• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Don’t blame me blame the grinch
It's you who chose to believe it and turn on Shantae, because the leak showed Banjo-Kazooie and not Shantae.
The Grinch didn't possess you and control your body against your will, now did he?

No that was entirely your choice.
So you only have yourself to blame for this one.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Whatever you say Nancy. I swear, you people that believe every single leak. For one thing, even if they get this first Fighter Pack, there's still hope for a second pack. For another, I really don't think Matt Bozon would be encouraging our support if Shantae didn't have a chance to make it to the roster in the future.

Also, regarding these so-called leak characters, I do NOT see why Katalina is getting hate other than her game not being on a Nintendo system. I've watched the gameplay for Granblue Fantasy Project Re Link and it looks fun! And she looks like a cool character, pun intended. Steve...I'm ambivalent towards. I likely won't play as him if he IS released except to do Classic mode once with him. I will be fine with virtually any Square representative. And those seem to be the only ones that anyone is even close to "sure" on, so we don't know. It may be true, it may not be.
Believe every leak? LOL You know I flat out denied Vergeben and most of the other leaks and even encouraged others to do so. The truth is that Vergeben proved himself and so saying he has false info at this point is just living in denial. Regardless, I'm not forcing you to believe Hitagi at gunpoint but he at least has credibility. Try keeping your fanboyism to a bare minimum, please.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I would argue that in a sense, Metroid and games comparable to it, like Shantae, could be defined as collectathons since you must collect items in a certain order to progress, and they have a lot of items. At the same time, I agree in that I would like Shantae and The Axis Switch™ to take more inspiration from Half Genie Hero and Prime, than 3d Mario and the like.

The dances could work like the Wind Waker in...The Wind Waker, and the ease of 3d animation compared to hand made sprites would allow each transformation to have a unique dance as well. The game world could allow for a lot of unique interactions, depending on how many of them they decide would be appropriate.

...I wonder if WayForward is hiring.
That's certainly an interesting concept for the Dancing mechanics, I like that idea quite a lot. :) (though, if I have to be honest, constantly having to switch the wind direction in Wind Waker, or having to play the Command Medley over and over again in the Earth Temple, could get sort of irritating sometimes :p).

D

Deleted member

It's you who chose to believe it and turn on Shantae, because the leak showed Banjo-Kazooie and not Shantae.
The Grinch didn't possess you and control your body against your will, now did he?

No that was entirely your choice.
So you only have yourself to blame for this one.

Ok will everyone stop talking about me

I know that was bad but that doesn’t mean you have to bring this up at me.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Ok will everyone stop talking about me

I know that was bad but that doesn’t mean you have to bring this up at me.
Just like you don't have to be a Drama Queen all the time.
You seem very impulsive and emotional and overreact over every little thing.

Seriously, stop with the drama and we will stop with the criticism.
Simple as that!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You know it IS true that Shantae has multiple artwork for her. Her HGH might be a Spirit but her RR or PC artwork could work better. Since those are a more detailed version plus it has that nice vest and gem tiara.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You know it IS true that Shantae has multiple artwork for her. Her HGH might be a Spirit but her RR or PC artwork could work better. Since those are a more detailed version plus it has that nice vest and gem tiara.
I still think her original design is the best.
And I'd love it, if they used that design as a base for Shantae in Smash.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Believe every leak? LOL You know I flat out denied Vergeben and most of the other leaks and even encouraged others to do so. The truth is that Vergeben proved himself and so saying he has false info at this point is just living in denial. Regardless, I'm not forcing you to believe Hitagi at gunpoint but he at least has credibility. Try keeping your fanboyism to a bare minimum, please.
It's not fanboyism. Vergeben did not prove himself to be perfect beyond anything. He got things wrong about Dragon Ball FighterZ and SoulCalibur VI. There are probably other things as well.. And he DID claim that Ken and Incineroar were not the end, but since that happened has said that the other character, the SE rep, was moved to DLC. No. I do not believe him or any other leaker.

D

Deleted member

It's not fanboyism. Vergeben did not prove himself to be perfect beyond anything. He got things wrong about Dragon Ball FighterZ and SoulCalibur VI. There are probably other things as well.. And he DID claim that Ken and Incineroar were not the end, but since that happened has said that the other character, the SE rep, was moved to DLC. No. I do not believe him or any other leaker.
But what about whatshisname

NukeA6

Smash Master
To each their own. Just keep your expectations low. Super Smash Bros reveals have never satisfied everyone.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Well it seems something happened while I was gone so I might as well throw my two cents in.

For people looking for the Spirits quote go here and ctrl-f for spirits to see.
"Based on your personal opinion, do Spirit characters still have a chance to be DLC?"
"No"
While it's fine to give leakers credibility where it's due don't take the word of any leaker or leak as gospel because you're just gonna end up confused and/or dissapointed.

Hell we just got done with the Grinch leak which fooled many and raised expectations much higher than they should've.

If you trust a leaker there's nothing wrong with that but don't pull your hair out over some quotes. Plans change and nothing is truly set in stone yet until said otherwise.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well it seems something happened while I was gone so I might as well throw my two cents in.

For people looking for the Spirits quote go here and ctrl-f for spirits to see.
"Based on your personal opinion, do Spirit characters still have a chance to be DLC?"
"No"
While it's fine to give leakers credibility where it's due don't take the word of any leaker or leak as gospel because you're just gonna end up confused and/or dissapointed.

Hell we just got done with the Grinch leak which fooled many and raised expectations much higher than they should've.

If you trust a leaker there's nothing wrong with that but don't pull your hair out over some quotes. Plans change and nothing is truly set in stone yet until said otherwise.
Yeah the question was "Based on YOUR personal OPINION" not "Based on your SOURCES". You guys have to make sure to check the wording. Because his personal opinion does not control what Nintendo would actually do.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Either way, the game is gonna be amazing and I am satisfied with how it is now.
My life doesn't depend on Shantae making it in.

In fact, her being a Spirit I consider a victory already.
She's part of the Smashverse and she will get more exposure.
So in regards of increasing her popularity and fanbase, I'd say we won already.

I just wonder why people have to be so predatory about Smash all the time.
So eager to tear each other apart over every single thing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Either way, the game is gonna be amazing and I am satisfied with how it is now.
My life doesn't depend on Shantae making it in.

In fact, her being a Spirit I consider a victory already.
She's part of the Smashverse and she will get more exposure.
So in regards of increasing her popularity and fanbase, I'd say we won already.

I just wonder why people have to be so predatory about Smash all the time.
So eager to tear each other apart over every single thing.
Its better to have a piece of it rather then not having it at all.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wow i pop in and prople are arguing. We need to relax. Nothing is 100% true till sakurai himself says something. So Shanyae still has a good chance till we are tild otherwise from offical sources.

I doubt being a spirit stops you from being playable in the future as it does remove probably 1000 character choices at least. Sakurai wouldnt do that.

Also if you think 5 dlc is all we are getting thats just silly. If mario kart 8 is still getting dlc then smash can for many MANY years. That further prooves being a spirit doesnt remove your chances. The only thing that removes your chances is being told by offical sources its not happening or becoming a assist trophy. Shantae is neither so she is still good.

@Connorb0t2 you really need to calm down, not attack any other character even if you dont like them, and respect other peoples thoughts. So what if steve could happen? I myself dont want him but if he is in i just dont need to use him. And i am sure if he is in Sakurai will make him a very interesting character.

So everyone chill and lets be civil.

D

Deleted member

Wow i pop in and prople are arguing. We need to relax. Nothing is 100% true till sakurai himself says something. So Shanyae still has a good chance till we are tild otherwise from offical sources.

I doubt being a spirit stops you from being playable in the future as it does remove probably 1000 character choices at least. Sakurai wouldnt do that.

Also if you think 5 dlc is all we are getting thats just silly. If mario kart 8 is still getting dlc then smash can for many MANY years. That further prooves being a spirit doesnt remove your chances. The only thing that removes your chances is being told by offical sources its not happening or becoming a assist trophy. Shantae is neither so she is still good.

@Connorb0t2 you really need to calm down, not attack any other character even if you dont like them, and respect other peoples thoughts. So what if steve could happen? I myself dont want him but if he is in i just dont need to use him. And i am sure if he is in Sakurai will make him a very interesting character.

So everyone chill and lets be civil.
I wasn’t attacking crash I like crash
I just wanted to show you what I found when that user brought up his name

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wasn’t attacking crash I like crash
I just wanted to show you what I found when that user brought up his name
I wasnt saying you were attacking crash, i just know you attack steve a lot and was just using that as an example

Oh some artwork of the Shantae/Samus combo.

Thats some great art there

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Spirits deconfirming potential DLC characters would be weird. There's like no characters left if you do that, as there's spirits for basically every major first party Nintendo game, and not just old ones, but recent games like BOTW, which means characters like Twintelle, Urbosa, Dixie, and so on are out...which leaves what exactly?

Granted I could see the argument made that spirits are made specifically for characters that Sakurai thinks wont make it into Smash which would paint a grim picture for Shantae's chances, but again that doesn't leave much, and I have a even harder time trying to figure out just who they'd pick for DLC reps.

Also can we stop attacking each other. Even if you don't like a member or what they said, just ignore them, ok?

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Please don’t:(
I mean wouldn't you rather people just glance over your posts as opposed to be angry at you?

Granted I think people got the wrong idea about most of your posts. I mean I think you just like sharing funny things you've found and I've got no issue with that.

D

Deleted member

I mean wouldn't you rather people just glance over your posts as opposed to be angry at you?

Granted I think people got the wrong idea about most of your posts. I mean I think you just like sharing funny things you've found and I've got no issue with that.
That’s what I was trying to do

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
The Hitagi thing about Spirits doesn't mean anything. Hitagi doesn't have nearly the proven record with Smash leaks that Vergeben has, and even if he did, as others have noted, it was just his personal opinion anyways. For other reasons previously addressed, I don't think Shantae is going to be in first wave DLC, but this is not at all a de-confirmation of Spirit characters having a chance.

Whatever you say Nancy. I swear, you people that believe every single leak. For one thing, even if they get this first Fighter Pack, there's still hope for a second pack. For another, I really don't think Matt Bozon would be encouraging our support if Shantae didn't have a chance to make it to the roster in the future.

Also, regarding these so-called leak characters, I do NOT see why Katalina is getting hate other than her game not being on a Nintendo system. I've watched the gameplay for Granblue Fantasy Project Re Link and it looks fun! And she looks like a cool character, pun intended. Steve...I'm ambivalent towards. I likely won't play as him if he IS released except to do Classic mode once with him. I will be fine with virtually any Square representative. And those seem to be the only ones that anyone is even close to "sure" on, so we don't know. It may be true, it may not be.
For most Smash fans, myself included, third party characters in Smash should be special exceptions, guest characters who earn their spot in a Nintendo crossover game through exceptional circumstances. For me, that means some special relationship with Nintendo, hence why I am such a Shantae supporter. Bayonetta is another example of that. Other people just want those characters to be massive icons of gaming, like Ryu and Pac-Man, or to a lesser extent Cloud and Snake. Some people want them to have both those qualities, like Sonic and Mega Man.

A Granblue Fantasy character doesn't meet either of those criteria. Furthermore, gacha games and mobile games are not well-regarded among traditional gamers, for good reason in my opinion, so it's a genre that a lot of people would prefer does not have Smash representation anyway. Very few people have even heard of Katalina who don't already play Granblue Fantasy. So she's a mobile gacha character whom few people have heard of outside fans of the series, with no meaningful connection to Nintendo. And as for her design, she just screams generic anime girl to me. Sure that's subjective, but it's hard to say she really stands out on a design level. All those factors combined, and it's not hard to see why lots of people are very against the idea. For me, it wouldn't be any better than if they added the mascot from Candy Crush as a playable character.

EDIT: I would be a lot more okay with a Dragalia Lost character, because that at least is a first party Nintendo franchise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would be a lot more okay with a Dragalia Lost character, because that at least is a first party Nintendo franchise.
Yes I prefer Netflix adaptation :ultshulk: rather than a granblue rep with 0% Nintendo history

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally keeping my own expectations in check, and not drowning the thread in negative tones. I'm not expecting Shantae. I just want her. The game looks fantastic as it is and can't wait to play it. But you can't deny that a lot of characters have a really good shot this time around. I'm not gonna toss anyone under the bus right now because anything could happen. And I'm looking forward to what this game brings us in the future.

Top Bottom