• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Apparently one of GameXplain's videos states Nintendo were the ones to approach WayForward for Shantae.
Wait now, Nintendo approached Wayforward for what? DO you mean they approached them for Shantae 5, or they approached them to have her as a spirit?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure any third-party that gets in Smash is something Nintendo or Sakurai wanted; I don't know of a case where the third-party came to them.

Maybe other things could be discussed or suggested in negotiations, but for those negotiations to start, I think it's from Sakurai wanting them.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm pretty sure any third-party that gets in Smash is something Nintendo or Sakurai wanted; I don't know of a case where the third-party came to them.

Maybe other things could be discussed or suggested in negotiations, but for those negotiations to start, I think it's from Sakurai wanting them.
Hideo Kojima approached Sakurai to try and put Snake in Melee, but it was too late in development for that game so it happened for Brawl. And it wasn't for promotional reasons, but because his kid wanted to see Snake playable in Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hideo Kojima approached Sakurai to try and put Snake in Melee, but it was too late in development for that game so it happened for Brawl. And it wasn't for promotional reasons, but because his kid wanted to see Snake playable in Smash.
I forgot about that; I know they were friends, so idk. I guess other companies could approach Sakurai or Nintendo and ask, though, but they usually act like Nintendo has to come to them. I don't think anything is added solely for promotion (not even Corrin, as Sakurai wasn't going to add them until he was convinced they'd be unique and fun to play), just Nintendo and Sakurai thinking some characters would be good ideas.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I forgot about that; I know they were friends, so idk. I guess other companies could approach Sakurai or Nintendo and ask, though, but they usually act like Nintendo has to come to them. I don't think anything is added solely for promotion (not even Corrin, as Sakurai wasn't going to add them until he was convinced they'd be unique and fun to play), just Nintendo and Sakurai thinking some characters would be good ideas.
It's mostly a matter of convenience to let Nintendo come to you. Otherwise there's no guarantee you'll get to them in time for your request to get in the game at all.

Dukefire

Smash Master
How every character is selected for smash to me has to have two factors weighing their chances on getting in.

1. The timing
2. Both companies agreeing on Smash (which of course a lot of game characters are wanting to have a piece of the action and recognition of the game origin. Gaining more fame like the Mother series and Fire Emblem.)

Also, here is a shantae artwork.

Artist: Zummeng
Dancing_Through_Danger_by_Zummeng.png

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
SO, not that anyone really doubted it, but that image BestBuy showed of Joker was real because it's on the Smash website now. In addition to that, it says 3.0 will be available tomorrow. What?! Why are they shadow announcing all of this? It really makes me wonder if there was supposed to be a direct that just never happened.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well joker looks a ton of fun. No Pony Tail Jane it seems though.

I like his play style. That persona strengthening his moves is cool, and the stage that changes to the music!

So, it seems we won't know the 2nd DLC fighter till E3, and they will probably launch with E3.

Has anyone seen if he got added to the banner? EDIT: Derp, I only saw the trailer only, not the full 15 minute direct

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The banner WILL get DLC characters added. That means that shantae too can be on the spotlight if she gets in.
Screenshot_20190416-210312_YouTube.jpg

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Joker, Door-kun, and Yu NarukaMii

A lot of people didn't want Mementos, but I love what they did with it tbh. Color based on tracks from each game was something I definitely did not see coming.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Stage builder actually looks legit this time. I can't wait to see some of the stages people make

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let's watch carefully what happens with Persona 5 Royal next week. If that teased female character doesn't enter Smash in any way, then that whole Jane datamine is either a total red herring, or it was actually for a completely unrelated character... of which all we know has "ponytail physics".

Maybe I can share the Risky Miis I made too.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Let's watch carefully what happens with Persona 5 Royal next week. If that teased female character doesn't enter Smash in any way, then that whole Jane datamine is either a total red herring, or it was actually for a completely unrelated character... of which all we know has "ponytail physics".

Maybe I can share the Risky Miis I made too.
Is that datmine still legit?

Also this Jane thing cant even be Joker alt since we already have ALL his alts and unless he just gets special "more han 8 alts" which in Ultimate so far is not a thing for anyone.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Is that datmine still legit?

Also this Jane thing cant even be Joker alt since we already have ALL his alts and unless he just gets special "more han 8 alts" which in Ultimate so far is not a thing for anyone.
I said it in the Joker thread, but perhaps for base game they decided to have it be 8 alts across the board while making plans for extra DLC costumes down the line.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I said it in the Joker thread, but perhaps for base game they decided to have it be 8 alts across the board while making plans for extra DLC costumes down the line.
I think its possible for DLC costumes but does anything in the data support that? like spots where they can fit?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Stage builder actually looks legit this time. I can't wait to see some of the stages people make
Yeah, stage builder has so much freedom this time. and being able to browse and download creations from other players is amazing. Can't wait to see the kind of stuff clever fans can make.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think its possible for DLC costumes but does anything in the data support that? like spots where they can fit?
I am not entirely sure, but it was pointed out in the Joker thread that the Jane alt is where the uniform alt is, so some are suspecting that a switch was made.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We also learned how DLC spirits are handled. First off it's a relief to know that add-on series can get them, but they also get their own separate DLC board to avoid conflict with the main game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
We also learned how DLC spirits are handled. First off it's a relief to know that add-on series can get them, but they also get their own separate DLC board to avoid conflict with the main game.
It does seem to hurt series that have a ton of spirit's already, but luckily Shantae only has two, one of which being the would be fighter herself.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, stage builder has so much freedom this time. and being able to browse and download creations from other players is amazing. Can't wait to see the kind of stuff clever fans can make.
Yeah while I am ok and creating i would rather see what others can make haha. I will try to make a Touhou stage....

I am not entirely sure, but it was pointed out in the Joker thread that the Jane alt is where the uniform alt is, so some are suspecting that a switch was made.
i would like to see if they do that.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
does this lower her chances though? maybe....perhaps those spirits would be moved to the DLC board?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It does seem to hurt series that have a ton of spirit's already, but luckily Shantae only has two, one of which being the would be fighter herself.
And the three extra costumes from Half-Genie Hero. It's mostly Risky that I wonder how they'll handle; I guess it'll all depend on whether she gets notable changes in Shantae 5.

Yeah while I am ok and creating i would rather see what others can make haha. I will try to make a Touhou stage....
Given the artistic angle custom stages are going for, maybe someone can try making Shantae's lighthouse...

zferolie

Smash Hero
does this lower her chances though? maybe....perhaps those spirits would be moved to the DLC board?
Doubt they would move them. its hard to say till we see a fighter that already has spirits...

And the three extra costumes from Half-Genie Hero. It's mostly Risky that I wonder how they'll handle; I guess it'll all depend on whether she gets notable changes in Shantae 5.

Given the artistic angle custom stages are going for, maybe someone can try making Shantae's lighthouse...
Yeah that would be cool too

wimbearn

Smash Apprentice
Just watched it! I loved Joker's final smash, especially after it finishes, it switches to a 2D artstyle. We need more room for Shantae..... :)

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I'm late to the party, but Joker's looking good (coming from someone who doesn't care about Personal at all).

Also may I just give my condolences to the Tails fans.

Top Bottom