• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
On that note, do you know of any LP'ers who've played the Shantae games? I think Ross of GameGrumps played one of 'em, but it's been ages since I've visited that channel.
More commentaries than let’s plays but BrainScratchCommentaries?

Yeah not like a lot of big let’s players, but I can list let’s players in general who’ve played Shantae games

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
But would Micecraft have enough to pull from for a full fighter-moveset?
I guess that's debatable.
-Plenty of items
-Resource-gathering + crafting/building aspect with said resources that Sakurai seems to love in the column he wrote about the game

Also, if they use the official artstyle on the website and game-cases and use expression that's in the upcoming Minecraft: Dungeons, they could make him fit in with Smash and make him expressive while sticking true to his original style and it not being creepy Story Mode animation nor weird Youtube animation.

And Sakurai has never said anything about Nintendo history, just gaming history and appearing on a Nintendo platform (as a common courtesy). Microsoft legal issues may not be a problem as they seem to let Mojang do whatever anyway.

edit: and while Minecraft is mainly one game, you can't make a sequel to it because of how it works, but it keeps getting updates while it still has spinoffs in its franchise so it's technically not just one game. Also, there are characters in Smash whom aren't real characters either; what's important is that they represent the game.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You can see mine here

I put so much into it, thinking oh boy Meloetta would be great so lets work hard on this thread, and right after I post it I'm told you made one already haha
Thanks. I like a lot of the images in there :) But it overcrowds the text because of how big they are. I think it'd be better to either make them smaller or put them in spoilers, or put them at the end so it's easier to read the main text first. Also, the dancing video is cute, but I'd put it a little later. We can talk in PM, but if you were thinking about updating it in the future too, I wouldn't mind to give you the reign of the thread so long as I can be a mellow advisor (and we could add some of the stuff I posted to yours) ;P

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I've been playing Super Mario Party a tiny little bit and one of the minigames' music I've seen so far gives me big Shantae & The Pirate's Curse vibes ( the Chomp minigame starting at 0:46 ) :
It's not really constructive regarding smash, but I found it interesting to point it out
Let me know what you guys think ^^
That's simply the use of the Arabian Music Scale, which composes of C, D, D#, F, F#, G#, A, and B notes.

More commentaries than let’s plays but BrainScratchCommentaries?

Yeah not like a lot of big let’s players, but I can list let’s players in general who’ve played Shantae games
That actually reminded me, back when Game Grumps was just GG and GG VS with Jon and Arin, when they were playing a Kirby game and they've mentioned Shantae as an example of a game that had particles emitting from a pit if that was a killer pit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

About daisy In the everyone is here art.......
She is clearly hip bumping shantae. why?
1.her feet are on the ground instead of her side B if it were her side B then her feet would be up in the air
2.they are both tomboys
3.they come from varied lands
4.they both debuted on the gamboy family of systems

#gameboygals
#shanateforsmash

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thanks. I like a lot of the images in there :) But it overcrowds the text because of how big they are. I think it'd be better to either make them smaller or put them in spoilers, or put them at the end so it's easier to read the main text first. Also, the dancing video is cute, but I'd put it a little later. We can talk in PM, but if you were thinking about updating it in the future too, I wouldn't mind to give you the reign of the thread so long as I can be a mellow advisor (and we could add some of the stuff I posted to yours) ;P
Thanks for the pointers. Yeah, I can use Thumbnails instead of full size if you think thats better. And I am up for anything, I think she is the perfect Gen 5 pokemon choice for the game, and would like to get people interested and noticing her

And yeah when I saw that video I had to have it in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks for the pointers. Yeah, I can use Thumbnails instead of full size if you think thats better. And I am up for anything, I think she is the perfect Gen 5 pokemon choice for the game, and would like to get people interested and noticing her

And yeah when I saw that video I had to have it in.
Alright sounds good to me. I liked the animated gifs I found to demonstrate a bit how it could look for meloetta to fight, so if you can add those somewhere (either at the end or in the moveset section [can be in a spoiler if there]) and maybe add the text from my post (can be in a spoiler too), I dont mind that you take over. I'll let a trusty mod know and take care of it.

Meloetta is pretty great and cute :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Alright sounds good to me. I liked the animated gifs I found to demonstrate a bit how it could look for meloetta to fight, so if you can add those somewhere (either at the end or in the moveset section [can be in a spoiler if there]) and maybe add the text from my post (can be in a spoiler too), I dont mind that you take over. I'll let a trusty mod know and take care of it.

Meloetta is pretty great and cute :)
Cool. I can do that later tonight. :) Thanks, and I'll do Meloetta proud.

Now if only people would tag and support... though since everyone and their mom is for Inceniroar I doubt we will get much traction till the DLC phase

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Now that sakurai cares about indies
What other representation would you like to see from other indies? I made a list....
1.shantae(fighter)the one and only
2.shovel kight(AT)
3.quote(AT)
4.super meat boy(trophy)
5.comandervideo(AT/trophy)I’m not sure yet
6.the drifter(trophy)
7.hue,val(trophy)
8.juan(AT)i wish
9.rusty(trophy)
10.lilac(trophy)
11.issac(trophy)not golden sun issac
Undyne as a fighter.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
It's a waiting game until something more legit than "I have a source that tells me [insert character here] is in the game" comes up.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
-Plenty of items
-Resource-gathering + crafting/building aspect with said resources that Sakurai seems to love in the column he wrote about the game

Also, if they use the official artstyle on the website and game-cases and use expression that's in the upcoming Minecraft: Dungeons, they could make him fit in with Smash and make him expressive while sticking true to his original style and it not being creepy Story Mode animation nor weird Youtube animation.

And Sakurai has never said anything about Nintendo history, just gaming history and appearing on a Nintendo platform (as a common courtesy). Microsoft legal issues may not be a problem as they seem to let Mojang do whatever anyway.
You seem very defensive about this...

Either way, expressions and personality is still something Shantae has far more of, no matter how you slice it.
Last I've seen Minecraft characters are completely unable to show emotions or any sort of personality.

And Nintendo history still seems to have the advantage over gaming history.

Also, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still Mario Kart 8.
Likewise, all of the updated Minecraft games are still the same game as well.
Treating every updated version as a new game, is a stretch in my book.

It's true that you can't really make a sequel for this game. It's pretty much an E.T. scenario.
It will forever be a one-off it seems and a very solid and popular one for that matter.
But one game is still one game, regardless.

As for legal issues: I said "Potential Legal Issues".
I didn't say legal issues are 100% certain to arise.

there are characters in Smash whom aren't real characters either; what's important is that they represent the game.
Let me guess "Inklings", "Pokemon Trainers" and "MII's", right?
Sorry to break it to you, but even those characters have more expressions and personalities.

In fact, when it comes to "Inklings", they are the most expressive Avatar-Characters I have ever seen.
Showing a variety of personalities, from "jolly", "Airheaded" and "confident" to "arrogance", "Saltiness" and "mischief".
So Inklings can be seen as their own characters with that amount of personality, despite the customization options for them.

"Pokemon Trainers" seem rather emotionless and without personality at a glance in their games.
But it's more of a Link-Situation, if you look closer.
While they don't speak, interactions with certain NPCs do suggest a certain kind of personality.
Plus the player's actions in the game's story, also add to the characters personality.
In most of the Pokemon-games, the trainers don't have facial expressions, due to their tiny sprites.
But official artwork and actions in the game's story, allow their personalties to shine through.

"MII Fighters" have no story and are pure avatar-style characters.
But even they have different facial expressions and show emotions.

So all of them have something the Minecraft-Chars do not have.
The faces of Minecraft-Chars are static and never change. They never show any emotion or any sort of personality.
And since Minecraft doesn't have a story at all, they can't even show personality and emotions that way.
The only way they can even remotely express emotions, is by hopping repeatedly. That's it!

Of course, Sakurai could still make it happen, provided he wants to do it and has a proper vision for a Minecraft-character.
But there are hurdles to overcome, if you ask me.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Either way, expressions and personality is still something Shantae has far more of, no matter how you slice it.
Last I've seen Minecraft characters are completely unable to show emotions or any sort of personality.

It's true that you can't really make a sequel for this game. It's pretty much an E.T. scenario.
It will forever be a one-off it seems and a very solid and popular one for that matter.

Sorry to break it to you, but even those characters have more expressions and personalities.

In fact, when it comes to "Inklings", they are the most expressive Avatar-Characters I have ever seen.
Showing a variety of personalities, from "jolly", "Airheaded" and "confident" to "arrogance", "Saltiness" and "mischief".
So Inklings can be seen as their own characters with that amount of personality, despite the customization options for them.

