• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of VGA, there one more big indie character it could end up being.

The Knight from Hollow Knight. (VGA Indie GOTY 2017)

I looked at the rankings and it's surprisingly big in Japan for a Metroidvania.
Guess they love them some bugs.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

I would rather have Hornet, as her moveset could fit much better then the Knight honestly

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I would rather have Hornet, as her moveset could fit much better then the Knight honestly
I'd prefer her too but Smash tends to go for the main playable characters first. Though the latest set of mii costumes have be the lead female of SamSho, the Rival of KOF and the Bonus Boss of Undertale so things can change.

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
HEATHEN

In all seriousness, The Knight pretty much has his move set lined up already. You just have to get a bit creative with it using Charms and such. I'm almost done with a moveset concept for The Knight myself, but college is really busy this time of year.

Of course I'd love to see Shantae as well. Both of them would fit right in with their art styles and Shantae's probably got better move set potential than the knight.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I honestly think the Knight isn't that good of a character. He's not got the charm nor charisma to pull me into his world like Shovel Knight or Shantae do. Heck, even Lilac from Freedom Planet I'd argue would be a better pick than him due to her Sonic influence... whose already in the game... see where I'm going with this?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'd prefer her too but Smash tends to go for the main playable characters first. Though the latest set of mii costumes have be the lead female of SamSho, the Rival of KOF and the Bonus Boss of Undertale so things can change.
I mean she is getting the starring role next game, and she was a main character pretty much the first game too.

HEATHEN

In all seriousness, The Knight pretty much has his move set lined up already. You just have to get a bit creative with it using Charms and such. I'm almost done with a moveset concept for The Knight myself, but college is really busy this time of year.

Of course I'd love to see Shantae as well. Both of them would fit right in with their art styles and Shantae's probably got better move set potential than the knight.
True he can work, but i see Hornet being really cool with all her air combos. Minda like bayonetta but more air focused maybe

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
I honestly think the Knight isn't that good of a character. He's not got the charm nor charisma to pull me into his world like Shovel Knight or Shantae do. Heck, even Lilac from Freedom Planet I'd argue would be a better pick than him due to her Sonic influence... whose already in the game... see where I'm going with this?
The whole point of The Knight is that it (yes it, The Knight has no gender) is an empty being devoid of any will or desires. The charm of The Knight comes more from its cute appearance and how other characters react to it. You could kinda say the same thing about Link and Samus, they're both basically devoid of personality (ZSS doesn't count, her handful of voice lines in Smash don't represent her well).

Shovel Knight doesn't have much of a personality either, so I can't say I see your argument there. His bits of dialogue make him out as a stereotypical chivalrous knight.

When it comes to pulling you into the world, I'm confident The Knight's stage would do that, and there are quite a few good choices for a Hollow Knight stage.

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice

I would have no problem with Hollow Knight becoming the first playable Indie over Shantae. It would also please me that he beat Shovel Knight (I have obj reasons for not wanting him, not just the constant anti-Shantae talk).

If you add all the sword techniques and some of the internatice charms, I think there's a decent moveset for The Knight itself. But since I could see Hornet actually taunt and grunt when hurt, plus being the sequel's main character, I could also see her being just as likely.

Lilac would be so cool. Would she work as a Sonic echo? Becuase she's essentially Blaze with most of Shantae's personality, but shes physical like Sonic without the fire. Or is the stuff later on in FP too different? I don't know the game well from stopping midway.

You're right that Hollow Knight doesnt have personality, which is his thing being a lifeless soul, and that is a knock towards him. Ultimate did make changes to add in personality to characters when it could (Zelda). That's the main reason why Hornet would be more welcomed. She has a clear personality and im sure Sakurai would have fun with her needle/ thread and abilities.

Not gonna lie though, Hollow Kirby Knight would be the cutest thing ever.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi

Metal Cover of DTTD
(Shred Though the Danger)

The live action music video is being held up for some reason...

Makes ya think....

Probably not smash related, probably wants to release it in conjunction with Shantae 5

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I would have no problem with Hollow Knight becoming the first playable Indie over Shantae. It would also please me that he beat Shovel Knight (I have obj reasons for not wanting him, not just the constant anti-Shantae talk).

If you add all the sword techniques and some of the internatice charms, I think there's a decent moveset for The Knight itself. But since I could see Hornet actually taunt and grunt when hurt, plus being the sequel's main character, I could also see her being just as likely.

Lilac would be so cool. Would she work as a Sonic echo? Becuase she's essentially Blaze with most of Shantae's personality, but shes physical like Sonic without the fire. Or is the stuff later on in FP too different? I don't know the game well from stopping midway.

You're right that Hollow Knight doesnt have personality, which is his thing being a lifeless soul, and that is a knock towards him. Ultimate did make changes to add in personality to characters when it could (Zelda). That's the main reason why Hornet would be more welcomed. She has a clear personality and im sure Sakurai would have fun with her needle/ thread and abilities.

Not gonna lie though, Hollow Kirby Knight would be the cutest thing ever.
Yeah thats another reason i like hornet more, since she dors have a personality and voice. Granted some other characters in smash dont really have one like G&W but still. Knight can work but Hornet seems more alive. Plus they have done a character whos game wasnt out yet with Roy, so their is prescidence.

And yeah her needle and thread would be very unique

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've likened Hollow Knight to be more like Mimikyu myself. Neither can outwardly show emotion but they do have a will and react to what's around them.

My main concern is that it's traits could make it be seen as a suitable Mii costume. His moves can translate easily into Smash with little adjustment because of their simplicity, which is a double-edged sword.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll go ahead and be spectating more with the VGA coming in less than a week. So, time to prepare for the event and the possible salt levels.

Also here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: PurplePanda
ELBl4L4XYAMvOnp.jpeg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Cristina Vee tweeted she's recording Shantae?

I could see it being Seven Sirens stuff since she mentioned it so casually but I wonder what it is (No it aint Smash way too late for me to consider it)

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Cristina Vee tweeted she's recording Shantae?

I could see it being Seven Sirens stuff since she mentioned it so casually but I wonder what it is (No it aint Smash way too late for me to consider it)
It's probably some animated short to promote Seven Sirens. Like how Sonic Mania Adventures promoted Sonic Mania Plus... or maybe it's her recording Shantae for Indivisible.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I thought that was weird too.

In theory, Since the first part of Seven Sirens was released they would of "theoretically" recorded all of Shantae's voice clips months ago. (this is assuming a normal development process)
Didn't I just say this two posts up?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What if recording Shantae reveal for Game Awards like how the Persona 5 cast recorded like that what mere WEEKS before the Joker Smash reveal?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
What if recording Shantae reveal for Game Awards like how the Persona 5 cast recorded like that what mere WEEKS before the Joker Smash reveal?
I'm sorry, but it's gonna take something absolutely undeniable for me to even consider that as a possibility. Heck, I wouldn't put it past that Promare screening to reveal Seven Sirens is a 2020 game. WayForward's telling the truth about it being the same trailer, but that doesn't mean they can't edit that "Coming Soon" text into "Coming 2020".

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Didn't I just say this two posts up?
not exactly, You just posted a few potential reasons,

I iterated (as it was not directly stated) that recording for seven sirens when part of the game was officially released would be odd given normal development practices.

2 related but ultimately different posts.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
not exactly, You just posted a few potential reasons,

I iterated (as it was not directly stated) that recording for seven sirens when part of the game was officially released would be odd given normal development practices.

2 related but ultimately different posts.
OK. Yeah, you're also right. It would not make sense for her to be recording stuff for Seven Sirens at this point in development. Voice Acting is usually first up on the To Do list for game development (as it helps pace the story bits). So yeah, the only things this could be related to is either Shantae's DLC in Indivisible, a possible animated Shantae short... or the extremely long-shot possibility of Shantae being Challenger Pack #5 or even Post-Pass Fighter #1.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
OK. Yeah, you're also right. It would not make sense for her to be recording stuff for Seven Sirens at this point in development. Voice Acting is usually first up on the To Do list for game development (as it helps pace the story bits). So yeah, the only things this could be related to is either Shantae's DLC in Indivisible... or the extremely long shot possibility of her being FP #5 or even Post-Pass Fighter #1.
ADR for seven sirens is another option. My post is assuming normal development practices, due to the not normal release of Seven Sirens we cant really make too many assumptions on where they are at as far as development goes,

Sysreq

Smash Ace
OK. Yeah, you're also right. It would not make sense for her to be recording stuff for Seven Sirens at this point in development. Voice Acting is usually first up on the To Do list for game development (as it helps pace the story bits). So yeah, the only things this could be related to is either Shantae's DLC in Indivisible, a possible animated Shantae short... or the extremely long-shot possibility of Shantae being Challenger Pack #5 or even Post-Pass Fighter #1.
Could always be further down the line as post pass #3 or #4, assuming the DLC runs for at least one more year. Either way, cool to hear she's recording something Shantae-related

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
stupid NDAs keeping everything cool a secret...

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Haven't been in here for a day or so thanks to another one of my top picks (Phoenix Wright) garnering a lot of extra attention lately.

When people talk about Hollow Knight replacing Shantae and Reimu as the top indie choice, it makes me uncomfortable. I think the first indie pick should be one that has established itself into a multi-decade long running franchise, overcoming the odds of what it means to start out "indie".

Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight aren't a part of this definition just because they're both so new compared to Shantae and Touhou.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Haven't been in here for a day or so thanks to another one of my top picks (Phoenix Wright) garnering a lot of extra attention lately.

When people talk about Hollow Knight replacing Shantae and Reimu as the top indie choice, it makes me uncomfortable. I think the first indie pick should be one that has established itself into a multi-decade long running franchise, overcoming the odds of what it means to start out "indie".

Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight aren't a part of this definition just because they're both so new compared to Shantae and Touhou.
Speaking of Wright, i have not been following much, but is there really anything pointing to him other then it makes sense for Capcom to get someone else? Just curious. I think he could be hella fun but would rather have Sahnate or Reimu first.

As for replacing them, don't see it as that really. Team Cherry seems to have a close tie to Nintendo, and They could get a character, but Ubisoft has been close to nintendo and they have nothing.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Speaking of Wright, i have not been following much, but is there really anything pointing to him other then it makes sense for Capcom to get someone else? Just curious. I think he could be hella fun but would rather have Sahnate or Reimu first.

As for replacing them, don't see it as that really. Team Cherry seems to have a close tie to Nintendo, and They could get a character, but Ubisoft has been close to nintendo and they have nothing.
For Wright, no there is nothing in terms of leaks or announced games that point in his favor. All he's got right now is a bunch of dedicated fans who know he's been around for almost 19 years and love his many games.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For Wright, no there is nothing in terms of leaks or announced games that point in his favor. All he's got right now is a bunch of dedicated fans who know he's been around for almost 19 years and love his many games.
Just like us Reimu and Shantae Fans really then :D

moraven116

Smash Rookie
It’s really refreshing to see fans of multiple characters getting along. So much of the smash fandom is so toxic. For some reason people feel the only way to promote their character is to bash or insult someone else’s favorite. Whatever happens next week, I’m sure it’s gonna be a wild ride and we all have future chances with the extra dlc that’s coming

Dukefire

Smash Master
There will be a possibility that some will be a shocker to all. (Due to the mystery of Fighter Pass 5 and the possible sneak peek of post pass character #1)
Screenshot_20190604-102740_YouTube.jpg

Channel it and try to not target all darts for the jackpot. Rather, more on hiting the targeted points closest to the bullseye if you can.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Does anyone think the leakers are going thought another “enderdragon” case, when the character is hidden behind a seemingly legit character? I don’t think Namco will make it this ridiculously easy to leak the fifth fighter. At that point, they know every leaker is looking for fighter #5 in particular.

Last edited:

TheOctoRawk

Smash Rookie
Hi y'all! I've been lurking the newcomer speculation board here for about a year or so and finally decided to create an account. Anyways, I happen to be a big Shantae fan, and she is my most wanted newcomer. Count me in as a supporter for her inclusion in Smash.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Really hard to say about it. Anything could happen within the limited little time remaining before the VGA. Plus, I don't even know if another Namco character might appear for Fighter Pass challenger 5.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I assume that Shantae's VA doing new recordings is related to Seven Sirens or some other promotional thing, but there's still a part of me that hopes it's for a Smash trailer.
That doesn't make sense. It's either for Indivisible or some promotional cartoon. Voice work for Seven Sirens would've been done a while ago.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice

It's not that we want the newer ones over the older ones (that is one reason why I dislike Shovel Knight), but Hollow Knight would kind of be like the Joker of metroidvanias.

There was a discussion on the DLC thread that shared an image that compared the iconic characters of both FPS and JRPG genres. It went:
Genre Grandfather > Genre Face > Genre Masterwork
JRPG Hero > Cloud > Joker
FPS Doom > Master Chief > Gordan Freeman

So after Simon and Samus etc, I could see Hollow Knight being an exceptionally well made metroidvania enough to show where the genre has gone.

This particular paragraph I most agree with though as a whole. It's also big reason why I want Shantae the most. My lack of knowledge of Reimu makes me not fully root for her, but clap respectfully in agreement. (And still be happy because we actually a female for once)

That doesn't make sense. It's either for Indivisible or some promotional cartoon. Voice work for Seven Sirens would've been done a while ago.
Remind me, what's the time frame range of voice work before said product is released? I guess games vs cartoons vs something else.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Looks like Sabi deconfirmed Sora.

Shantae is still my dark horse hope for the last fighter's pass character, though I'd still bet on her being a post pass fighter instead.

Top Bottom