• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Shantae thread op.

Time for a change for me.

How's everybody?

Looking to seeing news on a direct within the next weeks.
Other than that, will be skirting around, taking things easy.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't see the issue though. Pokemon Trainer's swapping and Shantae's transformation may be similar in a fighting game but Shantae's transformations have always been limited in application and I think @Wademan94 's idea of giving her transformations one normal move and one special move is the perfect way to represent the character without her taking the work of two or three characters like PT does.
Shantae's issue is she has so much to pull from that putting it all in one moveset is difficult since things like her figher gear and her pirate gear kind of overlap in that both of them would work as a down air but both are so different and so unique that it's tough to pick. For example, Shantae could transform into a Harpy for her Up B, but she could also ride a thunder cloud, but she could ALSO use the cannons from Pirate's Curse.
Narrowing down her moveset is a real challenge but I think transformations should be a special move rather than temporary Smash attack transformations.
I don't care if simplified transformations take less work, anything less than full movesets for them and they're blatantly inferior to Pokemon Trainer, who can switch freely, has no restrictions on how long he can stay in a given form and and has full movesets for each. Heck, even Monado Arts are better since Shulk more or less can still do everything he normally can when he shifts. Two moves max for each transformation is pathetic, and does nothing but telegraph your intentions.

I won't disagree that some people feel that the Pirate Gear would fit Risky better than Shantae, but if we're going to get in, it'll be very unlikely we're going to get both Shantae and Risky Boots. That's why there should be a combination, perhaps with slightly more magic than pirate gear, but it'll be a compromise between the normal Shantae and PC Shantae.
I don't see why we should be shy about getting two third parties for one franchise since Simon & Richter smashed that little "restriction". And don't play the "echo" card, absolutely no one expected Richter because everyone thought Simon was the only Castlevania rep with a chance.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Shantae thread op.

How's everybody?

Looking to seeing news on a direct within the next week.
I don't like when you change your avatar, it takes a long time to get used to, and it makes me feel really uncomfortable at first.

I'm not okay, this is all making me feel icky.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't like when you change your avatar, it takes a long time to get used to, and it makes me feel really uncomfortable at first.

Sorry to hear that dylly.

With new seasons come new changes.

It'll be ok.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Did you know you're the reason I changed my avatar a while back?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I don't care if simplified transformations take less work, anything less than full movesets for them and they're blatantly inferior to Pokemon Trainer, who can switch freely, has no restrictions on how long he can stay in a given form and and has full movesets for each. Heck, even Monado Arts are better since Shulk more or less can still do everything he normally can when he shifts.
But the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon are full on different characters as counted by the website, Shantae's transformations have always been limited to one or two moves even in their home game, it makes sense for her transformations to lack a full moveset because she would still be able to fight perfectly well in her human form, meaning Shantae would really be more like 1.5 of a fighter, but still.
Not to mention the forms themselves have never been depicted as verisitle outside of maybe Monkey. Imagine trying to do aerials as an Elephant or coming up with special moves for the Spider that aren't made up. Spider has never done anything more than spit venom and shoot web. That being said, Shantae shares nothing with PT outside of being able to transform. They would both use transformation differently and have different strengths and weaknesses due to it.
Two moves max for each transformation is pathetic, and does nothing but telegraph your intentions.
And? Shulk's intentions are also extremely telegraphed when he swaps Monado. "Oh, he went Smash, I wonder what he's gonna do next...." Your supposed solution of making up entire movesets for each of her forms would not only be untrue to the source material, but also make Shantae a bigger hassle to develop than nearly any other character in the game.
I don't see why we should be shy about getting two third parties for one franchise since Simon & Richter smashed that little "restriction". And don't play the "echo" card, absolutely no one expected Richter because everyone thought Simon was the only Castlevania rep with a chance.
The difference is that Simon and Richter occupy the same slot and copy moves off of one another, Sakurai even said that it's "unclear who's echoing who" because he drew from both of them to make Simon. Risky would not share animations with Shantae, and it's impossible to make Risky and Echo because she cant use magic or fight with her hair, meaning if Risky were to make the cut she would need to be a full on newcomer, and while I would LOVE to have 2 unique Shantae reps, we don't even have one yet and there are other villains like Eggman who have been in line way longer yet still aren't in the game.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Shantae thread op.

