• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Since it seems no one's talking about it...
Minecraft's Steve is 100% out of the running for the base roster. Good for our girl Shantae (one less indie to take down), but not so much for fans of Steve... Sorry guys.
Not necessarily. He said "nothing new to report". Sounds familiar? He advised fans of a course of action and he could tell Nintendo that fans want it. As someone who works with lying parents, lawyers, and kids this means very little. It's like asking your friend for gum and them responding "you know, I think gum would be delicious. How about we scrape some money together and go get some." it's implied that your friend has none, but it's a redirect and distraction because now you're thinking "yes. Let's get us some ****ing gum! "

Staarih

Smash Master
Minecraft's Steve is 100% out of the running for the base roster. Good for our girl Shantae (one less indie to take down), but not so much for fans of Steve... Sorry guys.
Maybe I'm pessimistic (or optimistic? as I wouldn't mind Steve) but isn't "We don't have any news on that" pretty much what we're dealing with when it comes to Shantae as well? And we don't think she's out of the picture 100%, so I wouldn't count Steve completely out either. If WayForward were asked a similar thing in a panel like that, the answer would probably be the same. But maybe that's just me.

At this point I just feel like anything and everything is possible when it comes to Smash haha!

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
True, but I don't know if they'd talk about Smash in any capacity if they were under NDA, which they should do even if it isn't a character.

Meaning one of two things (speculative)

-NDA doesn't extend as strictly to non character appearances. Meaning if Shantae were an assist, there'd be no point in dodging EVERY Smash question.
-Minecraft isn't in the game at all, meaning Vergebern's leak is wrong.
Good point.
However, I can still see a small chance for a Minecraft Stage or Assist Trophy.

But yeah, Shantae's chances seem to keep increasing. ;)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well they said nothing to report, but the also said that if people want him in smash, to keep drumming up support so next time the devs meet nintendo they could have something to show.

I think that does push the no character, but it makes stronger the stage theory. Honestly, I can see a minecraft stage being shown off the same time as create a stage feature returning, with the Create a stage having a minecraft theme option.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Well they said nothing to report, but the also said that if people want him in smash, to keep drumming up support so next time the devs meet nintendo they could have something to show.

I think that does push the no character, but it makes stronger the stage theory. Honestly, I can see a minecraft stage being shown off the same time as create a stage feature returning, with the Create a stage having a minecraft theme option.
I was thinking this. Though a dev rank would probably be important, I would think on a panel they'd tell developers what to and not to answer... I see the point the others were making in retrospect.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Yup, exactly this. : 3

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
There is a sale for Runbow(which features Shantae!!!) for about 7.49 USD. Since I have the space I got it. It is very enjoyable. Love how they combine her look from HGH and PC for this variation.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I did some thinking, and updated my dream remaining characters in base game. Going with 6 unique and 6 Echos(but also can go 5 unique and 7 echo), for an 84 roster. Again, this is my dream base, so I know 84 is really pushing it.

Unique:
Shantae.png
Was there any doubt shantae was here?

Geno.png
It's either Geno or Slime from Dragon quest, and I feel Geno is more likely due to fan demand and Sakurai. Still, I want geno too so it works out.

Reimu.png
While I've always wanted Reimu, I felt that she was a very low chance. Still... her want and hopes have been growing a lot. She is a huge gaming Icon in Japan, and world wide less but growing. She could easily fit into a gaming all star roster.

Gardevoir.png
Screw the Verg leak. I want Gardevoir. I wouldn't mind in Inceniroar is in, but my dream is Gardevoir and this is a dream list.

Donbe and Hikari.jpg Lip.gif Ayumi.jpg
I want a retro, but I cannot pick which one. These 3 I want the most and they go in the order shown. Hikari and Donbe have been a pair I wanted for years. Love their designs, their game is cool, they could bring a very unique style to the game as well. Lip Is the safer pick, as Lips stick has been in nearly every game, and lots of hints to Panel de pon in other parts of the game, its about time she shows up. Ayumi because she was once considered, could have a cool unique style of fighting(think Pheonix Wright from MvC3), and beating Ridley up as a Japanese school girl sounds hilarious.

Rhythm Girl.jpg

If Rhythm Heaven is getting a rep, Rhythm Girl is the best way to fully represent the series. She's enough of a blank slate to do almost anything in the series, and also could have other characters assist her, like the monkeys and chorus kids, as shown in the picture. If we go with a 5 unique 7 echo, she would be the one to go though sadly, but only because the others I want a bit more.

Echos:

Medusa.png
Top Echo by far. Medusa would fit perfectly as a Palutena echo, give us a female villain, and be really fun and cool to play as.

Dixie.png
While I would also like her unique, if she was a unique shes no in base game. I think she would work just as well as an echo honestly. Her only hair attack was pick up, her dash attack, and her hover from the games, and I feel just changing those 3 actions in smash would make her a good echo and still well represent her.

black shadow.jpg
FZero needs love, and giving that in smash bros would then help boost the series to maybe give us more games. The only character that could work is Black shadow, and I would like him having Melee Ganondorf like style, a true clone, since Ganondorf has over time morphed into a more unique fighter

Impa.png
If Mario is getting an Echo, as well as Fire Emblem, Zelda deserves one as well. Impa is the perfect fit. Plus, While skyward sword was meh, Impa's design was the best in a main line zelda game(baring Hyrule warriors) But OoT Impa look can go here too.

Ken_Masters.png
This is just set in stone now. Its pretty much happening. I'll be surprised if it wasn't.

kisspng-ms-pac-man-pac-man-museum-pac-man-championship-ed-pac-man-5ab901190c5555.2945042115220...jpg
While I list Gardevoir as my most wanted dream Pokemon, And I really want Gothitelle, I feel if all the other 3rd parties are getting echos, Namco should also be Getting one. Ms Pac Man just seems too fitting and is a Gaming Icon Herself too.

Shadow.png
So if we get 5 unique and 7 echos, I'll throw shadow in. I love sonic and shadow is fun and easy, I just like the others a bit more. Honestly Shadow and Ms Pac Man are tied a bit, so he could be in a 6 and 6 roster size over her. If we are going by likely, Shadow will probably be in over black shadow sadly, because Nintendo hates FZero right now lol.

As for DLC...

Banjo-kazooie_ssbc.png
Yeah this Duo would be great, and honestly a huge DLC member

Isaac.png
Easily a DLC character, along with an echo of Felix

Slime_(Dragon_Quest).jpg
Dragon Quest is the biggest Square series, much bigger then KH and should be represented. Slime would be a hilarious fun addition

Rex and Pyra.png
They are too new for base so DLC is perfect.

I can only insert 20 files so the rest are large images in spoiler tags.

Again too new for base but I see these 2 in as a unique and echo fighter.

Inceniroar is fine as DLC. As for the Gen 5 Pokemon, I think Meloetta is the perfect best choice. Could be a stance changing fighter that we really don't have in the game(pokemon trainer kinda counts. its more like how Zelda/shiek used to be together) Let them change forms as needed.

And thats my dream roster for this game, base and DLC Sorry for the massive post. I just really wanted to share

Attachments

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
So I did some thinking, and updated my dream remaining characters in base game. Going with 6 unique and 6 Echos(but also can go 5 unique and 7 echo), for an 84 roster. Again, this is my dream base, so I know 84 is really pushing it.

Unique:
View attachment 167900
Was there any doubt shantae was here?

View attachment 167895
It's either Geno or Slime from Dragon quest, and I feel Geno is more likely due to fan demand and Sakurai. Still, I want geno too so it works out.

View attachment 167904
While I've always wanted Reimu, I felt that she was a very low chance. Still... her want and hopes have been growing a lot. She is a huge gaming Icon in Japan, and world wide less but growing. She could easily fit into a gaming all star roster.

View attachment 167907
Screw the Verg leak. I want Gardevoir. I wouldn't mind in Inceniroar is in, but my dream is Gardevoir and this is a dream list.

View attachment 167906View attachment 167908View attachment 167905
I want a retro, but I cannot pick which one. These 3 I want the most and they go in the order shown. Hikari and Donbe have been a pair I wanted for years. Love their designs, their game is cool, they could bring a very unique style to the game as well. Lip Is the safer pick, as Lips stick has been in nearly every game, and lots of hints to Panel de pon in other parts of the game, its about time she shows up. Ayumi because she was once considered, could have a cool unique style of fighting(think Pheonix Wright from MvC3), and beating Ridley up as a Japanese school girl sounds hilarious.

View attachment 167909

If Rhythm Heaven is getting a rep, Rhythm Girl is the best way to fully represent the series. She's enough of a blank slate to do almost anything in the series, and also could have other characters assist her, like the monkeys and chorus kids, as shown in the picture. If we go with a 5 unique 7 echo, she would be the one to go though sadly, but only because the others I want a bit more.

Echos:

View attachment 167899
Top Echo by far. Medusa would fit perfectly as a Palutena echo, give us a female villain, and be really fun and cool to play as.

View attachment 167894
While I would also like her unique, if she was a unique shes no in base game. I think she would work just as well as an echo honestly. Her only hair attack was pick up, her dash attack, and her hover from the games, and I feel just changing those 3 actions in smash would make her a good echo and still well represent her.

View attachment 167893
FZero needs love, and giving that in smash bros would then help boost the series to maybe give us more games. The only character that could work is Black shadow, and I would like him having Melee Ganondorf like style, a true clone, since Ganondorf has over time morphed into a more unique fighter

View attachment 167896
If Mario is getting an Echo, as well as Fire Emblem, Zelda deserves one as well. Impa is the perfect fit. Plus, While skyward sword was meh, Impa's design was the best in a main line zelda game(baring Hyrule warriors) But OoT Impa look can go here too.

View attachment 167898
This is just set in stone now. Its pretty much happening. I'll be surprised if it wasn't.

View attachment 167901
While I list Gardevoir as my most wanted dream Pokemon, And I really want Gothitelle, I feel if all the other 3rd parties are getting echos, Namco should also be Getting one. Ms Pac Man just seems too fitting and is a Gaming Icon Herself too.

View attachment 167902
So if we get 5 unique and 7 echos, I'll throw shadow in. I love sonic and shadow is fun and easy, I just like the others a bit more. Honestly Shadow and Ms Pac Man are tied a bit, so he could be in a 6 and 6 roster size over her. If we are going by likely, Shadow will probably be in over black shadow sadly, because Nintendo hates FZero right now lol.

As for DLC...

View attachment 167911
Yeah this Duo would be great, and honestly a huge DLC member

View attachment 167913
Easily a DLC character, along with an echo of Felix

View attachment 167914
Dragon Quest is the biggest Square series, much bigger then KH and should be represented. Slime would be a hilarious fun addition

View attachment 167915
They are too new for base so DLC is perfect.

I can only insert 20 files so the rest are large images in spoiler tags.

Again too new for base but I see these 2 in as a unique and echo fighter.

Inceniroar is fine as DLC. As for the Gen 5 Pokemon, I think Meloetta is the perfect best choice. Could be a stance changing fighter that we really don't have in the game(pokemon trainer kinda counts. its more like how Zelda/shiek used to be together) Let them change forms as needed.

And thats my dream roster for this game, base and DLC Sorry for the massive post. I just really wanted to share
Heh, that post must have taken awhile to make!

I agree with basically all of that.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Balance patches and other such things post-launch I could see. The game production itself though? 99% Sakurai and maybe 1% prodding from the higher ups to advertise certain franchises. Either way, it's definitely Sakurai's game though and through.
Yeah im pretty sure Nintendo lets Sakurai do almost whatever he wants as long as the game sells and stays in budget. However Amiibo is definitly the one thing i could see Nintendo forcing Sakurai to include.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So I guess we all agree on that Sakurai is completely in charge of the game's production before release (save for some minor things)?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Heck to be completely honest, if I am very nitpicky there would be two things I would want, other than Shantae.
Octolings as Echoes and Splatoon 2 clothes for Inklings.

But yeah, nitpicky stuff and something I don't really need that much.
Shantae would be a wish coming true though...

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I just found this out. I feel terrible...
Attention please, this is a major emergency. @Rie Sonomura is in serious need of money since she has bills to pay and she had no luck finding a new job. If anyone has some cash to spare, please find it in your hearts to donate and help her be free for her bank debt. If not, spend the word though Twitter by tweeting this post.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This is serious and shouldn't be taken lightly. She really needs all the help.
I'm kind of obliged to post that here. Just thought I'd let you know.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
This sounds like a soft, but not a firm deconfirmation to me. It could be an NDA type of answer, but they're also telling fans to get vocal about Steve's in Smash. Why would they tell their fans that if he's not in the base roster?

It's different from WF completely ignoring any Smash related questions.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man is that great to hear. My picks for unique and Echo are:

Unique:
1. Shantae
2. Geno

Echoes
1. Shadow
2. Medusa

These are my picks. Hopefully Kid Icarus gets some more love. I would love to see the interactions between Medusa and Palutena. It was great in Uprising.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
This sounds like a soft, but not a firm deconfirmation to me. It could be an NDA type of answer, but they're also telling fans to get vocal about Steve's in Smash. Why would they tell their fans that if he's not in the base roster?

And it's moments like these I don't regret being a sleuth on a thread with my favorite girl. As well as one of the better times of interaction on here, when we focus down on a new piece of information and interpret it.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

Agreed. Its more of an answer than WF has ever given. If Steve is in but Shantae isnt it would make WF 's silence even more puzzling and infuriating.

Staarih

Smash Master

Ignoring stuff on Twitter is a bit different than answering questions in a panel though. If WF was in a similar situation, I reckon they would have to come up with a similar answer if asked on the spot - since they couldn't talk about it, but would most likely want fans to keep being supportive.

Though in either way, WF's silence is still fairly mysterious, so hopefully it means what we hope it means.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, yeah. This whole statement from the Minecraft rep is interesting. The first part is very corporate,which would put it inline with all the statements WF have been making in regards to a future Shantae game or her appearance in the other indie games. But it is important to note that when they are approached about smash we don;t even get the "nothing to announce" statement but rather complete silence.

The second part of his statement makes me think his first part isn't out of and NDA, but rather that there actually is nothing to announce, but he doesn't want to shoot himself in the foot should it change in the future.

The encouraging others to voice there interest doesn't sound like the actions of a man who knows the character is already in. If anything it sounds like some who knows talks had been happening and is maybe hoping extra interest would help their case for DLC.

Like everything we talk about, this cold go either way, but I'm leaning more on the side of this being against Steve? than for him (which I am biased as I'd rather he not be in the game as a fighter) But that could also finally put an end the the Verg tyranny if we could get confirmation of Minecraft not being in the game.

Tho, the way Verg set things up he can always just say the contact was wrong like with K Rool and people will still buy it.

D

Deleted member

And why would they rally their fans like that, if he is already in the game?
So that if it was happening, the fans would think they made a difference of some sort, despite the fact that nothing of the sort can do any characters any favors for the base roster.

Staarih

Smash Master
And why would they rally their fans like that, if he is already in the game?
I mean, who knows? To keep up with the act? To steer away from Smash discussion? Build hype?
After watching the video of the answer it feels like she just adds stuff to get some answer out, and doesn't mention Smash by name at all. Basic PR talk is what is sounds like, so I think Steve could still go either way. I'm indifferent to him, but I don't want too many to be caught off guard if he actually makes the cut haha!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Flamingbird

Smash Cadet
Is this the thread for Steve or Shantae? amirite?

All seriousness though Chorus Kids would make a great addition!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
And why do something so pointless?
To make them care, possibly? I would think that the more people who care, the more who buy the game, the more money is made, the bigger cut Microsoft and Mojang get? Maybe not a watertight theory, but I think it's plausible.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
To make them care, possibly? I would think that the more people who care, the more who buy the game, the more money is made, the bigger cut Microsoft and Mojang get? Maybe not a watertight theory, but I think it's plausible.
Ok what are you even talking about? oO

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I thought it would have made sense from a business standpoint to make some people who didn't care about Smash want Smash for Steve. I'll admit tho, I could be wrong.
Ok, you keep jumping between subjects.

Are you talking about the marketing of Minecraft or Minecraft-Char in Smash?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
She wasn't a dev; the guy who recorded and shared the video on Reddit told us she was a community representative. She wouldn't likely know; the most-likely people to know would be leading developers such as Jens and maybe some Microsoft reps. Even if she did know, her answer doesn't confirm or disconfirm anything as it's a typical PR answer, basically amounting to "we don't know but show your support!"

plus he wouldn't steal Shantae's slot anyway; I doubt Sakurai is gonna negotiate a character and not add them in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom