• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

I looked at her last post on here and she was fighting pichu about steve, not connor from what I could tell. Still, I have no idea why everyone was fighting so much about steve that day...
It must be because verge?
I mean, it's the most likely conclusion I could come to, since Connor is the reason both "Paragon-Yoshi", and "SoupCanMafia", left.
All right that’s it!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well guys we can all relax. Katalina is not going to be part of the Smash Ultimate DLC.

""Source (Senjougahara__Hitagi):

https://www.reddit.com/user/Senjoug.../just_a_quick_update_not_answering_questions/

"I will not be releasing info until I have confirmed with my sources. I am VERY UPFRONT, when it comes to what I know. I will not, however, tell everything I know. This is for legal, personal, and insider reasons. Furthermore, it is not worth mentioning to everyone something is probably false. I made a mistake with Katalina, thinking she was confirmed, and at this point, a lot of things are pointing to the deal not being about smash, but something more than that now. I will go into more detail in the updated thread in the future about that, but for now, please be patient.""

D

Deleted member

Well guys we can all relax. Katalina is not going to be part of the Smash Ultimate DLC.

https://www.reddit.com/user/Senjoug.../just_a_quick_update_not_answering_questions/

"I will not be releasing info until I have confirmed with my sources. I am VERY UPFRONT, when it comes to what I know. I will not, however, tell everything I know. This is for legal, personal, and insider reasons. Furthermore, it is not worth mentioning to everyone something is probably false. I made a mistake with Katalina, thinking she was confirmed, and at this point, a lot of things are pointing to the deal not being about smash, but something more than that now. I will go into more detail in the updated thread in the future about that, but for now, please be patient.""
>backpedaling

Yep I think she’s starting to troll us

zferolie

Smash Hero

Well interesting. But man, it seems Hitagi was not expecting just how... bat**** insane the smash fandom is for news, COuldn't take all the constant barrage of stuff.

Not saying that they should be able to take it, there are WAY too many entitled smash fans out there that just go nuts over any small taste of leaks and leakers and swarm them like a school of pirahna.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Update to my Final Roster thing(forgot a few characters lol)

1542222152942.png

Man I wish the guys could have given us an option of how these things looks. Oh well.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Got my roster thing. Probably gonna start here and Branch out.
Screenshot_20181103-105006_Chrome.jpg

Oh, and I guess I can't forget about her when she's revealed ;)

Shantae_4.png

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Posting our rosters? Alright, here comes a big one. Top row is characters I will definitely play, the rest are curiosities/potentials:
UltimatePlans.png
If you look closely you might see where my priorities tend to lie.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Posting our rosters? Alright, here comes a big one. Top row is characters I will definitely play, the rest are curiosities/potentials:
If you look closely you might see where my priorities tend to lie.
Your priorities are awesome female ladies. I apprecheate that. Honestly I main ALL the ladies, but i wanted to only put 6 on my list :)

Wii Fit trainer is someone I really want to do better with. I loved her when she was first revealed,

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
I was going to make one of those nice images too, but then I realized that I have way too many characters I want to mess around with.

I'm roughly thinking:

Characters I'm pretty much guaranteed to use a lot:
:ultbowser::ultdk::ultkrool::ultryu::ultken::ultsheik::ultwolf::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultike:

New characters I am especially interested in exploring:
:ultsimon::ultrichter::ultinkling::ultridley::ultchrom:

Returning characters I am especially interested in re-exploring (most of these I already play around with a lot in Smash 4):

:ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultmario::ultluigi::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultpalutena::ultmarth::ultjigglypuff:

Characters I might try now whom I didn't use much before because I was annoyed at out how busted they were:
:ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Instant new main if she ever makes it as DLC, fingers crossed:

Part of the reason my list is so long is that this is a new game, and there are so many characters to explore. Naturally, it will take some time to settle in on a new set of favorites.

