• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Going back to the voice acting point for a second, I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’ve heard Cristina so much that I instantly recognize her no matter which voice of hers she’s doing so I’m afraid that it would get old to me rather quickly considering how much Risky and Shantae speak and interact with each other in this series.

Maybe it’s because seeing how many projects she’s part of lately, I don’t know if she’ll have the time to fully voice both Shantae and Risky (Rick and Morty at least was co-created by the same guy who voiced them, and he isn’t as involved in as many projects as her)

I will say on a more personal reason that I don’t dislike her Risky voice, but I just think that there are voice actresses with more fitting voices for that character.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Going back to the voice acting point for a second, I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’ve heard Cristina so much that I instantly recognize her no matter which voice of hers she’s doing so I’m afraid that it would get old to me rather quickly considering how much Risky and Shantae speak and interact with each other in this series.

Maybe it’s because seeing how many projects she’s part of lately, I don’t know if she’ll have the time to fully voice both Shantae and Risky (Rick and Morty at least was co-created by the same guy who voiced them, and he isn’t as involved in as many projects as her)

I will say on a more personal reason that I don’t dislike her Risky voice, but I just think that there are voice actresses with more fitting voices for that character.
I think it is a lot cheaper to hire ONE VA that can do two roles rather than two.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think it is a lot cheaper to hire ONE VA that can do two roles rather than two.
Well of course, but if there was the opportunity to have this series fully voiced, (either an animated series or even a another game) and if they were able to get more voice actors for her friends, I see no reason why they couldn’t get someone separate to voice Risky if given the opportunity.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
I think Vee does a stellar job as Risky.

Her range is impeccable so she sounds drastically different that the starring half genie.

She is easily one of my fave modern dubbing artists in the industry.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Like I said, maybe it’s because I’ve heard Cristina’s voice so much that I can spot it almost immediately no matter what tone she’s using, I probably wouldn’t have that much of a problem if roughly 70% of the dialogue from the series didn’t come from Shantae and Risky and if most of that didn’t come from interacting with each other. I honestly think it’d get tiring for both her and the audience after a while. I also just think there are more fitting voices for Risky regardless.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Like I said, maybe it’s because I’ve heard Cristina’s voice so much that I can spot it almost immediately no matter what tone she’s using, I probably wouldn’t have that much of a problem if roughly 70% of the dialogue from the series didn’t come from Shantae and Risky and if most of that didn’t come from interacting with each other. I honestly think it’d get tiring for both her and the audience after a while. I also just think there are more fitting voices for Risky regardless.
Yeah, that's the worst thing about the series.

Not enough Rottytops dialogue.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Welp, I recently checked out the first game again.
And for the longest time, it felt different from the games that followed.
I don't just mean the gameplay-style going from Metroidvania to Seperate Levels.

There are a couple of reasons for it:
- While later Shantae games were known for its over the top humor, the first one, while still having funny moments, feels more grounded.
- The Genie's felt very different in this game, compared to what they ended up being in HGH.
- The Mayor felt like a completely different character in the sequels.
- The Overworld and most areas not returning in the later games. (Might be because it was the first game for me, but I grew to love this overworld)
- Different towns with different kinds of people, making Sequin Land feel grander and more vibrant.
- The Arabian-style music.

Especially the last one is noticable for me.
And I don't think the later games capture the Arabian-Style nearly as much as the first game.
Both in world-design and especially music.
The soundtrack of the first Shantae sounded very arabian, despite the technical limitations of the Game Boy Color.
And if we jump forward to Half Genie Hero, I can't remember it having a single track that even remotely sounds like that.

I'm not saying HGH is a bad game, far from it.
All the Shantae games are still awesome games and this isn't a big issue.

Though I think it is too bad that the arabian spirit of Shantae seems to have disappeared over time, save for Scuttle Town and character clothing.

D

Deleted member

Who cares about the voice acting I like it when cristina voices both shantae and risky and it’s fine for me.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, so I was thinking of how Shantae would transform in Smash. You know how Shulk does his Monado Artes in Ultimate?
Shulk_Smash_Bros_Ultimate_Arts.png

Shantae could access her transformations the exact same way, this is how it worked in HGH.
1538684409053.png

It'd probably be mapped to her Down B entirely so Kirby wouldn't get it as a copy ability but this would give her at least 3 of her transformations and free up the rest of her specials and normals for all the other stuff she does in her games.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh yeah, so I was thinking of how Shantae would transform in Smash. You know how Shulk does his Monado Artes in Ultimate?
View attachment 168117
Shantae could access her transformations the exact same way, this is how it worked in HGH.
View attachment 168116

It'd probably be mapped to her Down B entirely so Kirby wouldn't get it as a copy ability but this would give her at least 3 of her transformations and free up the rest of her specials and normals for all the other stuff she does in her games.
That method is exactly how I picture it happening for this game and I've applied it to my own moveset ideas, though I still think it'd be a bit cumbersome to activate that direction menu with anything other than neutral special even if there wasn't a transformation mapped to that direction. For the Kirby situation I have two options:
1. Just gets a hat based off the monkey and copies the monkey dash ability (to be fair he hasn't copied a dash ability yet)
2. Give him access to the directional menu, but he just gains hats off the animals and the ability mapped to special (for my moveset, it's Monkey Dash, Elephant Stomp, Spider Venom, and Harpy Feathers aka HGH's Harpy Talon)

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
That method is exactly how I picture it happening for this game and I've applied it to my own moveset ideas, though I still think it'd be a bit cumbersome to activate that direction menu with anything other than neutral special even if there wasn't a transformation mapped to that direction. For the Kirby situation I have two options:
1. Just gets a hat based off the monkey and copies the monkey dash ability (to be fair he hasn't copied a dash ability yet)
2. Give him access to the directional menu, but he just gains hats off the animals and the ability mapped to special (for my moveset, it's Monkey Dash, Elephant Stomp, Spider Venom, and Harpy Feathers aka HGH's Harpy Talon)
I think the first option is definitely better. Even if Kirby gets all of Shulk's Monado, they aren't full transformations and are rather stat changes so it makes sense, but him getting access to all of Shantae's transformations is wild.

It's not like Kirby hasn't had abridged versions of other characters' moves before either, for example when he copies Olimar, he plucks a Pikmin then immediately throws it. If he only got access to the basic Moneky Bullet, it would keep it balanced from both a gameplay and development standpoint.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
View attachment 168117
View attachment 168116

This isn't new exactly.
Heck, I came up with the same idea earlier. And I am sure many other people did as well.
Because it's obvious, really.

But thanks for the visualization.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think the first option is definitely better. Even if Kirby gets all of Shulk's Monado, they aren't full transformations and are rather stat changes so it makes sense, but him getting access to all of Shantae's transformations is wild.
For the second option, I said he’d get hats based off the animal forms, not the full transformation and he’d just select the special move

Just to put things in a bit more perspective, my moveset has the forms perform two moves, one attack and one special, and the forms would only last around as long as the Monado Arts, but you can cancel out them anytime with possibly shield B like with the Inklings. For Kirby’s case, I think it could last just as long and disappear after similar to Robin just so he’s not constantly switching special moves.

Though if it has to go with just the Monkey Dash I wouldn’t mind since he’s never copied a move like that, closest move would probably be Sonic’s Homing Attack

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
This isn't new exactly.
Heck, I came up with the same idea earlier. And I am sure many other people did as well.
Because it's obvious, really.

But thanks for the visualization.
oof, I haven't really seen moveset speculation since I got here so I guess I missed it, can you guys post your movesets? I'm really interested in seeing them!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
oof, I haven't really seen moveset speculation since I got here so I guess I missed it, can you guys post your movesets? I'm really interested in seeing them!
Might as well, it's been a LOT of pages since I posted my moveset ideas:

On-screen Entrance: Shantae flies in with Sky on Wrench and hops onto the stage saying "Ret-2-Go!"

Neutral Attack: whips her hair to attack up to 3-times in succession (Both the down tilt and neutral aerial also use the hair whip)
Dash Attack: Slides forward with her feet up (Rottytops race from GBC game)
Forward Tilt: Power Kick from Pirate’s Curse
Up Tilt: She manually pushes her ponytail upward to have it whip opponents from above

Forward Smash: Elbow dash from the first Shantae game, propels her forward a good distance
Down Smash: Puts her hands together and shakes her hips forward then backward (uses the dance mapped to the A button in the first game/elephant dance from Risky’s Revenge)
Up Smash: 2-hit spin kick from the first Shantae game, the kick could potentially knock any opponents in front of her upwards to get hit by the somersault

Forward Aerial: Based off her twirl attack from the first game, she spins around ballerina style with her hair hitting opponents as she twirls around. Propels her forward in the air
Back Aerial: Thrusts her hip back similar to Peach
Up Aerial: In a pose similar to her Half-Genie Hero artwork, she thrusts her hand upward with a Fireball in her hand
Down Aerial: The drill attack from the first game, similar to Sonic’s Down air, but can hit an opponent more than once.

Grab: non-tether grab and she pummels her opponent by using her hip.
Forward Throw: She hair-whips her opponent.
Back Throw: Throws her opponent behind her while using Flamethrower to torch her opponent, hits multiple times
Up Throw: Tosses her opponent up and hits them with multiple scimitars orbiting around her
Down Throw: Throws her opponent to the ground and uses Super Mega Puff to shock her opponent

Neutral Special: Transformation Dance, similar to Half-Genie Hero, Shantae dances and activates a selection of transformations around her and must select a direction to transform similar to Shulk’s new Monado Arts activation (lasts for 10-15 sec., shield and B to cancel out) Each Transformation would have one attack and one special attack

Forward-Monkey (Low Damage and more taken, High Jump, Wall Climb)
Attack: Monkey Claw (arching slash, can be used to juggle opponents)
Special: Monkey Bullet (weak but fast dash, slightly slower than Fox Illusion)

Down-Elephant (Low Speed and Jump, High Knockback and Less Taken)
Attack: Elephant Dash (slow but powerful dash attack)
Special: Elephant Stomp (high knockback)

Back-Spider (double jump allows her to use webbing to pull herself up if a surface is above, also capable of grabbing enemies and pulling them to her to jump off of)
Attack: Spider Leg (performs an uppercut with her frontal leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy in HGH, effectively attacks enemies above her)
Special: Spider Venom (continuously deals damage similar to flowers)

Up-Harpy (Less Traction and Floaty, Multiple Jumps)
Attack: Harpy Talon (overhead slash, potential meteor smash)
Special: Harpy Feather (low damage, but can fire multiple at a time)

Side Special: Triple Fireball-shoots out three fire balls-one straight forward, one angled upward, and one angled down.

Up Special: Storm Puff-summons a Storm Puff to hang on to as it floats upwards for a bit, the puff will send thunder down at its peak and disappear after. She can jump off at any time, but if she hangs on too long she’ll be shocked off in the direction she’s facing (no damage).

Down Special: Pike Ball-similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, one Pike Ball revolves around Shantae. It lasts a bit longer but can’t be thrown.

Final Smash: Half-Genie’s Power: To start, Shantae would transform into the mermaid to trap her opponents in bubbles which would gather into one, then all her main transformations from HGH (Mermaid, Spider, Harpy, Monkey, and if they have time to model them out: Crab, Bat, and Mouse) fly back and forth across the screen to attack the captured opponents, and finally she’d fly up off-screen to smash the opponents to the ground with the giant elephant and send them flying. (inspired by several attacks Shantae uses for her boss at the end of Pirate Queen’s Quest) The background of the stage would change to resemble the Genie Realm from HGH.