How's everybody?

Looking to seeing news on a direct within the next weeks.
It's been a little rough, but I have a four day weekend after tomorrow (uni calls it Fall Break but it's really a bastardized version of a break imo) and Super Mario Party coming out just in time to keep me company.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
There's a definite difference between the two. One had both of their characters who were popular in the ballots. The other has one character going all-in. And we're the latter in this case, while Castlevania with their Belmonts (and Alucard as the Assist) is the former. Really, though, it's better to at least get a "foot in the door" if you will. Solid Snake was Konami's foot. And if our evidence bears fruit, then Shantae will be that foot for WayForward and the indie scene at large, replacing Shovel Knight as the current foot.

D

Deleted member

1999-:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:
2001-:ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw:
2008-:ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:
2014/2016-:ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:
2018-:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle:.........?

Sorry I got distracted I just love these stock icons!

Last edited by a moderator:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this was discussed before, a long while back.

But Shantae already wears a lot of gold on her, so it doesn't necessarily have to represent the transformations. But, I thought we abandoned Sakurai's quirky interior design pages ago...
Sounds right.
With a suspected new character on the horizon I wanted to open the convo as to why Shantae could be the next reveal. Nothing other than the room to really go off of. And what Teeb said about her hype ebbing due to unknown circumstances.
honestly, guess I'm just bored.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Sounds right.
With a suspected new character on the horizon I wanted to open the convo as to why Shantae could be the next reveal. Nothing other than the room to really go off of. And what Teeb said about her hype ebbing due to unknown circumstances.
I figured the yellow chair was in reference to Isabelle and Shantae was the purple.

D

Deleted member

Sounds right.
Can you open the convo to me in a conversation please?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I wouldn't say hype is ebbing, more just like things are slowing down due to the lack of any updates.

Also Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy , I changed my avatar for you too. :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon are full on different characters as counted by the website, Shantae's transformations have always been limited to one or two moves even in their home game, it makes sense for her transformations to lack a full moveset because she would still be able to fight perfectly well in her human form, meaning Shantae would really be more like 1.5 of a fighter, but still.
Not to mention the forms themselves have never been depicted as verisitle outside of maybe Monkey. Imagine trying to do aerials as an Elephant or coming up with special moves for the Spider that aren't made up. Spider has never done anything more than spit venom and shoot web. That being said, Shantae shares nothing with PT outside of being able to transform. They would both use transformation differently and have different strengths and weaknesses due to it.

And? Shulk's intentions are also extremely telegraphed when he swaps Monado. "Oh, he went Smash, I wonder what he's gonna do next...." Your supposed solution of making up entire movesets for each of her forms would not only be untrue to the source material, but also make Shantae a bigger hassle to develop than nearly any other character in the game.

The difference is that Simon and Richter occupy the same slot and copy moves off of one another, Sakurai even said that it's "unclear who's echoing who" because he drew from both of them to make Simon. Risky would not share animations with Shantae, and it's impossible to make Risky and Echo because she cant use magic or fight with her hair, meaning if Risky were to make the cut she would need to be a full on newcomer, and while I would LOVE to have 2 unique Shantae reps, we don't even have one yet and there are other villains like Eggman who have been in line way longer yet still aren't in the game.
So... you want the transformations to be incredibly situational just because that's how they worked in the games? My moveset stays true to their small movepools but just implements them in a way that doesn't require a clunky dance just to use them, but you can do one anyway to get extra oomph out of them. Did you even read it?

Of course they wouldn't give each transformation a full moveset, that would cause the opposite problem where now Pokemon Trainer is the obsolete one since Shantae has more than him. But what does your suggestion offer over him other than being "different"? I abhor adherence to canon over actual gameplay balance. Sometimes you just have to accept some mechanics don't transition well into a different format without adjustments. Stuff like type matchups, or vision counters, or Bayo's dumb ladder combos. I'll admit to some Spider bias in my proposed moveset, but none of it's actual functions can work in Smash.

