• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Also, it looks like Thunder Productions has not struck yet. Once he does, a lot of people in the comments are going to get Keyboard Warrior'd by him, as usual.

Better get those Divine Shields up.
The hell are you talking about?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Also, it looks like Thunder Productions has not struck yet. Once he does, a lot of people in the comments are going to get Keyboard Warrior'd by him, as usual.

Better get those Divine Shields up.
What are thunder productions

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So, the alleged leak shows someone looking at the Fighter pass DLC page for Smash Ultimate on the eshop, except for the first three items they list "Persona" "Bravely Default" and "Shantae"

So, real or fake, for once LaxChris is talking about a leak that is about Shantae and not just putting her on the thumbnail for clicks.
LaxChris not having a fraudulent thumbnail? What mad alternate timeline have I woken up in?!

Well, I'm not holding my breath but that would be awesome.
It's best to assume all leaks are someone's "wouldn't it be cool if" until stated otherwise

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing he's an infamous Shantae hater. The kind who yell all the old arguments "no indies" "only want her for rule 34" "No Shovel, no smash"
Nah...a quick Google search and you'll find the clues.

LaxChris not having a fraudulent thumbnail? What mad alternate timeline have I woken up in?!

It's best to assume all leaks are someone's "wouldn't it be cool if" until stated otherwise
I still can't help the insane thought that he's making these leaks and covers them as content.
Several hours and I still haven't seen anyone else upload anything about it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Nah...a quick Google search and you'll find the clues.

I still can't help the insane thought that he's making these leaks and covers them as content.
Several hours and I still haven't seen anyone else upload anything about it.
why don't you just te;; us and not be vague, unless you really don't want to talk about it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well not a single other person other then Laxchris has talked about that leak, so that confirms its fake
Yup. Just like the time he brought up a Direct leak that was said only on a single /v/ post…

Yeah, at least the Agumon guys have the sense of keeping possibly fake info to themselves, since it doesn't seem to have spread out.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Here is one of thunder productions's videos to clear the smoke.

I tried watching but the quality is quite bad at times. Was there a time he talks about shantae?

Yup. Just like the time he brought up a Direct leak that was said only on a single /v/ post…

Yeah, at least the Agumon guys have the sense of keeping possibly fake info to themselves, since it doesn't seem to have spread out.
This video lax talked about isnt even on 4chan i beleive

Dukefire

Smash Master
I tried watching but the quality is quite bad at times. Was there a time he talks about shantae?

This video lax talked about isnt even on 4chan i beleive
this is from what I checked on googling his channel's videos

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Give a time stamp for when the guy talks about Shantae. Also it seems another "leak" containing Shantae has surfaced.

Take it with grain of Salt or not.

EDIT: Well judging from that thunder guys video he basically supports the whole "Spirits deconfirms fighters" BS argument.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Give a time stamp for when the guy talks about Shantae. Also it seems another "leak" containing Shantae has surfaced.

Take it with grain of Salt or not.

EDIT: Well judging from that thunder guys video he basically supports the whole "Spirits deconfirms fighters" BS argument.
We all follow our own guesses. Though while screaming internally, don't let it blind the judgement until official evidence can claim if the spirits talk is true or not.

Till then, speak quietly and carry a big stick.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
We all follow our own guesses. Though while screaming internally, don't let it blind the judgement until official evidence can claim if the spirits talk is true or not.

Till then, speak quietly and carry a big stick.
I think the best thing is to not assume that spirits deconfirm characters period. That way they all have a shot. Also Sakurai does have a way around that when it comes to Shantae. We ALL know how he can get around that "rule" or "argument".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So has anyone got a link to the supposed leak or is his video all aw have to go off of?

If we can't find it, I think we can write it off.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think the best thing is to not assume that spirits deconfirm characters period. That way they all have a shot. Also Sakurai does have a way around that when it comes to Shantae. We ALL know how he can get around that "rule" or "argument".
Yeah, my philosophy is assume what makes the most sense, but already allow for the possibility to be surprised.

As long as it is physically possible for a character to be codes into the game, then it's "possible" for for them to be added. Doesn't mean likely, just means that any "rules" fans imagine existing don't really mean anything.

Sonic and Snake showed characters didn't have to be owned by Nintendo. Cloud and Joker show they don't have to have a presence on Nintendo consoles.

So if that being said, there had been no word on Spirits for or against and everyone is just assuming what their existence could mean for characters.

Personally I feel there are too many in demand characters as spirits that off they were deconfirmed, Nintendo wouldn't have many characters to pick from. It would be needlessly limiting yourself. I mean, basically the only 1st party characters they could use are only ones made after Ultimate at this point cause nearly all the notable ones are already spirits. And I really can't think of 5 worthwhile 3rd party characters (the I have biases against a lot of 3rd party front runners)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah, my philosophy is assume what makes the most sense, but already allow for the possibility to be surprised.

As long as it is physically possible for a character to be codes into the game, then it's "possible" for for them to be added. Doesn't mean likely, just means that any "rules" fans imagine existing don't really mean anything.

Sonic and Snake showed characters didn't have to be owned by Nintendo. Cloud and Joker show they don't have to have a presence on Nintendo consoles.

So if that being said, there had been no word on Spirits for or against and everyone is just assuming what their existence could mean for characters.

Personally I feel there are too many in demand characters as spirits that off they were deconfirmed, Nintendo wouldn't have many characters to pick from. It would be needlessly limiting yourself. I mean, basically the only 1st party characters they could use are only ones made after Ultimate at this point cause nearly all the notable ones are already spirits. And I really can't think of 5 worthwhile 3rd party characters (the I have biases against a lot of 3rd party front runners)
I think we already know the answer. Don't you remember what the spirits replaced?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think we already know the answer. Don't you remember what the spirits replaced?
You call a function that's been around for a long time with a different name, and people change their tune. Call clones Echoes, they stop hating them. Call the main collectibles spirits, everyone is confused.

Honestly, I forget, but I wonder how people acted when trophies got introduced way back in Melee. Probably freaked out when they saw the Luigi one.

Furthermore, some of the characters that were explicitly not considered are too new (Spring Man, Rex), so they'd have even less options if recent characters are too late to get in.

Only exception being Pokémon, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
From the way the "leak" starts off in the video, I'm pretty sure y'all can write it off.

None of the real leaks I've seen have been that long; they're typically short and to the point, to get the info out there. Not to say none of the short leaks are fake, but a real leak is unlikely to have a big paragraph with a person basically just rambling on or putting much more risk into getting caught than they would with a short leak.

also it's LaxChris.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
2 Laxchris videos that deal with shantae in a row and not click bait thumbnails. What is this timeline qe are in?

That 4chan leak is a 4chan, a dime a dozen. Plus with the nindies tommorow and saying a new shovel knight and new shantae game announced could make it easily proven fake in less then 24 hours.

I can see those fighters making it in, and i was thinking that the next 2 fighter packs would be like that. A full nintendo one and a mix on. Makes sense. I also can see Agnes in before a DG character just because square is odd and couldnt get the rights to make a fighter in how sakurao would have wanted.

So really, not instantly fake like the last one, but not getting my hopes up.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
2 Laxchris videos that deal with shantae in a row and not click bait thumbnails. What is this timeline qe are in?

That 4chan leak is a 4chan, a dime a dozen. Plus with the nindies tommorow and saying a new shovel knight and new shantae game announced could make it easily proven fake in less then 24 hours.

I can see those fighters making it in, and i was thinking that the next 2 fighter packs would be like that. A full nintendo one and a mix on. Makes sense. I also can see Agnes in before a DG character just because square is odd and couldnt get the rights to make a fighter in how sakurao would have wanted.

So really, not instantly fake like the last one, but not getting my hopes up.
Yeah, that bit about a new Shovel Knight was what made me assume the leak is fake. Yacht Club already said they have another game coming and it doesn't look like a Shovel Knight tie in.

I suppose that leaker could be referring to the King of Cards mode which we will probably see more of, but I doubt that.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah, that bit about a new Shovel Knight was what made me assume the leak is fake. Yacht Club already said they have another game coming and it doesn't look like a Shovel Knight tie in.

I suppose that leaker could be referring to the King of Cards mode which we will probably see more of, but I doubt that.
I assume King of Cards is that as it is technically a "New" Shovel Knight game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, given how stale Nindies are I'm not expecting anything that nice.
I dont find the nindies too stale. Useally a few games i enjoy

I could interpret that as a new game from them too, but could mean the king of cards as well. Again, not getting hopes up due to this leak

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I assume King of Cards is that as it is technically a "New" Shovel Knight game.
True, but we have known about King of cards for years, so this guy calling it a new game is either misleading (as in he knows it will be there so is being vague in case there is an actual new game announce too) or he somehow thought King of Cards was a completely new game.

Way I see it, if both a new Shantae and King of cards shows up tomorrow, leak has legs. if just King of cards, fake because it would be easy to say it would show up. But even if both are shown it could still be fake as it wouldn't be surprising to think a new Shantae could be in the works considering we don;t know what WF have been doing between completion of Jammies and being brought on to help with Bloodstained.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Thunder Productions is a Shantae supporter who likes to attack others for having even the tiniest hopes for a Spirit to be playable. He's been in doing for quite a while now, and has been talked about here once or twice before.

Hard to believe his name woosh'd everyone.

Anyway, still can't find that leak anywhere. I'm leaning towards the possibility that Lax completely made it up himself.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Thunder Productions is a Shantae supporter who likes to attack others for having even the tiniest hopes for a Spirit to be playable. He's been in doing for quite a while now, and has been talked about here once or twice before.

Hard to believe his name woosh'd everyone.

Anyway, still can't find that leak anywhere. I'm leaning towards the possibility that Lax completely made it up himself.
He directly said it was from his discord. So....yeah

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Furthermore, some of the characters that were explicitly not considered are too new (Spring Man, Rex), so they'd have even less options if recent characters are too late to get in.

Only exception being Pokémon, for obvious reasons.
With Spring Man being an assist that pretty much covers what you'd expect an ARMS character to do, it begs the question of if the series is too young for a fighter to have Smash potential (one way to remedy this would be more dynamic close-combat). Then again, there are characters like Coyle who have uniqueness in their own merits, you can't underestimate the ingenuity of Sakurai and there's been that long-running Party Crash tournament that seems awful like a ballot for ARMS characters...

To go with the leak discussion, I just take ones containing characters I like as flattery. If they are real, awesome. If not, well they got some more exposure. Especially if more effort goes into them than just writing some text.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With Spring Man being an assist that pretty much covers what you'd expect an ARMS character to do, it begs the question of if the series is too young for a fighter to have Smash potential (one way to remedy this would be more dynamic close-combat). Then again, there are characters like Coyle who have uniqueness in their own merits, you can't underestimate the ingenuity of Sakurai and there's been that long-running Party Crash tournament that seems awful like a ballot for ARMS characters...

To go with the leak discussion, I just take ones containing characters I like as flattery. If they are real, awesome. If not, well they got some more exposure. Especially if more effort goes into them than just writing some text.
It does help that ARMS doesn't have a main character per se, so that leaves a bit of wiggle room.

That latter point is what I at least respect, even if it all boils down to getting the attention of a bunch of people you don't know for 15 minutes. At least it's preferable when they don't take fans for a bunch of children by making them solve pointless riddles.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Lax just uploaded potentially the same video from yesterday. Not even gonna bother.
Not expecting Smash to take over the Nindies Direct, either.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Lax just uploaded potentially the same video from yesterday. Not even gonna bother.
Not expecting Smash to take over the Nindies Direct, either.
I don't think anyone is. Last time was different when Smash was still full of mysteries and the chance of the first indie rep would have been huge news before launch. This time around Smash has slowed down and no one is really expecting new character reveals until we know more about Joker.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't think anyone is. Last time was different when Smash was still full of mysteries and the chance of the first indie rep would have been huge news before launch. This time around Smash has slowed down and no one is really expecting new character reveals until we know more about Joker.
That and the big spring update which will no doubt warrant explanation, likely a dedicated section in a normal direct, along with Joker gameplay (he releases in April). Also seems like a good time to at least tease the next challenger.

zferolie

Smash Hero
yeah not going to expect smash news, but man... I can't help but imagine a reveal.

One more thing. Wayforward logo plays(with the jingle) We get an animated cutscene with Shantae confronting risky boots in scuttle town. Big speech and normal hero vs villain talk, when Shantae suddenly says, "Whats that". Then world of light beams engulf her, like those meme videos. It then cuts to black, We see her spirit floating around, when it then flies off screen above an envelope with the smash logo. We hear a poping sound, and shantae's hand reaches down and picks it up.

Challenge Pack 2: Shantae.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
yeah not going to expect smash news, but man... I can't help but imagine a reveal.

One more thing. Wayforward logo plays(with the jingle) We get an animated cutscene with Shantae confronting risky boots in scuttle town. Big speech and normal hero vs villain talk, when Shantae suddenly says, "Whats that". Then world of light beams engulf her, like those meme videos. It then cuts to black, We see her spirit floating around, when it then flies off screen above an envelope with the smash logo. We hear a poping sound, and shantae's hand reaches down and picks it up.

Challenge Pack 2: Shantae.
What a "spirit becomes fighter" story needs is an empty trophy stand. After all, they do still exist in Ultimate, it just seems to be a status reserved for fighters now. Like, the spirit is hypnotically drawn to it while the fighter(s) (possibly even the one that bonded with it) follow and try to clear the way. If we go the invitation angle, it would have to take place after everything in World of Light. For Shantae this would mean waking up in her lighthouse, initially remembering the whole thing as the longest, most ridiculous dream she's ever had. Then she visits Uncle/he visits her, who says someone he's never seen before yet seems to know Shantae is here to give her something...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
What a "spirit becomes fighter" story needs is an empty trophy stand. After all, they do still exist in Ultimate, it just seems to be a status reserved for fighters now. Like, the spirit is hypnotically drawn to it while the fighter(s) (possibly even the one that bonded with it) follow and try to clear the way. If we go the invitation angle, it would have to take place after everything in World of Light. For Shantae this would mean waking up in her lighthouse, initially remembering the whole thing as the longest, most ridiculous dream she's ever had. Then she visits Uncle/he visits her, who says someone he's never seen before yet seems to know Shantae is here to give her something...
I like seeing an empty stand more, nice idea

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, get ready for the nindies direct and keep that expectation flame controlled. If it doesn't happen, its not over yet until nintendo sings their last note and we still have 4 spots (14 if there are going to be more passes in the near future based on datamine) with april delivering Joker and Version 3.0.

Artist: Jaysonblade
half_genie_futbol_by_jaysonblade-dd24yu4.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom