• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Anybody wondering whether or not sakurai will be allowed to pick the next dlc fighters after the first five or do you think nintendo will select them again?
I highly doubt that they said "Here, these are your characters, get to work." His wording highly suggests that they gave him a list of characters they think will sell well and he selected from the list.

And personally? I imagine that, as with the base roster, the ballot results were consulted. Factoring in that the Inklings, Ridley, K Rool, Simon Belmont, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Chrom are in, I'd be willing to bet that Shantae would be pretty high up.

D

Deleted member

I heard MK8DX, BOTW, and SMO were getting more DLC. I knew Mario Odyssey was gonna get more because someone datamined it and found costume data a while back. And seeing this is good news for Shantae, that gives me more hope for her. Here's to #ShantaeForSmash! And Geno too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Actually, I'd expect even more whining from them, and potential "B-B-BUT SHOVEL KNIGHT" attacks on Sakurai.
my rebuttal.

He had one really good game back in 2014, Shantae is a franchise with 4 games and began on a Nintendo console back in 2002 and stayed exclusive to them for 3/4 games. If you are going to have one indie character be in Smash it is her.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
my rebuttal.

He had one really good game back in 2014, Shantae is a franchise with 4 games and began on a Nintendo console back in 2002 and stayed exclusive to them for 3/4 games. If you are going to have one indie character be in Smash it is her.
While Shantae has been close to Nintendo, most of her games have now been made available on far more than just Nintendo consoles. As far as I know, consoles such as the playstation 4 have access to Risky's Revenge, Pirates Curse, and Half-Genie Hero. I think the only one not available is the original game.

I wouldn't say she's a pure exclusive. She was likely exclusive for a time, but she has not remained so entirely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

my rebuttal.

*Blocks her path*

Sorry

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
While Shantae has been close to Nintendo, most of her games have now been made available on far more than just Nintendo consoles. As far as I know, consoles such as the playstation 4 have access to Risky's Revenge, Pirates Curse, and Half-Genie Hero. I think the only one not available is the original game.

I wouldn't say she's a pure exclusive. She was likely exclusive for a time, but she has not remained so entirely.
You can bet that if it weren't done through crowd funding, 1/2 Genie Hero would've been a timed exclusive on Nintendo. But when you do crowdfunding, you have to put it out on as many systems as possible to attract as many people as possible. And saying "Oh, by the way, the Wii U users will get the game a year earlier than anyone else" would've gotten them some hate. So yeah. While other consoles are getting Shantae games, at heart, I think they're meant for Nintendo.

EDIT: @Connorb0t2 Okay, how many games has that...whatever that is had? How many were originally on Nintendo systems? What is he like as a character?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’ll believe he has a chance once I see a viable moveset that’d make him worth putting in the game.
The reason I meantioned him was well.....because
It’s on 8:22

This could be a stretch like all the stretches we’ve been through. Right?

Shadowknight1 Shadowknight1

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
I have a very hard time seeing any of those characters make it in before Shantae. All three of them come from great games, but none of them have the history with Nintendo or the fan demand that Shantae has. There's a reason she was featured in the World of Light trailer and they weren't.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
You can bet that if it weren't done through crowd funding, 1/2 Genie Hero would've been a timed exclusive on Nintendo. But when you do crowdfunding, you have to put it out on as many systems as possible to attract as many people as possible. And saying "Oh, by the way, the Wii U users will get the game a year earlier than anyone else" would've gotten them some hate. So yeah. While other consoles are getting Shantae games, at heart, I think they're meant for Nintendo.
Yeah, this is true.

When playing something like Risky's Revenge on a PS4, something usually feels... off to me. It just doesn't feel right...

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I have a very hard time seeing any of those characters make it in before Shantae. All three of them come from great games, but none of them have the history with Nintendo or the fan demand that Shantae has. There's a reason she was featured in the World of Light trailer and they weren't.
Hollow Knight is a great game, but its far too new to really be under consideration. Undertale is also a rather complicated situation.

Cave Story and Commander Video, however, have a fair shot. I still think Shantae is slightly ahead, though.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I don't see how Quote is likely at all. Cave Story isn't super relevant anymore and neither is quote. Honestly the only indies that really feels like they have as much of a chance as Shantae and Shovel Knight are Sans and maybe Commander Video.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I'm not too caught up with Shantae and Smash...

What's going for her? What makes her likely?
Well, she is treated as a major indie rep by Nintendo, often times appearing in splash art and official materials related to indie games. She is also a very popular fan pick, especially during the latest Smash 5 speculation scene. One of the best things I think she has going for her is that most of her major competition, especially if Nintendo is specifically looking for indie representation, is currently either already assist trophies, may have development difficulties due to movesets, or are no longer heavily relevant (however, relevance is a questionable factor because we got King K.Rool as a newcomer)

grizby2

Smash Lord
Shantae does have a bright future ahead of her, which is something I think Nintendo would consider when looking for potential dlc characters. shes got a great fanbase, has consistently made great games, is from a company that's happy to cooperate, growing presence in the east... ect

I have to admit that id be shocked if there isn't a Shantae sequel. the series is pretty damn lucky to be where its standing now from where it started, and I think its making proper use of its current position. hopefully Nintendo sees that. we just gotta be loud!

whos to say she WASN'T one of the first 5 characters Nintendo considered? we don't know jack **** about Nintendo's opinions. for all we know, Nintendo's had our number this whole damn time. that being said, I'm really curious about who they picked. im keeping my expectations lower this time and being more open to whoever they pick. Nintendo had it pretty good this year, but they have to be thinking many years ahead of us, not just up to February 2020. they simply hold all the cards. :\

anyways, 27 more days till ultimate~

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
I heard MK8DX, BOTW, and SMO were getting more DLC. I knew Mario Odyssey was gonna get more because someone datamined it and found costume data a while back. And seeing this is good news for Shantae, that gives me more hope for her. Here's to #ShantaeForSmash! And Geno too!
That's good. Especially if Shantae doesn't make it into the Wave 1 DLC. There's a chance there will be Wave 2 DLC for Ultimate. Though I'm hoping she's in the Wave 1 DLC.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And why should we believe them?

Also, where does it even say that Spirits won't be DLC.
I haven't seen anything like that in that post.

And, for argument's sake, if this is true, who are even candidates for DLC at this point?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
According to Hitagi, spirits won't be DLC. Given his track record and Vergeben saying he knows things he doesn't, Shantae is out. I just hope we don't get Dixie over her.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77188739
We will have to wait and see if that is the case because characters that were trophies in Smash 4 got promoted to playable status through DLC like Mewtwo and Lucas.

Dixie is a Spirit too so we wouldn't be getting her either.
We saw Dixie with Kiddy as a spirit so if that's true, she'll probably only be deconfirmed if we just see Dixie as a spirit because Kaptain K. Rool is a spirit. That means playable characters can have another version of themselves as spirits.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post; censor dodging
And why should we believe them?

Also, where does it even say that Spirits won't be DLC.
I haven't seen anything like that in that post.

And, for argument's sake, if this is true, who are even candidates for DLC at this point?
****ing granblue and ****ing Steve

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We will have to wait and see if that is the case because characters that were trophies in Smash 4 got promoted to playable status through DLC like Mewtwo and Lucas.

We saw Dixie with Kiddy as a spirit so if that's true, she'll probably only be deconfirmed if we just see Dixie as a spirit because Kaptain K. Rool is a spirit. That means playable characters can have another version of themselves as spirits.
Welp, guess that means we're getting Pirate Gear Shantae only folks. Can't have any confusion between spirits, now! :p

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Actually, we see Dixie on her own before her Spirit gets enhanced and turns into the Spirit you described. This is 14 minutes into the Smash Direct if you want to go look for yourself.

Welp, guess that means we're getting Pirate Gear Shantae only folks. Can't have any confusion between spirits, now! :p
Unless Pirate Gear Shantae is her enhanced form (if she has one).

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, I mean think about it.
If Spirits can't be fighters... What characters are even left for DLC then?

Not to mention some of the known Spirits prove that argument wrong already.
With characters like Kaptain K. Rool, Meta Ridley, etc, being present as spirits.

And let's not forget: Spirits are Trophy-replacements.
And in the past, Trophies were promoted to fighters via DLC later.
(Lucas and Mewtwo in Smash 4)

So who's to say it can't be the same with Spirits?

And if people say, Shantae appears as her main form, instead of her transformations or any alternates, like Meta Ridley, etc.
She appears in her HGH-appearance. And if that really is an issue...
They could simply base Shantae's appearance on her older games, instead of HGH. Problem solved!
Shantae had a completely different appearance in each and every new game.
So this could play in her favour, if that really is a problem.

And let's not forget one thing:
Chrom is playable, a MII Costume and part of Robin's Final Smash, all at the same time.
So you really think having identical Fighters and Spirits would be a problem for them, with that around?

All of these "characters can't be this and that at the same time" is yet another fan rule.
And as Smash has shown us many times before already, they're always wrong!

So don't worry about it.
Shantae's chances haven't diminished at all!

Last edited:
Top Bottom