• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Do you all still believe jake is still under an nda?

THIS IS THE LAST TIME IM GOING TO SAY THIS FOR REAL I WILL NOT SAY IT AGAIN!

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

THIS IS THE LAST TIME IM GOING TO SAY THIS FOR REAL I WILL NOT SAY IT AGAIN!
Haven't we been over this? He never replied to my Smash question, so the answer is a solid "maybe".

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Nah, but ya see, Connor's trying to turn into me now.

Repeating things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Hey unlike me, at least people respond to his posts no matter how often he repeats them.

Am I turning into you guys as well?

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Jake probably wouldn't need to be under an NDA since unless he's composing for Smash himself, he wouldn't have anything to do with Shantae's music in Smash due to the fact that he doesn't own Shantae's songs. I'm feeling pretty confident that he's not working on Smash since he's been doing the OST for the TV show OK KO. He likely knows as much as James Montagana does which is as much as us (nothing)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Jake probably wouldn't need to be under an NDA since unless he's composing for Smash himself, he wouldn't have anything to do with Shantae's music in Smash due to the fact that he doesn't own Shantae's songs. I'm feeling pretty confident that he's not working on Smash since he's been doing the OST for the TV show OK KO. He likely knows as much as James Montagana does which is as much as us (nothing)
When did Jake become “Mint Potion Studios”?

EDIT: I was looking up OK KO, and that’s what was listed as the music composer and it took me to Jake

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Didn't Sakurai say he contacts the composers too?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Didn't Sakurai say he contacts the composers too?
Going off of this I don't think so.

When did Jake become “Mint Potion Studios”?

EDIT: I was looking up OK KO, and that’s what was listed as the music composer and it took me to Jake
Might just be the company he works for while he works on OK KO.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Going off of this I don't think so.

Might just be the company he works for while he works on OK KO.
honestly that feels a little off putting, to just put in someone's composition without their permission

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I don't particularly think it matters if the person who made it isn't the person who owns it. That's the difference, really.
but at least an email or something like "hey we're putting your song in smash bros. dont tell anyone mkay?" would be nice

eh but you're probably right

D

Deleted member

Jake from a legal stand point, does not own the music he made, That music is owned by Matt (and maybe way forward as the legality of the games and the content within are still fully known)

So Matt can do whatever he wants with the compositions and Jake cant do anything about it.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Jake from a legal stand point, does not own the music he made, That music is owned by Matt (and maybe way forward as the legality of the games and the content within are still fully known)

So Matt can do whatever he wants with the compositions and Jake cant do anything about it.
When you put it like that....
But yeah, Matt owns the music and pays Jake to make it. If Sakurai rolled up and said "we're putting Shantae in Smash but we need songs", Matt could sign off all the beats he wanted and Jake would never know.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
*Somewhere in an Alternate Timeline Far Out in the Boundless Vastness of the Multiverse*

"Oh, hey look at this, Dylly added something meaningful to the discussion."

"WHAT! This is impossible!! Dyllybirdy's actually contributing to the thread!"

"Wow, Dylly, good job! This has boosted her chances significantly!"
To be fair, the first two happen freqeuntly with you given your gracious support, but the third is simply due to the fact its hard for ANY of us to provide that kind of effect in our posts.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
How this thread feels right now, and probably EVERY thread...

93ec7a6991bda0ea9b06950a8e9ce14d.jpg

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, this is a support thread for shantae, whether or not we can come up with something or not.
There can be fun in talking too, it just depends what we want to do and feel like, I guess :)

note: I wasn't going to change my avatar again, but reasons came up.
Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the darker backgrounds, but it'll do for now.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Should mention, Count me in as a Shantae supporter!

I don't see why she shouldn't get in, whether it be in the base game or as DLC.
If Shovel Knight is 'Mr. Indie', then Shantae might as well be 'Ms. Indie'.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Good morning!

How're you all doing?

Should mention, Count me in as a Shantae supporter!

I don't see why she shouldn't get in, whether it be in the base game or as DLC.
If Shovel Knight is 'Mr. Indie', then Shantae might as well be 'Ms. Indie'.
Well, then welcome aboard my friend!

Do be warned though, this can be a very bumpy ride.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Do be warned though, this can be a very bumpy ride.
No need to worry about bumpy rides! It'll be worth it in the end. This is coming from a guy who was a huge Ridley supporter for Smash 4, so I can handle disappointment and detractors. Out of all the Indie characters, there's no one really more qualified for a game like Smash other than Shantae. Except maybe Shovel Knight, but even if he's not a fighter, the fact he's in the game at all is evidence for Shantae's inclusion, not her exclusion.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I missed a couple of pages. Why are we talking about the Jake thing again? I thought it was understood that composers aren't contacted if they don't own the music. that's not even strictly a video game thing. Even in films if the studio owns the music they don't have to contact the original composer in order to utilize it or remix it.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, here's something interesting. Not Shantae related, but since we are always talking about Non Compete Clauses I thought it would be interesting to discuss this.

So, it was just announced that Totaku would be making a figure of Banjo & Kazooie.

This makes me wonder if this could affect their chances at all. No, Nintendo wouldn't tell a company not to make merchandise, but since they came out it was pretty clear that Totaku were designed to be an amiibo competitor. Mainly that they are there for all the characters who (mostly) could never become an amiibo because they don't have any or enough Nintendo presence.

So, ever smash character will eventually get an amiibo So were B&K added they would have an amiibo of them out at a relative closeness to when this figure is out. Do you guys think this is something Nintendo would be cool with?

Some other things to consider. Kotaku has made a Sonic figure (all be it Classic Sonic) and a Ryu figure (tho it is listed as specifically being SF 5 Ryu) This could write off the argument entirely by saying "well, they are in the game and have Totaku figures, so doesn't matter" but at the same time you could argue that either "the totaku figures are different representations of the characters not present in Smash" or "they were in Smash first and their amiibo were released long before they had to compete with Totaku, so perhaps Nintendo stopped caring about that for them as they already made their money off them"

What do you guys think? Personally I really would like B&K to be in the game (tho as DLC so Microsoft doesn't get a cut of every version of the game sold) but I do feel like if they had plans on getting their own amiibo they would have agreed to let Totaku have their license.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
It's that time again boys. The daily dose of...….

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Leaks there was someone who leaked that we'll be getting Shantae on October 9th. I doubt it's real seeing as the person had a Shantae Avatar meaning they are probably a little Biased. It's just something to freak out about just in case the Direct is announced on October 9th.

For More information, here's the video where I heard about the leak.

DoctorFate DoctorFate it’s this one

Top Bottom