• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last year, they put out the preview along a Legend of Korra story on Free Comic Book day.

https://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/08/dark-horse-gives-special-preview-upcoming-arms-comic/

Turns out it was supposed to be out January this year, but was delayed. I don't follow comics much these days... doesn't help there's not much in the way of convenient shopping for those in my area.

Two random thoughts for the day: Mr. Game & Watch does a lot of Tinkerbat-like things these days like burning things, throwing bombs, hammer bashing, handling marine life and scuba diving. And I don't know if this was ever brought up in the past, but looking through concept art for Half-Genie Hero's Batgal shows a lot of move ideas for her... way more than what she does as an enemy.
Yeah, this silence from Dark Horse is really weird, I wonder what the hold up is. I haven't seen any option to pre-order it either.

To be fair, Commander Video has a full blown series and Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight are parts of series, albeit are only the main character of the debut game. Both also had the strange affliction of DLC becoming so big it became it's own game. You'd never see EA but that much effort into DLC.

Shantae does have the seniority over other Indie characters by virtue of Capcom not acquiring the rights when publishing. Still wondering how they pulled that off.
Although CommanderVideo didn't leave much of an impression, seeing as he gets no spirit here. I don't think it would have been difficult to ask for the rights either, since Choice Provisions doesn't seem like a difficult company to deal with. Especially since they were hired to make the new Bubsy.

Also, I have a simple explanation: Capcom stopped caring about Middle Eastern-type belly dancers after the mid-00s, which is partly why you don't see Power Stone stuff anymore. Although granted this was before Inafune nudged them into going full-on Westaboo.

What a way to begin the 700-Stretch.:yeahboi:
Next time you wanna joke, use this: :4pacman:.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Look at what your careless hands have wrought, Biometal! Look upon your works, ye mighty, and despair!!
(Deep breath) Sorry, just felt like being a drama student.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Technically speaking, the only things that are outright unallowed are showing panties and Mythra's original outfit.

Well, that and showing too much of :ultbayonetta:'s stripping habit.
Unless they've already patched (which I doubt), you can briefly see Palutena's underskirt during Dedede's clobberin' Final Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Unless they've already patched (which I doubt), you can briefly see Palutena's underskirt during Dedede's clobberin' Final Smash.
Do I need to remind you all which alt of Zero Suit Samus was used to represent our belly dancer?
What I'm saying is, what is or isn't okay is weird by CERO standards. Showing too much thigh on Palu is a no no, but on ZSS isn't?

Also, Risky is right there as a spirit.

Then again Shantae is in the "kid/family" series ghetto worldview, so that helps. It's not like it's Senran Kagura or anything.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dress physics sometimes glitch on Palutena when she does a throw and you get a full view of her legs briefly.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Then again Shantae is in the "kid/family" series ghetto worldview, so that helps. It's not like it's Senran Kagura or anything.
I am just going to get this from TV Tropes.

"What Do You Mean, It's for Kids? / What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: The Shantae series has a bit of an odd relationship with the concept of target demographic, with creator Matt Bozon stating in regards to the first game that it's "too sexy to be a kid's brand, and too girly for a male gamer brand." As a whole, the franchise mixes a cute art style and simple, lighthearted stories with odd bits of dark humor, many jokes that would go over a child's head, and a bevy of sexy character designs. The best comparison for the game's tone might be Betty Boop: broadly speaking, it's all-ages friendly, but there's a lot that would make you pause at giving the games to a kid to play."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I am just going to get this from TV Tropes.

"What Do You Mean, It's for Kids? / What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: The Shantae series has a bit of an odd relationship with the concept of target demographic, with creator Matt Bozon stating in regards to the first game that it's "too sexy to be a kid's brand, and too girly for a male gamer brand." As a whole, the franchise mixes a cute art style and simple, lighthearted stories with odd bits of dark humor, many jokes that would go over a child's head, and a bevy of sexy character designs. The best comparison for the game's tone might be Betty Boop: broadly speaking, it's all-ages friendly, but there's a lot that would make you pause at giving the games to a kid to play."
That sort of thing is more widespread in JP media, so values dissonance definitely fit into this.

Though I can't help but wonder, how one would go about campaigning for the likes of characters such as Morrigan and Jessica if we can't be sure what would get past the customs radar. Although the Mai Shiranui thread did find a handy loophole.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That sort of thing is more widespread in JP media, so values dissonance definitely fit into this.

Though I can't help but wonder, how one would go about campaigning for the likes of characters such as Morrigan and Jessica if we can't be sure what would get past the customs radar. Although the Mai Shiranui thread did find a handy loophole.
But Wayforward is an American company.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Morrigan can easily change her appearance/clothing if any part of it is an issue. However, we do have have cleavage in Bayonetta's first game costume.

But Wayforward is an American company.
What I mean is, cute and sexy is okay in Japan, compared to GRR, GUNS AND BLOODY GUTS America.

Besides, Inti Creates worked with them from the third game onwards. Shantae was barely on the radar before that point.
"Girl heroes in video games... pah! The protagonists should be muscle-bound and wield a gun, not twirl their hair round!" - Cranky Kong

But seriously, other than that female protagonist and a larger-than average female cast I don't see what's really girly about the Shantae series. And given all the inspiration it takes from a big japanese developer's games, it's not hard to imagine them also doing so with art style. All Inti Creates has really done, if anything, is shift it from one noted style (the tall. slender builds seen in the likes of Sailor Moon) to another (chibi).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Morrigan can easily change her appearance/clothing if any part of it is an issue. However, we do have have cleavage in Bayonetta's first game costume.

"Girl heroes in video games... pah! The protagonists should be muscle-bound and wield a gun, not twirl their hair round!" - Cranky Kong

But seriously, other than that female protagonist and a larger-than average female cast I don't see what's really girly about the Shantae series. And given all the inspiration it takes from a big japanese developer's games, it's not hard to imagine them also doing so with art style. All Inti Creates has really done, if anything, is shift it from one noted style (the tall. slender builds seen in the likes of Sailor Moon) to another (chibi).
Anything is considered "girly" to most people if it looks kiddy enough, even :ultkirby:. At least when they look at it from the surface, I have no doubt there are people that still judge a book by its cover and don't give it a second glance, regardless of what's actually in it.

Well, that, and TV Tropes isn't the most accurate site out there.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
There is Always an excuse for a character one doesn't like to not enter smash. Have to deal with it till the end.

Original Artist: jmkpover
Colored by edCOM02
Shantae_and_Peach_by_edCOM02.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't really care for freedom planet a lot now after being released back on the PC in 2014. The story is great, but I do wonder what is Galaxytrail's status on their sequel? I haven't heard word since their update in 2017.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I don't really care for freedom planet a lot now after being released back on the PC in 2014. The story is great, but I do wonder what is Galaxytrail's status on their sequel? I haven't heard word since their update in 2017.
All I know is that Christian Whitehead is supposed to be working on that game, yet he's started his own studio with other Sonic Mania devs recently. Supposedly FP2 will be out sometime around the second quarter of this year.

In the meantime, their side project Grapple Force Rena has been out since December, so I assume the load's been lightened.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
All I know is that Christian Whitehead is supposed to be working on that game, yet he's started his own studio with other Sonic Mania devs recently. Supposedly FP2 will be out sometime around the second quarter of this year.

In the meantime, their side project Grapple Force Rena has been out since December, so I assume the load's been lightened.
Never heard of Grapple force Rena. What is that? And its cool Whitehead may be working on FP2

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
One more Giga Mermaid art for the road:

https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=61801023

Eh, personally the story for me was just fine. Nothing amazing. I just wish Lilac's dragon dash wasn't always all-or-nothing, you know?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I believe that one of the things the sequel will address is fixing up Lilac's ability set.

Also, Giga Mermaid arts are always good.
In my imagined Shantae & Mario crossover the Mermaid Falls get mixed with Yoshi's Island, with the two tribes slowly getting to know each other. And having a giant battle playing as Giga Mermaid being the climax there.

Top Bottom