina look while also reverting Ganondorf to his Ocarina look too.

If any of the current Zelda characters should have been repping Ocarina, it should have been Sheik since Ocarina is the only game to feature that character, but instead the redesign her to look like a sheikah from Breath of the Wild...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Between a revamped Great Bay, new Moon assist and Termina Field remix, I fail to see how Majora's Mask was shafted.

I hate the "playable rep is the only rep that matters" mindset...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Between a revamped Great Bay, new Moon assist and Termina Field remix, I fail to see how Majora's Mask was shafted.

I hate the "playable rep is the only rep that matters" mindset...
But when they were specifically revamping all the character designs to properly rep other games, why make two redesigns for BotW (one that doesn't even make sense) and then make another redesign for a game already repped (redesigning Dorf to Ocarina, when Young Link already had that covered)

It's just that MM was the most logical game for Young Link to represent since it's the one where this version of Link did the most and most differentiated himself from other Zelda heroes. Even with how he plays in Smash it makes more sense since it's the game were Young Link actually had a hookshot and fire arrows.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So anyway, to help allievate boredom, referring to my collage on page 882, who's next to cross out?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But when they were specifically revamping all the character designs to properly rep other games, why make two redesigns for BotW (one that doesn't even make sense) and then make another redesign for a game already repped (redesigning Dorf to Ocarina, when Young Link already had that covered)

It's just that MM was the most logical game for Young Link to represent since it's the one where this version of Link did the most and most differentiated himself from other Zelda heroes. Even with how he plays in Smash it makes more sense since it's the game were Young Link actually had a hookshot and fire arrows.
Adult Link is really the only one who represents one specific game from Brawl onward (he also really needed those changes to step out of his speedier brethren's shadows, they outclassed him at everything he tried to do). Toon Link may have the Wind Waker in one of his taunts, but he is still replaced by Alfonso on the Spirit train and his Classic run in Ultimate is based entirely on Triforce Heroes, to say nothing of Four Swords references in the past. Likewise I do not think they view Young Link as strictly from Ocarina Of Time, because they use the Termina Field remix in his video on the Smash website, and way back in Melee they made a point to mention that Link has traditionally been depicted as a youth, so he is likely representing all classic depictions of Link as a whole. Nowhere is this more evident than NES Link being represented by him in red. They probably just use the OOT design because it is iconic, and to give Smash players something familiar to what they had before with Link.

And besides, there is Hyrule Warriors, a dedicated Zelda fanservice game with no restrictions on how much Zelda content they can cram in without being accused of favoritism for the most part.

Edit: Should we throw a fit if they don't include alts for Shantae representing each specific game of hers? Colors seem more fun to me.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Time for the final preparations before the VGA tomorrow
Screenshot_20191122-195338_YouTube.jpg

Again, IDK if WF has any plans to appear at the Game Awards. So, I will assume that they will announced their games on their terms.

For Smash DLC, I have no clue on who it is, but I will accept on the fifth challenger. (Not for the first 15 minutes before coming to terms on why.)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shantae's only chance exists post Season Pass in my opinion. We just got to hope Spirit promotions becomes a thing and also hope they cater more to the fans on the post Season Pass characters. If that happens, we are pretty much in the clear.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
With nothing concrete to go off of, making definitive statements in either direction is foolhardy. All that affects is when you inflict misery upon yourself; before or after.

Just as there could be absolutely nothing shown at the awards... Maybe just focus on that part of the show to keep your mind off speculation?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
With nothing concrete to go off of, making definitive statements in either direction is foolhardy. All that affects is when you inflict misery upon yourself; before or after.

Just as there could be absolutely nothing shown at the awards... Maybe just focus on that part of the show to keep your mind off speculation?
Now saying that, I do hope that Metroid Prime 4 does bring up some information and possibly a small sneak peek of the game's plot.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Now saying that, I do hope that Metroid Prime 4 does bring up some information and possibly a small sneak peek of the game's plot.
Federation Force kind of did that already: Sylux is seemingly planning to do Metroidy Metroid things with a stolen Metroid. Unless they throw a curveball and Prime 4 is actually a sequel to Fusion.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Federation Force kind of did that already: Sylux is seemingly planning to do Metroidy Metroid things with a stolen Metroid. Unless they throw a curveball and Prime 4 is actually a sequel to Fusion.
Fusion was supposedly the final chapter on Samus's timeline as SR388 was destoryed along with all X parasites. Plus, no more metroids since all was exterminated with the recent clones on the research station. Both Restricted Lab and ones left roaming the station before impact.

Last thing, Samus still have her Fusion Suit.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
If there's no Smash news at the VGAs, wouldn't Geoff had said something? He has to know how probably half the audience must be watching for a FP5 announcement. Not like it counts as breaking trust with Nintendo if he were to say "specific announcements will not be made at specific event." Granted, he doesn't have to but come on did he or his team have to tease on Twitter "hey guys, remember that Joker reveal?" How can anyone not lol

Dukefire

Smash Master
Say as hit or miss, but Smash is something that doesn't want to be leaked. So, either it does show up at the VGA or it will appear in a direct February 2020.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Waiting until February to hear who FP5 is?! Dear God no! Lol!
just putting out a Worst Case Scenario with preparations of the salt bunker. Can't be fully ready, but can only endure for the worst to come depending on the storm in the evening tomorrow.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If there's no Smash news at the VGAs, wouldn't Geoff had said something? He has to know how probably half the audience must be watching for a FP5 announcement. Not like it counts as breaking trust with Nintendo if he were to say "specific announcements will not be made at specific event." Granted, he doesn't have to but come on did he or his team have to tease on Twitter "hey guys, remember that Joker reveal?" How can anyone not lol
That would go against the marketing he would want to do for his show. If he said no smash news, thats a large amount of people who may not even watch. Not saying anything lets people watching in hope of news

Dukefire

Smash Master
then again, people are continuously finding leaks to see who is the new challenger(s).

So, it stands to reason why there are no more official leaks and just with more filler after the SNK info was accidentally released couple months ago before Terry arrived.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Alright so we all PRETTY much agree FP5 WONT be an AT or a Nintendo character right?

Smash Ultimate DLC Potentials deconfirmation Version 2.png

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Heads up, Nintendo is encouraging fans to watch the VGA tomorrow.
Time to broadcast with start at 5:30 pm Pacific Time zone.
Well, of course they'd encourage fans to watch. They already won at least one reward, they might win more than one here :p As well as what Toy said, with regards to possible shadow announcements.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What does it mean for Shantae's chances if NO Smash reveal happens at the Game Awards?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

For 2 reasons.

Fan Rules are surprisingly resilient. People will do anything to eke order out of chaos.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fusion was supposedly the final chapter on Samus's timeline as SR388 was destoryed along with all X parasites. Plus, no more metroids since all was exterminated with the recent clones on the research station. Both Restricted Lab and ones left roaming the station before impact.

Last thing, Samus still have her Fusion Suit.
There being no Metroids left is about as likely as there being no more trace of Ridley left. Because unless Samus raids the Federation for every last sample of the baby they may have, or that rogue faction of Chozo never makes an appearance, there will always be new Metroids.
Well, of course they'd encourage fans to watch. They already won at least one reward, they might win more than one here :p As well as what Toy said, with regards to possible shadow announcements.
It's more fun to assume the simpler reasons before moving on to the more unlikely.

Dukefire

Smash Master
WF might have a plan of their own coming this month which could mean not at the VGA. We don't know, but we can't make it bother us in the front lines with a bigger prize waiting a day away.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

I swear, this entire conspiracy is going to be the death of me...

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace

I swear, this entire conspiracy is going to be the death of me...
Hey, I already made that theory! Not the part with Totaku but...STILL ]:<

Last edited:
Top Bottom