Her taunts would consist of some of the belly dances from the GBA game, specifically the ones mapped to the D-Pad (potential Easter egg could have you transform to a Tinkerbat for a moment when you put in the button combination for that dance)

Idle Animations:
-Straightening out her hair like in Pirate’s Curse
-Places her hand on her hip and puts out her finger to create a dancing flame (cover art for Risky’s Revenge)
-Imitates Rottytop’s idle stance for a bit

Victory Animations:
-Spinning around in midair like she does when she completes a stage from her games
-Her flying in her monkey form to grab a gem, then transforming back to perform a dance (like in Super Shantae NAB)
-Landing from a jump and performing her Stage Clear pose from HGH

Victory Fanfare: Stage Clear jingle from Half-Genie Hero

Palettes/Alt. Costumes:
-Default/Red
-Blue: The blue palette swap Backer costume
-Purple: Based off Nega Shantae (eyes would be yellow and pupil less)
-Green: Based off Rottytops
-Yellow: Based off Sky
-Navy: Based off Bolo
-Pirate: Based off her pirate outfit from Pirate’s Curse
-Jammies: Based off her pajamas from Pirate’s Curse/Half-Genie Hero

Other Details:
-She has the ability to crawl (along with the butt wiggling animation).
-Her default idle stance would be her full health dancing animation in Pirate’s Curse and Half Genie Hero, but it'd change depending on the damage she's taken like in those two games.
-Air dodge would resemble the Recovery move from Pirate’s Curse
-Her Screen KO animation would resemble the one used in the Officer costume

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Welp, here you go.

Even though this has probably been done before, I wanted to share my ideas for a possible Smash-Moveset for Shantae.
It will mostly focus on the original game, with some stuff from the later games.

None of my movesets will include the Pirate's Gear, since everyone seems to use them for their moveset suggestions.

I have different movesets, depending on how her transformations are used.
But I will start with the attacks, that would be the same for all movesets.

Jab: Hair Whip
D-Tilt: Crouching Hair Whip

Both come straight from the Shantae games, as her signature attack.
Her Hair Whip has less range than Simon's Holy Whip, but is faster and can be used in rapid succession.
Each hit knocks the opponent back a little, making infinite combo's impossible.

S-Tilt: Roundhouse Kick
Shantae's Kick Attack from Pirate's Curse.

U-Tilt: Rising Kick
Ground-Version of Shantae's "Rising Kick" from the first game.

Dash: Elbow Charge
Another "Fighter's Gear" move returning from the first game.

Grab: Hair Toss
Ties up the opponent with her hair.
Pummel the opponent with knee strikes and then simply toss them with your hair in any direction!

N-Air: Tiara Spin
Spinning Attack, hitting in all directions around her.
Just like the same "Fighter's Gear" move from the first game.

U-Air: Aerial Rising Kick
Same as her U-Tilt but in the air.
Resembles her "Fighter's Gear" move more closely (except it doesn't lift her up)

D-Air: Drill Kick
And the last of her "Fighter's Gear" moves from the first game.
The Drill Kick works pretty much like in said game, except it's faster and goes straight down (not diagonal down, like in the actual game).
Of course, it can be used to spike the opponent.

F-Air: Forward Spin
Hits forward with her hair, while spinning.

B-Air: Backflip Kick
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Neutral Special: Fireball/Flash Bolt/Flamethrower
Fire a Fireball projectile forward. Can be charged.
Middle Charge turns it into the Flash Bolt from the original game, firing three projectiles.
And at maximum charge it becomes the Flamethrower attack, that made its debut in Risky's Revenge.

Side Special: Storm Puff
Sends out a small cloud, moving into a direction of your choosing and letting out a couple lightning strikes on its way before it disappears.
Can be delayed by holding the button or cancelled by Shielding.

And that covers the attacks, that would be the same for all movesets I have thought up.

Now for the interesting part...
I have two possible movesets, using her transformations in different ways.

Moveset 1: Smash-Transformations
The simplest way to use Shantae's Transformations, is to use her in Smash and Special Attacks.
She quickly transforms into her forms for the attack and then reverts right back after the attack.
And so, the attacks are as follows:

F-Smash: Monkey Bullet
Changes into a Monkey and performs her Monkey Bullet.
Reaches further than normal Smash-Attacks, but has less knockback.

D-Smash: Elephant Stomp
Changes into an Elephant and performs a stomp-attack, causing a shockwave that hits opponents around her.

U-Smash: Spider Web
Changes into a Spider and fires a Spider String upwards.
If it connects, it grabs the opponent, slams him into the ground and launches them upwards.

Up Special: Harpy Flight
Changes into Harpy Form, allowing Shantae to fly freely for a short time, before the transformation runs out.
Pure Recovery Move!

Down Special: Pike Ball
Shantae uses three Pike Balls flying around her, blocking projectiles and dealing minor damage to opponents on direct contact.
The Pike Balls have limited hits. After a certain number of blocked projectiles or direct hits, they will disappear.
Shantae can also throw the Pike Balls in an arc, by pressing the command again, while the Pike Balls are up.

Moveset 2: Special-Transformations
This moveset is more faithful to how the transformations work in the games, but is also a little more complex.

F-Smash: Power Whip
A powerful Hair Whip Attack with more range and power, but only single hit.
Yes, that means her hair grows longer during an F-Smash.
Referencing the upgrade from the games, that makes her hair longer, giving it more range.

U-Smash: Ponytail Arc
Swings her hair in an arc upwards, covering a wide area above her.

D-Smash: Pike Balls/Fireballs
Uses Pike Balls to hit opponents on both sides.
At maximum charge, it becomes the Fireball Item from the first game!
(FYI, in the first game, the Fireballs weren't a projectile, but rather an upgraded Pike Ball)

Up Special: Float Muffin
Launches her into the air, while also ramming anyone in her way.

Down Special: Transformation Dance
This is where the complex part of this moveset, comes into play.
Holding down the button will make Shantae start dancing.
While she dances, you have four transformation-options. Monkey, Elephant, Spider and Harpy. (The original four!)
Each Transformation is tied to one of four directions. Like Shulk's new Monado Art Wheel!
Pressing the corresponding button, allows you to turn into said form.
To stop dancing, simply let go of the B-Button without pressing a direction and you cancel the move without transforming.

You can only stay transformed for a limited time.
If you want to revert back into Shantae, before the time limit is up, press Down-B again.
(The Transformations are timed, since I fear they might be very exploitable, even with the weaknesses they have.)

Transformations excel at different roles, but their movesets are very simplified.
They have no Smash Attacks or Grabs. And they only have a single Special Attack (Two if you count the reverting back to Shantae).
This is because making full movesets for each and every form, would be a very daunting task.
With limited and simplified movesets, I figured the transformations as specials, would be more realizable.

Monkey Form
The Monkey Form excels at swift attacks, that don't hit very hard but are fast and can rack up damage quickly.
A unleashes quick, rapid attacks with the Monkey Claw. And B allows you to leap forward with the Monkey Bullet.
You can even direct it!
The Monkey Form is small, but also very light. Meaning it can be knocked off very early!

Elephant Form
The Elephant Form may be very slow, but it hits very hard.
Perform a ramming attack with A and a Stomp-Attack with B, with a rather wide range.
You can even damage opponents simply by landing on top of them.
The Elephant Form is powerful and also a tank. Due to its weight, it can take quite a lot of punishment.
But it comes at the cost of pitiful air capabilities, very low jumps and worse recovery options than even Little Mac.

Spider Form
The Spider Form is a trickster, excelling at zoning.
Use your Spider Venom with A to hit opponents from a distance and use your Zip Line with B.
You can direct the Zip Line and do lots of things with it.
If you hit an opponent you can throw them.
If you hit the ground, you will make a spider web, that lasts for limited amount of time, slowing down opponents that walk into it.
And if you hit a wall or ceiling you can stick onto them.
You can even use the Spider Venom from these positions!
However, the Spider Form is rather weak in close-range combat. So keep your distance!

Harpy Form
The Harpy Form excels at aerial combat. Having multiple air jumps.
Use your Talon-Attack with A and use a spinning attack with B. Keep holding down B, while in the air, to glide for a limited time.
Her Recovery is phenomenal for obvious reasons.
The Harpy Form is swift and strong in the air. But not so much on the ground, where she is slower.
Also, while not as vulnerable as the Monkey Form, she can still be knocked off a little easier than normal.

And here we have the two possible ways the transformations could be handled.
Which one do you prefer? Or do you have a better idea?

As for her "Final Smash"
Either "Dance Parlor", "Obliberate" or "Friends til the End"
Enough said.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Time for me to take another stab at a possible Shantae moveset. This time with a new twist that I thought of:

We'll start with the neutral special as it's the focal point. When used, you can select a dance (monkey, elephant, spider and harpy) by inputting a direction afterwards. Instead of actually transforming into the creature then and there, however, it instead powers up moves and actions using them automatically. Her dash, for example, has her turn into a monkey. Performing the monkey dance will make it faster. With that out of the way we can move on to the rest of the moves...

Ground moves

Jab: Hair whipping. Extends into a multihit.
Ftilt: The power kick from Pirate's Curse.
Dtilt: Low hair whipping. Also extends into a multihit, uniquely for a tilt.
Utilt: The uppercut kick from the original Shantae.
Fsmash: The elephant dash. When powered up, does much more knockback, travels further and has armour.
Dsmash: An elephant stomp producing a shockwave. Powered up, makes a bigger, more damaging one.
Usmash: An overhead Storm Puff.
Dash Attack: Monkey Bullet. Powered up, increased distance and decreased endlag.

Grabs and throws

Grab: The spider form from Half-Genie Hero launches a strand of web forward to ensnare targets. Powered up, range increases.
Pummel: Pinches opponents with shears. Powered up, speed increases.
Fthrow: Chucks opponent forward. Powered up, additionally spits a venom ball at tossed opponent for constant damage.
Bthrow: Swings opponent overhead to slam behind. Powered up, slams several times on both sides.
Uthrow: Tosses opponent up. Powered up, slashes with a leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy.
Dthrow: Slams opponent in front. Powered up, additionally pounces on opponent.

Aerials

Nair: A twirl, similar to the victory animation in Pirate's Curse.
Fair: Aerial hair whip.
Bair: A backward kick.
Uair: The drill kick from the original... but aimed upwards.
Dair: Elephant stomp. Powered up, gains armour and starts up faster.
Zair: A strand of web launched from spider used to attack. Powered up, this becomes an air grab that automatically slams opponent into the ground upon a hit.

Specials

Neutral: Dance to power up certain moves.
Side: Fireball. Can be charged to a spread shot or powerful flamethrower.
Up: Harpy Flight. Fly around as a Harpy for a limited time. Powered up, lasts longer and gains access to a talon swipe with A and feather projectile with B.
Down: Pike Ball: a single pike ball orbits Shantae. Can freely use moves while active, unlike Leaf Shield, but can't be thrown.
Long story short, I feel trying to give Shantae full-on transformations is a recipe for disaster, she won't be able to escape negative comparisons to Pokemon Trainer. And pirate gear is tough to implement without stepping on the toes of her magic and vice-versa.

There is the concern I didn't recognize about what Kirby would do when he copies the dance move. Maybe he'd just get more mundane buffs to his moves, or spontaneously gain access to some of Shantae's with the right dance.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
So after the blue book thing, I decided to go back to the 8/8 direct to see if any other coincidences line up.
I don't know if this was already said (so let me repeat it). The chairs are gold and purple. Again, yeah, could mean nothing. But what if the purple represents Shantae (for obvious reasons) and the gold represents her transformations?
Everyone thought Shantae's colors would be purple and red, but not necessarily. She's remembered for her purple hair and each one of her transformations (except the crab for some reason) wear her gold tiara.
I think I'm done trying to find things now. I'm good. It's all out of my system. : )

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
So after the blue book thing, I decided to go back to the 8/8 direct to see if any other coincidences line up.
I don't know if this was already said (so let me repeat it). The chairs are gold and purple. Again, yeah, could mean nothing. But what if the purple represents Shantae (for obvious reasons) and the gold represents her transformations?
Everyone thought Shantae's colors would be purple and red, but not necessarily. She's remembered for her purple hair and each one of her transformations (except the crab for some reason) wear her gold tiara.
I think I'm done trying to find things now. I'm good. It's all out of my system. : )
Yeah, this was discussed before, a long while back.

But Shantae already wears a lot of gold on her, so it doesn't necessarily have to represent the transformations. But, I thought we abandoned Sakurai's quirky interior design pages ago...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Long story short, I feel trying to give Shantae full-on transformations is a recipe for disaster, she won't be able to escape negative comparisons to Pokemon Trainer. And pirate gear is tough to implement without stepping on the toes of her magic and vice-versa.

There is the concern I didn't recognize abot what Kirby would do when he copies the dance move. Maybe he'd just get more mundane buffs to his moves, or spontaneously gain access to some of Shantae's with the right dance.
Why not give Kirby a cute little flintlock pistol that he could use to pew pew other people?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I don't see the issue though. Pokemon Trainer's swapping and Shantae's transformation may be similar in a fighting game but Shantae's transformations have always been limited in application and I think Wademan94 Wademan94 's idea of giving her transformations one normal move and one special move is the perfect way to represent the character without her taking the work of two or three characters like PT does.
Shantae's issue is she has so much to pull from that putting it all in one moveset is difficult since things like her figher gear and her pirate gear kind of overlap in that both of them would work as a down air but both are so different and so unique that it's tough to pick. For example, Shantae could transform into a Harpy for her Up B, but she could also ride a thunder cloud, but she could ALSO use the cannons from Pirate's Curse.
Narrowing down her moveset is a real challenge but I think transformations should be a special move rather than temporary Smash attack transformations.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I don't see the issue though. Pokemon Trainer's swapping and Shantae's transformation may be similar in a fighting game but Shantae's transformations have always been limited in application and I think Wademan94 Wademan94 's idea of giving her transformations one normal move and one special move is the perfect way to represent the character without her taking the work of two or three characters like PT does.
Shantae's issue is she has so much to pull from that putting it all in one moveset is difficult since things like her figher gear and her pirate gear kind of overlap in that both of them would work as a down air but both are so different and so unique that it's tough to pick. For example, Shantae could transform into a Harpy for her Up B, but she could also ride a thunder cloud, but she could ALSO use the cannons from Pirate's Curse.
Narrowing down her moveset is a real challenge but I think transformations should be a special move rather than temporary Smash attack transformations.
I won't disagree that some people feel that the Pirate Gear would fit Risky better than Shantae, but if we're going to get in, it'll be very unlikely we're going to get both Shantae and Risky Boots. That's why there should be a combination, perhaps with slightly more magic than pirate gear, but it'll be a compromise between the normal Shantae and PC Shantae.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
it'll be very unlikely we're going to get both Shantae and Risky Boots
I'm amazed Risky was in the running at all, remember we're praying for literally any kind of representation be it fighter or Assist, if Shantae has like a 0.01% chance of making it, Risky's goes into the negative lol.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Thanks to Connor liking one of my old posts I realized we've gone from page 107 to page 344 in a month. That is absolutely crazy.

Top Bottom