• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I've been good, better actually! I hope you've been doing good too?
Been out of the speculation of smash quite a bit though, but occasionally checked up on the topic. Glad to see this place is staying active!
I guess the announcement of Shantae 5 gave you guys more fuel for conversation and speculation :p
Hope to see more of that soon, I'm super curious.
Yeah, I've been doing okay!

zferolie

Smash Hero
man this absolutly no news is getting annoying. Why haven't we heard anything about 3.0 and joker yet? And the next fighter too. I know fighting games like to surprise but still, I am getting tired of all these rumors flying around and just want some actual answers.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I know its ridiculous but I came across a leak with Erdrick that also has Shantae in it, the first one I've ever seen that has the rumored Erdrick AND Shantae, oooh I hope E3 reveals her.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know its ridiculous but I came across a leak with Erdrick that also has Shantae in it, the first one I've ever seen that has the rumored Erdrick AND Shantae, oooh I hope E3 reveals her.
And what leak is this? And Erdrick still isn't set in stone its just everyone is expecting a DQ character

Dukefire

Smash Master
There was a rumor supposely saying there will be a direct coming on April 11.

I say it will appear either on the 3rd or 4th week on April.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
And what leak is this? And Erdrick still isn't set in stone its just everyone is expecting a DQ character
Here's the First Fighter Pass Characters:
Joker (from Persona 5) (Already announced at Game Awards 2018)
Erdrick (from Dragon Quest 3) (announced at Smash Direct April 2019)
Banjo (announced at E3 2019)
Shantae (announced at E3 2019)
Chun-Li (announced at EVO 2019)

Next, Alternate Costume:
8-Bit Luigi (Luigi)
Mr. L (Luigi)
Wedding Peach (Princess Peach)
Wedding Bowser (Bowser)
Dry Bowser (Bowser)
Pajama Ness (Ness)
Riders Sonic (Sonic)
Maskless Meta Knight (Meta Knight)
Ms Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Jane (Joker)

zferolie

Smash Hero
There was a rumor supposely saying there will be a direct coming on April 11.

I say it will appear either on the 3rd or 4th week on April.
Been hearing that rumor for awhile now.

Next, Alternate Costume:
8-Bit Luigi (Luigi)
Mr. L (Luigi)
Wedding Bowser (Bowser)
Dry Bowser (Bowser)
Pajama Ness (Ness)
Riders Sonic (Sonic)
Ms Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Jane (Joker)
I think alt costumes will come for sure. That release timeline seems.... odd to me. The last fighter is supposed to be released next year, so why show it off over 6 months out? Plus, while i like Chun-Li, I think they would pick a different fighting game character to represent another series?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Guess the waiting period is now starting to lose itself with patience slowly diminishing away.

Still, try to find something comfortable to keep waiting it out.
1ae6s4w2761wi.gif

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Been hearing that rumor for awhile now.

I think alt costumes will come for sure. That release timeline seems.... odd to me. The last fighter is supposed to be released next year, so why show it off over 6 months out? Plus, while i like Chun-Li, I think they would pick a different fighting game character to represent another series?
Maybe February is a "at latest speculated date?"

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Next, Alternate Costume:
8-Bit Luigi (Luigi)
Mr. L (Luigi)
Wedding Bowser (Bowser)
Dry Bowser (Bowser)
Pajama Ness (Ness)
Riders Sonic (Sonic)
Ms Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Jane (Joker)
I would actually be so fine with that if the leak is true. I'm personally not that jazzed over Joker and Erdrick only slightly interests me, but the last three would be great. Tho i still don't see Street Fighter getting 3 reps, I mean that would give them the same numbers as the DKC, Kirby and Starfox franchises.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Don't look now, but something taboo was said in the Banjo thread.
I just saw. Meh. They do have valid points, but let's not forget that putting Shantae in Smash would be the decision of one man only, not just a matter of numbers and sells. The guy puts whatever he wants in his game.
Besides, no one expected her to make it in the game at all in the first place.
I still hold hope for our girl, although it could sound delusional for some... ^_^

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can you clarify?....I hate vague stuff like this since theres a TON of stuff that without context could be considered "taboo"
Well, someone there said that there's no feasible scenario in which Shantae was or would be feasible in Smash.

Although this kind of talk isn't uncommonplace, seeing how the Joker fans were straight up told in their thread he'd be a never-ever, but still, it hurts to read.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Can you just link it please? I dont like having to wade through several pages for one specific quotel....Im on my day off

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now, I don't mean to offend, it is understandable to say that you doubt a character's chances and explain why, but saying they'll never get in is just tempting fate.

That's like assuming their likelihood is as nonexistent as Xoda Rap's or even the miner from Crystal Caves.

Anyway, pic of da day.

D3FBwgCXgAAbFNc.jpg

Drawer on Twitter is unsure if Rotty will be in the game, but drew her anyway. I think she'll make it just fine.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
shantae is far from a niche character. Those others listed get more headlines as they are newer ones and won awards, but they all have 1 game only behind their belt. Sakurai isn't going to put a 1 game wonder into smash from a third party character.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So excited! Just got word from Limited Run Games that my collectors edition of Pirates Curse has shipped!

