• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I understand. I just don't think it fits within Shantae's character. Also, it would feel out of place due to how much tamer the series' fan service is becoming with each new entry.
It's more of a zig-zag. Fanservice was tame in the original, was about the same in Risky's Revenge but it had the dancer outfit, hit it's peak in Pirate's Curse with the space princess party, then finally went back down to a standard level, though still with a standout example in Giga Mermaid.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
It's more of a zig-zag. Fanservice was tame in the original, was about the same in Risky's Revenge but it had the dancer outfit, hit it's peak in Pirate's Curse with the space princess party, then finally went back down to a standard level, though still with a standout example in Giga Mermaid.
Yeah, I just don't see Shantae as a lesbian character. She doesn't do or say anything that would hint towards that. Rotty on the other hand... that concerns me.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Wow, it looks like I missed a doozy of a conversation. But I think you guys are missing something. I mean it’s obvious, who’s does Shantae see wherever she goes? Who’s always there for her when she needs someone to depend on, I believe we all really know who is...
33DFC84F-2A02-45F2-B8A7-EF79E74580B1.jpeg

I’m never allowed back on here, am I?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeesh, the Giga Mermaid. I'm pretty sure that boss was, like, atleast 4 different fetishes in one, maybe more...

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Wow, it looks like I missed a doozy of a conversation. But I think you guys are missing something. I mean it’s obvious, who’s does Shantae see wherever she goes? Who’s always there for her when she needs someone to depend on, I believe we all really know who is...
View attachment 171359

We've been sleeping on this OTP for years.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
View attachment 171359

giphy (1).gif

:ohwell:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I still haven't seen anything that debunks Shantae being in Smash yet. No fake leak is going to diminish all the evidence that's in her favor.

Yeah, I just don't see Shantae as a lesbian character. She doesn't do or say anything that would hint towards that. Rotty on the other hand... that concerns me.
And what if WayForward does hint that she's lesbian or bisexual? She'd still be the same half-genie hero we all know and love. You seem to think that hinting at her sexual orientation would suddenly change her character when it wouldn't have any impact on her regardless. It's nothing to get so offended about.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
It's /v/. The people who don't like Shantae are digging at the bottom of the barrel to justify their hatred. Nothing new here.

Man.... TOY the Gamer is getting roasted lately...
Mind sharing a screen cap of that? I can't access the site for some odd reason.

Also, why am I being roasted? I just put my opinion out there.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
...I'd imagine a kid drew that (it looks a lot like the drawings I did as a kid)...so people treating it like garbage is more insulting than people trying to use it to "disprove" Shantae for Smash.
As someone who does enjoy drawing and art (but am still very amateur at it), one of the things people need to understand is that being able to be proud of your work, even if it isn't exactly a Mona Lisa, is important. You are always your own worst critic, and one of the hardest parts of learning to draw is having confidence in yourself.

Mind sharing a screen cap of that? I can't access the site for some odd reason.

Also, why am I being roasted? I just put my opinion out there.
They seem to think your messages on Twitter are a bit...odd. The term "autistic" pops up.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9qucmc/fan_made_shantae_victory_theme_oc/

Someone put this on the subreddit. Great fan-made victory theme for our favorite gal!
I was promised my favourite gal. I got Shantae instead. LIES!

To be serious though, that is really good. :)

"Your posts are oh, so predictable, boring, and bland, anaemic as all hell. I have no idea how some consider you integral..."

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I'm sorry if I ruffled some feathers, but that thought has lingered in the back of my mind ever since I got invested into the Shantae series. I don't want to see yet another female character like become gay just because it's the hip thing to do with characters nowadays.

WayForward making Shantae gay would feel like a political stunt more than a legitimate addition to her character, especially since the series has never portrayed her like that.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I'm sorry if I ruffled some feathers, but that thought has lingered in the back of my mind ever since I got invested into the Shantae series. I don't want to see yet another female character like become gay just because it's the hip thing to do with characters nowadays.

WayForward making Shantae gay would feel like a political stunt more than a legitimate addition to her character, especially since the series has never portrayed her like that.
Personally, I don't mind it. It might be a bit of a "okay...does this mean anything?" sort of moment, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. As long as the gameplay stays fun, and Shantae stays Shantae.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

I think it would be best if we all drop this discussion, regardless of which side we stand on. We all have our opinions, those opinions aren't going to change and further discussion only stands to either provide nothing at best, or cause things to get ugly and political at worst.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician

You really don't have anything to "worry" about. Shantae has no "sexuality" because it's not important to her story. Plus...even if they did make her a lesbian canonically it doesn't change her personality or character at all...not that I think they would, because that would undoubtedly alienate people and I'm sure that's the last thing Wayforward wants.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I think it would be best if we all drop this discussion, regardless of which side we stand on. We all have our opinions, those opinions aren't going to change and further discussion only stands to either provide nothing at best, or cause things to get ugly and political at worst.
I would agree. This is Smash Bros, not Politics and Ideology Bros!

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't mind it. It might be a bit of a "okay...does this mean anything?" sort of moment, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. As long as the gameplay stays fun, and Shantae stays Shantae.
I WANT to agree with you (and apparently everyone else here), but I believe Shantae is best left single. I'd rather her solely focus on her saving Sequin Land and finding her parents more than pursuing anyone.

Dukefire

Smash Master
To change the subject, what power would kirby inherit for Shantae's neutral B?

The appearence for Kirby's copy ability is pretty much done in numerous fanart

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

So LGBT characters are "political stunts"? Not every character is going to be straight just to please your sensibilities. They haven't hinted at her sexuality either way and she wouldn't be any different if they did.

I think that WayForward deliberately keeps things ambiguous with Shantae so the fans can headcanon whatever they want with her.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
The hair whip is her regular attack.

Her neutral Special is what kirby will inherit along with his appearance change.
...I forgot that Kirby only inherits the b special. I'm not sure than because I'm not 100% how I'd make Shantae's moveset.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
So LGBT characters are "political stunts"? Not every character is going to be straight just to please your sensibilities. They haven't hinted at her sexuality either way and she wouldn't be any different if they did.

I think that WayForward deliberately keeps things ambiguous with Shantae so the fans can headcanon whatever they want with her.
Sorry if it came across like that. I'm fine with characters being LGBTQ if they're established like that or if it makes sense to that character.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something to listen to calm your mind for the night (or day depending on your timezone)

Of course, its not Shantae related, but good to reduce the tension.

Top Bottom