"Pokemon Trainers" seem rather emotionless and without personality at a glance in their games.
While they don't speak, interactions with certain NPCs do suggest a certain kind of personality.
Plus the player's actions in the game's story, also add to the characters personality.
In most of the Pokemon-games, the trainers don't have facial expressions, due to their tiny sprites.
But official artwork and actions in the game's story, allow their personalties to shine through.

The faces of Minecraft-Chars are static and never change. They never show any emotion or any sort of personality.
And since Minecraft doesn't have a story at all, they can't even show personality and emotions that way.
The only way they can even remotely express emotions, is by hopping repeatedly. That's it!

Of course, Sakurai could still make it happen, provided he wants to do it and has a proper vision for a Minecraft-character.
Mind if I add in something? This does not include Minecraft Story Mode, since it's not the raw Microsoft character, but rather the late Telltale Game's interpretation of the character. And even then, they still look pugly ugly, which doesn't bode well no matter how you slice it.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Mind if I add in something? This does not include Minecraft Story Mode, since it's not the raw Microsoft character, but rather the late Telltale Game's interpretation of the character. And even then, they still look pugly ugly, which doesn't bode well no matter how you slice it.
i was only talking about the original, vanilla "Minecraft" game.
Not about any mods or third-party adaptions.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
i was only talking about the original, vanilla "Minecraft" game.
Not about any mods or third-party adaptions.
I know. That's why I wanted to add it in, because knowing some people on here, they'll try to use MSM to justify Steve?'s position as a viable fighter.
Not necessarily here in the thread, but possibly elsewhere.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I know. That's why I wanted to add it in, because knowing some people on here, they'll try to use MSM to justify Steve?'s position as a viable fighter.
Truth to be told, it's the first time I heard about this.
But it seems to be in the same situation as the James Bond Movie "Never say never again": An unofficial, non-canon adaption!

D

Deleted member

There isn't much to talk about anymore. Things will hopefully pick up soon. :)

Is there anything in particular that you would like to discuss?
Yes it’s kinda weird that :ultmegaman: and :ultpeach:are there in the shantae nab reference after Matt said she would be in between :ultmegaman: and :ultpeach: but I take that as a tease also there’s a lighthouse in the pilot wings segment while showcasing aloan which eyebrow raises me. It would have made sense to put :ultdk:and:ultdiddy:with aloan because they’re primitives and he’s a big monkey but:ultbayonetta:with:ultdiddy:instead of:ultdk:still eyebrow raises me.

Also Mrs.Milky Mrs.Milky smash 3ds was my first smash game ever I played it a lot and I became obsessed with the series and I main Roy.

Because Roy’s our boi

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I first played Brawl with my cousins back when the game was first released. I was obsessed with the game at the time. I mained R.O.B back then lol.
I started with 64 because my sister still had her n64 i mainly played link then.
Most I say that rob is best waifu?

D

Deleted member

Oh god not again!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Perhaps we could discuss how we all got into smash bros?
Watching my cousin play Melee, then evetually getting it on Gamecube, the first console I owned. I find it more notable, however, for the franchises it introduced me to. Metroid in particular.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I wasn't treating every update as a new game :S

There's Minecraft, Minecraft: Story Mode, and an upcoming Minecraft: Dungeons. The maingame itself has even stood for soon-to-be a decade next year. If a game truly needs more than just 2-3 titles, we wouldn't have characters such as Olimar (and I love Pikmin so that makes me happy). Sakurai even seems to love Minecraft's survival aspect, the resource-gathering and even being able to use a simple rock as a building material, and if anyone can make Steve work, he can, just as he made up movesets for Captain Falcon and Duck Hunt.

The player can also make up a personality for their avatar, i.e. Villager if they wanted to, just do certain things or something. You can also infer Steve's personality by how he has to survive alone in a world as the only human (Minecraft Villagers aren't exactly "human" it seems), just as you infer AC Villager being peaceful based on the game's peaceful nature, even though he could swing his axe anywhere he wants (thankfully the game prevents this from being bad lol).

Why does Nintendo history matter if Sakurai only cares about them appearing on a Nintendo console, and their game is gonna gain years on it anyway? That sounds dumb that you have to wait for years until it's considered "Nintendo history." Sakurai didn't even mention this when talking about Cloud; he wanted the face of Final Fantasy, but he even mentioned that he may have had misgivings if he never appeared on a Nintendo system.

For reference on how Steve could fit in with Smash's art-style and be expressive in his own way:

Yes, other avatars have more emotion-capabilities, but they have no real personality or character anyway, with part of their character being inferred based on their world as I mentioned, just like Steve. Steve can even move his limbs in more than just 2 directions, based on an old animation and the new swimming animation. His arm even moves around a little instead of just two directions when punching.

And why do people act like Steve and Shantae are competing? They're not related, they're both third-parties so if Sakurai negotiated Shantae she's going to be in anyway, and characters don't compete with each other anyway because it's whoever Sakurai decides to add, and he can add more in DLC.

Sorry if I sound defensive; I just see things such as "Steve wouldn't fit but a stage and AT would be fine!" as if that makes any sense 'cause the stage and AT wouldn't fit either then, and it feels like people aren't taking some things into account when it comes to different parts of Minecraft, because Steve could work if you look past just him being the face of his game alongside the Creeper.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
I think they're multiple arguments where Minecraft-Char is inferior to Shantae
- Potential legal issues with Microsoft
- Little history with Nintendo
- Just one game
- Character being rather ugly
- Character lacking in expression and personality
- Character not even being a real in-game character to begin with
- Potentially not a realizable fighter

The only argument I can see for him, is that he could have a unique moveset.
But would Minecraft have enough to pull from for a full fighter-moveset?
I guess that's debatable.
Can I interrupt? I wanna give my two cents on this...

- I don't think this would be an issue. Smash is pretty huge. I think the only problem is the Character Choice. Like a barter, really. Especially Microsoft.
- But...Minecraft appeared on the Wii U...didn't it? Its been around for a bit. I can't remember, honestly. Correct me if I'm wrong.
- Sakurai could always go with the Mr. G&W or Wii Fit Trainer route and just not animate his face at all (Or at least make his face as static as possible). Why bother? Like everyone says, his face is pretty ugly. Idk, I thought this would be the easiest way.
- Countered by R.O.B, who was pretty much a Nintendo Toy back in his oldie days. Didn't do much except open doors in his games.
- I'm confused on what you mean by this. Real in-game character??
- Do you mean for the older generation or for the newer generation? In either case, everyone recognizes him, but don't WANT him.

Not gonna lie, I pretty much accepted him at this point. If he gets in, screw it. I got 70+ characters to mess around with. He'd be fun, I guess.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
I remember the N64 smash comercial that came out when I was a kid.

When we saw a game that had our favorite game characters fighting each other in it we had to get it and I have played all of the games up to date.

Also Jigglypuff has always been one of my favs to play.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Fine, believe what you wish and think I am gutter trash.

I think I said everything I had to say on this matter.
So I'm gone...

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman

So I'm gone...
What? I thought we were having an unbiased conversation, and I wanted to share my thoughts. Where did you get people calling you trash from?

When I first woke into "conciousness" first thing I saw was a gamecube controller, Smash Bros Melee, and I was playing Mario. Thats all I remember. Lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In my spare headcanoning time, I like to imagine splicing music from one franchise to another. Examples doing this for Shantae:

Mario: Slide (64) on the mermaid slide, Time Trial (Galaxy 2) when escaping the volcano, airship theme on Ammo Baron's fleet, Rogueport in Scuttle Town.
Metroid: Ing battle theme when locked with the dark blob creatures in Pirate's Curse, Chozo Ruins for Tassel Town, Torvus Bog in Mermaid Falls.
Kid Icarus: The first town theme from Uprising in Main Street.

Anyone have ideas of their own music splicing?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I remember the N64 smash comercial that came out when I was a kid.

When we saw a game that had our favorite game characters fighting each other in it we had to get it and I have played all of the games up to date.

Also Jigglypuff has always been one of my favs to play.
Why can't marketing campaigns always be like that?

Ads that actually convince the consumer to buy the product! And multiple others, in your case.

So I'm gone...
People are really taking from me now, huh?

What have I done...

Where did you get people calling you trash from?
Nah, he wasn't.

He's just pulling a good ole Dyllybirdy, and making up false, negative statements in his head. Oh no. :(

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im a legend, unlike some here I actually began with the original game, i saw the commercial as 5 year old boi. Saw it loved it, wanted Pikachu Link and Mario to fight and rented it MANY times from Blockbuster, but despite asking for it almost every birthday and Christmas I did not actually own the game itself till Christmas of 2006.

Top Bottom