• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
my idea is that, if he's in and she does know, she wanted to make fans happy that they did something.
Still is strange to urge fans to support a character.
If you knew he was in, there'd be no need for that.

She could've simply said "I dunno" or "Can't say anything about that."
And that would've been the end of it.

I still think it's more-likely only the lead devs and maybe a Microsoft person would know, since they're the only ones who would really need to know (no need to let anyone else know and risk leaks, especially someone who's job is talking to fans and taking suggestions imo), but I dunno. We'll see by the final direct, I guess...
While that makes sense at a glance, it also contradicts the pattern we know.
Namely, Yacht Club Games, whose NDA was company-wide.
And WayForward also follows that pattern.
Again, why would it be different here?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Still is strange to urge fans to support a character.
If you knew he was in, there'd be no need for that.

She could've simply said "I dunno" or "Can't say anything about that."
And that would've been the end of it.

While that makes sense at a glance, it also contradicts the pattern we know.
Namely, Yacht Club Games, whose NDA was company-wide.
And WayForward also follows that pattern.
Again, why would it be different here?
That could go either way tbh. We don't even know for sure if she actually does know or not.

"We have no news" isn't much different from "I/we don't know," and the second thing would make fans think he's definitely in depending on interpretation.

How big are those companies? Mojang was small, but they increased in size, and are now under Microsoft's umbrella, with some devs Microsoft supplied now working on the Bedrock Edition. They also don't all share one twitter account except maybe some people using the main Minecraft account. We can't say if Minecraft content or Steve are 100% confirmed or disconfirmed.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, believe what you want then.
As will I.

Coming back to Shantae:
Assuming Jammie's Mode teased Shantae's Stage and Risky's Ship does end up being a stage in Smash Bros, what properties would it have?

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Coming back to Shantae:
Assuming Jammie's Mode teased Shantae's Stage and Risky's Ship does end up being a stage in Smash Bros, what properties would it have?
So far I'm thinking the tinkerbats would have something involve with hazards along with Risky Boots.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Coming back to Shantae:
I’m honestly kinda hoping it isn’t just Risky’s ship as I feel like it’d be too similar to the Wind Waker stage, but I do have stuff like this in mind for the section with her ship in my stage idea:
6CC81896-6602-498A-9533-E40C111F8CC7.jpeg

E6BB5C21-0673-446E-94CB-925D853528FF.jpeg

EF623ABD-3D58-43B9-8E63-94E5B5605ED2.jpeg

Stuff like the cannon patterns and the bomb popping out to cause a large explosion sending anyone close by flying (including Risky who’d be hanging out in that spot at the time)

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I’m honestly kinda hoping it isn’t just Risky’s ship as I feel like it’d be too similar to the Wind Waker stage, but I do have stuff like this in mind for the section with her ship in my stage idea:
View attachment 167960
View attachment 167957
View attachment 167961

Stuff like the cannon patterns and the bomb popping out to cause a large explosion sending anyone close by flying (including Risky who’d be hanging out in that spot at the time)
What would be super cool would be if it was on Risky's ship and it had all of the characters from Jammies Mode in the background in there jammies cheering on the fight.
Or
Maybe they could appear like the background characters in Castlevania's stage (mummy, Medusa, flea and creature, etc.) where it's random who pops out and they attack with random things from the games...
I'm so giddy with this hypothetical!!!

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Also as just a general thing; maybe we can start using spoiler tags a bit more just so pages don't start filling up with giant images.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I think Coonor means "Hey everyone, especially Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy , check this out". Something like that.
Connorb0t2 probably just mentioned you specifically due to your known love of Rottytops.
I was mostly joking, I knew what he meant.

Naaaah you're iq must be higher if you're able to talk to us. Don't panic btw we all had opinions
Okay.

I don't usually panic when people have different opinions to mine. It's just...

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
View attachment 167960
View attachment 167957
View attachment 167961

Who knows, Risky's Ship could serve as the Gangplank Galleon, that we didn't get as a stage.

I too think Tinkerbats and that cannon could serve as perfect stage hazards.
However I can also see Risky herself working as a Stage Boss, like Smash 4 Ridley.
I can see her fighting mostly like in HGH and maybe throwing in some moves she only used in the first game.

All while the Ship sails past various landmarks of Sequin Land.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not bad, but I think she would still have her ponytail.
There is a ponytail there, wait this is Bolo with the Super Crown, not Shantae

Also as just a general thing; maybe we can start using spoiler tags a bit more just so pages don't start filling up with giant images.
Sorry I’ll be more frequent with that for posts with more than one image

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Personally I'd prefer Burning Town with Risky's ship showing up in the background and shooting bombs that drop either Tinkerbats, or destroy bridges that line the stage. Risky's ship is fun but I think Scuttle Town is a much more iconic place for the Shantae series since it's the center point of every game while you've really only been on Risky's ship once during the boss fight and during PC (and you never really get to explore it or anything there)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey. So, interesting to hear about Steve. I do think Brine makes good points about them not being top level devs or anything, so it doesn't necessarily deconfirm him, but it does nudge against his includsion a bit, since it seems she wasn't informed what to say in those cases.

I don't think all employees will be under NDA, at least not strict ones, since that raises suspicion, it's better to let most people just be themselves in a lot of cases. But it's true that when it comes to pr and marketing, usually there'd be something they're told they can talk about and not talk about. It really depends though, it's not like there's a strict rule for any of this, so long as those who know dont spill the beans.

I dont think it matters if he's in or not for Shantae.

~

And also, I do think that some people took Sakurai's 'slowing down the pace' statement a little too seriously. He does say things sometimes, but also to me it was clearer that he was talking about reveal trailers being overdone (for commercial reasons, probably), since he was talking about Isabelle's reveal trailer in comparison.
I'm not saying it couldn't mean less characters than people expect, but I dont necessarily think so, and I think it's safe to remain open. :)

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Personally I'd prefer Burning Town with Risky's ship showing up in the background and shooting bombs that drop either Tinkerbats, or destroy bridges that line the stage. Risky's ship is fun but I think Scuttle Town is a much more iconic place for the Shantae series since it's the center point of every game while you've really only been on Risky's ship once during the boss fight and during PC (and you never really get to explore it or anything there)
Of course, Scuttle Town would be more fitting for a stage.

I was just saying, in case the "Party moved over to Risky's Ship" line was supposed to tease the Smash Bros Stage, like some people suggest.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Oh dear god NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Btw I might have found something in the Pokémon montage in the smash direct that might skyrocket her chances......
If your up to it.
No.

I'm sorry. but no. I know Nintendo like hiding hints in they're directs, but it would be weird of them to reference Shantae in the Pokemon trailer.
But, if you are so sure, I'd like to see it anyway. May be something interesting to talk about for awhile, there isn't much else to discuss right now.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Btw I might have found something in the Pokémon montage in the smash direct that might skyrocket her chances......
If your up to it.
Doubt it, but let's hear it. If it's a stretch, it better be as far reaching as Alolan Exeggutor's height.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So then another question regarding a possible Shantae stage:
Which one of the four games, do you think would Sakurai base the Shantae stage most likely on?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Doubt it, but let's hear it. If it's a stretch, it better be as far reaching as Alolan Exeggutor's height.
Or as far reaching as the Animal Crossing plant in Isabelle's trailer being conspiracy theory evidence for Shantae's inclusion.

Which one of the four games, do you think would Sakurai base the Shantae stage most likely on?
I would say that the Shantae stage would be more visually based on HGH's incarnation of it. It's cartoony enough that it could definitely fit in the game. Though it'll ultimately be a blend of all the Scuttle Towns that we've known, to turn into the Scuttle Town stage we know. Or it could take place in the Town Square of HGH.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Pirate's Curse. It was all on one layer (unlike RR) and had multiple levels to jump on really quickly without the need for stairs or anything, it would work perfectly as a 2D stage since there'd be next to no needed alterations. It'd be nice to see the towns people milling about too.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Here’s what I found that might increase her chances
Take it with a grain of salt CRINGE
Oh hey he used my art for that
Anyway this is a stretch on a stretch on a stretch but this tweet is interesting
The ballot had ended recently, I THINK this is about the Shantae figures done by that one JP company, but I'd need to check the dates for that.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Oh hey he used my art for that
Anyway this is a stretch on a stretch on a stretch but this tweet is interesting
The ballot had ended recently, I THINK this is about the Shantae figures done by that one JP company, but I'd need to check the dates for that.
That face is marvelous

Top Bottom