• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Eh? Isn't she actually playable and participating in the story of the former though?
I think he means how in indivisible she's 'like' a spirit, since Ajna has 'the ability to absorb certain individuals into her being'.
It's kinda different, especially since each characters is there in the team, but in premise it's similar, i guess.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Evening peeps.

Chiming in on incorporating Shantae's transformations into her moveset, how would you guys feel about partial transformations where she basically uses a particular ability without fully transforming? Kind of like Corrin I suppose. That way they wouldn't have to worry about swapping models every other move.

Her arms could become the Harpy wings to fly up as her up special. She could sprout a tail and perform the Monkey Bullet, fire Mermaid Bubbles, etc. So similar to Corrin as I said earlier, but also similar to Ness and Lucas I guess.

Not in the sense of transforming but in the sense that Shantae would use moves she technically doesn't normally have access to. They're her moves, but they belong to the specific forms. In Smash she could potentially just be able to use them naturally.

Stopping to dance and transform, and just the act of transforming itself isn't something that'd really lend itself well to the flow of trying to fight in an actual match of Smash so I think there'd need to be some creative liberties taken to try and reach a compromise.

Transformations could still be represented this way, but without some of the hassle that they otherwise might bring on the development side of things. And of course, with the new direction they took with Final Smashes, she could easily have full on proper transformations for that instead.

She could have a little cinematic where she uses several transformations in quick succession to do different attacks. For example, the actual Monkey Bullet as the initial hit to start the FS, followed by a barrage of Monkey Bullet attacks. Those lead into the Harpy taking the opponent(s) up into the sky where she then turns into the elephant to crush opponents beneath her as they drop back down.

idk, just an idea I had

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I don't care if it's as fast as Pokemon Trainer's new switching, it's still an unnecessary hurdle to go through just for a single move. Even he still has to make sure he's safe when switching, invincibility frames or no. And being able to jump doesn't change the fact the elephant has no upwards facing move, so anyone that jumps higher is completely safe from it.

Moving on... anyone stop to consider how similar Shantae's role in Indivisible ended up being to her role in Smash?
I don’t know what else to say about how to improve its safety, but I still listed two moves and a bunch of attributes like the elephant being more defense, so maybe it could can tank or shield or dash away from any attacks from above, or she could switch out/not use the elephant in that situation. Even if the elephant won’t be useful in that scenario, it would still be useful in others, just like the other forms I had in mind. I’m open to ways to improve my ideas but I’m still keeping the moves I have.

But fine, whatever, we can agree to disagree, I’d like to move on as well, I even posted in the original comment that I didn’t want to get into another transformation argument anyway.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Games she thinks Mimic and everyone would be disappointed in her for playing.
I would think she'd play something she thinks is cool, even if her friends think it's lame. Kinda like how she thinks "Ret-2-Go" is cool, but her friends think it's lame.

D

Deleted member

Guys I might have found the reason why shantae and SK fans are fighting each other

6C20FFF0-B43B-4872-A191-67793F5ED34E.jpeg

POOTIS

Bonus:

Just to let you all I love them both no worries.:)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I would think she'd play something she thinks is cool, even if her friends think it's lame. Kinda like how she thinks "Ret-2-Go" is cool, but her friends think it's lame.
That reminds me, I think I’ve mentioned it before briefly but an episode idea I had for my Shantae animated series was Shantae and Bolo being part of a DND styled game.

So Sky and Rotty notice Shantae and Bolo haven’t been around during a certain part of the week and Vinegar mentions that she hasn’t seen Twitch around that time as well. So those three find them going to Hypno Baron’s place and find out that Shantae, Bolo and Twitch have been secretly part of a tabletop game session with Squid Baron, Poe, Abner, and Chef Girl with Hypno Baron as the DM who conjures up illusions of the players’ avatars and maps. The three would be afraid that their friends would find this lame, (wouldn’t help that I see Rotty calling it a “nerd game” earlier on because she’s sick of hearing Poe talk about it so much) but seeing how much fun the group is having makes them want to join in as well.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
That reminds me, I think I’ve mentioned it before briefly but an episode idea I had for my Shantae animated series was Shantae and Bolo being part of a DND styled game.

So Sky and Rotty notice Shantae and Bolo haven’t been around during a certain part of the week and Vinegar mentions that she hasn’t seen Twitch around that time as well. So those three find them going to Hypno Baron’s place and find out that Shantae, Bolo and Twitch have been secretly part of a tabletop game session with Squid Baron, Poe, Abner, and Chef Girl with Hypno Baron as the DM who conjures up illusions of the players’ avatars and maps. The three would be afraid that their friends would find this lame, (wouldn’t help that I see Rotty calling it a “nerd game” earlier on because she’s sick of hearing Poe talk about it so much) but seeing how much fun the group is having makes them want to join in as well.
Okay, while I like the idea... I don't think just that, could make up an entire episode.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Okay, while I like the idea... I don't think just that, could make up an entire episode.
I mean Gravity Falls, MLP, and the new Voltron managed to make full episodes out of the D&D concept. Ok the first two dealt with the conflict of the characters getting sucked into the game, Voltron pretty much just took you through the campaign from the perspective of inside the game. Is there anything you think could expand the idea a bit more?

Also, this is for everyone, what kind of D&D characters do you think the Shantae cast would make?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Evening peeps.

Chiming in on incorporating Shantae's transformations into her moveset, how would you guys feel about partial transformations where she basically uses a particular ability without fully transforming? Kind of like Corrin I suppose. That way they wouldn't have to worry about swapping models every other move.

Her arms could become the Harpy wings to fly up as her up special. She could sprout a tail and perform the Monkey Bullet, fire Mermaid Bubbles, etc. So similar to Corrin as I said earlier, but also similar to Ness and Lucas I guess.

Not in the sense of transforming but in the sense that Shantae would use moves she technically doesn't normally have access to. They're her moves, but they belong to the specific forms. In Smash she could potentially just be able to use them naturally.

Stopping to dance and transform, and just the act of transforming itself isn't something that'd really lend itself well to the flow of trying to fight in an actual match of Smash so I think there'd need to be some creative liberties taken to try and reach a compromise.

Transformations could still be represented this way, but without some of the hassle that they otherwise might bring on the development side of things. And of course, with the new direction they took with Final Smashes, she could easily have full on proper transformations for that instead.

She could have a little cinematic where she uses several transformations in quick succession to do different attacks. For example, the actual Monkey Bullet as the initial hit to start the FS, followed by a barrage of Monkey Bullet attacks. Those lead into the Harpy taking the opponent(s) up into the sky where she then turns into the elephant to crush opponents beneath her as they drop back down.

idk, just an idea I had
Seeing half-transformations would be pretty neat, however we have Mr. Game & Watch who "transforms" with almost every move he makes now so I don't think the hurdle of changing models is that large to overcome. Heck, even Corrin transforms fully in some of his throws.

My ideas aren't far from yours, in the sense she has limited access to her transformation abilities throughout her moveset. But by using a special dance move, a particular transformation gets powered up for a while, buffing moves and actions associated with it. For example, the monkey form is her dash and dash attack is Monkey Bullet. Using the monkey dance makes the dash faster and powers up the dash attack.

I feel this concept would be good not just for Smash, but Shantae games in general. It's well known that Pirate's Curse is generally considered the most fun Shantae game to play due to the pirate gear being more fluid and versatile. Because that isn't typical Shantae play however, it's unlikely she herself will use them again, leaving her with comparatively clunky transformations. But if you had access to the base abilities of those transformations without dancing for them, it would solve the fluidity aspect when exploring, and, you can keep Shantae's defining feature of dancing by using them to access powered up forms, that have the base abilities plus more combat traits, giving more ways to play.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
It’s alright dude, you didn’t know, I mean my idea isn’t 100% complete so I don’t blame you for asking. But yeah I wouldn’t mind some help fleshing out this and any other ideas I have if you’d like to.
Nah, you're definitely much better than me at this kind of stuff, I wouldn't be able of any help at all. Unless, maybe you had some ideas, which were centred around Rottytops, that is. I may be alright in that field...

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Also, this is for everyone, what kind of D&D characters do you think the Shantae cast would make?
Funny you should ask that. I made similar questions during the HGH kickstarter and on the forums.

Shantae: Bard, Druid and Sorcerer come to mind. Genasi and (Half-)Elf.
Sky: Ranger (and maybe the occasional Shaman or Druid)
Bolo: Fighter or Monk
Rottytops: Rogue and Assassin. Revenant.
Mimic: Artificer or Wizard. Dorf.
Risky Boots: Fighter/Rogue multiclass/dualclass or some sort of Anti-Paladin/Blackguard. Human with bloodline, Tiefling or Revenant(/Necropolitan or other undead themed race to tie into some long abandoned concepts)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Funny you should ask that. I made similar questions during the HGH kickstarter and on the forums.

Shantae: Bard, Druid and Sorcerer come to mind. Genasi and (Half-)Elf.
Sky: Ranger (and maybe the occasional Shaman or Druid)
Bolo: Fighter or Monk
Rottytops: Rogue and Assassin. Revenant.
Mimic: Artificer or Wizard. Dorf.
Risky Boots: Fighter/Rogue multiclass/dualclass or some sort of Anti-Paladin/Blackguard. Human with bloodline, Tiefling or Revenant(/Necropolitan or other undead themed race to tie into some long abandoned concepts)
Alright, that is very much appreciated! Thank you! I can see a lot of those working! Got anything for Twitch, Abner, Poe, Squid Baron or Chef Girl as well as their species for everyone? Only thing I got is Squid Baron as a Bard and Chef Girl having an animal companion to fill in for Wobble Bell (I’m thinking a bear called Wobble Bear)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
"Wobble Bear", huh? I really hope that becomes canon... :p
Yeah, if I get the chance to official work on an animated Shantae series and the episode gets approved, I’ll make it canon.

...also before anyone else catches on, I’m just gonna get it out of the way and say that it’s a Critical Role reference to Laura Bailey’s character of Vex in the first campaign and her bear Trinket.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Alright, that is very much appreciated! Thank you! I can see a lot of those working! Got anything for Twitch, Abner, Poe, Squid Baron or Chef Girl as well as their species for everyone? Only thing I got is Squid Baron as a Bard and Chef Girl having an animal companion to fill in for Wobble Bell (I’m thinking a bear called Wobble Bear)
You're welcome.
Unless specified I go with human (Sky might go for (Half-)Elf).

Twitch: Artificer. Halfling or Gnome
Vinegar: Artificer and multiclassed to either Fighter or Rogue. Goliath?
Squid Baron: Hmmmm... Druid (special build) or Sorcerer. Bard works too. For race? Tako or Kraken? Aboleth for a laugh.
Techno Baron: Kobold Artificer.
Hypno Baron: Psion. Lich or custom theme Shardmind.
Chef Girl: Druid or Ranger with multiclass into Bard. Halfling?
Abner: Revenant Rogue/Fighter.
Poe: Revenant Artificer/Rogue.

Bath-house Lady: Cleric.
SquidSmith: Cleric or Druid. Goliath?

I think that's most of them.

Oh, yeah, and while you're at it, put a character into the canon, who shares my name, and make them Rottytops' love interest. :p
Remember the Power Puff Girls rebooot?

Found this hidden gem on YouTube.

I saw that earlier. Should have posted it. Fun little parody.

A great video, but there were many spelling and grammar errors, which sort of took away from it all.
Duwang tier typing for this parody.

Top Bottom