• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Look, they're busy folks, they ain't got time to think about Smash now that they're able to multi-task on multiple projects again (Bloodstained, Shantae 5 and River City Girls).
Something tells me they low-key still think about Smash when developing Shantae games. Let's see if enemies still fly and explode off-screen, or have movesets drawn for non-playable characters in concept.

Edit: Or even better, drop a clever reference to her current role in Ultimate somewhere.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Surfing TV Tropes and landing on the page of Holy Burns Evil, it posits that Shantae's hair-whipping is imbued with light magic, which is how she did so much damage to the Pirate Master. It's not responsible for her hair being effective at whipping in the first place, but it is interesting to think about. Indeed, without her magic, battles against Nega-Shantae and Pirate Master were grueling, but once she got it back against the latter he was brought to his knees in minutes. And in the final battle of Half-Genie Hero she can disable a dark genie with surprising ease, although Uncle's gizmo probably helped with that.

This isn't something brought up much in the series since actual creatures of darkness are a rarity, much like genies of light, but it's cool to see genie magic affecting Shantae in more ways than just letting her cast spells and transformation dances. And it makes my ideas for a light/dark switching mechanic all the more likely...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Surfing TV Tropes and landing on the page of Holy Burns Evil, it posits that Shantae's hair-whipping is imbued with light magic, which is how she did so much damage to the Pirate Master. It's not responsible for her hair being effective at whipping in the first place, but it is interesting to think about. Indeed, without her magic, battles against Nega-Shantae and Pirate Master were grueling, but once she got it back against the latter he was brought to his knees in minutes. And in the final battle of Half-Genie Hero she can disable a dark genie with surprising ease, although Uncle's gizmo probably helped with that.

This isn't something brought up much in the series since actual creatures of darkness are a rarity, much like genies of light, but it's cool to see genie magic affecting Shantae in more ways than just letting her cast spells and transformation dances. And it makes my ideas for a light/dark switching mechanic all the more likely...
I did kind of have a feeling that her hair whipping has some magic attribute added other just using it as a whip only

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I did kind of have a feeling that her hair whipping has some magic attribute added other just using it as a whip only
Yes, but this info also would imply that any physical attack by Shantae could be imbued with magic. Imagine, the otherwise impractical Power Kick gaining devastating power as something akin to Zelda's Lighting Kicks...

Today, I found out another strange point of ressemblance between Shantae and the Puyo Puyo series. It turns out there is a character in the latter who is capable of belly-dancing. Want to know who it is? I'll give a hint: it's the one character that lacks magic talent in a world where it's second nature to almost everyone.

rulue.png

Maybe the two could exchange some dancing and martial arts lessons.

With that little quiz out of the way, here's some art of Shantae and an underappreciated character from the old days:

https://www.deviantart.com/jezmm/art/Shantae-2019-793086978

From kvaran_kupus.

Has anyone seen this yet?

Naturally, the mind reels about what this could mean in the future. Do they intend to make a 2D game with 3D graphics for everything now that they've had some time doing that with Bloodstained, or go all the way to making their first fully 3D game?

zferolie

Smash Hero

Billybae10K Billybae10K has a new video up, but put shantae at 0% chance, while cuphead and other indies are higher then her... Love ya billy but I strongly disagree with you there

Dukefire

Smash Master

Billybae10K Billybae10K has a new video up, but put shantae at 0% chance, while cuphead and other indies are higher then her... Love ya billy but I strongly disagree with you there
I'm guessing he decided that spirits deconfirm and WF/Matt Bozon hasn't spoken about shantae for a while on twitter. (Though we already know that WF has their hands full with 3 games they are developing. River City Girls, Shantae 5 (title still unclear) and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Im so sick of people thinking all it takes for third parties to get into Smash is having ONE fairly relevant game that's popular and did very well.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I could see these two one liners spoken if the predicted ones on the higher list doesn't get chosen and the lower one does. Also, salt will follow after.
Character: I am Inevitable.
Appears having no invitation to Smash and sees another character holding the invite
Character: And I.......am.......Insert Character name.
Disappears to join Smash Ultimate.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm guessing he decided that spirits deconfirm and WF/Matt Bozon hasn't spoken about shantae for a while on twitter. (Though we already know that WF has their hands full with 3 games they are developing. River City Girls, Shantae 5 (title still unclear) and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.)
Yeah. they are super busy all the time. And I still don't buy into spirits deconfirm. She only has 2, so there are plenty of spirits to still put into a spirit board DLC(her transformations, Sky, Bolo, Rotty, Tinkerbats, ect). Sadly the DLC spirit board does hurt Rayman though, and Bandana

Im so sick of people thinking all it takes for third parties to get into Smash is having ONE fairly relevant game that's popular and did very well.
Yeah that annoys me the most. there is absolutely no way a third party will get in as playable if they only have 1 game. Shovel knight made it only as an AT because of that. Cuphead, Knight, Hatkid(sorry hat kid), and San(I hate undertale so much), will never get in just because they have only 1 popular game and they are flavors of the time. Undertale does have a second game, but still, way too meme-e

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah. they are super busy all the time. And I still don't buy into spirits deconfirm. She only has 2, so there are plenty of spirits to still put into a spirit board DLC(her transformations, Sky, Bolo, Rotty, Tinkerbats, ect). Sadly the DLC spirit board does hurt Rayman though, and Bandana
If anything, the lack of any art-related Kirby spirits (hell, not even Paint Roller is in here) could help Bandana, so we'll see. As for Rayman, it's bleeding weird that he gets in alone, while the rest of the Ubisoft spirits are all from Rabbids Kingdom.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Rayman only has one spirit and not counting Rabbids he has a lot of characters from his series that could be spirits.
That is true. one could compair rayman with the rabbids i suppose. I could have swarm some other rayman ones were in as well...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Yeah that annoys me the most. there is absolutely no way a third party will get in as playable if they only have 1 game. Shovel knight made it only as an AT because of that. Cuphead, Knight, Hatkid(sorry hat kid), and San(I hate undertale so much), will never get in just because they have only 1 popular game and they are flavors of the time. Undertale does have a second game, but still, way too meme-e
If he was a fighter, the Rayman spirit wouldn't have to show up in a theoretical board for him, given he'd get a fighter spirit obtained through Classic or the shop instead, and likely in just the Smash render if no better art is available.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, people are looking at the supposedly bigger picture of characters a lot of people are asking for. So, not a surprise chances and opinions for other characters are lowering. Plus, the drama in the community is starting to increase as tentions continue to rise for the Fighters Pass 4 spots.

Let's hold on for now with the spark that remains and don't dwindle from some people's opinions.

Art is made by ShadyBlazeBlizzard
Shantae_Vs_Squid_Baron_by_ShadyBlazeBlizzard.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still have a hunch that the fighter pass probably won't be the end, though a lot of people treat it like it is. Avengers Endgame coming out didn't help with that. Which is silly, since it wasn't said that there'd be nothing new afterwards. Hell, even balance patches would be enough to show that the staff are still having the energy for it.

The benefit of the doubt should be relied on right up until February.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still have a hunch that the fighter pass probably won't be the end, though a lot of people treat it like it is. Avengers Endgame coming out didn't help with that. Which is silly, since it wasn't said that there'd be nothing new afterwards. Hell, even balance patches would be enough to show that the staff are still having the energy for it.

The benefit of the doubt should be relied on right up until February.
I can understand the lack of the usual end-of-credits stinger is really meant to sell the finality, yet there's an unusual clanging noise like a hammer on anvil on the closing Marvel logo... Much like Smash, the end of cinema Avenger's story doesn't necessarily mean the end of movies in that universe altogether.

So long as Shantae keeps kicking in all senses of the word, eventually someone will understand her ballot performance wasn't just a bunch of hot air conjured up as a flavour of the month.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I can understand the lack of the usual end-of-credits stinger is really meant to sell the finality, yet there's an unusual clanging noise like a hammer on anvil on the closing Marvel logo... Much like Smash, the end of cinema Avenger's story doesn't necessarily mean the end of movies in that universe altogether.

So long as Shantae keeps kicking in all senses of the word, eventually someone will understand her ballot performance wasn't just a bunch of hot air conjured up as a flavour of the month.
Shantae has always been a solid contender, Her inclusion as a spirit has to be some evidence of that, And as long as WF keeps making Shantae games she will likely always will be a strong contender.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Behold, Paper Shantae:

Though to be honest, Half-Genie Hero is already pretty close to The Thousand Year Door in aesthetics, what with 2D sprites running around a 3D yet rudimentarily textured world. You could take almost character from the former, place them in the latter and they wouldn't look too out of place outside some stylistic differences.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Not to be That guy, but that is a Fire Emblem Heroes style Shantae, it says so in the post itself.
But other than that, it looks good. And yes, the FEH style looks like it would go well with the classic Paper Mario artstyle.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something to stir up from PushDustin. Sounds interesting, but have a tinfoil hat ready in case.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For their girlfriends joining them on the quest. Its this game here.

Honestly, never heard of the series until now.
It reminds me of Double Dragon.

Here’s some updates to my indie fighting game roster:
Awesomenauts: Voltar the Omniscient
Axiom Verge: Trace
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Gunvolt, Copen
Bit.Trip
: CommanderVideo
Bloodstained: Miriam
Cave Story: Quote, Curly Brace
Dead Cells: The Prisoner
Dust: An Elysian Tail: Dust
Freedom Planet: Lilac, Carol, Milla, Neera Li,
Guacamelee!: Juan, Tostada
A Hat in Time: Hat Kid
Hollow Knight: Hollow Knight
Hyper Light Drifter: Drifter
Iconoclasts: Robin
Indivisible: Ajna
The Messenger: The Messenger
Mighty Switch Force: Patricia Wagon
Mutant Mudds: Max
Noitu Love: Devolution: Xoda Rap, Rilo Doppelori
Rivals of Aether: Orcane, Zetterburn, Wrastor, Kragg
Shantae: Shantae, Risky Boots, Rottytops, Sky, Bolo
Shovel Knight: Shovel Knight, Plague Knight, Specter Knight, King Knight,
Steamworld Dig: Rusty
Undertale: Frisk, Sans

Undecided:
Madeline (Celeste), Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer),
This! We need a indie Smash clone with a roster like this.

They probably threw in the towel.
Begin NDA Speculation: Part 2,764,983

Me too. It's annoying and the sad truth we have to go through that through ever speculation cycle whether we like it or not.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Until the Fighters Pass is over, I will always picture this scenario for character reveal choices to join Smash Ultimate. For the people that thought they were right on speculation vs ones that were waiting and hoping to the end without dwindling.

Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for tonight.
Artist: Scanline Cat
D5S2xnEU8AAlLMX.jpeg

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
It reminds me of Double Dragon.
Funny you should say that... 'cuz the Kunio series was what entirely spawned the Double Dragon series with Renegade.

A long time ago, and I'm sure it was just a rumor, but I heard that it was quite literally impossible for WayForward to do a 3D Shantae game due to the fact that modeling her from a 3D perspective would be impossible. While this may be true if you'd do it like a 3D platformer due to her long hair, I wonder how many people would be opposed to a more top-down style? Master Blaster Zero on 3DS had Shantae at a top-down perspective and she looked plenty okay, but at the same time would it really be bearable to do platforming like that?

Victor7305

Smash Rookie
Awe man, now she's a spirit. Though many may think that this doesnt disqualify her, it actually might since none of the spirits besides the fighter spirits that you get from classic mode, are made to be any of the characters on the roster or DLC so far (for example, instead of nipper plant's level up transforming him into piranha plant, it turns him into Petey Piranha).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Piranha Plant is an outlier from other planned DLC characters, so I don't think he's the best example to use...Seriously, the guy only came with a fighter spirit.

Something to stir up from PushDustin. Sounds interesting, but have a tinfoil hat ready in case.
Still beats "I saw thing related to Minecraft for what's obviously a Microsoft department, Steve confirmed!".

Also, luckily Patrica's getting a collection it seems.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._mighty_switch_force_collection_is_on_the_way

zferolie

Smash Hero
This tie to shantae or something else?

Also, New bloodstained trailer, with a release date!

Wayforward works fast! And how they open showing people's complaints about the look, and then fixes everything. Thats some dedication from IGA and the rest working on it. I wonder how much Wayforward did on the graphics improving

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master

Wayforward works fast! And how they open showing people's complaints about the look, and then fixes everything. Thats some dedication from IGA and the rest working on it. I wonder how much Wayforward did on the graphics improving
Screenshot_20190501-183816_Video Player.jpg

Damn, that looks a whole lot better then the demo at PAX. Guess they did that to see what needed to be fixed before making the final adjustments.

Edit: who knows, it could be for anyone. Its unpredictable with what nintendo has chosen to join Smash Ultimate

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Piranha Plant is an outlier from other planned DLC characters, so I don't think he's the best example to use...Seriously, the guy only came with a fighter spirit.

Still beats "I saw thing related to Minecraft for what's obviously a Microsoft department, Steve confirmed!".

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._mighty_switch_force_collection_is_on_the_way
Sheesh, Wayforward's getting a lot done in 2019.

Until we see the staff credits, we won't know what exactly they needed Wayforward's help with, could be as simple as additional manpower in general.

D

Deleted member

This is just messed up. steve at 100%? wut? If he think’s block man’s coming then why are there insider’s from Microsoft saying banjo’s in but steve isn’t?
Sakurai: “I wonder if I’ll ever get to take a break”
*proceeds to work on :ultjoker: and 2 more fighters after launch*
This guy needs a vacation but he refuses to listen to us.

Finally. now I can make some switch jokes with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sheesh, Wayforward's getting a lot done in 2019.

Until we see the staff credits, we won't know what exactly they needed Wayforward's help with, could be as simple as additional manpower in general.
Speaking of people getting a lot done in 2019...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...erent_to_past_titles_says_platinumgames_inaba

Platinum's urges of becoming indie are getting stronger and stronger.

Sakurai: “I wonder if I’ll ever get to take a break”
*proceeds to work on :ultjoker: and 2 more fighters after launch*
This guy needs a vacation but he refuses to listen to us.
Japanese creators overwork, as they are wont to. Just ask any Eiichiro Oda and Yoshihiro Togashi fans. Besides, he's enjoying it right now anyways, so let him have his fun.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I love this art, lol (also, sorry if this was posted here already):

It's probably far from the first picture of Shantae on a Gameboy, but it is likely the highest-quality one.

Maybe one of these days Wayforward will sneak in her classic sprite as an easter egg/gag, Mario RPG style.

Top Bottom