• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I love how our avatars are all Reggie. Great job to whoever thought to do this.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
though it is a April Fools thing, was there any clues left behind to a REAL crossover? Last year was for Blaster Master Zero as an Ex Character Pilot.
Definitely not Sackboy, that guy's Sony only.

My hunch is, they're probably hinting that they'll be involved with Smash somehow, but make everyone assume that them announcing something like that is really just a joke to let everyone drop their guard. And they didn't outright say the name of the crossover in question.

...Maybe. I don't even know myself.

Also, isn't that a Shantae locale in the background?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
though it is a April Fools thing, was there any clues left behind to a REAL crossover? Last year was for Blaster Master Zero as an Ex Character Pilot.
There aren't really clues besides what they posted. So if there's anything it's probably like KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 said :p
Altho who knows, maybe they're trying to work with sony too.

Dukefire

Smash Master

My hunch is, they're probably hinting that they'll be involved with Smash, but make everyone assume that them announcing something like that is really just a joke to let everyone drop their guard.

...Maybe.
It could be anyone's guess as of now. Plus we are still in the day where jokes are common to appear, so save that talk for tomorrow.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Here's something to think about. They had the silhouettes tweet for a non april fool's day, and then they've posted those characters on april fool's, which would technically make that the joke ;)

Take that as you will ;p

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well at any rate I don't think they'll do more jokes today. Seriously, they really should have announced a Cat Girl Without Salad sequel instead...
we will see soon since now that WF has to split the workforce in half for Shantae 5 and for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night after it's impression at PAX.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

My hunch is, they're probably hinting that they'll be involved with Smash somehow, but make everyone assume that them announcing something like that is really just a joke to let everyone drop their guard. And they didn't outright say the name of the crossover in question.

...Maybe. I don't even know myself.

Also, isn't that a Shantae locale in the background?
Going by how it turned out last time, my money is on hinting at a Super Mario crossover, for reasons I've already discussed at length. Pac-Man doesn't have much of a concrete setting to work with unless it's Ghostly Adventures, nothing's happened with LittleBigPlanet in years and the most she'd get is a Sackboy skin anyway with creators making their own Shantae content (come to think of it, what are the chances of her getting a Mystery Costume in Mario Maker 2?), and Pokemon just doesn't mesh well with anything other than similar mon series like Digimon, Yokai Watch or even Monster Hunter to an extent, and even then they'd probably be limited to smaller spin-offs in the interest of fairness. Plus, what better way to follow up/top the Cadence Of Hyrule announcement for Nintendo than with a team-up between one of the biggest indies and their own biggest franchise?

This is a wonderful art piece.
Here's hoping Confident Shantae can stick around at least for a little while. More faith in her friends in general would be a good start.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Going by how it turned out last time, my money is on hinting at a Super Mario crossover, for reasons I've already discussed at length. Pac-Man doesn't have much of a concrete setting to work with unless it's Ghostly Adventures, nothing's happened with LittleBigPlanet in years and the most she'd get is a Sackboy skin anyway with creators making their own Shantae content (come to think of it, what are the chances of her getting a Mystery Costume in Mario Maker 2?), and Pokemon just doesn't mesh well with anything other than similar mon series like Digimon, Yokai Watch or even Monster Hunter to an extent, and even then they'd probably be limited to smaller spin-offs in the interest of fairness. Plus, what better way to follow up/top the Cadence Of Hyrule announcement for Nintendo than with a team-up between one of the biggest indies and their own biggest franchise?
Incidentally, I was thinking of this possibility myself after process of elimination. Bonus points if Wario characters get also involved in said crossover.

Edit: I thought about a crazy theory earlier. I know this has a 1% chance of happening, but...what if Shantae 5 is that hypothetical Mario crossover?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Incidentally, I was thinking of this possibility myself after process of elimination. Bonus points if Wario characters get also involved in said crossover.

Edit: I thought about a crazy theory earlier. I know this has a 1% chance of happening, but...what if Shantae 5 is that hypothetical Mario crossover?
That won't happen because Shantae 5 is showing up on all platforms. Tho they could always have a bunch of extras on the Switch version like costumes with added affects or amiibo functionality to go along with a Shantae amiibo similar to what Shovel Knight did.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That won't happen because Shantae 5 is showing up on all platforms. Tho they could always have a bunch of extras on the Switch version like costumes with added affects or amiibo functionality to go along with a Shantae amiibo similar to what Shovel Knight did.
I could see the Switch having an exclusive chapter or something. Besides, Switch versions of indie games sell the best from what I've noticed.

Another possibility is a separate crossover game showing up shortly after S5, though that's equally as low a chance unless there was advance planning saved for later (since, you know, Bloodstained is top priority). We have no idea what else WF has been planning behind the scenes.

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Would love to have a Shantae amiibo, it just sounds so cool and right at home ya know? Can always dream anyways.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, we know nothing on what WF is doing other then trying to finishing Bloodstained.

If we want more info on Shantae 5, E3 might be the place where her game will have a preview.

3229233-e31-920x518.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could see the Switch having an exclusive chapter or something. Besides, Switch versions of indie games sell the best from what I've noticed.

Another possibility is a separate crossover game showing up shortly after S5, though that's equally as low a chance unless there was advance planning saved for later (since, you know, Bloodstained is top priority). We have no idea what else WF has been planning behind the scenes.
Who says Wayforward has to be the one developing the crossover? Something like Paper Jam where the gameplay is fundamentally that of a Mario RPG game developed by Nintendo, that happens to also star the Shantae cast.

Though like others said, with Shantae 5 being multiplat we can't expect too much Nintendo content from it to keep other platforms from feeling like they're missing out. But if it's gonna be small stuff, why stop at one franchise? Look at those Nintendo costumes Bayonetta got in the Wii U releases. And given that Wayforward has just recently pulled similar gameplay-altering costumes in Half-Genie Hero...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What if Sackboy is IN Smash as DLC and WF has inside info? and used it as a double joke to screw with us all?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, that's up to WF to decide and we are going back normal tomorrow. Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for tonight.

Artist: FlintofMother3
Shantae_5_by_FlintofMother3.png

Teeb147

Smash Legend
back to normal feels good.
(nothing wrong with reggie tho)

and wow KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 actually has an avatar :O

Has WayForward been in announcements at e3 before? I'm just wondering what kinds of chances we could see shantae 5 there.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Has WayForward been in announcements at e3 before? I'm just wondering what kinds of chances we could see shantae 5 there.
Yeah they had HGH 2015/2016 trailers.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I will play this among many other celebratory tunes if Shantae gets revealed.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, not only anymore do I want Shantae just to finally have a character that I want playable in Smash actually playable in Smash for the first time ever, but now I would really like to see how much of an explosion of rage would occur in Hater Territory as well as vicious people like Thunder Productions get served.

I know the K. Rool & Ridley got a huge kick.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

What?! Impossible!

What's next, Wademan94 Wademan94 with an avatar which doesn't have any glasses in it?
Yup, finally got off my bum and decided to change it yesterday during the Reggiecon. Might as well, seeing as news should be happening soon (and it's still Kirby-related).

Well, that's up to WF to decide and we are going back normal tomorrow. Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for tonight.

Artist: FlintofMother3
View attachment 203776
Haven't checked his stuff in a while, but incredibly fitting, since he draws a different genie girl on a regular basis.

Who says Wayforward has to be the one developing the crossover? Something like Paper Jam where the gameplay is fundamentally that of a Mario RPG game developed by Nintendo, that happens to also star the Shantae cast.

Though like others said, with Shantae 5 being multiplat we can't expect too much Nintendo content from it to keep other platforms from feeling like they're missing out. But if it's gonna be small stuff, why stop at one franchise? Look at those Nintendo costumes Bayonetta got in the Wii U releases. And given that Wayforward has just recently pulled similar gameplay-altering costumes in Half-Genie Hero...
Well, Shantae as it is still only half-made by a Japanese company (at least two games prior to 5), with WF on the captain's seat. I imagine that WF would do it themselves so that their creative vision for Shantae is intact. We don't know what a Japanese company would do with the characters beyond the guest appearances we've had, so it's important that characterisation is maintained.

And this just gave me the thought of Shantae wearing Master Chief's costume.

What if Sackboy is IN Smash as DLC and WF has inside info? and used it as a double joke to screw with us all?
I have no idea how this even begins to make sense. Of all Sony mascots, why would anyone start with him?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So there is a teaser website up for Persona 5 S that shows the date of Thursday, April 25.

If this is Switch related does that mean we will be waiting that long for another Nintendo Direct or for the Joker release in Smash?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._with_yacht_club_games_didnt_happen_overnight

Further proof that YCG didn't actually do a doggone thing in regards to Cyber Shadow's development. Like any other part of the industry, indies do need negotiations in regards to working together.

So there is a teaser website up for Persona 5 S that shows the date of Thursday, April 25.

If this is Switch related does that mean we will be waiting that long for another Nintendo Direct or for the Joker release in Smash?
I think that will solely be related to Persona 5 dealings.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_info_to_come_but_is_it_related_to_switch

The website in question, p5s.jp, suggests that "one more information" will be revealed on 25th April, which just so happens to be the second day of a Persona Super Live Concert taking place in Tokyo.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Unfortunately, I think it could mean that. I'm prepared to wait, but it's gotten pretty long.

It's still possible for a direct to be earlier especially if in it sakurai says that there's important info at the end of the month. Could give a release date for joker. I know everyone would like to have him earlier in the month, and i would too, and i think that could be possible but my prediction is for him to release the 26th or 27th.

+Honestly, a direct would be a great way to hold us off a bit, with some info on him and 3.0.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Unfortunately, I think it could mean that. I'm prepared to wait, but it's gotten pretty long.

It's still possible for a direct to be earlier especially if in it sakurai says that there's important info at the end of the month. Could give a release date for joker. I know everyone would like to have him earlier in the month, and i would too, and i think that could be possible but my prediction is for him to release the 26th or 27th.

+Honestly, a direct would be a great way to hold us off a bit, with some info on him and 3.0.
We have been waiting for a while, so a update announcement in a direct is due to fill in the gap since the Game Awards and the small preview of Joker's model with the Spring Update 3.0

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yup, finally got off my bum and decided to change it yesterday during the Reggiecon. Might as well, seeing as news should be happening soon (and it's still Kirby-related).

Haven't checked his stuff in a while, but incredibly fitting, since he draws a different genie girl on a regular basis.

Well, Shantae as it is still only half-made by a Japanese company (at least two games prior to 5), with WF on the captain's seat. I imagine that WF would do it themselves so that their creative vision for Shantae is intact. We don't know what a Japanese company would do with the characters beyond the guest appearances we've had, so it's important that characterisation is maintained.

And this just gave me the thought of Shantae wearing Master Chief's costume.

I have no idea how this even begins to make sense. Of all Sony mascots, why would anyone start with him?
Wayforward basically has two genres under their belt: metroidvania and puzzle platformer. The Indivisible guest appearance might point to them wanting to try their hand at an RPG at some point, but that would probably be Shantae only first to experiment. Would they really put Mario in a genre he's surprisingly never touched before? Well, Wayforward could make a mean Mario vs. Donkey Kong in the classic style...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
WF reveals their big crossover:

I think they gave themselves more awkard outlines to work with as a challenge this time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wayforward basically has two genres under their belt: metroidvania and puzzle platformer. The Indivisible guest appearance might point to them wanting to try their hand at an RPG at some point, but that would probably be Shantae only first to experiment. Would they really put Mario in a genre he's surprisingly never touched before? Well, Wayforward could make a mean Mario vs. Donkey Kong in the classic style...
Honestly, I wouldn't mind, seeing as Mario Vs. DK wasn't as appealing to me once it went the Lemmings route.

I mean, let's face it, Mario can adapt to practically anything. No one ever thought he'd be in an X-Comesque strategy RPG with the Rabbids, yet here we are.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
SOmething I keep seeing being brought up that irritates the **** out of me regarding indie chances in Smash. To take a quote from a Gamefaqs user.

"For Indie however, that’s a tough one. I earnestly doubt Shantae or Reimu, and Shovel Knight’s disconfirmed (much to my dismay), so that would leave a few. I could see Quote, Madeleine, Cuphead, Jevil/Sans and maybe the character from Crypt of the NecroDancer (Since Cadence of Hyrule is Now a Thing, why not?) "

I hate how people think these honest to god one hit wonder, flash in the pans have a better chance than Shantae or Reimu because...they had one single game thats fairly recent like 5 or 10 years that was very well received critcally and commercially. Like apparently thats ENOUGH for a spot in Smash Bros. for a tiird party? Oh what Shantae and Reimu have actual 10+ years of history, and have an actual series of games under their belts, pfft no that doesnt matter Madeleine from one 2018 game has a better chance. It just shows a stunning lack of thought regarding the topic.

Dukefire

Smash Master
SOmething I keep seeing being brought up that irritates the **** out of me regarding indie chances in Smash. To take a quote from a Gamefaqs user.

"For Indie however, that’s a tough one. I earnestly doubt Shantae or Reimu, and Shovel Knight’s disconfirmed (much to my dismay), so that would leave a few. I could see Quote, Madeleine, Cuphead, Jevil/Sans and maybe the character from Crypt of the NecroDancer (Since Cadence of Hyrule is Now a Thing, why not?) "

I hate how people think these honest to god one hit wonder, flash in the pans have a better chance than Shantae or Reimu because...they had one single game thats fairly recent like 5 or 10 years that was very well received critcally and commercially. Like apparently thats ENOUGH for a spot in Smash Bros. for a tiird party? Oh what Shantae and Reimu have actual 10+ years of history, and have an actual series of games under their belts, pfft no that doesnt matter Madeleine from one 2018 game has a better chance. It just shows a stunning lack of thought regarding the topic.
some just talk for various reasons for:
1. Trolling
2. stating their opinion since Indie Characters has been flying around for a long while for smash and could be either tired or going the opposite after previous direct of smash news beforehand

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

On a side note, there's two indie characters with similar names now, so good luck supporting Madeline when Madelyn also exists.

Also, Gamefaqs forums are trash, their opinions matter even less than /v/.

Top Bottom