• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, what we have to deal with while Smash Ultimate is not here yet.

Granted, not all are like that. Just some wanting the attention and hoping we are just following a false hype.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Um... but how are you doing though? :confused:

And, to answer the question, I'm doing alright. Nobody's posted any hateful comments towards me yet, so things are going swell so far.
I’m doing alright, not much has happened for me yet since I got up recently, I notice not much is happening right now, is there anything you wanna talk about?

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I’m doing alright, not much has happened for me yet since I got up recently, I notice not much is happening right now, is there anything you wanna talk about?
Not particularly. I'm not that good with starting discussion. But I'll talk about anything really. :)

It's not like there is much to talk about anyway... so here's my cat lol.
IMG_4739.JPG
IMG_4740.JPG

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'm currently watching Mega Man 11 and I can tell that there's far more effort put into this game by the intro alone than in MNO 9.
Yeah...man is it ironic looking back on that game and how much promise it had, and after everything else, having the company they tried to stick it to pulling the final nail in it’s coffin.

Not particularly. I'm not that good with starting discussion. But I'll talk about anything really. :)

It's not like there is much to talk about anyway... so here's my cat lol.
He’s/she’s very photogenic, but yeah I’m not the best at starting conversations either

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I was looking at the spreadsheet and the section that says "Steve has better chances and has a unique move set than her". That reminded me of some more counterarguments that haters use against her involving Steve: "Steve's more Iconic" and "Steve'd be a better Indie rep". Does anyone have rebuttals for these so we can put them on the spreadsheet?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I was looking at the spreadsheet and the section that says "Steve has better chances and has a unique move set than her". That reminded me of some more counterarguments that haters use against her involving Steve: "Steve's more Iconic" and "Steve'd be a better Indie rep". Does anyone have rebuttals for these so we can put them on the spreadsheet?
Steve isn't an indie is one, and how can a block man that justy waves a pick ax have a more unique moveset then a animal transforming, magic weild, hair whipping genie?

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Steve isn't really indie anymore, being owned by Microsoft. While his movesets has the potential to be creative, it could also just come off like a blocky version of Link (sword, bow and arrow, TNT for bombs, etc). Shantae has a better chance of having a *unique* moveset due to having 4 games under her belt with a myriad of items, transformations and magic spells in addition to her hair.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Steve isn't an indie is one, and how can a block man that justy waves a pick ax have a more unique moveset then a animal transforming, magic weild, hair whipping genie?
Steve isn't really indie anymore, being owned by Microsoft. While his movesets has the potential to be creative, it could also just come off like a blocky version of Link (sword, bow and arrow, TNT for bombs, etc). Shantae has a better chance of having a *unique* moveset due to having 4 games under her belt with a myriad of items, transformations and magic spells in addition to her hair.
OK, but what about haters (or pessimists, like me) who would insist that he'd be counted as an indie due to how he was an indie in the beginning and still insist that he's more Iconic (Sorry, but I just really want us to have a good counterargument for the Iconic part)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Any arguments against a character based off of being iconic or not, etc. are bad imo and are just immature when they start bashing the character all-together.

For Steve's moveset, though: there's no way Sakurai would make Steve a Link clone when he values the Survival resource-gathering and building aspect of his game, don't pay too much attention to that Brawl mod. Both characters would be unique from the rest of the Smash cast.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There are some missing blog posts on the day of the nindies direct, so people think that was gonna be for shantae. Plus the 1 more thing line during the direct.

Teeb147 Teeb147 Hmm, I wonder if we could combine ours or something. Just put a ton of effort into this and to be screwed because the listing didn't show it yesterday for some reason...
Sure, let's talk about possibilities when we have time.
I wanna see yours :)

D

Deleted member

Now that sakurai cares about indies
What other representation would you like to see from other indies? I made a list....
1.shantae(fighter)the one and only
2.shovel kight(AT)
3.quote(AT)
4.super meat boy(trophy)
5.comandervideo(AT/trophy)I’m not sure yet
6.the drifter(trophy)
7.hue,val(trophy)
8.juan(AT)i wish
9.rusty(trophy)
10.lilac(trophy)
11.issac(trophy)not golden sun issac

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
What other representation would you like to see from other indies? I made a list....
2.shovel kight(AT)
3.quote(AT)
4.super meat boy(trophy)
6.the drifter(trophy)
7.hue,val(trophy)
8.juan(AT)i wish
9.rusty(trophy)
10.lilac(trophy)
Why not Isaac and his Isaac, who are living in a small Isaac above an Isaac?
Isaac from Binding of Isaac, not Golden Sun

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
2.shovel kight(AT)
3.quote(AT)
4.super meat boy(trophy)
6.the drifter(trophy)
7.hue,val(trophy)
8.juan(AT)i wish
9.rusty(trophy)
10.lilac(trophy)
I agree with most of that actually.

I'd want Madeline (Celeste), Isaac (The Binding of Isaac), Octodad (Cuz why not?) as assist trophies too, and I know you are gonna hate me for ever saying this but... some Undertale representation. :nervous:

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
2.shovel kight(AT)
3.quote(AT)
4.super meat boy(trophy)
6.the drifter(trophy)
7.hue,val(trophy)
8.juan(AT)i wish
9.rusty(trophy)
10.lilac(trophy)
Undertale:

Sans & Papyrus as tag-team fighters.

Some trophies.

Music.

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
OK, but what about haters (or pessimists, like me) who would insist that he'd be counted as an indie due to how he was an indie in the beginning and still insist that he's more Iconic (Sorry, but I just really want us to have a good counterargument for the Iconic part)
I've had people try to use that one on me too, and my reply got downvoted on Reddit but whatever. The reality is that, in 2018, Minecraft is owned by Microsoft and will be treated as a Microsoft IP. All the legality and red tape surrounding using a major Microsoft IP in Smash will be present, unlike an actual indie game. Including Minecraft as an indie representation would do a disservice to actual indie games that didn't sell themselves to a giant video game & tech company for billions of dollars, which is about the most un-indie thing you can do to your property. You don't see small tech-upstarts being treated as small-time, grassroots collaborative efforts after they get bought out by huge companies like Facebook or Google, I don't see why video games should be treated differently.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
2.shovel kight(AT)
3.quote(AT)
4.super meat boy(trophy)
6.the drifter(trophy)
7.hue,val(trophy)
8.juan(AT)i wish
9.rusty(trophy)
10.lilac(trophy)
I could also see Quote and Curly Brace as Mii Gunner costumes

But yeah, definitely agree with Dylly about the Madeline (at least as a regular trophy I don’t know what she’d do as an assist) as well as Gunvolt and Max from Mutant Mudds as trophies

Last edited:

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't mind either. I would welcome it in fact.

Undertale's a great game, it's unfortunate that it's fanbase is well, as it is.
People say that, but I've never really seen any of these supposed toxic Undertale fans. I've only seen toxic people talk negatively about the game. Aside from the Sans Undertale = Ness memes, I don't know what earned the fanbase such vitriol.

I could also see Quote and Curly Brace as Mii Gunner costumes

But yeah, definitely agree with Dylly about the Madeline (at least as a regular trophy I don’t know what she’d do as an assist) as well as Gunvolt and Max from Mutant Mudds as trophies
Ah, the Cave Story costumes are a great idea! Reminds me of the Quote hat you can get by killing piranhas in Terraria, I used to farm for that hat on a lot of characters.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, there are some bad fanbase members, but it feels generally like every other fanbase.

Whenever I see hate against Undertale, I usually never see any reason for them to be hating in the first place, so they just seem to be hating for the sake of hating. It's like FNaF and Minecraft imo.

Last edited:

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
Yeah, there are some bad fanbase members, but it feels generally like every other fanbase.

Whenever I see hate against Undertale, I usually never see any reason for them to be hating in the first place, so they just seem to be hating for the sake of hating. It's like FNaF and Minecraft imo.
To my understanding, the hate for FNaF and Minecraft comes from the large number of vapid, clickbait-y YouTubers that make forced reaction videos while playing the games to cater to younger audiences. That sort of created a negative opinion of the games for people who don't play them. I don't believe similar circumstances exist for Undertale?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To my understanding, the hate for FNaF and Minecraft comes from the large number of vapid, clickbait-y YouTubers that make forced reaction videos while playing the games to cater to younger audiences. That sort of created a negative opinion of the games for people who don't play them. I don't believe similar circumstances exist for Undertale?
I guess; idk.

I think CaptainSparklez makes good Minecraft let's-plays, though he usually doesn't do that anymore, but he still covers new stuff in the game along with another let's-play series every now and then; maybe some of his reactions were sorta forced, but I never noticed. Even his few FNaF videos seemed alright. I don't really watch that many let's-play YouTubers, though.

I think let's-plays exist for Undertale, but the fanbase focuses on not spoiling the game for people as "it's best played blind" so y'know.

I thought the main hate towards these fanbases were the amount of children, which felt dumb imo; there's also more-noticable mature people in them nowadays anyway, or at least in Minecraft (I don't really visit the Undertale subreddit much anymore, and only visited the FNaF one a few times or so).

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hmm, well in it's heyday, lots of the popular lets players were making videos on it. I dunno, one of the worst things about some of the fanbase is how they think there is one correct way to play through the game. Some downright harassed people who didn't do their preferred way of playing the game, as in genocide route, pacifist route etc.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I've been playing Super Mario Party a tiny little bit and one of the minigames' music I've seen so far gives me big Shantae & The Pirate's Curse vibes ( the Chomp minigame starting at 0:46 ) :
It's not really constructive regarding smash, but I found it interesting to point it out
Let me know what you guys think ^^

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
Hmm, well in it's heyday, lots of the popular lets players were making videos on it. I dunno, one of the worst things about some of the fanbase is how they think there is one correct way to play through the game. Some downright harassed people who didn't do their preferred way of playing the game, as in genocide route, pacifist route etc.
For the record, getting upset over a Let's Player about how they play the game is a waste of time and energy. That said, I can somewhat understand why viewers would try and steer someone playing the game in a certain direction, as a lot of LP'ers only play a game once and if you kill someone (or don't kill someone) you get locked out of one of the two extended endings, which could give someone a false impression of everything that's in the game. I've seen plenty of LP'ers that misinterpreted or skipped over something in a game, got angry about it and started ****ting over the game in their ignorance, which can be very frustrating to watch (Arin from GameGrumps is a good example of this). Griefing a player over it is certainly overboard though.

On that note, do you know of any LP'ers who've played the Shantae games? I think of Ross of GameGrumps played one of 'em, but it's been ages since I've visited that channel.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think they're multiple arguments where Minecraft-Char is inferior to Shantae
- Potential legal issues with Microsoft
- Little history with Nintendo
- Just one game
- Character being rather ugly
- Character lacking in expression and personality
- Character not even being a real in-game character to begin with
- Potentially not a realizable fighter

The only argument I can see for him, is that he could have a unique moveset.
But would Micecraft have enough to pull from for a full fighter-moveset?
I guess that's debatable.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I've been playing Super Mario Party a tiny little bit and one of the minigames' music I've seen so far gives me big Shantae & The Pirate's Curse vibes ( the Chomp minigame starting at 0:46 ) :
It's not really constructive regarding smash, but I found it interesting to point it out
Let me know what you guys think ^^
I think it's mostly the music, but the environments have a similar colour scheme to Tan-Line Island too.

On that note, do you know of any LP'ers who've played the Shantae games? I think Ross of GameGrumps played one of 'em, but it's been ages since I've visited that channel.
Besides Game Grumps, not many. I'd say Oneyplays and Jaltoid Media are next in line though, but they're nowhere near as big as Game Grumps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom