• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Except Link was created by Shigeru Miyamoto himself so Japan unlike anywhere else it seems nowadays tend to respect a creator's work. Keep Link as male and created NEW female characters for the series as they have so far done. Leave the SJW nonsense out of Nintendo.

EDIT: If you all wouldn't want SHANTAE to be made a BOY(which would go against her creators wishes IF you guys remember the story behind it) then you should not expect the same from Link. End of Story.
Things are a bit different when the character goes through different iterations like Link does. With Shantae, you only have the one character. With Link, we have already had about a dozen Link's, some of which are rather diffrent from each other.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Nintendo will not gender bent their characters. That is something from a fanart of deviantart would do lol. People keep forgetting WHY Link is a Male protagonist in the first place.
And what reason is that?
^
Each "Link" is a different person. Hyrule Warriors itself has four different Links, one of whom happens to be a girl.

Except Link was created by Shigeru Miyamoto himself so Japan unlike anywhere else it seems nowadays tend to respect a creator's work. Keep Link as male and created NEW female characters for the series as they have so far done. Leave the SJW nonsense out of Nintendo.

EDIT: If you all wouldn't want SHANTAE to be made a BOY(which would go against her creators wishes IF you guys remember the story behind it) then you should not expect the same from Link. End of Story.
Apples and Oranges. Shantae is a single character all her own. Every Link is different and are meant to be player-insert avatar characters.

Think about this: Why do so many people want a female Link option but not a female Mario option? There's a reason.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
^
Each "Link" is a different person. Hyrule Warriors itself has four different Links, one of whom happens to be a girl.

Apples and Oranges. Shantae is a single character all her own. Every Link is different and are meant to be player-insert avatar characters.

Think about this: Why do so many people want a female Link option but not a female Mario option? There's a reason.
Well, BOTW Link muddies it a bit since he has more of a defined personality beyond heroics. All the mission descriptions are written from his perspective in japanese versions of the game.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524

SJW Nonsense? Oh Lord.....it's one of those arguments isn't it?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Well, BOTW Link muddies it a bit since he has more of a defined personality beyond heroics. All the mission descriptions are written from his perspective in japanese versions of the game.
BotW Link is the one exception to this rule in the mainline series. Not only does he have some actual character, he can't be named. This was probably only so they could have voice acting without needing to work around the name, but what's done is done.

If they go forward with this style for future Links in future Zelda games, I wouldn't push for a female option. But if they go back to the blank slate avatar Link, I will.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But that does stress the Links being there own characters not tied to the previous iterations.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
OK, I'm just gonna put this out there: Linkle is not a Link. Her timeline already has it's link so she must be something else right? I put it to you that Linkle is not related to the hero but another recurring from the Zelda time line: Tingle!

First lets examine a few things about her design. Yes, she wears green like the hero, but in no way like the traditional tunic and cap, what she does wear is a green hood and orange bottoms, not too unlike Tingle with his hooded leotard and red shorts.

Then let's look at her weapon of choice. Now you would be hard pressed to associate a weapon with Tingle (aside from perhaps bombs if you had the gba adapter) But I would say that the weapon you would most connect Tingle with would be the bow since it's the weapon you would always use when you wanted to talk to Tingle in his game of origin. And Linkle uses a form of bow as her default weapon (with bomb arrows thrown in just to reference the bombs mentioned earlier)

Then, let's consider her "heirloom" the compass. She is sure it belonged to the hero. Which it could have, but it could just as well have belonged to someone who, as a maker of maps, would need a compass. Further she wears it around her neck Just as Tingle always wears his clock.

Now the name. In both English and Japanese, Linkle's name follows the same naming convention of Tingle and his brothers. a family Tradition perhaps?

And lastly their character, or at least one driving character trait: Delusion/obsession with the hero. In all the games he appears, Tingle is obsessed with the hero, instantly insisting on being best friends with them upon meeting. Further in all his appearances, Tingle is sure that he isn't just some normal guy but he must be a reincarnated fairy. This parallels far too well with Linkle's obsession with legends of the hero and insisting that she has to be the hero reincarnated.

Even tho she was first conceived as a female counterpart to Link, I think when fully developing the character they decided to go another way. What if the obsession for the hero was passed down through the Tingle family until one generation a descendant decided that they them self must e the hero? I just hope for her sake she never fully learns her real origins in the Zelda universe.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Things are a bit different when the character goes through different iterations like Link does. With Shantae, you only have the one character. With Link, we have already had about a dozen Link's, some of which are rather diffrent from each other.
All iterations are males. Remember Link is based not only on Shigeru Miyamoto himself during his time as a child but also Peter Pan who I think is also a male character.