Also though, I don't have any real ambition right now of attending tournaments or playing at a serious competitive level, and unfortunately I don't have any Smash buddies who challenge me very much. As such, I don't feel any pressure to focus on mastering one main plus a few secondaries. Since I find so many different characters to be so much fun, I figure, why not just enjoy the variety the game has to offer?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

36DBEE57-C638-4877-BED5-34A58F09F2EA.jpeg

I made mine

red:mains
blue:secondary’s
yellow:fighters that I’m interested in trying out

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Connorb0t2 and Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy Please take your issues to PM's and not this thread.

In addition, please don't accuse people of things. If there is an issue, please report it or ask a Moderator for help. Don't take it upon yourself to call someone out on that type of stuff. It's fine to call someone out on a bad argument(in a respectful manner, of course). But accusing others of things does not help and creates more unnecessary drama on this thread.

--------------------

Beyond that, please avoid double posting, media-only(that includes pictures) replies, and try to keep on-topic. The thread has derailed a lot lately, and not simply discussing a random leak once in a while. A lot of stuff isn't remotely related to Shantae or Smash.

Dukefire

Smash Master
This is the 10 fighters on my list for Smash Ultimate.

Though it is subject to change later on.

Capture.PNG

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was going to make one of those nice images too, but then I realized that I have way too many characters I want to mess around with.

I'm roughly thinking:

Characters I'm pretty much guaranteed to use a lot:
:ultbowser::ultdk::ultkrool::ultryu::ultken::ultsheik::ultwolf::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultike:

New characters I am especially interested in exploring:
:ultsimon::ultrichter::ultinkling::ultridley::ultchrom:

Returning characters I am especially interested in re-exploring (most of these I already play around with a lot in Smash 4):

:ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultmario::ultluigi::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultpalutena::ultmarth::ultjigglypuff:

Characters I might try now whom I didn't use much before because I was annoyed at out how busted they were:
:ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Instant new main if she ever makes it as DLC, fingers crossed:

Part of the reason my list is so long is that this is a new game, and there are so many characters to explore. Naturally, it will take some time to settle in on a new set of favorites.

Also though, I don't have any real ambition right now of attending tournaments or playing at a serious competitive level, and unfortunately I don't have any Smash buddies who challenge me very much. As such, I don't feel any pressure to focus on mastering one main plus a few secondaries. Since I find so many different characters to be so much fun, I figure, why not just enjoy the variety the game has to offer?
Ditto.

Previous mains as listed under my profile:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultgnw::ultmegaman::ultmewtwo:

The heavies (always drawn to heavy hitters in fighting games):

:ultdk::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultryu::ultbowser:

The returning vets:

:ultpokemontrainer::ultpichu::ultwolf:

The newcomers:

:ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultincineroar::ultkrool:

The Smash 4 favourites:

:ultsamus::ultduckhunt::ultpalutena::ultshulk::ultzelda::ultbowserjr::ultdoc:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see the Daisy love from this thread ^^

Also, I know it's very unlikely, but I'd looooove to get an Ocopath Traveler newcomer in the person of Primrose :

She reminds me of Shantae for her bellydancing of course ^^

And another girl I like in a similar style to Shantae is FZero's Princia Ramode, who is as likely as me becoming a fighter xD :

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
What if they want to promote indies?
That's definitely a possibility given Shantae's relationship with Nintendo but, like I said, it's a company and trying to predict the thoughts and decisions of a company is about as accurate as a drunk playing darts on game day.
I guess they could change her original outfit indeed to make her more "appropriate" and/or give her a new more "conservative" one. They did alter Peach's dress style just for the smash games after all ^^
Yet Zero Suit and Shulk have clothing that only covers the bare minimum and that still garners an E10 rating. Besides if they were worried about sexualized characters Bayonetta wouldn't be in period.

D

Deleted member

529390B3-F2AA-4B27-A891-58DE9CF06833.jpeg

Found this as a thumbnail in YouTube

Edit:Can someone post something please I need to post something you all might wanna see

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's interesting to see the different characters you all plan to be using.

I added a few potentials I want to look into on mine, but I wont repost it, it's pretty much the same but I want to explore a lot at first too.
There's like 17 characters I'm bound to use, and im curious which characters i'll end up focusing on more.

And if someone like shantae makes it in, well it'll change for sure :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now we might know that the shantae hip bumping daisy is impossible now that she can’t be moved to the right thanks to Barbie doll made for boys and daisy could just be looking at simons beefy mucles. so that is out of the picture.
C8A5EE9D-72B9-479E-A6A7-744B73D7E957.jpeg

So moving on to plan B shantae could be placed by zss because of her and shantaes spirit and I see a gap between zss and ness so it would make sense to put her next to here because of similarity’s the ponytail the spirit reference and their genre
3BE0BD42-150C-4EAE-9D97-3FEED32723F0.jpeg

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I recently updated my moveset a bit, mainly just changed up the throws I had, but it's been a while since I posted my moveset ideas and I wouldn't mind getting some more feedback on them:

On-screen Entrance: Shantae flies in with Sky on Wrench and hops onto the stage saying "Ret-2-Go!"

Neutral Attack: whips her hair to attack up to 3-times in succession (Both the down tilt and neutral aerial also use the hair whip)
Dash Attack: Slides forward with her feet up (Rottytops race from GBC game)
Forward Tilt: Power Kick from Pirate’s Curse
Up Tilt: She manually pushes her ponytail upward to have it whip opponents from above

Forward Smash: Elbow dash from the first Shantae game, propels her forward a good distance
Down Smash: Puts her hands together and shakes her hips forward then backward (uses the dance mapped to the A button in the first game/elephant dance from Risky’s Revenge)
Up Smash: 2-hit spin kick from the first Shantae game, the kick could potentially knock any opponents in front of her upwards to get hit by the somersault

Forward Aerial: Based off her twirl attack from the first game, she spins around ballerina style with her hair hitting opponents as she twirls around. Propels her forward in the air
Back Aerial: Uses a short-range Flamethrower, hits multiple times
Up Aerial: In a pose similar to her Half-Genie Hero artwork, she thrusts her hand upward with a Fireball in her hand
Down Aerial: The drill attack from the first game, similar to Sonic’s Down air, but can hit an opponent more than once.

Grab: non-tether grab and she pummels her opponent by using her hip.
Forward Throw: She pulls out her scimitar and dashes into her opponent
Back Throw: Throws her opponent behind her and slashes at them with her scimitar
Up Throw: Tosses her opponent up while holding her scimitar above her head similar to the Pirate’s Curse artwork, then slashes it forward in an arc.
Down throw: Throws her opponent to the ground and pogo bounces on them with her scimitar

Neutral Special: Transformation Dance, similar to Half-Genie Hero, Shantae dances and activates a selection of transformations around her and must select a direction to transform similar to Shulk’s new Monado Arts activation (lasts for 10-15 sec., shield and B to cancel out) Each Transformation would have one attack and one special attack

Forward-Monkey (Low Damage and more taken, High Jump, Wall Climb)
Attack: Monkey Claw (arching slash, can be used to juggle opponents)
Special: Monkey Bullet (weak but fast dash, slightly slower than Fox Illusion)

Down-Elephant (Low Speed and Jump, High Knockback and Less Taken)
Attack: Elephant Dash (slow but powerful dash attack)
Special: Elephant Stomp (high knockback)

Back-Spider (double jump allows her to use webbing to pull herself up if a surface is above, also capable of grabbing enemies and pulling them to her to jump off of)
Attack: Spider Leg (performs an uppercut with her frontal leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy in HGH, effectively attacks enemies above her)
Special: Spider Venom (continuously deals damage similar to flowers)

Up-Harpy (Less Traction and Floaty, Multiple Jumps)
Attack: Harpy Talon (overhead slash, potential meteor smash)
Special: Harpy Feather (low damage, but can fire multiple at a time)

Side Special: Triple Fireball-shoots out three fire balls-one straight forward, one angled upward, and one angled down.

Up Special: Storm Puff-summons a Storm Puff to hang on to as it floats upwards for a bit, the puff will send thunder down at its peak and disappear after. She can jump off at any time, but if she hangs on too long she’ll be shocked off in the direction she’s facing (no damage).

Down Special: Pike Ball-similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, one Pike Ball revolves around Shantae. It lasts a bit longer but can’t be thrown.

Final Smash: Half-Genie’s Power: To start, Shantae would transform into the mermaid to trap her opponents in bubbles which would gather into one, then all her main transformations from HGH (Mermaid, Spider, Harpy, Monkey, and if they have time to model them out: Crab, Bat, and Mouse) fly back and forth across the screen to attack the captured opponents, and finally she’d fly up off-screen to smash the opponents to the ground with the giant elephant and send them flying. (inspired by several attacks Shantae uses for her boss at the end of Pirate Queen’s Quest) The background of the stage would change to resemble the Genie Realm from HGH.

Her taunts would consist of some of the belly dances from the GBA game, specifically the ones mapped to the D-Pad (potential Easter egg could have you transform to a Tinkerbat for a moment when you put in the button combination for that dance)

Idle Animations:
-Straightening out her hair like in Pirate’s Curse
-Places her hand on her hip and puts out her finger to create a dancing flame (cover art for Risky’s Revenge)
-Imitates Rottytop’s idle stance for a bit

Victory Animations:
-Spinning around in midair like she does when she completes a stage from her games
-Her flying in her monkey form to grab a gem, then transforming back to perform a dance (like in Super Shantae NAB)
-Landing from a jump and performing her Stage Clear pose from HGH

(just as a bit of a disclaimer, I don't want to spark any more arguments on the representation of her transformations in general, so I'd appreciate it if those points were kept to a minimum or made in a mutually respectful way)

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Has anyone else noticed that, after playing a Shantae game or two (especially Pirates Curse or Half-Genie Hero) you start to hear youtubers use the soundtrack in a lot of videos? I've heard quite a few use music such as Run Run Rottytops, We Love Burning Town, or multiple area themes as background music, even in completely different games (like a Team Fortress 2 video).

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Has anyone else noticed that, after playing a Shantae game or two (especially Pirates Curse or Half-Genie Hero) you start to hear youtubers use the soundtrack in a lot of videos? I've heard quite a few use music such as Run Run Rottytops, We Love Burning Town, or multiple area themes as background music, even in completely different games (like a Team Fortress 2 video).
Sometimes I've heard We Love Burning Town used as background music in a video, but I haven't ever heard Run Run Rottytops anywhere. Do you remember any videos that use it as background music?

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'll tell you what I have noticed: most of the time when I look up videos specifically Nintendo related, I keep getting an ad for Shantae Ultimate Edition.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hmm, I just had an idea. What if there was a... Shantae comic?

Similar to Wademan94 Wademan94 's proposed animated series, it could progressively tell the story of the games, while taking it's own unique spin on things, in certain aspects... I dunno, just a thought. :)
Right, I forgot to comment on this earlier, but yeah I could see something like this happening as well, I like that we can see the potential of this series to expand into other forms of media, and to be honest I think a lot of ideas I have to adapt certain parts of the games into an animated format could also work in a comic format as well with a bit of adjustment.

I'll tell you what I have noticed: most of the time when I look up videos specifically Nintendo related, I keep getting an ad for Shantae Ultimate Edition.
CBC6D30F-9331-4DDE-AE19-BCB3AA38649A.jpeg

(No I’m not sure why he’s so small)

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't have anything for tonight, but I'll leave this smash fact for Sonic's change in ultimate.

Capture+_2018-11-15-02-48-18.png

Top Bottom