As for what over person might have said in another support thread, it doesn't really matter what one person's opinion is. An official statement from someone in the business might means something but just one person who isn't a fan of the character isn't something to think much about.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So excited! Just got word from Limited Run Games that my collectors edition of Pirates Curse has shipped!

As for what over person might have said in another support thread, it doesn't really matter what one person's opinion is. An official statement from someone in the business might means something but just one person who isn't a fan of the character isn't something to think much about.
SAME! I bought one standard copy as a christmas gift for my best friend and it got to him I think in March. Sheesh these collector's edition took their time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
shantae is far from a niche character. Those others listed get more headlines as they are newer ones and won awards, but they all have 1 game only behind their belt. Sakurai isn't going to put a 1 game wonder into smash from a third party character.
Springboarding from this to analyze the third parties we have right now, and to further address the "anti-western" bias raised a while back.

First of all, first parties don't hold much weight in these kinds of arguments because a) they're easier to include and b) Nintendo characters are still the main focus of Smash. Trying to suggest anything more than relative popularity from them is just silly.

• Metal Gear is a case of the developer being the first to take initiative and ask for their character in. Beyond that it still has a fair amount of history on Nintendo platforms.
  • Sonic The Hedgehog directly competed with Nintendo for a long time and was the first to put a dent in Nintendo's success. Interestingly, most of the decisions made in his marketing and conception came from an American, often in defiance of Sega of Japan.
  • Mega Man is an icon of the NES and continued to release on Nintendo platforms for a long time.
  • Pac-Man is hugely recognizable and famous to the point of even non-gamers knowing him well.
  • Street Fighter is a pillar of the 16-bit era, especially on the Super Nintendo, and it's telling with how Street Fighter II focused Smash representation is.
  • Cloud, Bayonetta and soon-to-be Joker are more of outliers in Nintendo relevance, but have made names for themselves nonetheless.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Springboarding from this to analyze the third parties we have right now, and to further address the "anti-western" bias raised a while back.

First of all, first parties don't hold much weight in these kinds of arguments because a) they're easier to include and b) Nintendo characters are still the main focus of Smash. Trying to suggest anything more than relative popularity from them is just silly.

• Metal Gear is a case of the developer being the first to take initiative and ask for their character in. Beyond that it still has a fair amount of history on Nintendo platforms.
  • Sonic The Hedgehog directly competed with Nintendo for a long time and was the first to put a dent in Nintendo's success. Interestingly, most of the decisions made in his marketing and conception came from an American, often in defiance of Sega of Japan.
  • Mega Man is an icon of the NES and continued to release on Nintendo platforms for a long time.
  • Pac-Man is hugely recognizable and famous to the point of even non-gamers knowing him well.
  • Street Fighter is a pillar of the 16-bit era, especially on the Super Nintendo, and it's telling with how Street Fighter II focused Smash representation is.
  • Cloud, Bayonetta and soon-to-be Joker are more of outliers in Nintendo relevance, but have made names for themselves nonetheless.
yeah popularity is not everything, importantance, as well as history matter

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
yeah popularity is not everything, importantance, as well as history matter
Which our girl has in spades! (Well history more than importance, but importance is still there, and relevancy with her new game coming later this year)

SAME! I bought one standard copy as a christmas gift for my best friend and it got to him I think in March. Sheesh these collector's edition took their time.
They needed all the extra time to collect all the edition to put in it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For the second spot for the fighters pass after Joker, who do you think might appear next? (Lets keep Shantae off for now as a possibility she might be in smash at E3 with her upcoming game coming this year. Who knows.)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For the second spot for the fighters pass after Joker, who do you think might appear next? (Lets keep Shantae off for now as a possibility she might be in smash at E3 with her upcoming game coming this year. Who knows.)
Monster Hunter, because Rathalos as a boss in Piranha Plant's newcomer focused Classic run feels very suspicious to me.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Erdrick, Slime, Agnes, Frisk, Monster Hunter,

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Time for something different, a series of sketches were posted on Twitter by Fillippo Facchetti, but only one of them seems to have been drawn by him, and there's a specific reason why:

My daughter (7yo) loves Shantae. I told her about #Shantae5 and she is gone wild.
D3AuGrMX4AAcSON.jpg

we beat the last game 100/100 together.
D3AuXsNWoAIwqXx.jpg

This Is from me. I'm looking forward to your next game (on Nintendo Switch, please ;)
D3AuvwvXQAALhKE.jpg

It's nice to see this series unite more than just fans, but families as well. :)

Not the character anyone thinks of.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Dukefire

Smash Master
She sure has grown a lot for the people to accept since her humble beginnings on the GBC's near ending lifespan. At this point, if she is in smash or not, I'm happy where she is.

Top Bottom