• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Posting this here since you guys are are probably the most interested in her tweets
I would say the award ceremony and her earlier tweet were two separate events. she specifically said "about to work on the biggest game..."

So not only would it be weird to call an award show a "game" but generally in live performance you wouldn't use the phrase work "on" You would more likely say work "in" or just "working"

Christina Vee has a ton of stuff going on right now, so pointing to one of them and saying "that must be what she meant" is a little short sighted

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I would say the award ceremony and her earlier tweet were two separate events. she specifically said "about to work on the biggest game..."

So not only would it be weird to call an award show a "game" but generally in live performance you would use the phrase work "on" You would more likely say work "in" or just "working"

Christina Vee has a ton of stuff going on right now, so pointing to one of them and saying "that must be what she meant" is a little short sighted
In what world would anyone use the term "game" to refer to an award ceremony?
I have no idea one way or another but it seemed related to your interests, I agree though if she said game it doesn't really make sense to be talking about an award show.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have no idea one way or another but it seemed related to your interests, I agree though if she said game it doesn't really make sense to be talking about an award show.
There is worth in hearing ever side of the conversation, so I am glad that this was brought up.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
All info if worthwhile. Didn't mean to make it sound like i didn't appreciate you showing us. The way i see it every piece of evidence is important because it will either reaffirm you suspicions or allow you to course correct.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Evidence it a crucial piece towards looking for the truth or a way to close off a false path.

I'm really going to release my flames once another direct arrives

zferolie

Smash Hero
D

Deleted member

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Welp

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamctierney/status/1094045060998414336
https://mobile.twitter.com/adamctierney/status/1093980321639321600

I'll be appalled if he gets attacked for "teasing Shantae as DLC", even though he should not have "joked" about Smash earlier since that's what could happen as the result.
That's the Smash community for ya.

Needless to say Shantae's chances have dwindled in light of the new evidence. Wouldn't count her entirely out of the running yet though.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
That's the Smash community for ya.

Needless to say Shantae's chances have dwindled in light of the new evidence. Wouldn't count her entirely out of the running yet though.
Not that I'm surprised about the earlier twitts. But you would think people would be considerate about these kinds of things. Not to mention how starved fans are for anything Smash related.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah no ****. everyone jumps to conclusions.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Well now there's a certain person blaming WayForward for "screwing up". Thing is, they didn't screw up squat.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, the real question becomes... What is this "biggest game" Christina was talking about? Clearly not a new Shantae game since Adam says he doesn't know what it is... So what could it be? Are there any Mortal Combat characters she might be voicing? Or a Warner Bros owned character who might guest star in MK?

Any other big games coming around? could Pokemon Gen 8 be getting voice acting for the first time in the series?!?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
FE Three Houses? that Granblue Fighting Game?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hmm, I guess "biggest game" is a very subjective statement, but I doubt you could really call either of those "the biggest" I mean, FE is way more popular than it used to be, but it's still just past the "fringe" levels of sales/popularity. As for Granblue, i don't know, is that franchise a big deal? I had never heard of it until that one rumor floating around said one of their protags was in Smash.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I guess "biggest game" is a very subjective statement, but I doubt you could really call either of those "the biggest" I mean, FE is way more popular than it used to be, but it's still just past the "fringe" levels of sales/popularity. As for Granblue, i don't know, is that franchise a big deal? I had never heard of it until that one rumor floating around said one of their protags was in Smash.
Probably something left-field.

inb4 it's just for a new Fortnite female character.

zferolie

Smash Hero
at this point we should assume no one but nintendo will be offically teasing smash, as so far only they have.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Posting this here since you guys are are probably the most interested in her tweets
Seeing that reminds me how amazing Cristina Vee's Homura is.

Yeah no ****. everyone jumps to conclusions.
Eh, I place some of the blame on Cristina here. You can't just say "biggest game ever" without getting rampant speculation, and we're in the middle of a Smash hype cycle. And I highly doubt Cristina is not at least aware of Smash's presence and how people can react for it.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is easily my biggest game (this year), but I find it hard to believe that someone like her would be referring to it in that way...unless she's secretly a FE die hard like me.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Seeing that reminds me how amazing Cristina Vee's Homura is.

Eh, I place some of the blame on Cristina here. You can't just say "biggest game ever" without getting rampant speculation, and we're in the middle of a Smash hype cycle. And I highly doubt Cristina is not at least aware of Smash's presence and how people can react for it.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is easily my biggest game (this year), but I find it hard to believe that someone like her would be referring to it in that way...unless she's secretly a FE die hard like me.
its arguably the biggest game she has a role in currently, given Edgelgard also seems to be a main character.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
its arguably the biggest game she has a role in currently, given Edgelgard also seems to be a main character.
Yeah but even I hesitate to call it "one of the biggest games ever made." And if it was that, why not say it was that? We know about the game and her role in it already, and she previously confirmed on Twitter that she voices Edelgard so it's not like she's under some sort of long-lasting NDA for it.

The only reason for her to continue to not tell us what game it is is that she's not supposed to, thus it's a big game we don't know about or we don't know she has a role in.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Which was a mistake.
Undoubtedly. Yes, fans should freak out or lose their cool or anything like that, but Wayforward and i imagine anyone who works there know how desperately their fans were hoping for her inclusion and how much we paid attention to anything regarding the matter.

People shouldn;t have acted out, but he should have known better.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Strangely, the Shantae reddit hasn't responded in any way to these tweets.

You gotta admit there's a determination in Wayforward to keep the dream of Shantae being playable in Smash alive that you don't see in most other devs.

Anyway, here's another piece of art by a japanese artist:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm glad they were honest about it and basically shut down the rabid assumptions :p

It's normal people want some info and excitement. This would all be much simpler if shantae was just in everything. :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm glad they were honest about it and basically shut down the rabid assumptions :p

It's normal people want some info and excitement. This would all be much simpler if shantae was just in everything. :)
Shantae came into existence out of a pure, simple desire of her creators to share what they felt was a character people would love. Couple that with an apparent healthy respect for Nintendo classics and it's not hard to see why they hold Smash, a game all about presenting as many of them as possible to those who may or may not know them, in such high regard. Of course, until Brawl introduced the concept of third-party characters, getting one of their own in felt like a pipe dream. Yet, it's a dream they held onto regardless, usings Nintendo's platforms first and foremost to star their heroine in hopes of capturing the audience that plays on them and, by extension, Smash.

Or maybe I'm just looking too much into their sales strategies. But regardless they seem to have a keen awareness of who Shantae is and where her series comes from that dictates what kinds of games she guest-stars in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Evidence it a crucial piece towards looking for the truth or a way to close off a false path.

I'm really going to release my flames once another direct arrives
This wednesday, in the Thunderdome, who will come victorious, King Zell's claim, or Duke's skepticism? Don't miss this one folks, it's going to be a hot one!

Seriously though I've had it up to here with all the speculation and I want this to be over with. Want to know who that damned 2nd pass character is so that my conscience can rest easy. I know how you feel.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As much as I want Shantae to appear more in stuff, kinda don’t want her to take the same route Shovel Knight is taking.
To be fair, some of his guest appearances were planned a long time ago, and some of those games he's planned to show up in still aren't out yet, so that causes a chain reaction that makes one feel he got oversaturation.

That being said, WF does need more projects besides Shantae to keep them afloat right now, we don't know about any of their upcoming ones besides helping with Bloodstained.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Shantae came into existence out of a pure, simple desire of her creators to share what they felt was a character people would love. Couple that with an apparent healthy respect for Nintendo classics and it's not hard to see why they hold Smash, a game all about presenting as many of them as possible to those who may or may not know them, in such high regard. Of course, until Brawl introduced the concept of third-party characters, getting one of their own in felt like a pipe dream. Yet, it's a dream they held onto regardless, usings Nintendo's platforms first and foremost to star their heroine in hopes of capturing the audience that plays on them and, by extension, Smash.

Or maybe I'm just looking too much into their sales strategies. But regardless they seem to have a keen awareness of who Shantae is and where her series comes from that dictates what kinds of games she guest-stars in.
As much as I want Shantae to appear more in stuff, kinda don’t want her to take the same route Shovel Knight is taking.
I just want to see more shantae ok?? XD

I dont really like shovel knight that much, but I dont think it's bad to show up in a lot of things. Well, being in bigger stuff like smash is of course the dream. But anyway, I really just wanted to say I want more shantae, not thinking about strategy. :p

Also. looks like we both upgraded our avatars :)

Top Bottom