Monado Arts may telegraph Shulk's intentions to some extent, but they don't tell you HOW he's going to act on them because he he still has a full moveset to use. So Smash means he's looking for an early KO. Do you know if he's gonna throw you to make it happen? Or is it an edgeguard? Or ledgeguard? Meanwhile, if Shantae becomes an elephant, you are 100% safe if you jump in the air since it only has a forward dash and itself cannot jump to save it's life.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My gut tells me that :ultisabelle: wasn't the only one originally planned for the direct.
Remember connor, theories are just theories, especially ones that have farfetched connections.

Doesn't mean we can't be open to good stuff to come though :)

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, wait it out until Nintendo Themselves makes a move. Those are stale moves that the community is making to attempt to fill the void.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
*Humming*

Oh, huh, maybe I'll pop into the Shantae thread for a little while.
I wonder what what they're up to now...
What in the name of sanity is that hideous thing!

Is that a framed picture of Connor on the wall?
What's going on here?

This is definitely not

Sigh.........when will these nightmares end?
When you are rid from this world.

GOTTEM.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
LaxChris makes these leak vids for views.

He went over a leak with Ninten when it was an obvious fake, as it used a fan-design for Ninten right down to the cap, and the graphics and models were the same as Brawl. Ninten himself in that pic is just a costume for Ness in Project M :S

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
LaxChris makes these leak vids for views.

He went over a leak with Ninten when it was an obvious fake, as it used a fan-design for Ninten right down to the cap, and the graphics and models were the same as Brawl. Ninten himself in that pic is just a costume for Ness in Project M :S
Wow. I don't think I would have as much personal hate towards this coward, but here we are! Jesus, I think I would prefer Verge open up a YouTube account and make every video about his leaks than stay with this Judasian coward. Now, he's not bad like an obnoxious brat who was groomed by the Disney Channel, but he's getting there somehow, while reaping the rewards of a leak video.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
I think you're jumping to far ahead, my friend. Everyone is speculating DLC. To be fair, we don't even know if there is going to be DLC because Sakurai has stated that he doesn't plan DLC till the game is finished.

Good try tho.
Exactly what I was implying if verg is a real leaker with inside sources he would not have to resort to speculating at all Because DLC has not been mentioned officially.

All of his older "leaks" were straight forward and to the point whitch is all he needs to do. He already told us that we are supposedly getting a square rep and that he wants to protect his sources by not stating who it is.

I find it strange that he needed to elaborate on the case at how square may possibly be handling a smash inclusion with fake info with their employes thats just odd to me. Especially since Cloud's inclusion was handled very well because the few people who knew were most likely the higher ups.

It's not like many people at square should even know there is any smash inclusion at all as far as we know only some of the higher ups should know this after all they would not be the one's making the said character at their own studio it would be made at nintendo's studio.

For example that would be like stating Shantae was in but you could not tell people the name of the character because your sources would lose there job and on top of that the higher ups are telling the employes at wayforward there is a smash character in but feeding different character names to different people to see who would leak thats just stupid you would keep your cards close to your chest to have the best chance at avoiding leaks.

All in all its just strange to me... Now that I think about it it would be odd if his source was at square unless its one of the higher ups that are leaking to him but that would contradict the fact that square does infact dispise leaks and if his sources are nintendo one's he would not have to worry as he does not protect them anyway cause he has stated all the characters that he knew that are from nintendo's side.

Anyways either he does have a legit square source or he is a big shot attention w***e troll who is scrambling to guess at this point cuase he lost his original sources and constantly is getting bugged to say more by his zombie horde followers.

We shall see shrug.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I know that LaxChris will lose the flame once Sakurai announces more information to confirm what character is in or not and the modes (Talk about that blurred mode people predicting called Spirits)

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Leaks there was someone who leaked that we'll be getting Shantae on October 9th. I doubt it's real seeing as the person had a Shantae Avatar meaning they are probably a little Biased. It's just something to freak out about just in case the Direct is announced on October 9th.

For More information, here's the video where I heard about the leak.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
not wanting to bring up the old wounds, but what are people still using to go against Shantae on her possible inclusion in Smash Ultimate?

Top Bottom