• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Current expectation: ports of games that can already be bought on the PS4 anyway. That's pretty much the most remotely interesting thing that's happened last time.

Well, get ready for the nindies direct and keep that expectation flame controlled. If it doesn't happen, its not over yet until nintendo sings their last note and we still have 4 spots (14 if there are going to be more passes in the near future based on datamine) with april delivering Joker and Version 3.0.

Artist: Jaysonblade
View attachment 199561
That's the spirit, mang.

Also, is that a Waluigi Strikers outfit?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm on a 2 week break from Smashboards, but I heard about the Nindies showcase so I wanted to share my thoughts about it real quick. First off, I don't expect to see a Shantae reveal or any Smash reveal in this Direct. At the very least if any thing Shantae, I would expect a new game like Chinderblock said.

Honestly, I don't expect to see anything Shantae and you guys shouldn't either because you're going to be disappointed if you're going full in thinking we are
going to get either a reveal or a new game at the moment. It's too early for either to be honest.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
just an hour left till the stream. Still wondering why it's 30 mins long. interested to at least see some the indies coming :)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, I'm getting Blaster Master Zero II. The first one was great with the DLC character guest stars.

zferolie

Smash Hero
SOme very good looking games shown. Crypt of the necro dancer crossover game with link and zelda was a complete surprise but very cool

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well nothing new when it comes to Shantae or Shovel Knight. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Screenshot_20190320-112805_YouTube.jpg

This is going to be good. Actually twice Legend of Zelda appeared at the end of the direct.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the LoZ crossover has some intresting implications for the future of Nindies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That last reveal is pretty big. Nintendo is working with indies even more. An indie zelda game? what? :p

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Yo, that was a way cooler closer than the last Nindies direct. I got Crypt of the Necrodancer a couple years ago but never played it, now I really need to.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yo, that was a way cooler closer than the last Nindies direct. I got Crypt of the Necrodancer a couple years ago but never played it, now I really need to.
I was thinking of getting it sometime. i may still, but either way this new one is worth getting, for all the right reasons.

Staarih

Smash Master
Haven't been posting here much (if at all), but after watching the Nindies showcase and seeing as big an IP as Zelda being lent to an indie developer makes me giddy about future possibilities with Nintendo collaborating with indies. I mean, Shantae having a cross-over with anything Nintendo related would be soo dope.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Trailer for those who didn't see.

I think this is huge news for the indie scene. Nintendo is letting an indie company work with Zelda. Nintendo trusts an indie company enough to let them work with one of their biggest IP's. This shows Nintendo trusts and respects indie developers, and really opens the door wide open for indies with other nintendo properties, and getting an indie in smash

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if someone will make a Crypt of the Necrodancer support thread after that direct.

Still that was a goo showing, even if there wasn't anything Shantae or Shovel Knight.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That last reveal is pretty big. Nintendo is working with indies even more. An indie zelda game? what? :p
You sure you're not talking about Ittle Dew?

The roguelike I've played the most on my Switch is Has-Been Heroes. Guess this game seems right up my alley with that in mind.

This obviously bodes very well for Shantae's future on the Switch, whatever it may hold, but it'd be pretty cool to see something similar for Shovel Knight, if only to round out Playstation and Xbox versions having Kratos and Battletoads respectively. Meta Knight and Shovel Knight anyone?
I wonder if someone will make a Crypt of the Necrodancer support thread after that direct.

Still that was a goo showing, even if there wasn't anything Shantae or Shovel Knight.
If there's a Cuphead thread they likely went into overdrive.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, what Nintendo IP would you want to crossover with Shantae? I am thinking either Kid Icarus or Metroid.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wario would be intresting to see. Not so sure if Kirby would fit well though.
It'd fit perfectly. Metroid is kinda dark and also a lot of projectiles.

It really depends who'd be working on what, i guess. If it's wayforward adding nintendo stuff, then maybe kirby would be too much work :p (for all copy abilities stuff)

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Ive always wanted to try out blaster master zero. If all the previous crossover characters are coming to 2 ill wait for that instead of getting it on the 3ds. But that plant girl they introduced is already blowing up.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ive always wanted to try out blaster master zero. If all the previous crossover characters are coming to 2 ill wait for that instead of getting it on the 3ds. But that plant girl they introduced is already blowing up.
Yeh that's a weird one :O

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It'd fit perfectly. Metroid is kinda dark and also a lot of projectiles.

It really depends who'd be working on what, i guess. If it's wayforward adding nintendo stuff, then maybe kirby would be too much work :p (for all copy abilities stuff)
But Shantae is a predominantly a Metroidvania. Shantae has also been a space cop before and has had some rather dark moments as well(Or at the very least, implications). I figured it would also be a cool test of character to have Samus in such a scenario of being in the Shantae world and have her personality contrast with the others.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean she has literal melons, whaddya expect. :shiro:

But really though, I like how relatively unique the alien girls' designs are looking so far, they differ a bit from Inti's usual design philosophy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
But Shantae is a predominantly a Metroidvania. Shantae has also been a space cop before and has had some rather dark moments as well(Or at the very least, implications). I figured it would also be a cool test of character to have Samus in such a scenario of being in the Shantae world and have her personality contrast with the others.
They could do something like nerf samus' shots and some story about it, or zero suit samus, i guess :)
It'd be full circle. Sakurai treats us with spirit on ZSS, we put zss in shantae :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a side note, I'm a bit interested in that parkour game with a banana, we'll see if that turns out well.

I still haven't bought the game, but now I got an actual reason to.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They could do something like nerf samus' shots and some story about it, or zero suit samus, i guess :)
It'd be full circle. Sakurai treats us with spirit on ZSS, we put zss in shantae :)
Figured they could do a Shantae version of the Zero Suit section in Zero Mission. Samus crash lands and loses all her abilities, leaving her in Zero Suit mode. She teams up with Shantae and friends to get all the things needed to fix her ship and regain her power suit.

Top Bottom