Like seriously people respect other characters like you want others to respect Shantae. Link as a name was establish since game TWO(The Adventures of Link). Basically the self insert aspect of Link is that you become Link's "soul" in a way. The body is still a boy/man and that is all.

EDIT: Now let's go back to talk about our favorite Half Genie Hero, SHANTAE as we celebrate her getting a FIFTH GAME!!!!!!

Fan artwork using her new style:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know this is not Shantae related, but I am curious to see how many of you have heard about this.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

It's making some great fan art.
Care to share some of that fanart?

And I think its possible we can get a game where link is a girl. Every link is a different link, there is no where that says it HAS to be a male reincarnation. It just has been due to the status quo of the games. With nintendo seeing how popular Linkle is, and how much people were excited for a female Link when that first Breath of the wild trail dropped and people thought it was a girl, and how popular cross dressing link is, plus all the female link cosplayers, and now the buzz on that old article? I think nintendo will be more open for it.

I would love a new zelda with a male or female protag, but a female protag would be new and exciting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Predicting, when do you think the Next direct might appear for april?
Though there is no guarantee that the next newcomer might show up after Joker's arrival coming this month.
Next week, at the earliest. We got a spirit event within a couple days, so I imagine that that would be in the way.

I think that’s avaliable on t shirts!
Maybe, though I don't think I ever saw it on Teepublic.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While this is getting weird, here are images from someone that did put in from Pirate's Curse on the people that plays the game
1b0eggv3vaz42.jpg
1b0eggwi5kcrm.jpg
1b0eggvxyt5uq.jpg
1b0eggvrc094i.jpg
1b0eggv56bqgi.jpg

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
OK, I'm just gonna put this out there: Linkle is not a Link. Her timeline already has it's link so she must be something else right? I put it to you that Linkle is not related to the hero but another recurring from the Zelda time line: Tingle!

First lets examine a few things about her design. Yes, she wears green like the hero, but in no way like the traditional tunic and cap, what she does wear is a green hood and orange bottoms, not too unlike Tingle with his hooded leotard and red shorts.

Then let's look at her weapon of choice. Now you would be hard pressed to associate a weapon with Tingle (aside from perhaps bombs if you had the gba adapter) But I would say that the weapon you would most connect Tingle with would be the bow since it's the weapon you would always use when you wanted to talk to Tingle in his game of origin. And Linkle uses a form of bow as her default weapon (with bomb arrows thrown in just to reference the bombs mentioned earlier)

Then, let's consider her "heirloom" the compass. She is sure it belonged to the hero. Which it could have, but it could just as well have belonged to someone who, as a maker of maps, would need a compass. Further she wears it around her neck Just as Tingle always wears his clock.

Now the name. In both English and Japanese, Linkle's name follows the same naming convention of Tingle and his brothers. a family Tradition perhaps?

And lastly their character, or at least one driving character trait: Delusion/obsession with the hero. In all the games he appears, Tingle is obsessed with the hero, instantly insisting on being best friends with them upon meeting. Further in all his appearances, Tingle is sure that he isn't just some normal guy but he must be a reincarnated fairy. This parallels far too well with Linkle's obsession with legends of the hero and insisting that she has to be the hero reincarnated.

Even tho she was first conceived as a female counterpart to Link, I think when fully developing the character they decided to go another way. What if the obsession for the hero was passed down through the Tingle family until one generation a descendant decided that they them self must e the hero? I just hope for her sake she never fully learns her real origins in the Zelda universe.
I hope this isn't true, because if she found out she was not the reincarnation of the Hero of Legend, but in fact just an ancestor of a strange, paunchy man, who dressed up in a silly green outfit, as he thought we was the reincarnation of a fairy, she would be quite upset.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I hope this isn't true, because if she found out she was not the reincarnation of the Hero of Legend, but in fact just an ancestor of a strange, paunchy man, who dressed up in a silly green outfit, as he thought we was the reincarnation of a fairy, she would be quite upset.
It's ok, just like Tingle will never be convinced he isn't a fairy, Linkle will also never realize she isn't the hero of legend.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

And I think its possible we can get a game where link is a girl. Every link is a different link, there is no where that says it HAS to be a male reincarnation. It just has been due to the status quo of the games. With nintendo seeing how popular Linkle is, and how much people were excited for a female Link when that first Breath of the wild trail dropped and people thought it was a girl, and how popular cross dressing link is, plus all the female link cosplayers, and now the buzz on that old article? I think nintendo will be more open for it.

I would love a new zelda with a male or female protag, but a female protag would be new and exciting.
Here is an art piece I found.

And I definitely think Nintendo has noticed all of the buzz the idea of a female Link has caused.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Linkle is affected by the "VS Legend" attribute with all the other Links, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Tingle is "VS Time."

They made all these other aspects of her character to differentiate her from the game's "main" Link, but the game and story still consider her another Link.

All iterations are males. Remember Link is based not only on Shigeru Miyamoto himself during his time as a child but also Peter Pan who I think is also a male character.

Like seriously people respect other characters like you want others to respect Shantae. Link as a name was establish since game TWO(The Adventures of Link). Basically the self insert aspect of Link is that you become Link's "soul" in a way. The body is still a boy/man and that is all.
This is a complete deflection. There is no disrespect going on. People simply want a character meant to be "you" to be closer to their actual self. Link's design is based on Peter Pan, yes, but that doesn't mean the character needs to be strictly male every time. And the gameplay was inspired by Miyamoto's childhood, not the character.

Look at Pokemon. It's not much different. For the first two gens (pre-Crystal), the player was only male, was silent, and could be named by the player despite having a general default name. But they eventually gave a gender choice. Sure, all Links have a more similar appearance than Pokemon trainers, but they're all still different people.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Linkle is affected by the "VS Legend" attribute with all the other Links, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Tingle is "VS Time."

They made all these other aspects of her character to differentiate her from the game's "main" Link, but the game and story still consider her another Link.

This is a complete deflection. There is no disrespect going on. People simply want a character meant to be "you" to be closer to their actual self. Link's design is based on Peter Pan, yes, but that doesn't mean the character needs to be strictly male every time. And the gameplay was inspired by Miyamoto's childhood, not the character.

Look at Pokemon. It's not much different. For the first two gens (pre-Crystal), the player was only male, was silent, and could be named by the player despite having a general default name. But they eventually gave a gender choice. Sure, all Links have a more similar appearance than Pokemon trainers, but they're all still different people.
Except she isn't another Link. She is from the same time period/universe as Warriors Link. In that universe it is acknowledged many times that warriors Link is the hero of his age. Cia sees him as the reincarnation and Fi acknowledges that he is not "the" master (as in Link from SS) but "a" master.

When Fi meets Linkle no mention of a connection is brought up from her. She doesn't say anything like "I am picking up familiar readings from you" Or "You are quite different from my other masters" Fi doesn't react in any special way to Linkle.

Sure, she might not be connected to Tingle, but you can't argue that her belief that she is the hero incarnate is factual when the game shows that it isn't. Her inspiration came from gender-swapping Link, but her full character developed past that and made her something separate from the hero.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mainly, I want to know if the next game is either episodic or LORE. That would give me an idea of whether we'll be in it for the long haul ala One Piece.
Why not both? The end of Half-Genie Hero raised a lot of potential plot points that don't necessarily relate but can still present interesting scenarios. The zombie road trip idea in particular could make for a nice alternative way to start the game instead of defending Scuttle Town for the fifth time.

For something that can serve in both gameplay and story I'd like to see dark magic and the true extent of the Pirate Master's actions explored more fully. It just seems like the logical next step to up Shantae's game beyond extra transformations (or moves for them) and human moves/spells. Finally, just streamline using transformations to explore to be closer to Pirate Gear in functionality.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Now let's go back to talk about our favorite Half Genie Hero, SHANTAE as we celebrate her getting a FIFTH GAME!!!!!

Nintendo will not and never will allow Link to become female. Link is once again based on both Mr. Miyamoto himself adventures as a kid and Peter Pan. Both male and both not girls. You want female characters? Then look elsewhere because there are plenty of them.

EDIT: Link is not "supposed to be you" YOU are supposed to be LINK. That is what the term ROLE PLAY means. You play as Link as you can play as Mario or you can play as Bayonetta or play as Dante or play as any ESTABLISHED video game characters. Nintendo is a very conservative company and they will never change a characters gender just because of fan demand. At best they will give us another character but at best as a side game.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Now let's go back to talk about our favorite Half Genie Hero, SHANTAE as we celebrate her getting a FIFTH GAME!!!!!

Nintendo will not and never will allow Link to become female. Link is once again based on both Mr. Miyamoto himself adventures as a kid and Peter Pan. Both male and both not girls. You want female characters? Then look elsewhere because there are plenty of them.
Practice what you preach.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Let’s not tempt fate now, folks. Did we talk about what we want out of Shantae 5? I want to hear more stuff like that.
NahthisisaLinkthreadnowmahboi
-----------

I'd honestly just like Tuki to have a role again. I'm not anticipating anything else.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
NahthisisaLinkthreadnowmahboi
-----------

I'd honestly just like Tuki to have a role again. I'm not anticipating anything else.
Oh she most definitely will. She was one of the most popular new characters from HGH. Wonder how she would change to fit a Metroidvania though.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Practice what you preach.
If this is about "Bowsette" situation then that really is on Nintendo since they themselves had that plan in both Odyssey and Super Crown power up. Plus the change to Bowsette would be at best a temporary power like Mario's Fireflower.

EDIT: So no matter at the end of the day, you can cry, complain, make as much petition to reach the freaking Majora's Moon but Nintendo will keep Link(The Hero Of Hyrule) as male character for now and always. Plus I don't need to practice what I preach since I do have a character that is adventures, hero, awesome and female. Can you guess? Her name is SHANTAE!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If this is about "Bowsette" situation then that really is on Nintendo since they themselves had that plan in both Odyssey and Super Crown power up. Plus the change to Bowsette would be at best a temporary power like Mario's Fireflower.
I have no clue what this has to do with Bowsette. What I am saying is that you started your post stressing that we should talk about Shantae, then you went back to the Link discussion in the same exact post.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Oh she most definitely will. She was one of the most popular new characters from HGH. Wonder how she would change to fit a Metroidvania though.
Maybe she'd be allowed into that Aladdin look-alike's shop to do her bussssinessss. Or have a shop of her own in randomly-placed pots, like usual.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder if Holly (who?) will appear again? She's quite a popular character too.
Well, they won't throw everything and the kitchen sink this time, so if they got her in mind they may have her stick around and give her more appropriate screentime.

Why not both? The end of Half-Genie Hero raised a lot of potential plot points that don't necessarily relate but can still present interesting scenarios. The zombie road trip idea in particular could make for a nice alternative way to start the game instead of defending Scuttle Town for the fifth time.

For something that can serve in both gameplay and story I'd like to see dark magic and the true extent of the Pirate Master's actions explored more fully. It just seems like the logical next step to up Shantae's game beyond extra transformations (or moves for them) and human moves/spells. Finally, just streamline using transformations to explore to be closer to Pirate Gear in functionality.
I honestly don't know how a road trip would work in a Metroidvania, unless a Mummy Demastered route gets taken.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I honestly don't know how a road trip would work in a Metroidvania, unless a Mummy Demastered route gets taken.
As we all know from the original, the Zombie Caravan is essentially a mobile hub town. Not only can it have all the usual amenities, but it can also function as a fast-travel, or at least the same way Risky's ship worked in Pirate's Curse. Then again they don't have to do any of this at all and it could just be used for the introductory segment.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So I came across a funny hyptohetical on the internet:

"The villain of the last game you've played is now DLC pack #2 for Ultimate. How do you react?"

Let's all just for the sake of discussion act as if a Shantae game was the last one we played...that means Risky and ONLY Risky gets in the Fighter Pass and NO Shantae.

dear god imagine the fanart of Risky taking schadenfreude glee at Shantae's confusion and despair.

zferolie

Smash Hero

EDIT: Link is not "supposed to be you" YOU are supposed to be LINK. That is what the term ROLE PLAY means. You play as Link as you can play as Mario or you can play as Bayonetta or play as Dante or play as any ESTABLISHED video game characters. Nintendo is a very conservative company and they will never change a characters gender just because of fan demand. At best they will give us another character but at best as a side game.
The game was based on Miyamoto playing in the woods, but he didn't base link on himself. Peter pan maybe, but they always said Link was a blank slate. I don't see why they couldn't have him be female 1 game. every link is a different link, not like Mario or samus. Just relax man, we are saying we would like to see it, but not going to get mad or angry if we don't

Top Bottom