• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
As I said guys, please try not to fight among yourselves: at the end of the day, we are just speculating the chances of a character from a video game to get into another video game. To be honest, it just doesn’t make sense to be fighting like this to begin with, so...

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'll believe him now if only in hopes that he destroys this new leak.
Ehhh... Unless you specifically want Incineroar, Steve or a Square Rep that isn't Geno, I'd take the Grinch Leak. It's more newcomers and leaves more room for other DLC characters by removing a LOT of competition.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Ehhh... Unless you specifically want Incineroar, Steve or a Square Rep that isn't Geno, I'd take the Grinch Leak. It's more newcomers and leaves more room for other DLC characters by removing a LOT of competition.
I'm worried DLC isn't going to be a thing if the leak is real honestly. While it wouldn't be a monetarily fitting decision, all these characters left to be revealed will skyrocket sales of the base game once announced. They would really have to go crazy with picks like Crash and Sora in order to live up to the hype of the base roster and I'm not sure they will do something that crazy.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I see that Vergeben is trying to savor his last few moments of fame before he fades back into irrelevancy, as hacks often do.

Never believed that this guy was credible for a second and I don't believe him now.
I'm in agreement with that statement as there have been so many "leakers" trying to get a spot in the limelight with all these fake leaks that it's starting to become redundant.

Also while on the topic of Verg I found this pic on the general discussions board and it did give me a good chuckle.
1540372422522.jpg

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
As I said guys, please try not to fight among yourselves: at the end of the day, we are just speculating the chances of a character from a video game to get into another video game. To be honest, it just doesn’t make sense to be fighting like this to begin with, so...
THEY STARTED IT! Im kidding lol

But i would like to be added to that shantae support group

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'm worried DLC isn't going to be a thing if the leak is real honestly. While it wouldn't be a monetarily fitting decision, all these characters left to be revealed will skyrocket sales of the base game once announced. They would really have to go crazy with picks like Crash and Sora in order to live up to the hype of the base roster and I'm not sure they will do something that crazy.
Given how open Nintendo has been with DLC in recent years, some of which was almost large enough to be its own game, and considering how Smash 4 had DLC, it'd not make any sense to not have any DLC fighters for Smash Ultimate. Maybe or maybe not on the level of say Splatoon 2, but it's highly unlikely that there will be nothing.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Eh, I'd rather have one of the characters I really care about that aren;t in this leak than the 7 characters i'm more "meh" about. I get that a lot of people want Isaac, Geno and B&K but of those three the only ones I'd really care about are B&K and honestly I think Dixie deserves the spot far more than them.

Anyway, I think the inconsistencies with the official background and the one shown in the leak are enough to throw it out. He wanted to show an empty background to make it look like they had all the tools, so he recreated it the best he could by filling in the spaces left from characters he moved. That's why all the things that are different are things missing from the official background, they were covered by a character so he had no idea something was missing so he just filled up the empty space with what seemed to make the most sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I see that Vergeben is trying to savor his last few moments of fame before he fades back into irrelevancy, as hacks often do.

Never believed that this guy was credible for a second and I don't believe him now.
Same. His poor track record on DBFZ already proved how inconsistent he is, so it'll be gratifying to sit back, relax, and hear of his downfall.

george-costanza-popcorn.gif

Shark X

Smash Lord
He's a condescending jerk who uses inappropriate terms of "autism" against "naysayers". And quite frankly has slipped up innumerable times in his leaking career, backtracked and lied. Not to mention, he's one of the rude anti-Shantae personnel from Gamefaqs to boot.

Why support another "leaker" for destroying another leak? Particularly in the case where the latter leak is more fun and speculation-fueling anyway?
Wait, he's one of the Hateful Shantae people? Yeah I guess I don't feel as sorry for him as I did then. Felt bad for him because he was being treated the way we do, difference being we did nothing wrong. But if he treated us that way too, then yeah I guess he's tasting his own medicine right now.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Eh, I'd rather have one of the characters I really care about that aren;t in this leak than the 7 characters i'm more "meh" about. I get that a lot of people want Isaac, Geno and B&K but of those three the only ones I'd really care about are B&K and honestly I think Dixie deserves the spot far more than them.

Anyway, I think the inconsistencies with the official background and the one shown in the leak are enough to throw it out. He wanted to show an empty background to make it look like they had all the tools, so he recreated it the best he could by filling in the spaces left from characters he moved. That's why all the things that are different are things missing from the official background, they were covered by a character so he had no idea something was missing so he just filled up the empty space with what seemed to make the most sense.
Of course. I'm just saying if it HAS to be Vergeben or it HAS to be Grinch. If there was another option that had one of my most-wanteds, I'd pick that.

He's a condescending jerk who uses inappropriate terms of "autism" against "naysayers". And quite frankly has slipped up innumerable times in his leaking career, backtracked and lied. Not to mention, he's one of the rude anti-Shantae personnel from Gamefaqs to boot.

Why support another "leaker" for destroying another leak? Particularly in the case where the latter leak is more fun and speculation-fueling anyway?
To be fair, and I hate to have to defend Verge since he IS an asshole but, Verge was never anti-Shantae, his rabid followers are. And as for the reason some people prefer the Verge leak to be true is because it isn't final. Verge has missed a lot of characters so it wouldn't be weird for him to miss more and also he never said Kencineroar and SE rep were the final characters. The Grinch Leak flat out says whoever isn't in the mural didn't make the cut so fans of Bandana Dee, Skull Kidd, Shantae etc. obviously don't want it to be real. It doesn't mean they WANT Verge to be right, it just means they don't want blunt deconfirmation of their most wanted.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Of course. I'm just saying if it HAS to be Vergeben or it HAS to be Grinch. If there was another option that had one of my most-wanteds, I'd pick that.
Although I never believed either of them, Verg never claimed to know the entire roster, so with him you at least had hope that there would be a few he didn't know about. This banner is purporting to be the Final base roster and if that finals roster is 7 spots filled by characters you don;t care about, it's very disheartening.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Although I never believed either of them, Verg never claimed to know the entire roster, so with him you at least had hope that there would be a few he didn't know about. This banner is purporting to be the Final base roster and if that finals roster is 7 spots filled by characters you don;t care about, it's very disheartening.
It would most likely be final for the base roster, with so many. But did it ever say it was the final? I dont recall seeing that. It was mostly just the images, right?

On the contrary. He was exposed as such via one of his alt accounts a while back.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77018128
Yeah, I remember that whole fiasco and unfortunately there never any substantial evidence to prove it was a Verge alt account. There were a lot of ass and poop related usernames going around at the time impersonating Verge and even loz18 at some point. Point is we never got proof it was Verge and he denied having any alt accounts. I hate the guy too but we can't really use this as evidence.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I personally don't believe either Verge or Grinch leak, but Grinch leak is far more credible than Verge will ever be. Verge is an asshole with a massive ego. He refuses to admit he's wrong by remaining deliberately vague and passing the buck to his "sources". If Grinch leak is real, I think it's a Verge-killer, which is why he's taking pot shots at people like PapaGenos and making one last grasp at relevancy.

Also, even if the Grinch leak is real, it still doesn't mention anything about Shantae and some other characters or their chances for DLC.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It would most likely be final for the base roster, with so many. But did it ever say it was the final? I dont recall seeing that. It was mostly just the images, right?
Well, if you are attaching it to the ChadDorf leak (which most are) then it would be the final roster as that leak mentioned characters that were cut i.e. Ray mk1 and Dixie.

Yes, that still means anything is possible for DLC, but the same can be said for verg or any other leak, But as far as Base roster goes the banner leak heavily implies that that is it since it is built on the base of that being the finished product used for advertising.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
While I don't have any personal connection to any of the characters in the Grinch leak I would be pretty contempt with them coming in.
Except for the Chorus Kids.
I don't know why but simply visualizing the fact of the Chorus Kids in Smash just irks me to no end. Maybe it's their looks. Maybe it's the fact that they're just another character in Rhythm Heaven I'm not sure.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm hoping the inconsistencies with the background in Grinch Link are due to the printer / materials or whatever that were used. Due to the picture quality, some of the characters have parts that look like blobs, which is especially noticeable with Olimar's Pikmin, so it could even be that.

I also read that the photo of parts of the mural cut and put next to each other was actually someone taking them and then resizing / blowing them up, so that photo probably isn't even from the original person involved, especially since it seems to have been a Snapchat video that has somewhat-poor quality and had pictures taken from it anyway; but I dunno.

I personally believe that if this is fake, our alternative is Box Theory, and while Incineroar is cool and all (I mean, he could hit opponents with flaming chairs), I'd really like the characters in this leak. Vergeben also isn't the only one who claims Incineroar now, but so are a lot of the known insiders.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
"Vergeben"?

I won't even bother with him. Those who believe his words as gospel, I feel bad for. I'm afraid he's changed people, for the worse. What a deceitful leader, he is. Making his subjects perform such terrible acts, and for no reward.

So what your saying is that your ok with....
Steve,tony the tiger,sora,and dantae? the loser picks?

Ok.
...The, "loser picks"?

Are you trying to say, that all of the wonderful people that support, and love those characters, are losers?

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I'm more in the camp of shantae is in as a base fighter but have little to no faith in any of these leaks.( They're just not showing much of a pattern in support beyond themselves) But yeah a lot of us are here for just one character. There's nothing wrong with being dissenting at a leak that doesn't support our pick that has a bunch of characters other people like.

D

Deleted member

I personally don't believe either Verge or Grinch leak, but Grinch leak is far more credible than Verge will ever be. Verge is an ******* with a massive ego. He refuses to admit he's wrong by remaining deliberately vague and passing the buck to his "sources". If Grinch leak is real, I think it's a Verge-killer, which is why he's taking pot shots at people like PapaGenos and making one last grasp at relevancy.

Also, even if the Grinch leak is real, it still doesn't mention anything about Shantae and some other characters or their chances for DLC.
Your right I think she was just pushed back due to timing.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't believe either Verge or Grinch leak, but Grinch leak is far more credible than Verge will ever be. Verge is an ******* with a massive ego. He refuses to admit he's wrong by remaining deliberately vague and passing the buck to his "sources". If Grinch leak is real, I think it's a Verge-killer, which is why he's taking pot shots at people like PapaGenos and making one last grasp at relevancy.

Regardless of any "leaks" come around, real or not, the evidence surrounding Shantae's inclusion won't suddenly disappear. Even if the odds are stacked against her I'll still be cheering her on.
After all the revolution is never over until you think it's over, then it's truly lost.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Regardless of any "leaks" come around, real or not, the evidence surrounding Shantae's inclusion won't suddenly disappear. Even if the odds are stacked against her I'll still be cheering her on.
After all the revolution is never over until you think it's over, then it's truly lost.
And here's another pic I like to reference a lot with this kind of feeling!

The amount of **** this guy had going against him was legendary, but the fans never gave in. Not even Sakurai's word, usually the final say, can hold them back forever.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Yeah, I remember that whole fiasco and unfortunately there never any substantial evidence to prove it was a Verge alt account. There were a lot of *** and poop related usernames going around at the time impersonating Verge and even loz18 at some point. Point is we never got proof it was Verge and he denied having any alt accounts. I hate the guy too but we can't really use this as evidence.
Debatable. Regardless, all of the other bad bits I listed about him being a terribly mean person who uses autism as a taunt, being needlessly condescending, etc, are confirmed true.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Heh I don't know about you guys, but I'll never give up. I'll stay here as long as it takes to have her playable in that game, and beyond !
I wish we could all remain positive no matter what and not jump ship when some silly leak rocks the boat.
Our goal is to have her as FIGHTER, I won't be satisfied or consider Shantae "lucky" with anything less !

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Debatable. Regardless, all of the other bad bits I listed about him being a terribly mean person who uses autism as a taunt, being needlessly condescending, etc, are confirmed true.
I remember there being (at least) one or two instances, but I can't remember any off the top of my head, so can you please show me one?

Last edited:
Top Bottom