• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Sometimes I've heard We Love Burning Town used as background music in a video, but I haven't ever heard Run Run Rottytops anywhere. Do you remember any videos that use it as background music?
The credits theme for a popular (and pretty dang well made) SFM/GMOD video, Gorgeous Freeman, uses a remix of Run Run Rottytops at the end of the second episode. I also heard the Scorching Dunes theme in the middle of a Team Fortress 2 video as well.

Word of warning (and this is why im not posting it here), Gorgeous Freeman is a tad... saucy as a parody. It's pretty funny, but it isn't something you'd show your grandma.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
We are now weeks away from Ultimate's release. Tomorrow is Let's Go games release date.

I can't wait to see what new things we are getting for the next few months.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The credits theme for a popular (and pretty dang well made) SFM/GMOD video, Gorgeous Freeman, uses a remix of Run Run Rottytops at the end of the second episode. I also heard the Scorching Dunes theme in the middle of a Team Fortress 2 video as well.

Word of warning (and this is why im not posting it here), Gorgeous Freeman is a tad... saucy as a parody. It's pretty funny, but it isn't something you'd show your grandma.
Oh, well, I've definitely seen Gorgeous Freeman...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Now thats a cute shantae. If she is in smash I hope thats an alt color. But man they had Elephant form be MASSIVE!

Have a picture from a patreon I follow.

I'm getting real tired of these pieces of art portraying Shantae dissing Piranha Plant. Not only does it perpetuate the slot-stealing misconception, but an important part of her character is tolerance of others, regardless of differences.

D

Deleted member

I'm getting real tired of these pieces of art portraying Shantae dissing Piranha Plant. Not only does it perpetuate the slot-stealing misconception, but an important part of her character is tolerance of others, regardless of differences.
That’s not tolerating her

this is....
A0808E90-C95B-48BF-93FA-F4AB543823EC.jpeg

That’s tolerating her right here. she doesn’t deserve all this hate you know.

Now if you excuse me I’m gonna find whoever made this and smash him

Last edited by a moderator:

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Actually i think bowsette is dissing the plant here, not shantae.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Now thats a cute shantae. If she is in smash I hope thats an alt color. But man they had Elephant form be MASSIVE!

Man, Bowsette seems to have forgotten that she's in Smash...... granted it's without the super crown, so I guess she's sad that can't be as fabulous (only by 1% off anyway).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I like the art, but I just have one thing to say about the possibly circumstance behind this picture...

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
Sometimes I've heard We Love Burning Town used as background music in a video, but I haven't ever heard Run Run Rottytops anywhere. Do you remember any videos that use it as background music?
I'm fairly certain that the youtuber Mother's Basement uses Run Run Rottytops at one point during his worst scene in SAO video.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I just hope sakurai and his team haven’t hit a creative block with Shantaes moveset. I’ll admit that making the transformations part of it would be a challenge to be fluid and streamlined into smash and I wonder if he will go with her pirates curse version where Shantae didn’t have magic.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I just hope sakurai and his team haven’t hit a creative block with Shantaes moveset. I’ll admit that making the transformations part of it would be a challenge to be fluid and streamlined into smash and I wonder if he will go with her pirates curse version where Shantae didn’t have magic.
I’m sure considering how many people have worked on movesets for her and his team has been able to make many other characters work, I don’t think they’ll have much of a problem making her work. In case you’re interested, I’ve reposted my moveset ideas for her on the previous page.

D

Deleted member

Guys shantae as dlc would be a smart move and that spirit would be a tease

On the other note

I was so wrong about :ultken: and :ultincineroar: here’s what I expected them to look like in a bad way

starting with The man Barbie doll........

This is literally what I expected ken to look like. banana hair ken.and I was dumb to overlook that ken leak. he would mostly be a copy of :ultryu: with just the same moves that get edited but not new ones and boi was I wrong I’m just glad sakurai did this and not capcom

And now with Tony the Tiger.......

I’ve expected him to copy moves from the sun and moon games without the wrestling parts that’s why I said he would be bland and I felt he wouldn’t be a reference to the anime but boi was I wrong again it turns out sakurai wanted another wrestler fighter and he picked him because of the anime. and I felt like he was a bad guy due to the 20th Pokémon movie and his trainer is **** so yeah.....I’m wrong to infinity And I will be wrong about Steve soon.

I hope.

Will you all forgive me?:(

I think so after all it was the first shantae game to be localized in Japan

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
All things considered I feel Sakurai's 20 years of experience with the game definitely expanded his creative mind more than we give him credit for.

While I admit I'm having trouble thinking of a fluid moveset for Shantae I would've said the same thing for Villager Duck Hunt and Piranha plant before they were released.

I mean he made a character whose entire moveset is YOGA POSES so I feel Sakurai would be able to whip up something even if her games aren't enough.

Thankfully you reminded me of this masterpiece.
we need more Terry Crews commercials.

D

Deleted member

D

Deleted member

Well, this is certainly neat.
Lol no lax Chris I’m happy

Along with SK and shantae I don’t get why the SK fans don’t like her because SK is better and here’s one thing to learn about if shantae Didn’t exist then so won’t SK that’s one thing to learn about they’re both indie icons and they’re friends just be happy with the genie and the knight together:)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Lol no lax Chris I’m happy

Along with SK and shantae I don’t get why the SK fans don’t like her because SK is better and here’s one thing to learn about if shantae Didn’t exist then so won’t SK that’s one thing to learn about they’re both indie icons and they’re friends just be happy with the genie and the knight together:)
Also, Shantae is considered to be the older sister for shovel knight since some of Yacht Club's members were former Wayforward employees

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
All things considered I feel Sakurai's 20 years of experience with the game definitely expanded his creative mind more than we give him credit for.

While I admit I'm having trouble thinking of a fluid moveset for Shantae I would've said the same thing for Villager Duck Hunt and Piranha plant before they were released.

I mean he made a character whose entire moveset is YOGA POSES so I feel Sakurai would be able to whip up something even if her games aren't enough.
I feel fairly confident Sakurai would put his own twist on Shantae's moves, instead of replicating how they work as closely as possible. I say this because of how he's handled transformation characters here. In Smash 4 it was believed transformations were removed simply due to 3DS system limitations. Yet even though there was nothing stopping him here, only Pokemon Trainer got it back. Heck, he even went and made Zelda further distinguished from Sheik. Because of this I feel he wants Pokemon Trainer to be the sole user of that playstyle; with the limiting factors from Brawl removed it would just lead to a crazed arms race for anyone else to try and replicate that, with those having more or less transformations instantly being better or worse than their transforming competitors.

I see Shantae's transformations being included as part of her base moveset, with the dancing used to buff certain parts.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I feel fairly confident Sakurai would put his own twist on Shantae's moves, instead of replicating how they work as closely as possible. I say this because of how he's handled transformation characters here. In Smash 4 it was believed transformations were removed simply due to 3DS system limitations. Yet even though there was nothing stopping him here, only Pokemon Trainer got it back. Heck, he even went and made Zelda further distinguished from Sheik. Because of this I feel he wants Pokemon Trainer to be the sole user of that playstyle; with the limiting factors from Brawl removed it would just lead to a crazed arms race for anyone else to try and replicate that, with those having more or less transformations instantly being better or worse than their transforming competitors.

I see Shantae's transformations being included as part of her base moveset, with the dancing used to buff certain parts.
Its a good view of Sakurai's potential route if she is included as part of the DLC fighter, but right now its Nintendo that made the calls of who is getting in. Its a gamble if one's wish is granted or heartbroken once more (even if it hurts repeated 5 times.)

D

Deleted member

Its a good view of Sakurai's potential route if she is included as part of the DLC fighter, but right now its Nintendo that made the calls of who is getting in. Its a gamble if one's wish is granted or heartbroken once more (even if it hurts repeated 5 times.)
N I N D I E S

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Putting aside that mentality not boding well for my girl Cynthia adapting the Pokémon Changing mechanic, I honestly don’t believe that’s the case. I’d say it was more that Charizard needed to lose his solo status in order for Pokémon Trainer to return and there wasn’t any need to do the same for Zelda/Sheik or Samus/ZSS since nothing major was lost. Remember that Sakurai said he prioritized bringing everyone back and while he could’ve made Squirtle and Ivysaur their own fighters, there would’ve been no use for PT himself. Neither Sheik nor ZSS were dropped from the roster so there wasn’t any need for them to go back.

Even if it’s not an exact transition, I don’t believe Sakurai would just throw how a mechanic works in its source game right out the window without seeing how he could make it work for a fighter. From what I’ve seen, Sakurai wants to make the characters feel as close to their original counterparts as possible within this environment, especially third-party ones. It’s hard to tell what exactly he’d do if she’s picked, but I don’t think it’s fair to rule out those possibilities just yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After all we been through why make her a spirit when she has a great moveset? And why not make her an AT in the first place like SK?

Other than the retweeting why is wf still quiet after her spirit reveal and why not say no she is not dlc? idk can someone see if they’re still talking about smash related stuff?

I don’t get everything

Dukefire

Smash Master
While its not Shantae related, this is from me tonight. Also, Pokemon Let's Pikachu/Eevee is coming tomorrow.

Artist: YumYumCorn
ness_by_yumyumcorn-dcs2zpt.jpg

Top Bottom