• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
She wasn't a dev; the guy who recorded and shared the video on Reddit told us she was a community representative. She wouldn't likely know; the most-likely people to know would be leading developers such as Jens and maybe some Microsoft reps. Even if she did know, her answer doesn't confirm or disconfirm anything as it's a typical PR answer, basically amounting to "we don't know but show your support!"
I don't want Steve to be deconfirmed, only because it would make you sad. :(

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
...So I read a thing theorizing that Medusa will be the character revealed in October. Would that kill a lot of leaks?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Let's see if WreckItRyan is correct with his predictions.
Since he predicted a Direct and a possible Shantae reveal for October. : 3

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Why do we speculate about Smash in general?
Because it's fun.
Same reason for them.
And why hinting he is not in the game, when he is?

Even WayForward didn't imply Shantae isn't in the game in the slightest.
They just straight up don't say anything.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
And why hinting he is not in the game, when he is?

Even WayForward didn't imply Shantae isn't in the game in the slightest.
They just straight up don't say anything.
The woman who answered the question, though, was a community representative. She likely wouldn't know, plus she already acted like she didn't know, "uh, um, we have no news."

I think Jens is likely to know, the lead developer, but no one asked him :S

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I've been saying we would be getting a direct in october, but no one beleived me haha I am sure it will cover the spirits mode, give us 2 more unique and 2-3 more echos

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
The big "clue" is that the voice actress of Medusa has been liking tweets about Medusa in Smash recently. Plus it is October so a kinda spooky villain makes sense.
That could tease her being in the game, but I'm not so sure about it being specifically in October. I'm not opposed to her, but two full reveals just for semi-clones in a row would be really annoying.

Edit: and also, of the tweets I noticed, there was fan art attached. Couldn't she just be liking the fan-art like the WF Twitter?

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I've been saying we would be getting a direct in october, but no one beleived me haha I am sure it will cover the spirits mode, give us 2 more unique and 2-3 more echos
“We announced Isabelle in the Nintendo Direct,” Sakurai wrote in his Weekly Famitsu column. “… however, it would be a mistake to think that the new character announcements will keep going [at this pace] until Smash Bros. releases. We may have been a little trigger-happy so we’ll be living modestly from here on out.”

This is why no one believed you about getting anything Smash Bros related in October.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I don't think Kid Icarus deserves another character. The franchise only has three games after all.

But I'm not entirely opposed to it. Medusa's cool.
I was gonna comment on Kirby needing a 4th rep way more than KI, but I didn't want to come off as a jerk, especially since the odds of her being an echo are high (considering how she'd realistically have similar proportions to Palutena).

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
“We announced Isabelle in the Nintendo Direct,” Sakurai wrote in his Weekly Famitsu column. “… however, it would be a mistake to think that the new character announcements will keep going [at this pace] until Smash Bros. releases. We may have been a little trigger-happy so we’ll be living modestly from here on out.”

This is why no one believed you about getting anything Smash Bros related in October.
Yeah, and that hurt my idea too. I always had a sneaking suspicion Sakurai may be trolling/making us not expect some sort of surprise.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I was gonna comment on Kirby needing a 4th rep way more than KI, but I didn't want to come off as a jerk, especially since the odds of her being an echo are high (considering how she'd realistically have similar proportions to Palutena).
Nah, you're not.

Also, when was the last post that mentioned Shantae (in any capacity) posted? I'm not complaining, just curious.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Here is the Shantae mention

#ShantaeForSmash

Also, Medusa would indeed make a good Echo fighter for Palutena. I can see that since her first state(the none gorgon looking verison) is similar enough to Palutena to be considered for an Echo(that and Uprising is another of Sakurai's kids lol).

Anyway, when it comes to Shantae, again WF's silence on the matter cannot be explained away. Even that one woman who is a person who communicates to the fans would require the heads of the gaming portion of Microsoft to inform her about not talking about Steve. Heck look at how much silence there is on WF's part. Not even:
Matt
WF
VA
Composer
These guys do not talk about Shantae or Smash. Whatever NDA WF is under must be a big deal. Then again her being the first playable Indie character in a massive crossover fighting game is enough to warrant this level of silence.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Even that one woman who is a person who communicates to the fans would require the heads of the gaming portion of Microsoft to inform her about not talking about Steve.
As long as she doesn't say he's in, or allude to it, she's not breaking an NDA.

If she said nothing to him, it'd be rude, so she sorta went around the question by saying "we don't have any news" and just said to upvote a post on the feedback site. They would want as little people as possible to know about Steve in Smash, which includes some Mojang members.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well she did kinda hint that he isn't in, by encouraging fans to support the cause.
Something that would be completely unnecessary, if he were in.
She wouldn't likely know, anyway. I'd expect the leading devs to know, but not anyone who isn't a higher-up.

Plus, being a community rep, that should be normal banter; the guy asked "Do you think" as well, not simply "Will he be?" so it was pretty much all banter. If he wasn't in, she should've just added the word "no" to what she was saying, instead of "we have no news" as if she can't say much.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
She wouldn't likely know, anyway. I'd expect the leading devs to know, but not anyone who isn't a higher-up.
And how can you be so sure?
I mean all of WayForward is ignoring Smash related questions.
So in WF's case I think everyone, who could speak to fans in any capacity, would be in the know by now.

Why wouldn't it be the same here?

Plus, being a community rep, that should be normal banter; the guy asked "Do you think" as well, not simply "Will he be?" so it was pretty much all banter. If he wasn't in, she should've just added the word "no" to what she was saying.
I don't see how that makes a difference, honestly.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
And how can you be so sure?
I mean all of WayForward is ignoring Smash related questions.
So in WF's case I think everyone, who could speak to fans in any capacity, would be in the know by now.

Why wouldn't it be the same here?

I don't see how that makes a difference, honestly.
The difference is he didn't ask a question that requires a definite "yes" or "no" unless she wanted to make it seem even more weird that her answer was dodgey. Plus, if Steve wasn't in, there'd be no need to say "we have no news" instead of "no," just showing she even more-likely wouldn't know anything regarding Smash Bros. It can go either way; we won't know until the final direct.

plus wasn't WF using copy/paste answers for a while saying something similar to "we have no news"? It's a typical PR answer; and even with some companies deciding to stay silent, that doesn't mean everyone would. We may as well say Banjo-Kazooie is disconfirmed because of Phil Spencer's replies to tweets.

Now, I'm not saying Steve is going to be playable, but I'd expect a trophy at least, something they'd still try to dodge definite answers about.

edit: regarding her answer and the guy's question, this was at Minecon in real life, not on a digital screen. She couldn't just stay silent, that'd be rude and let everyone know that something was definitely going on.

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
I really want more magical girls. Shantae is my top pick for a unique, but Medusa is my top pick for an echo (and honestly she's the character I want that has the most chance of actually being in due to Sakurai's favoritism).

Medusa would be a great echo since she's got all the same **** Palutena does. Just swap out the shield bashing for claw swipes (same motion, just a different hit effect), give her some snakes for her smash attacks instead of wings, and maybe give her counter a petrifying effect that acts similar to stun.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I don't think Kid Icarus deserves another character. The franchise only has three games after all.

But I'm not entirely opposed to it. Medusa's cool.
Hm, i don't think we should say which video game deserves or doesn't deserve. Since someone could say that about any games including shantae(whether that reason be because she's a indie or because there's too many third parties). I think the only things that don't "deserve" to be in the game is non video games characters.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hm, i don't think we should say which video game deserves or doesn't deserve. Since someone could say that about any games including shantae(whether that reason be because she's a indie or because there's too many third parties). I think the only things that don't "deserve" to be in the game is non video games characters.
I'm sorry.

I worded that really badly, I have 1 IQ after all. That's not what I actually meant. Oh god...

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Quick thing,
Shantae couldn't make it back in Smash 4 is because of the 3DS hardware limitations. It was stated by Sakurai himself during a past Famitsu Magazine interview on transformations.

Shantae is a character who would only transform for certain moves rather than having entirely different movesets for her forms, if we're being honest Shantae didn't really have a chance to make it into 4, the period between Smash 4 and Ultimate was Shantae's peak as a franchise which is why she was such a heavy hitter during the ballot days, it's Ultimate or bust baybeeee.

Since it seems no one's talking about it...
Minecraft's Steve is 100% out of the running for the base roster. Good for our girl Shantae (one less indie to take down), but not so much for fans of Steve... Sorry guys.
y.gif

I don't think Kid Icarus deserves another character.
FE didn't deserve more after three and here we are at 7, I don't have an issue with another villain rep. It'd be cool if Medusa was an Echo who used the rest of Palutena's scraped custom moves, that's more than enough reason to have her in the game.

The difference is he didn't ask a question that requires a definite "yes" or "no" unless she wanted to make it seem even more weird that her answer was dodgey. Plus, if Steve wasn't in, there'd be no need to say "we have no news" instead of "no," just showing she even more-likely wouldn't know anything regarding Smash Bros. It can go either way; we won't know until the final direct.
Even if she doesn't know Steve's status, if he were in the game chances are they'd have to pull a Wayforward and ignore any and every single question about Minecraft and Smash Bros.
If we're using Yacht Club and Wayforward as a base, NDAs are company wide, no one can talk about it, especially not a big PR figurehead like the community leader. This kills Steve ded, that being said there's still a chance for Minecraft showing up in Smash in some capacity, but I also wouldn't hold my breath since I'd imagine the NDA applies to your franchise getting any sort of representations (as evidenced by YC where SK is only an Assist) so this might also kill Verge too.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Even if she doesn't know Steve's status, if he were in the game chances are they'd have to pull a Wayforward and ignore any and every single question about Minecraft and Smash Bros.
If we're using Yacht Club and Wayforward as a base, NDAs are company wide, no one can talk about it, especially not a big PR figurehead like the community leader. This kills Steve ded, that being said there's still a chance for Minecraft showing up in Smash in some capacity, but I also wouldn't hold my breath since I'd imagine the NDA applies to your franchise getting any sort of representations (as evidenced by YC where SK is only an Assist) so this might also kill Verge too.

She couldn't just ignore the question, though; if she did, it would let everyone know something was definitely up while also make her seem like she's being rude, as this was in real life at Minecon, not on a digital screen. She already acted like she didn't know and was trying to think of an excuse, and as a community representative decided to get the fans active in some way. "We have no news" is not a disconfirmation.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
She couldn't just ignore the question, though; if she did, it would let everyone know something was definitely up while also make her seem like she's being rude, as this was in real life at Minecon, not on a digital screen. She already acted like she didn't know and was trying to think of an excuse, and as a community representative decided to get the fans active in some way. "We have no news" is not a disconfirmation.
Hmm, I get what you're saying, they didn't really confirm or deconfirm anything and just urged people to voice their support. I still think this hurts Steve more than it helps but maybe he's not 500% out of the running.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Seriously, rallying support for a character isn't something you would do, if you knew your character was in.
And like Makai Wars said, someone who is very likely to be interacting with people, should be in the know.

I get that she didn't say anything conclusive.
And yet the rallying support is a hint against him, since, again, not something you'd do if you knew.

And someone at the fan-forefront not knowing about vital things, would be stupid.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Seriously, rallying support for a character isn't something you would do, if you knew your character was in.
And like Makai Wars said, someone who is very likely to be interacting with people, should be in the know.

I get that she didn't say anything conclusive.
And yet the rallying support is a hint against him, since, again, not something you'd do if you knew.

And someone at the fan-forefront not knowing about vital things, would be stupid.
my idea is that, if he's in and she does know, she wanted to make fans happy that they did something.

I still think it's more-likely only the lead devs and maybe a Microsoft person would know, since they're the only ones who would really need to know (no need to let anyone else know and risk leaks, especially someone who's job is talking to fans and taking suggestions imo), but I dunno. We'll see by the final direct, I guess...

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Shantae is a character who would only transform for certain moves rather than having entirely different movesets for her forms, if we're being honest Shantae didn't really have a chance to make it into 4, the period between Smash 4 and Ultimate was Shantae's peak as a franchise which is why she was such a heavy hitter during the ballot days, it's Ultimate or bust baybeeee.

View attachment 167943

FE didn't deserve more after three and here we are at 7, I don't have an issue with another villain rep. It'd be cool if Medusa was an Echo who used the rest of Palutena's scraped custom moves, that's more than enough reason to have her in the game.

I disagree with most of what you said, but I love that gif usage and "baybee". You're fantastic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom