• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's not what I was referring to. I was referring to the 5channel leak. The guy who leaked the fact that Granblue Fantasy is getting a fighting game as well as Persona 5 R said that we're getting Erdrick, Doomguy, Steve, and Ryu Hayabusa.
I makes sense to me. All have Nintendo history, all have left there footprint on gaming and can be described as icons of their respective genre's, and all of them are certainly popular to some extent. Helps that there is also a good amount of moveset potential for the characters as well.

D

Deleted member

That's not what I was referring to. I was referring to the 5channel leak. The guy who leaked the fact that Granblue Fantasy is getting a fighting game as well as Persona 5 R said that we're getting Erdrick, Doomguy, Steve, and Ryu Hayabusa.
D...D...D....Doomguy?!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, I saw that list too. All I can say is that if it's legit then i saved $20. I honestly don't care about any of those characters. If Persona 5 comes to Switch i might try it and then if I like it I might buy Joker, and I like DQ, but they will have to make the character really interesting for me to want to buy another player insert sword fighter.

Steve, Ninja Gaiden Ryu and Doomguy don't even have a chance of me wanting to pay for them. So yeah, I'm hoping for fake otherwise we need a season 2

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
D...D...D....Doomguy?!
I got quite excited as well, as I am a Doomguy supporter. If that is the lineup, I ain't mad at all, as I don't hate any reps involved and they are all there for pretty understandable reason, at least from my perspective.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, the thing about Dragon Quest and the term "Hero" is that hero is an actual class in the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still don't understand the sentiment of needing to personally like a character to play as/buy them. They don't always mix. I can enjoy a character's design and personality or whatnot, yet be unable to stand using them for more than a few moments. Conversely characters I don't know well or care much for can end up being very fun.

I know Super Castlevania IV ended being a lot more fun than I thought it would be, anyway.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, considering Henry Fleming is a spirit in this game... Then I can at least pretend like the "brave" file name could refer to Lion.

I still don't understand the sentiment of needing to personally like a character to play as/buy them. They don't always mix. I can enjoy a character's design and personality or whatnot, yet be unable to stand using them for more than a few moments. Conversely characters I don't know well or care much for can end up being very fun.

I know Super Castlevania IV ended being a lot more fun than I thought it would be, anyway.
Well, with so many characters in the game (so many that you aren't likely to play as most of them to begin with) If I am going to spend more money, it would need to be on something i plan to actually use, and for me to use a character over the half dozen i already regularly play as, they would need to be a character I care about and find interesting.

For reference, I care nothing for the Final Fantasy series and as such didn't bother buying Cloud when he came out last time (came very close to not buying Ryu as well) It just doesn't make sense to spend money on something you don't want and right now the only reason i would buy the season pass is if i like enough of the characters that it becomes cheaper to buy all of them rather than piece meal it.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I makes sense to me. All have Nintendo history, all have left there footprint on gaming and can be described as icons of their respective genre's, and all of them are certainly popular to some extent. Helps that there is also a good amount of moveset potential for the characters as well.
The only one that I wouldn't want is Steve, but Erdrick(with the supposed female alt!) could be neat. Ryu Hayabusa does have quite a bit of Nintendo history and could be pretty cool. Doomguy would be difficult to picture in Smash because, while he uses guns kinda like Snake, Doom is far more brutal.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The only one that I wouldn't want is Steve, but Erdrick(with the supposed female alt!) could be neat. Ryu Hayabusa does have quite a bit of Nintendo history and could be pretty cool. Doomguy would be difficult to picture in Smash because, while he uses guns kinda like Snake, Doom is far more brutal.
I am intrigued by Steve from a possible mechanic perspective. While there is a Square character I want in more, I have come to understand Erdrick legacy and potential much better as time has gone on. For Ryu, it would nice to have another Ninja in the game as we only really have Sheik and Greninja, and it certainly helps that he has very retro origins with Nintendo. And when it comes to Doomguy's brutality, I want to compare something. Doomguy spends 3-4 seconds dispatching Demons with his Glory Kill. The way he does it, while gory, does not have him cause any more damage than is necessary. He goes strait for the kill, no need to waste any more time than necessary. Now let's look at Bayo's flashy kills. Full blown torture devices of varying pain and flash, all dragged out to a grand death. Sure, you can argue that Doomguy causes more gore, but that can be tuned down. Heck, gore has never really been Doom's selling point. Bayo's executions are not in Smash at all for a reason.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I am intrigued by Steve from a possible mechanic perspective. While there is a Square character I want in more, I have come to understand Erdrick legacy and potential much better as time has gone on. For Ryu, it would nice to have another Ninja in the game as we only really have Sheik and Greninja, and it certainly helps that he has very retro origins with Nintendo. And when it comes to Doomguy's brutality, I want to compare something. Doomguy spends 3-4 seconds dispatching Demons with his Glory Kill. The way he does it, while gory, does not have him cause any more damage than is necessary. He goes strait for the kill, no need to waste any more time than necessary. Now let's look at Bayo's flashy kills. Full blown torture devices of varying pain and flash, all dragged out to a grand death. Sure, you can argue that Doomguy causes more gore, but that can be tuned down. Heck, gore has never really been Doom's selling point. Bayo's executions are not in Smash at all for a reason.
Especially when you consider the older Dooms only had a crudely animated punch and chainsaw as melee attacks, and the gameplay is generally just too fast for you to linger on your carnage. The trickiest part of incorporating him will probably be his run-and-gun style, and whether or not they allow bullet-based weapons.

Ryu Hayabusa leaves me wondering how much they'll balance the classic and modern aspects of the character. Since this is a 2D game it stands to reason they'll incorporate more of the platforming, but I can't help but think it'd look silly if Ryu in his modern getup did that weird classic ninja run. Of course, his Izuna Drop is practically a trademark at this point.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I see you are a man of culture as well
The saddest thing in recent Nintendo history is how poorly that game sold. Not only were so many people missing out on a great game, but all the people who did play it won't get that sequel that it hinted toward.

I mean, everyone complained about the enemy wait time, but they didn't understand that it was part of the atmosphere. It was supposed to reflect what it would be like being surrounded by creatures, not being able to see them, but hearing them, somewhere scurrying around. You were meant to use that time constantly switching between your agents, trying to get an idea on which enemy was moving and where and if you can hit them with an overclock attack.

Such a shame...

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I’m starting to think your becoming the devils advocate here
Not saying she won't get in DLC. But she's obviously not the "Brave" fighter.

The fighter in question doesn't have a rapid jab. Something Shantae has famous access to with her hair whips and other abilities.

Not to mention, other stats and datamined attributes that contradict Shantae.

Also, I don't think "devil's advocate" means what you think it means.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ryu Hayabusa leaves me wondering how much they'll balance the classic and modern aspects of the character. Since this is a 2D game it stands to reason they'll incorporate more of the platforming, but I can't help but think it'd look silly if Ryu in his modern getup did that weird classic ninja run. Of course, his Izuna Drop is practically a trademark at this point.
I mean if they have to they could incorporate his classic design as a costume. I think it’d be fine if the base took the more classic route incorporating plenty of modern elements and design, they could find a way to make the walk if not more natural looking, then at least have better flow of movement. Maybe the Izuna Drop would work as an up throw or even up special?

Not gonna happen. The fighter in question doesn't have a rapid jab.
I wasn’t being serious.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Like most people in this thread I want Shantae the most, but unlike some others I've seen post, not in this thread specifically mind you, I'm gonna be buying all the DLC characters. I have a semi large group of people who like to come around and play Smash and they for the most part have different tastes then me. I wanna keep the options open for everyone, and if they really like one of the DLC characters, like Joker for example, I don't wanna keep it from them. I already know a good amount of people already are pretty excited to play Joker and that's awesome. Just hoping everyone's having a good time together despite some of the more saltier ones we play with.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Like most people in this thread I want Shantae the most, but unlike some others I've seen post, not in this thread specifically mind you, I'm gonna be buying all the DLC characters. I have a semi large group of people who like to come around and play Smash and they for the most part have different tastes then me. I wanna keep the options open for everyone, and if they really like one of the DLC characters, like Joker for example, I don't wanna keep it from them. I already know a good amount of people already are pretty excited to play Joker and that's awesome. Just hoping everyone's having a good time together despite some of the more saltier ones we play with.
Salt covers first and then eventually reaching a mutual point. Its the cycle of the newcomers arrival to smash regarding if they are from nintendo or another gaming company.

Shadowknight1

Personally, I'm getting all the DLC cause I like to have it complete.

On that note, if there's a second FIghter's Pass(BIG IF, THERE IS NO STATEMENT THAT THIS IS FIGHTER'S PASS 1), I think it needs to be either 4 or 6 fighters instead of 5. I'm sure that's weird to some of you, but I like even numbers.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Salt covers first and then eventually reaching a mutual point. Its the cycle of the newcomers arrival to smash regarding if they are from nintendo or another gaming company.
In regards to the salt, I don't mean newcomers. I just have some people that get a little bit upset over losing.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Hey guys has anyone seen Hollywoodrok12 lately?

I feel like after what he misheard what Reggie said he just vanished like gave up on everything.
What's this about?

Anyway, considered he liked this post:
Yeah, I saw that list too. All I can say is that if it's legit then i saved $20. I honestly don't care about any of those characters. If Persona 5 comes to Switch i might try it and then if I like it I might buy Joker, and I like DQ, but they will have to make the character really interesting for me to want to buy another player insert sword fighter.

Steve, Ninja Gaiden Ryu and Doomguy don't even have a chance of me wanting to pay for them. So yeah, I'm hoping for fake otherwise we need a season 2
It's clear he's still lurking around.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just bought the fighter pass just to have all the characters, I know I could have waited until all the characters were revealed to see if it was worth it but I wanted to be sure I had the money for it. Also Joker alone is worth it imo.

The saddest thing in recent Nintendo history is how poorly that game sold. Not only were so many people missing out on a great game, but all the people who did play it won't get that sequel that it hinted toward.

I mean, everyone complained about the enemy wait time, but they didn't understand that it was part of the atmosphere. It was supposed to reflect what it would be like being surrounded by creatures, not being able to see them, but hearing them, somewhere scurrying around. You were meant to use that time constantly switching between your agents, trying to get an idea on which enemy was moving and where and if you can hit them with an overclock attack.

Such a shame...
Codename Steam was a seriouslybunderrated game, it made me so happy that they put a couple songs from the game in Smash.

Shadowknight1

I know this isn't the right thread for it, but I was thinking about Erdrick and a potential Final Smash. Not knowing much about Dragon Quest, I think I came up with something kinda neat? Since the Slime is pretty much the other face of DQ, I imagine a giant Slime engulfing the other fighters and Erdrick cuts down the Slime to try and save them, but knocks them out too.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Such a shame...
Oh, it was more than just long enemy phases that made things a drag. Everything about the gameplay slows the pace to an unbelievable crawl. You have to move your units extra slowly to not make noise, when games like Steamworld Heist handle it way better by just making distance traveled affect how quickly you move. Overwatch is busted for and against you, but the enemy has the luxury of not worrying about time limits and infinite reinforcements, so you're pretty much forced to get in their line of fire and risk getting stunned just to get a decent shot. Enemies take way too much to kill without hitting their weak points, which often exacerbates the overwatch problem when those who have it on their rear are guarding an exit. And if you think fog of war levels are annoying in strategy games, well guess what. That's the entirety of Code Name STEAM.

It tries to be a horror and strategy game at the same time, but fails miserably at both because it's too campy to be scary and you're never given enough to be able to properly strategize with, making every level an exercise in trial and error. The setting was interesting but is nowhere near enough to salvage the miserable, unfun gameplay.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Me:What’s he laughing about?

Also me:
FD559A46-E133-4129-903E-BE36ED90BAC3.jpeg

No variations no costumes no power ups just pikachu

And the name doesn’t matter as well

Shantae for smash!
Spirits=trophies
And nobody do devils advocate on me I hate that

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The Smash Pikachu and Partner Pikachu have attacks that the other can't learn ergo they are different characters.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Personally I still stand by retro Pit as the best example of spirits not meaning much. In no way is it a separate incarnation since it is referenced heavily in Uprising, and it could just as easily have been switched around with the Uprising spirit as the fighter variation. I say this because Dark Samus uses her Prime 2 design as the fighter spirit even though plenty of images of her Prime 3 appearance which she's more closely based on in Smash exist.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Me:What’s he laughing about?

Also me:
View attachment 185723
No variations no costumes no power ups just pikachu

And the name doesn’t matter as well

Shantae for smash!
Spirits=trophies
And nobody do devils advocate on me I hate that
Ehhhh, hate to say it, but the name difference does fall under disambiguations as we've mentioned before.

Besides, Partner Pikachu is a different character from Smash Pikachu.

That said, if the rumors of all characters being third party are true, that's a step closer to a reality where characters without spirits are getting in on Season Pass train.

D

Deleted member

Ehhhh, hate to say it, but the name difference does fall under disambiguations as we've mentioned before.

Besides, Partner Pikachu is a different character from Smash Pikachu.

That said, if the rumors of all characters being third party are true, that's a step closer to a reality where characters without spirits are getting in on Season Pass train.
Like I said

DEVILS ADVOCATE!

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Like I said

DEVILS ADVOCATE!
Gonna have to do a bit more, but in this case to point out that in the case of Pokemon, the distinction is much more necessary as they're species as opposed to single characters. Detective Pikachu, Partner Pikachu, Pikachu Libre, Smash Pikachu, etc. are all different characters as they're different individual Pikachu.

Does that mean anything significant for Spirits? IDK, but it's something to keep in mind at least.

D

Deleted member

Gonna have to do a bit more, but in this case to point out that in the case of Pokemon, the distinction is much more necessary as they're species as opposed to single characters. Detective Pikachu, Partner Pikachu, Pikachu Libre, Smash Pikachu, etc. are all different characters as they're different individual Pikachu.

Does that mean anything significant for Spirits? IDK, but it's something to keep in mind at least.
But it’s the same design as the fighter

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
But it’s the same design as the fighter
I mean, it's a Pikachu. Most Pokemon look exactly the same aside from a few that distinguish themselves using clothes (Detective, Libre, etc.) or ones that happen to have a physical quirk (Spiky Eared Pichu) that set them apart.

D

Deleted member

I mean, it's a Pikachu. Most Pokemon look exactly the same aside from a few that distinguish themselves using clothes (Detective, Libre, etc.) or ones that happen to have a physical quirk (Spiky Eared Pichu) that set them apart.
Do you see those on the partner pikachu?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Do you see those on the partner pikachu?
No. That's kind of the point I was making. Partner Pikachu looks like any Pikachu. You could just as easily call it plain old Pikachu, or say Red's Pikachu, etc, etc. and it still fits with the design because they all look the same.

It's designated as Partner Pikachu because it's meant to be the Let's Go Trainer's starter specifically. Its given a distinction because its a specific character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom