• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Putting aside that mentality not boding well for my girl Cynthia adapting the Pokémon Changing mechanic, I honestly don’t believe that’s the case. I’d say it was more that Charizard needed to lose his solo status in order for Pokémon Trainer to return and there wasn’t any need to do the same for Zelda/Sheik or Samus/ZSS since nothing major was lost. Remember that Sakurai said he prioritized bringing everyone back and while he could’ve made Squirtle and Ivysaur their own fighters, there would’ve been no use for PT himself. Neither Sheik nor ZSS were dropped from the roster so there wasn’t any need for them to go back.

Even if it’s not an exact transition, I don’t believe Sakurai would just throw how a mechanic works in its source game right out the window without seeing how he could make it work for a fighter. From what I’ve seen, Sakurai wants to make the characters feel as close to their original counterparts as possible within this environment, especially third-party ones. It’s hard to tell what exactly he’d do if she’s picked, but I don’t think it’s fair to rule out those possibilities just yet.
But that brings up the question: where do her transformations fit into her moveset? If you want to be faithful to the games it would be reasonable to allocate the transformations to specific attacks. All of her transformations are utility and serve a specific purpose (breaking walls, climbing, swimming, flying, etc) while her human form is the primary damage dealing form. Each form only has 1-2 attacks so it would be hard enough to make a complete character.

Even if the transformations were stand-alone fighters like pokemon trainer, which ones would be used and cut? How would swapping between forms work? Will it be faithful to the series and freeze time as she dances or will it function like monado arts? It's not impossible but it just seems like a lot of work to make them separate when their made to work in unison. The whole is more than the sum of it's parts sort of deal.

After all we been through why make her a spirit when she has a great moveset? And why not make her an AT in the first place like SK?

Other than the retweeting why is wf still quiet after her spirit reveal and why not say no she is not dlc? idk can someone see if they’re still talking about smash related stuff?

I don’t get everything
I prefer having Shantae in Spirit Purgatory over Assist Trophy Hell any day of the week. At least this way we can pretend to play as her.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
But that brings up the question: where do her transformations fit into her moveset? If you want to be faithful to the games it would be reasonable to allocate the transformations to specific attacks. All of her transformations are utility and serve a specific purpose (breaking walls, climbing, swimming, flying, etc) while her human form is the primary damage dealing form. Each form only has 1-2 attacks so it would be hard enough to make a complete character.

Even if the transformations were stand-alone fighters like pokemon trainer, which ones would be used and cut? How would swapping between forms work? Will it be faithful to the series and freeze time as she dances or will it function like monado arts? It's not impossible but it just seems like a lot of work to make them separate when their made to work in unison. The whole is more than the sum of it's parts sort of deal.
If you wanna see how I’ve interpreted it, here’s my up-to-date moveset ideas:
On-screen Entrance: Shantae flies in with Sky on Wrench and hops onto the stage saying "Ret-2-Go!"

Neutral Attack: whips her hair to attack up to 3-times in succession (Both the down tilt and neutral aerial also use the hair whip)
Dash Attack: Slides forward with her feet up (Rottytops race from GBC game)
Forward Tilt: Power Kick from Pirate’s Curse
Up Tilt: She manually pushes her ponytail upward to have it whip opponents from above

Forward Smash: Elbow dash from the first Shantae game, propels her forward a good distance
Down Smash: Puts her hands together and shakes her hips forward then backward (uses the dance mapped to the A button in the first game/elephant dance from Risky’s Revenge)
Up Smash: 2-hit spin kick from the first Shantae game, the kick could potentially knock any opponents in front of her upwards to get hit by the somersault

Forward Aerial: Based off her twirl attack from the first game, she spins around ballerina style with her hair hitting opponents as she twirls around. Propels her forward in the air
Back Aerial: Uses a short-range Flamethrower, hits multiple times
Up Aerial: In a pose similar to her Half-Genie Hero artwork, she thrusts her hand upward with a Fireball in her hand
Down Aerial: The drill attack from the first game, similar to Sonic’s Down air, but can hit an opponent more than once.

Grab: non-tether grab and she pummels her opponent by using her hip.
Forward Throw: She pulls out her scimitar and dashes into her opponent
Back Throw: Throws her opponent behind her and slashes at them with her scimitar
Up Throw: Tosses her opponent up while holding her scimitar above her head similar to the Pirate’s Curse artwork, then slashes it forward in an arc.
Down throw: Throws her opponent to the ground and pogo bounces on them with her scimitar

Neutral Special: Transformation Dance, similar to Half-Genie Hero, Shantae dances and activates a selection of transformations around her and must select a direction to transform similar to Shulk’s new Monado Arts activation (lasts for 10-15 sec., shield and B to cancel out) Each Transformation would have one attack and one special attack

Forward-Monkey (Low Damage and more taken, High Jump, Wall Climb)
Attack: Monkey Claw (arching slash, can be used to juggle opponents)
Special: Monkey Bullet (weak but fast dash, slightly slower than Fox Illusion)

Down-Elephant (Low Speed and Jump, High Knockback and Less Taken)
Attack: Elephant Dash (slow but powerful dash attack)
Special: Elephant Stomp (high knockback)

Back-Spider (double jump allows her to use webbing to pull herself up if a surface is above, also capable of grabbing enemies and pulling them to her to jump off of)
Attack: Spider Leg (performs an uppercut with her frontal leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy in HGH, effectively attacks enemies above her)
Special: Spider Venom (continuously deals damage similar to flowers)

Up-Harpy (Less Traction and Floaty, Multiple Jumps)
Attack: Harpy Talon (overhead slash, potential meteor smash)
Special: Harpy Feather (low damage, but can fire multiple at a time)

Side Special: Triple Fireball-shoots out three fire balls-one straight forward, one angled upward, and one angled down.

Up Special: Storm Puff-summons a Storm Puff to hang on to as it floats upwards for a bit, the puff will send thunder down at its peak and disappear after. She can jump off at any time, but if she hangs on too long she’ll be shocked off in the direction she’s facing (no damage).

Down Special: Pike Ball-similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, one Pike Ball revolves around Shantae. It lasts a bit longer but can’t be thrown.

Final Smash: Half-Genie’s Power: To start, Shantae would transform into the mermaid to trap her opponents in bubbles which would gather into one, then all her main transformations from HGH (Mermaid, Spider, Harpy, Monkey, and if they have time to model them out: Crab, Bat, and Mouse) fly back and forth across the screen to attack the captured opponents, and finally she’d fly up off-screen to smash the opponents to the ground with the giant elephant and send them flying. (inspired by several attacks Shantae uses for her boss at the end of Pirate Queen’s Quest) The background of the stage would change to resemble the Genie Realm from HGH.

Her taunts would consist of some of the belly dances from the GBA game, specifically the ones mapped to the D-Pad (potential Easter egg could have you transform to a Tinkerbat for a moment when you put in the button combination for that dance)

Idle Animations:
-Straightening out her hair like in Pirate’s Curse
-Places her hand on her hip and puts out her finger to create a dancing flame (cover art for Risky’s Revenge)
-Imitates Rottytop’s idle stance for a bit

Victory Animations:
-Spinning around in midair like she does when she completes a stage from her games
-Her flying in her monkey form to grab a gem, then transforming back to perform a dance (like in Super Shantae NAB)
-Landing from a jump and performing her Stage Clear pose from HGH
Basically I’ve had the transformations made so they give Shantae access to moves she doesn’t normally have to give her more versatility for any situation, my vision for her is making her the Smash equivalent of a Swiss Army knife.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
After all we been through why make her a spirit when she has a great moveset? And why not make her an AT in the first place like SK?

Other than the retweeting why is wf still quiet after her spirit reveal and why not say no she is not dlc? idk can someone see if they’re still talking about smash related stuff?

I don’t get everything
Literally the last thing anyone from Wayforward said on the matter was when Matt encouraged people to support Shantae on the DLC campaign, not too long after the direct.

So that means, if Shantae is in as DLC, even Bozon wouldn't know about it.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Literally the last thing anyone from Wayforward said on the matter was when Matt encouraged people to support Shantae on the DLC campaign, not too long after the direct.

So that means, if Shantae is in as DLC, even Bozon wouldn't know about it.
...that doesn't mean that. The announcement that the DLC characters had been chosen came a week or two after Matt's encouragement tweet.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
...that doesn't mean that. The announcement that the DLC characters had been chosen came a week or two after Matt's encouragement tweet.
Well technically we kinda got that news already during the direct with Rex not making it in and time and whatnot, mentioned during the dlc segment of course.

Regardless, even if that's the case, deals like that, wouldn't be sealed in just a week.

She might be in as DLC, but Matt may have been left in the dark on that occurring

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
We can only wait and see. As I've said many times, we just don't know any of Nintendo's criteria regarding DLC characters.

Last edited:

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I don't know dlc seems to me like a last minute decision (or realization) this whole time they've shyed away from confirming dlc until the last direct i guess to focus on the main game. Matt may have had some idea that she would be a fighter but didn't know when.

With stuff like also Christina Vee's silence, shantae going out of its way to avoid smash like fighters, and shantae nab hint from earlier smash screenshots I find it hard to believe all that was leading up to just be a spirit. Feels more like they've been flirting with the idea but weren't ready to fully commit.

They might've left shantae on the back burner (just in case we go beyond base) as a spirit until the final decisions with dlc were made and trying to finish the base game. It also might get some trademark and legal stuff out of the way first.

Shantae's set up as is just doesn't make sense to me. Although who knows...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you wanna see how I’ve interpreted it, here’s my up-to-date moveset ideas:

Basically I’ve had the transformations made so they give Shantae access to moves she doesn’t normally have to give her more versatility for any situation, my vision for her is making her the Smash equivalent of a Swiss Army knife.
I said it before and I'll say it again, if you're only transforming to use one or two moves you'd be better off just cutting out the transforming middle-man and have the moves readily available, otherwise it just telegraphs your intentions too much. Your elephant, for example, literally cannot touch anyone above it. And in the time it takes to select and transform into the spider to anti-air someone, a fastfaller like Sheik has probably already hit you.

There is also the issue of Kirby copying the dance move. The harpy would be comparatively useless for him since he already has multiple jumps.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man this trailer hits the nostalgia button HARD!

Who here is getting this game? Getting eevee myself tonight, because eevee is super adorbs.

Shadowknight1

At first it didn't really click with me what they were doing with that trailer until Haunter used Lick on Charmander. I can't believe they recreated the original opening with the game footage. That's amazing.

And my copy of Let's Go Eevee should be here tomorrow along with Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
At first it didn't really click with me what they were doing with that trailer until Haunter used Lick on Charmander. I can't believe they recreated the original opening with the game footage. That's amazing.

And my copy of Let's Go Eevee should be here tomorrow along with Spyro Reignited Trilogy.
...The original opening of what? Red, Blue and Yellow, or the anime?

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman

Who here is getting this game? Getting eevee myself tonight, because eevee is super adorbs.
Wow jessie and james and a remix of the original anime opening. Nice. Not getting it though, i still need to finish ultra sun. Im glad eevee is getting some spotlight though.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Picking my Eevee up tonight after work. I want spyro too but only can afford 1 game a month. Plus waiting for the switch.

Whats your team gonna be? Right now I know I am gonna use Eevee, Mew, and Gengar. not sure who else, maybe Nidoqueen.

Anime I think.
Yeah it was the original anime opening

Shadowknight1

Whats your team gonna be? Right now I know I am gonna use Eevee, Mew, and Gengar. not sure who else, maybe Nidoqueen.
If they existed in the game, I would've run with an all Eevee team, but since I can't do that, I'm probably going to go with Eevee, Rapidash, Haunter(YOU RIDE ON HAUNTER, HAUNTER CONFIRMED BETTER THAN GENGAR!), Alolan Raichu, Kabutops, and...I'm not sure what else. With all the Move Tutor moves Eevee can learn, I'm not sure there's much else I would need for coverage. Though I'm probably forgetting something.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If they existed in the game, I would've run with an all Eevee team, but since I can't do that, I'm probably going to go with Eevee, Rapidash, Haunter(YOU RIDE ON HAUNTER, HAUNTER CONFIRMED BETTER THAN GENGAR!), Alolan Raichu, Kabutops, and...I'm not sure what else. With all the Move Tutor moves Eevee can learn, I'm not sure there's much else I would need for coverage. Though I'm probably forgetting something.
I know you can ride on Haunter but I like Gengar too much. Rapidash does sound like a fun choice maybe too.

Yeah I saw all the moves Eevee can learn, and its crazy. Can she get more then 1? If soo I really liked that grass move(constant leech see effect sounds nice), the fire move(always burns!), and the Psychic move(To deal with fighting types plus it gives a Light screen effect), then the veevee volley for stab

Shadowknight1

I know you can ride on Haunter but I like Gengar too much. Rapidash does sound like a fun choice maybe too.

Yeah I saw all the moves Eevee can learn, and its crazy. Can she get more then 1? If soo I really liked that grass move(constant leech see effect sounds nice), the fire move(always burns!), and the Psychic move(To deal with fighting types plus it gives a Light screen effect), then the veevee volley for stab
Considering I saw a video where the Eevee had the electric and fire one, then I think the answer is yes! And good luck getting a girl Eevee! Eevee has such a weird gender ratio.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Considering I saw a video where the Eevee had the electric and fire one, then I think the answer is yes! And good luck getting a girl Eevee! Eevee has such a weird gender ratio.
I am resetting till I get a girl eevee. I always go for female starters

Do we know what ability eevee gets, or if abilities are even in this game?

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

I am resetting till I get a girl eevee. I always go for female starters

Do we know what ability eevee gets, or if abilities are even in this game?
No abilities, which is going to be interesting-ish when you transfer Pokemon to the Gen 8 game. And if Gen 8 doesn't have the following Pokemon like Let's Go does, I'm gonna be upset.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No abilities, which is going to be interesting-ish when you transfer Pokemon to the Gen 8 game. And if Gen 8 doesn't have the following Pokemon like Let's Go does, I'm gonna be upset.
If you can transfer your eevee, or a copy of your eevee, to gen 8, will it have the higher base stats and not be able to evolve, or will its stats go down and can evolve. If the later I can see the whole eevee tree being hugely buffed due to all those new moves. Flareon with a grass move, Espeon with a dark move, Jolteon with a water move. its nuts.

Shadowknight1

If you can transfer your eevee, or a copy of your eevee, to gen 8, will it have the higher base stats and not be able to evolve, or will its stats go down and can evolve. If the later I can see the whole eevee tree being hugely buffed due to all those new moves. Flareon with a grass move, Espeon with a dark move, Jolteon with a water move. its nuts.
They haven't really talked about transfers as yet. They probably will do that sometime early next year when they give us a look at Gen 8.

And to connect it back to Shantae, I could totally see Shantae using a Vaporeon!

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace

I'm a massive pokemon fan but I'll save my money for other upcoming games ( Fire Emblem, Bayonetta3, Smash ect ) because I think this Pokemon game is clearly meant to be played by very young kids which bores me to death. I'll wait for the "actual" Pokemon game hoping it'll be more challenging.
Besides, I have pokemon Fire Red on GBA so it's fine for me :p

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I said it before and I'll say it again, if you're only transforming to use one or two moves you'd be better off just cutting out the transforming middle-man and have the moves readily available, otherwise it just telegraphs your intentions too much. Your elephant, for example, literally cannot touch anyone above it. And in the time it takes to select and transform into the spider to anti-air someone, a fastfaller like Sheik has probably already hit you.

There is also the issue of Kirby copying the dance move. The harpy would be comparatively useless for him since he already has multiple jumps.

If she’s able to attack immediately after transforming and switch in and out quickly enough, would it even matter if her intentions were somewhat telegraphed? She wouldn’t need to do the whole dance, it’d be as quick as selecting a Monado Art and the HGH doesn’t even give away which form you selected so I don’t believe that’ll be that much of an issue.
Also you don’t think I’d allow her forms to double jump or use those moves while in midair? I was thinking the elephant would jump just as high as any other heavyweight, and I could easily see a Elephant Stomp to midair Elephant Dash being a combo.

And for Kirby I’ve also said that either he just copied the monkey dash or he can only pick which of the special moves of each form that I listed (Monkey Dash, Elephant Stomp, Spider Venom, Harpy Feather) from the same UI and just gets a hat of the animal. (And would timed out after use similar to Robin)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
They haven't really talked about transfers as yet. They probably will do that sometime early next year when they give us a look at Gen 8.

And to connect it back to Shantae, I could totally see Shantae using a Vaporeon!
Hmm, leaning more with Wigglytuff as I love Jigglypuff. Gengar, Eevee, Wigglytuff, Mew, Rapidash, something else.

Yeah shantae could us a Vaporeon, and A Meloetta

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
If things go well today my sister is gonna be getting her switch with Let's Go Pikachu, and I'm just getting the normal Eevee game. But yeah in regards to this game not being a challenge, I'm going into this game fully aware that it's probably gonna be a walk in the park. I'm going in for the sights, for my inner child that use to think somewhere up in those mountains in a car ride I could find a nest of Golems and Geodudes. Nintendo is trying to ease new players into the game from Pokemon Go, and I can see why. The recent games have gotten a bit complex and new players aren't gonna understand all that nonsense.

Gonna relax for once and feel for the old times, and then come time next year, gonna ramp up my competitive mind for all the new Pokemon and their cool stats.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So yeah it is great hearing the old Pokémon anime theme.

D

Deleted member

hey guys What do you think of my profile pic?

Well technically we kinda got that news already during the direct with Rex not making it in and time and whatnot, mentioned during the dlc segment of course.

Regardless, even if that's the case, deals like that, wouldn't be sealed in just a week.

She might be in as DLC, but Matt may have been left in the dark on that occurring
I can see him after celebrating he went back into the NDA shadows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice

The nostalgia has landed! This is just amazing. Love how they went of their way to recreate the whole opening. Like including Misty and Brock in it and I love how the male trainer is the Ash stand in.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I hope you all enjoy the new pokemon game. I wont be playing, but it's nice that some people will :)

If there ends up being a difficulty setting then that could motivate me to get it eventually. But not getting it for now.

D

Deleted member

No I don't want a Sprite Cranberry. I don't even drink Sprite, I'm more of a tea person.
It’s not a sprite cranberry it’s a sprite PLANT berry it’s a meme

Alright enough wasting around with sprite memes. Let’s get back to shantae y’all

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If she’s able to attack immediately after transforming and switch in and out quickly enough, would it even matter if her intentions were somewhat telegraphed? She wouldn’t need to do the whole dance, it’d be as quick as selecting a Monado Art and the HGH doesn’t even give away which form you selected so I don’t believe that’ll be that much of an issue.
Also you don’t think I’d allow her forms to double jump or use those moves while in midair? I was thinking the elephant would jump just as high as any other heavyweight, and I could easily see a Elephant Stomp to midair Elephant Dash being a combo.

And for Kirby I’ve also said that either he just copied the monkey dash or he can only pick which of the special moves of each form that I listed (Monkey Dash, Elephant Stomp, Spider Venom, Harpy Feather) from the same UI and just gets a hat of the animal. (And would timed out after use similar to Robin)
I don't care if it's as fast as Pokemon Trainer's new switching, it's still an unnecessary hurdle to go through just for a single move. Even he still has to make sure he's safe when switching, invincibility frames or no. And being able to jump doesn't change the fact the elephant has no upwards facing move, so anyone that jumps higher is completely safe from it.

Moving on... anyone stop to consider how similar Shantae's role in Indivisible ended up being to her role in Smash?

Last edited:
Top Bottom