• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The only way to deconfirm the character is not coming into smash are these points:

1. the creator of that said character confirms that he/she is not coming to smash (Ex. Dante from Devil May Cry series)
2. all 5 DLC spots are filled and with no continuation of them making more.

Mii costume doesn't really hold a lot of value until the end of DLC production. So, we are still playing the waiting game.
You forgot the creators of smash, which is the most important.
And sakurai did say they couldn't add rex to the roster because of the timing of development. But it wasn't clear if it was base or dlc. but it was in the dlc section, so most people take it to mean he cant be in dlc either. That doesn't mean it's the case, but you can see why it seems deconfirmed. (could still be a consolation thing for not making base)

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
You forgot the creators of smash, which is the most important.
And sakurai did say they couldn't add rex to the roster because of the timing of development. But it wasn't clear if it was base or dlc. but it was in the dlc section, so most people take it to mean he cant be in dlc either. That doesn't mean it's the case, but you can see why it seems deconfirmed.
Of course.

Still, its unknown territory we are still riding since there is an extension of the railroad for the hype train to continue onward.
Who is next will all depend on Nintendo's selection lineup before the decision.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not just in gameplay... the reason these blades are as beloved as they are is because of their interactions with everyone, including Rex or Addam. Take that away and they're just waifus, or worse, literally nothing as they need a driver to basically exist. I don't understand how a costume is any more of a deconfirmation than a spirit is.
As others have said, we don't know, all we can go by is what happened last game, and costumes meant no fighter if that fighter wasnt'y already in. This can easily change though. And I think Pyra and Mythra are more then just Waifus without Rex.

And finished the thread!

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...lc-the-pyra-and-mythra-support-thread.463497/

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Shame about what was going on in the shantae discord. Wish I joined before it happened...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As others have said, we don't know, all we can go by is what happened last game, and costumes meant no fighter if that fighter wasnt'y already in. This can easily change though. And I think Pyra and Mythra are more then just Waifus without Rex.

And finished the thread!

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...lc-the-pyra-and-mythra-support-thread.463497/
Something I forgot to mention is the whole pain sharing thing due to their circumstances. You can't play the Chrom card because if Rex is indisposed, so are Pyra & Mythra. And do you really think he'd risk them fighting all on their own if he can help it?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here is some more art I found.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Here is some more art I found.
Wow, somebody’s been busy searching. Glad to see our girl’s getting so much love.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Wow, somebody’s been busy searching. Glad to see our girl’s getting so much love.
Not as busy as you would think. I found all of the on the #Shantae twitter page. It's great, there is so much art being made constantly.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not as busy as you would think. I found all of the on the #Shantae twitter page. It's great, there is so much art being made constantly.
Fair enough, I’ll need to check that out myself.

EDIT: Welp, not even on there two minutes and already found this for Dylly:

Also I need more Sky fanart in my life:

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well with Odyssey, BotW, and Splatoon 2 confirmd getting more DLC later it seems all but certain Smash is not just gonna stop at this first fighters pass, they'd be foolish to stop after only 5 characters for DLC for a game as huge as Smash Ultimate. This bodes well for us...

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Well with Odyssey, BotW, and Splatoon 2 confirmd getting more DLC later it seems all but certain Smash is not just gonna stop at this first fighters pass, they'd be foolish to stop after only 5 characters for DLC for a game as huge as Smash Ultimate. This bodes well for us...
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai would aim for 100+ fighters.

Imagine having an additional 15+ characters by the time the Switch life cycle ends

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
When was all this confirmed? Last i heard all we knew is that they wanted to do dlc for current and future games but they never said actual names

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I want Shantae and Pyra/Mythra to become fighters so we can see the fan art with Palutena, ZSS, Zelda (new style) and Bowsette, that would be something i would instantly download

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
When was all this confirmed? Last i heard all we knew is that they wanted to do dlc for current and future games but they never said actual names
I don't know about Zelda or Splatoon 2 but I did hear about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe getting more DLC.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence."
Our good friends of the genies, the Chozo (in my mind) have something to say with this in mind:

"The future is a vague thing, ever-changing and always in doubt. Even if we Chozo could gain the ability to foresee the future, it would be a hollow gift, for we could never hope to control what has yet to occur. The flow of new fighters is an example of this - the day may come when its potential dries up, and there is nothing we could do to stop such a tragedy. But we do know this: unlike the uncertain flow of fighters, the power of our will is strong and enduring. The will of the Chozo and the genies will never dry up."

Bottom line, you can't ever be certain what you're doing will affect what's to come, but it's no reason to ever stop trying.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I support the half-genie hero because i thought that Pirate's curse was really fun. And I want to do up hair whip combos on Jigglypuff.
Also i wAnt to see the fan art

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
But It brings up an important question:

Will Sakurai ever be able to a catch a break?
Our good friends of the genies, the Chozo (in my mind) have something to say with this in mind:

"The future is a vague thing, ever-changing and always in doubt. Even if we Chozo could gain the ability to foresee the future, it would be a hollow gift, for we could never hope to control what has yet to occur. The flow of new fighters is an example of this - the day may come when its potential dries up, and there is nothing we could do to stop such a tragedy. But we do know this: unlike the uncertain flow of fighters, the power of our will is strong and enduring. The will of the Chozo and the genies will never dry up."

Bottom line, you can't ever be certain what you're doing will affect what's to come, but it's no reason to ever stop trying.
Well humans are persistent if nothing else (or stubborn depending on who you ask) so it's not surprising that us along with fans of deconfirmed characters are still fighting the good fight.

Still it's gonna be a looong few months before the DLC announcements start rolling around so I hope everyone's got some spare determination to use (if you don't just play Undertale or something idk).

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Still it's gonna be a looong few months before the DLC announcements start rolling around so I hope everyone's got some spare determination to use (if you don't just play Undertale or something idk).
Eh, I may take a break from this thread for a little while after the game is released. I bet it's going to be very quiet around here.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Thanks. :)

And, n-no! All you need in your life is more Rottytops fanart...
I mean I definitely enjoy the Rotty art, but not everyone is capable of living off greens alone (apologies to any vegans in the thread) I require a diverse and balanced diet of Shantae fanart involving multiple characters involving but not limited to Shantae, Rotty, Sky, Risky, Bolo, Mimic, Tuki, the Barons, etc.

EDIT: Oh, and Twitch & Vinegar, definitely more fanart of those two.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I mean I definitely enjoy the Rotty art, but not everyone is capable of living off greens alone (apologies to any vegans in the thread) I require a diverse and balanced diet of Shantae fanart involving multiple characters involving but not limited to Shantae, Rotty, Sky, Risky, Bolo, Mimic, Tuki, the Barons, etc.

EDIT: Oh, and Twitch & Vinegar, definitely more fanart of those two.
That remark was more a joke, because I do like fan art of the other characters. I love artwork of Twitch and Vinegar especially. :)

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Sorry to hear what happened in the Shantae Discord. It's nonsense like this that makes it baffling she hasn't been added yet. Her inclusion would be the mother of all anti-bullying PSAs. If you put someone as underdog as an indie character in Smash, it would make those jerks shut up forever.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That remark was more a joke, because I do like fan art of the other characters. I love artwork of Twitch and Vinegar especially. :)
I know I was just going along with the joke. But agreed regardless.

Oh how I love Twitch and Vinegar.

...ok how I love Twitch.
36B5FFFF-FA65-4F46-8B1F-F8D808191D4E.png
2C2C5A0F-E0DF-4649-BA00-71E70C3C17CC.png

6C250608-07C6-47F1-A555-5DBA14E5121B.png
B15B8E32-2907-4358-B5DB-F1961CBD6959.png

is that dynamite bod.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've taken some time to mull it over, and here's what I think are the most likely fighters, considering Nintendo and what's in the game now:

1. Shantae. If they want to promote (you may hear this word a lot) indies, there is no other character with more potential.
2. Rayman. The amount of Ubisoft content in Ultimate has skyrocketed compared to 4 with the Mario + Rabbids... Rabbids. And with Rayman having has a trophy previously plus getting his most recent game rereleased on the Switch...
3. Ryu Hayabusa (hey, we can have Roy and Roy Koopa!). This is a bit of a stretch, but we have someone from Koei Tecmo in the form of that Fatal Frame assist. Ninja Gaiden is another noteworthy NES series.
4. The "Sakurai" pick. Personally I see it being Medusa. Bandana Dee is also possible, but anything Kirby post-Air Ride isn't really his.
5. The "future release" pick. It's between Metroid, Fire Emblem and Pokemon. It'll all depend on how much moveset potential characters within those new games can have... and also if Nintendo doesn't have a completely unknown game to blindside us with.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
The fact that MK8, Zelda and Odessey are all confirmed to get more DLC content down the line basically seals the deal that 5 fighters isn't the end of the line for Smash.
I was iffy about her being one of the first 5 selected but if we got 10 DLC fighters, that's nothing but good news for Shantae, especially if ATs are still out of the running.
Now we wait, we're probably gonna be here a while.

D

Deleted member

The fact that MK8, Zelda and Odessey are all confirmed to get more DLC content down the line basically seals the deal that 5 fighters isn't the end of the line for Smash.
I was iffy about her being one of the first 5 selected but if we got 10 DLC fighters, that's nothing but good news for Shantae, especially if ATs are still out of the running.
Now we wait, we're probably gonna be here a while.
I’m just glad we’re not deconfermed am I right?

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
A bit odd that games are getting new DLC over a year after launch. Not that I'm complaining. This is the way it should be.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
A bit odd that games are getting new DLC over a year after launch. Not that I'm complaining. This is the way it should be.
Well, honestly, I'm surprised we've gone this long without additional worlds for Mario Odyssey. As for Zelda, I highly doubt that any meaningful additional content will be coming. However, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo just snapped up one of those "play as Zelda" mods and made it official.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
If you put someone as underdog as an indie character in Smash, it would make those jerks shut up forever.
Actually, I'd expect even more whining from them, and potential "B-B-BUT SHOVEL KNIGHT" attacks on Sakurai.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Anybody wondering whether or not sakurai will be allowed to pick the next dlc fighters after the first five or do you think nintendo will select them again?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Actually, I'd expect even more whining from them, and potential "B-B-BUT SHOVEL KNIGHT" attacks on Sakurai.
Good, more fuel for us if they seriously plan to argue with their toxic posting history.

Last edited:
Top Bottom