• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Actually, yeah, I am sure. He wasn't playable in ANY of those examples you supplied. (And before you say it, No, in Explorers you didn't PLAY as Cloud your character would "dream" that they were Cloud)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Cloud did not deserve his spot in Smash Bros.
The heck does being playable have to do with anything? That doesn't negate his history with Nintendo..

Besides, he's technically playable during a segment of Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, so there you go.

And by virtue of being just good dang popular with enough history with Nintendo to warrant or, not to mention him doing so well at the ballot, he earned his position in Smash fair and Square.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, whether you like him or not, Cloud is the face of Final Fantasy, full stop the most influential RPG franchise ever. If you argue that Moogle, Cactaur, Chocobo, or Black Mage do it better, you'd be laughed out of the room. Say what you will about Final Fantasy VII game wise (it's pretty overrated) but it had an enormous impact on gaming and set a new precedent for the entire industry when it came to story telling and development. So, yes, Cloud's actual impact and presence on Nintendo platforms is minimal but Final Fantasy's and its various spin-offs is gigantic.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Could do a second wave to make up for the largely missed chunks of money that would have come from the deconfirmed characters if they were playable instead.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Could do a second wave to make up for the largely missed chunks of money that would have come from the deconfirmed characters if they were playable instead.
Or just save them for a future game. A bit crass but Nintendo probably doesn't want to entirely blow its proverbial load with this game. Characters like Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee, Ashley, Dixie, Shantae, etc aren't going anywhere and will likely still be in demand or even more so by Smash 6 if they miss the boat here.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Like others have said, Cloud is the face of FF. He is by far the most popular character from the series, and if you were going to rep FF as a whole, he would be the character to do it. Doesn't mater if his game was never on a nintendo console at the time.

Granted, we see know how little SE is willing to play ball with Sakurai though in terms of FF content. No spirits, no new music, CLoud didn't appear in a single trailer, they really charge way too much for that. I am surprised we are even getting a second SE rep given what we saw with how they handled FF stuff. Maybe SE is more willing to play ball with a Dragon quest character(who i honestly see being the top chance of all SE characters)

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
if there's a second wave there's no way shantae doesn't make it in

if they care at all about proving they really care about indies what better way to prove that than by putting shantae in the game

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
if there's a second wave there's no way shantae doesn't make it in

if they care at all about proving they really care about indies what better way to prove that than by putting shantae in the game as a playable character.
I feex'd it for you.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, the fact they put Indie content in Smash to begin with(which is more on Sakurai to a degree) shows they already care. It doesn't necessarily have to be playable to show they care. Besides that, they host a lot of Indie games on their system. They're proven they care quite a bit.

Shantae could easily be among the DLC options for Sakurai to choose from, though. There's a lot of options he could get. So who knows what'll happen. Her being highly relevant makes her fairly easy to license for another role, at least. So she has a pretty good chance in that sense(though more iconic characters could be higher priority. Sad to say, but she's a bit on the lower spectrum. Awesome character, though~).

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I saw some people debating somewhere that because it said in the last direct that spirits "can't return to the living world" that it deconfirms them as dlc but that quote i think applies more to the base story in adventure mode than anything else. Without a hard yes or no we can't say for certain but I lean more against that argument because a lot of that logic applies more to the base game and would needlessly limit character potential and creativity.

With dlc as long as it makes sense to add the character they should be fine. The bigger concern for me would be assist tropies. I mean it's always possible but they have to justify doing away with their earlier work making new models and animations.

Shantae still is in a good spot a lot of possible hints (very suspicious), support from matt and fans (wayforwards outspoken push for her in the ballot gives her a strong edge), good moveset potential and aesthetically works in smash, and an indie with great and unique history closely tied to Nintendo.

Stay positive!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Actually, the fact they put Indie content in Smash to begin with(which is more on Sakurai to a degree) shows they already care. It doesn't necessarily have to be playable to show they care. Besides that, they host a lot of Indie games on their system. They're proven they care quite a bit.

Shantae could easily be among the DLC options for Sakurai to choose from, though. There's a lot of options he could get. So who knows what'll happen. Her being highly relevant makes her fairly easy to license for another role, at least. So she has a pretty good chance in that sense(though more iconic characters could be higher priority. Sad to say, but she's a bit on the lower spectrum. Awesome character, though~).
Out of all characters probably yeah, but she is by far the best indie pick they could choose. Honestly, Shantae's chances go up if there is a Shantae game coming in the future that could be first one switch. If that happens or we hear about it, then Shantae's chances fly up

thing is who would they pick with more recent games and upcoming games off the table if not shantae?
Pyra and Mythra seem like the biggest pick nintendo can do for their 1st party choices atm. They had a huge game last year, they are insanely popular, and still had DLC up till september. Heck more DLC could come we don't know.

Shantae though is the best indie pick.

I saw some people debating somewhere that because it said in the last direct that spirits "can't return to the living world" that it deconfirms them as dlc but that quote i think applies more to the base story in adventure mode than anything else. Without a hard yes or no we can't say for certain but I lean more against that argument because a lot of that logic applies more to the base game and would needlessly limit character potential and creativity.

With dlc as long as it makes sense to add the character they should be fine. The bigger concern for me would be assist tropies. I mean it's always possible but they have to justify doing away with their earlier work making new models and animations.

Shantae still is in a good spot a lot of possible hints (very suspicious), support from matt and fans (wayforwards outspoken push for her in the ballot gives her a strong edge), good moveset potential and aesthetically works in smash, and an indie with great and unique history closely tied to Nintendo.

Stay positive!
Thats more a story thing, but I can see any spirit that becomes a character having that reflect into their reveal trailer, like seeing the spirit leave, and then regain their actual fighting body.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Out of all characters probably yeah, but she is by far the best indie pick they could choose. Honestly, Shantae's chances go up if there is a Shantae game coming in the future that could be first one switch. If that happens or we hear about it, then Shantae's chances fly up
I mean both HGH and Pirate’s Curse are already on the Switch so I don’t think a new game is really necessary to justify including her.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
The art that the characters in Smash Bros have... Is it Smash Bros exclusive or does it come from their respective games? Like was the art of Ryu from Street Fighter or was Mario's from any of the countless games he has?
If not, then Shantae's chances aren't affected by her spirit because Smash would have to make art specific to Smash. That spirit is her HGH iteration. If there was a worry about deconfirmation because she already has a spirit I think that fact that you can get duplicates counters that argument as well.
Has Matt or WF ever made a comment about how Shantae could fight in Smash? I would love to see their take.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The art that the characters in Smash Bros have... Is it Smash Bros exclusive or does it come from their respective games? Like was the art of Ryu from Street Fighter or was Mario's from any of the countless games he has?
If not, then Shantae's chances aren't affected by her spirit because Smash would have to make art specific to Smash. That spirit is her HGH iteration. If there was a worry about deconfirmation because she already has a spirit I think that fact that you can get duplicates counters that argument as well.
Has Matt or WF ever made a comment about how Shantae could fight in Smash? I would love to see their take.
I dont think those points based on the art amount to much,[edit]. But anyway in the end they're just images they took from official art. And spirits are just like advanced stickers, so we dont know what it means in terms of future playability.

This is what Matt said in the 2015 interview:
"Matt: I’m really excited about Shantae being a possibility for Smash! How cool would that be? Amazing, right? I think stylistically she’d be a good fit, being something that exists somewhere between Mega Man and Peach. I’d hope she could recover in Harpy form, or maybe pull off some incredible dance and transformation for her Final Smash! I would love to see this happen, and if not now, then some time in the future! "

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I dont think those points based on the art amount to much, and her spirit's image isn't from HGH. But anyway in the end they're just images they took
yes it is that image is directly from HGH just flipped horizontally

Teeb147

Smash Legend
yes it is that image is directly from HGH just flipped horizontally
I should've checked to make sure, I thought it was, at first, but somebody said it wasn't.

It's weird that HGH has both the chibier art as well as the one they used for her as spirit. In a way it can remind of pirate's curse design a bit.
Probably been talked about before, but this is just making me realize it more :O

Last edited:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Thats more a story thing, but I can see any spirit that becomes a character having that reflect into their reveal trailer, like seeing the spirit leave, and then regain their actual fighting body.
If we're referencing the in-game lore to discuss spirits it should be noted that "selling" spirits sends them back to the real world so it's not impossible for them to regain form to be playable.
Even from a game perspective fighter spirits exist as seen with Daisy so a former spirit could just be changed to a fighter variant or just deleted to make a fighter spirit with the 3-D model.
Sakurai talks about the pros and cons about spirits
https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-fu...ey-made-spirits-in-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

Here’s what all of you have been waiting for
Well that's a whole lot of non-statements but at least it's something.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
So, how is everyone? I'm currently considering that Shantae's chances are still pretty good. Nintendo choosing the dlc actually sounds promising, especially if they want to promote nindies, because then Shantae is the best choice.

D

Deleted member

So, how is everyone? I'm currently considering that Shantae's chances are still pretty good. Nintendo choosing the dlc actually sounds promising, especially if they want to promote nindies, because then Shantae is the best choice.
Good, how about yourself?

D

Deleted member

fine. you?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm doing good myself.

Not shantae related but had to share this Gif.

Daisy knows what she got.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I feel bad reminding myself Shantae doesnt have an actual bed but just sleeps in a hammock.

or a bathtub.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Um, here's some hugs then, for warmth. :)

*huggy*
Send over a few for those who live up north?

I feel bad reminding myself Shantae doesnt have an actual bed but just sleeps in a hammock.

or a bathtub.
I mean it seems like she’s fine with it and makes do with what she has.

Though that does bring up the question as to where she got the bed here:

789E825D-1E33-4DB8-8CD3-5F6A2A1C0962.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom