• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Before my next shown pic I just want to remind everyone that anyone can leak a leak but no one can predict Sakurai when he really gets into it lol.
WayForward better not be trolling us with this silence.
Next up is Crafted Yoshi:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Character Art Yoshi(Crafted).jpg

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Rubbish is right. So many things still don't line up.
-Why would they not reveal Shantae with Shovel knight
-Why would WF still be so silent and ignore everything related to smash. It seems a little to extreme to act this way for an assist trophy.
-Why would they put all of those subtle hints in Jammies mode?

I don't buy it. Something is up.
Rubbish is right. So many things still don't line up.
-Why would they not reveal Shantae with Shovel knight
-Why would WF still be so silent and ignore everything related to smash. It seems a little to extreme to act this way for an assist trophy.
-Why would they put all of those subtle hints in Jammies mode?

I don't buy it. Something is up.
They didn't reveal Dark Samus with Ridley. Yacht Club had a similar silence before Shovel Knight's AT was shown. The Bayonetta ports on Switch hinted at Rodin being in Smash, and look who got announced as an Assist Trophy.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591

since where dropping character renders here is corrin

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
They didn't reveal Dark Samus with Ridley. Yacht Club had a similar silence before Shovel Knight's AT was shown. The Bayonetta ports on Switch hinted at Rodin being in Smash, and look who got announced as an Assist Trophy.
The problem is that unlike Shovel Knight, Shantae hasn't been confirmed so far for ANY Indie Fighting Crossover games even though fans have been wanting her and the actual devs of those games were requesting her. Shovel Knight was confirmed to be a part of Blade Strangers way before his AT reveal yet Shantae is missing from that game(even when the devs were actually wanting and had talks with WF about it). That is the difference between Rodin/Shovel Knight and Shantae's cases.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The difference is that Wayforward wasn't just silent like Yatch CLub was, they haven't allwoed Shantae into any of the indies fighting games (that Shovel Knight has been included in), even tho she is highly requested for those games and Nicalis even said that they would love to have Shantae in Blade Strangers.

However WayForward aren't doing this just because they don't like to share Shantae as she has been a guest star in many other indie games that aren't of the fighting genre. So, why would Wayforward turn down money, publicity and favor with their fans who want her in those games, where the only effort on their part would be signing a contract of permission? Either for some reason they think these games don't deserve it, which doesn't seem likely at least for Blade Strangers as it has very nice production values to it, Or more likely because they can't because of a prior agreement. Like one with Nintendo regarding her in Smash. And why would Nintendo request extra limitations for Shantae that they didn't demand for Shovel Knight if they were both in the game to the same capacity.

No, If Wayforward had the freedom to, i don;t see any reason they would deny Nicalis from including her. The only reason is because they already made that deal with a crossover they deem more important.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Character Art Pikachu Libre.jpg

Pikachu Libre is ready lol.
The difference is that Wayforward wasn't just silent like Yatch CLub was, they haven't allwoed Shantae into any of the indies fighting games (that Shovel Knight has been included in), even tho she is highly requested for those games and Nicalis even said that they would love to have Shantae in Blade Strangers.

However WayForward aren't doing this just because they don't like to share Shantae as she has been a guest star in many other indie games that aren't of the fighting genre. So, why would Wayforward turn down money, publicity and favor with their fans who want her in those games, where the only effort on their part would be signing a contract of permission? Either for some reason they think these games don't deserve it, which doesn't seem likely at least for Blade Strangers as it has very nice production values to it, Or more likely because they can't because of a prior agreement. Like one with Nintendo regarding her in Smash. And why would Nintendo request extra limitations for Shantae that they didn't demand for Shovel Knight if they were both in the game to the same capacity.

No, If Wayforward had the freedom to, i don;t see any reason they would deny Nicalis from including her. The only reason is because they already made that deal with a crossover they deem more important.
Exactly unlike the two above it's a combination of multiple things that do not make sense if Shantae is "just an AT".

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yes, but if the Incineroar rumors are to be believed, would they really add another stage for him?
Nah, I doubt Incineroar, and the retro no one is talking about and I am sure we are getting, is getting a stage. Plus we know 3 more unique newcomers have to be coming with stages at least, as the music test screen has 3 slots open for music icons, which would get their own stages

sound test screen.png

I went into more detail about all this just a moment ago on the newcomer discussion page, but basically with 2 of the newcomers being Incineroar(or any pokemon if you don't beleive Vergaben), plus a retro we all should be assuming is happening, plus those 3 unique newcomer icons, plus if Geno is the square rep, he most likely will be listed under mario for music, so that would be 6 unique newcomers coming, at least 3 of them getting their own stage. We could also see a minecraft stage(if the vergaben thing is right), so it still adds up that those 4 unique newcomers can get a stage and the 5th is a minecraft one

since where dropping character renders here is corrin
Man I really wish they used her as the default/base. looks much better then the male.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Simon Belmont seems a weird mix. Like his design is definitely retro! Usually his current looks are more anime. But Castlevania has still had releases in recent years, so it's kinda both maybe.
I would say that specifically, Simon Belmont from Super Castlevania IV and before is a retro character, with Richter being a sort of retro character in the Japanese eyes.
I'm uncertain of any more certain Nintendo 1st party characters that could come from an older games like ROB or MG&W.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, did anyone seriously expect or want Rodin as a playable character? And did platinum games shill for him as a playable character during the ballot?

If Wayford really hinted at Shantae being an assist trophy in Jammies mode after aggressvly campaigning for her as a playable character it would show that their kind of stupid and out of touch with their fans as doing so would certainly piss off a huge chunk of their fanbase.

I certainly will not be buying another WF game if shantae is an assist however i will if she is not in the game at all.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Is Simon Belmont not retro?
Retro's are Nintendo first party retros. Like Pac Man could have been considered a retro last game, but the retro was Duck hunt in reality. CHaracters like Lip, Mach Rider, Donbe and Hikari, and Ayumi Tachibana would be considered retro

Yeah saw a video on it. someone thought it was real because of how they were saying the info haha. yeah not happening that one. No one would risk their job on nintendo like that.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I gotta be honest with you guys, I find it oddly comforting hearing the Japanese lady say Shantae's name.
I'm also finding the whole "Third Parties are supposed to be legends!" argument over on RTC to be insanely stupid, yet frustratingly has some merit to it.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I gotta be honest with you guys, I find it oddly comforting hearing the Japanese lady say Shantae's name.
I'm also finding the whole "Third Parties are supposed to be legends!" argument over on RTC to be insanely stupid, yet frustratingly has some merit to it.
Sakurai has bee known to plow throw supposed rules like that.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Bayonetta, tho. She is far from a legend, but got in because of a special relationship with Nintendo. Nothing to worry about.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
While Rodin has been mentioned, I just wanna say that he's possibly the hypest I've gotten for an AT. Seeing him in was like "YEAH! THAT'S A GOOD PICK!"

But yeah, the Jammies Mode hints and stuff would feel kinda weird just being for an AT. I'll keep supporting WayForward even if it's the case tho, it's just sad 'cause if it is the case they're prolly gonna get a bit of hate on Twitter and I don't want that to happen ;~;

D

Deleted member

But yeah, the Jammies Mode hints and stuff would feel kinda weird just being for an AT. I'll keep supporting WayForward even if it's the case tho, it's just sad 'cause if it is the case they're prolly gonna get a bit of hate on Twitter and I don't want that to happen ;~;
Don’t say that. there’s a reason wf is silent and other company’s want her in they wouldn’t do that to the fans.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
While Rodin has been mentioned, I just wanna say that he's possibly the hypest I've gotten for an AT. Seeing him in was like "YEAH! THAT'S A GOOD PICK!"

It makes sense to me, since while Rodin seems friendly enough, isn't he slightly stronger than Bayonetta in her home series?

I'm sure that the hate wouldn't be that intense. Yeah, it'll suck, but I bet most people will understand and stay close.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Also, Rodins hint was much more straightforward than Shantaes Jammie Mode hints.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Oh I'm 90% sure they wouldn't do that, but I'm always kinda optimistic but with caution, just in case that IS the case.
Also yeah, Rodin is pretty dang strong in the Bayonetta series. Also he's so cool! I'm not sure if I find him or Bayo cooler, but seeing this dude smoking a cigar dressed as Santa and a boulder breaks on his head but he doesn't even flinch... It's kinda like "YEAH, WHAT A COOL GUY!" for me :D

I'm gonna be interested to see if the Jammies Mode stuff was an actual hint when WayForward is allowed to finally talk about Smash related stuff, that's for sure.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
From what I have seen, Rodin is way stronger than Bayonetta. Besides his main story role, if you meet the requirements, you can fight him as the games optional super boss.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Just coming back briefly to address something.

Don't worry, I'll be gone soon after that.
I know I am not welcome here...
I wasn't "ignoring the bad parts"

The cd add on wouldn't have worked. Nintendo saw how well add on's were treating Sega. And when they tried the Disk Drive it still failed, it wasn't because they didn't use the one Sony had worked on with them, it's because any add on to any system was going to be met with poor reception. People didn't want to have to upgrade the systems because it wasn't really a thing at that pointand any new step is always met with resistance.

The reason the PlayStation worked when it went it's own way was for two reasons: Sega was losing grounds as the Nintendo rival and Sony was able to step in to snag that position, and because it was it's own system, not an upgrade to a system audience already bought. Buying something completely new wasn't seen as so bothersome because it was expected that a new product wouldn't be free.

[...]
Actually, I think you're mistaken about Nintendo's and Sony's pre-PSX relationship.

Nintendo and Sony actually collaborated to make a console with a CD-system.
However, Nintendo backstabbed them at the last second.
Reason being that Nintendo wouldn't have had as many legal rights over the console, as they would've liked.
So instead of a Nintendo/Sony console, Nintendo gave us the infamous Philips CDi.

And Sony ended up making a console of their own.
With the same CD-System they would've used for that Nintendo console: The Sony Playstation
Thus Nintendo created their biggest competitor.

As for your hatred for Cloud:
Kinda ironic that you don't seem to be that much different from the Shantae Haters.
You reject Cloud for Smash, just as much as Shantae Haters reject Shantae for Smash. :/

And honestly, that amount of pettiness is really shocking.

Heck, I hate Shadow the Hedgehog!
Yet you don't see me ranting about how he doesn't deserve to be in Smash, because I hate him.
In fact, I wouldn't mind having him in Smash.

Shadow fans will be happy to play with him.
While I get to rip him apart with Ridley.
It's a win/win for both sides.

There, i said it.
I know you don't want me here, so I take my leave.

Farewell...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seriously, did anyone seriously expect or want Rodin as a playable character? And did platinum games shill for him as a playable character during the ballot?

If Wayford really hinted at Shantae being an assist trophy in Jammies mode after aggressvly campaigning for her as a playable character it would show that their kind of stupid and out of touch with their fans as doing so would certainly piss off a huge chunk of their fanbase.

I certainly will not be buying another WF game if shantae is an assist however i will if she is not in the game at all.
If all those hints in Jammies mode was just pointing towards her being a Assist Trophy in Smash instead of a fighter, I will never play any Shantae game ever again. That's how mad I would be at WayForward.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just coming back briefly to address something.

Don't worry, I'll be gone soon after that.
I know I am not welcome here...

Actually, I think you're mistaken about Nintendo's and Sony's pre-PSX relationship.

Nintendo and Sony actually collaborated to make a console with a CD-system.
However, Nintendo backstabbed them at the last second.
Reason being that Nintendo wouldn't have had as many legal rights over the console, as they would've liked.
So instead of a Nintendo/Sony console, Nintendo gave us the infamous Philips CDi.

And Sony ended up making a console of their own.
With the same CD-System they would've used for that Nintendo console: The Sony Playstation
Thus Nintendo created their biggest competitor.

As for your hatred for Cloud:
Kinda ironic that you don't seem to be that much different from the Shantae Haters.
You reject Cloud for Smash, just as much as Shantae Haters reject Shantae for Smash. :/

And honestly, that amount of pettiness is really shocking.

Heck, I hate Shadow the Hedgehog!
Yet you don't see me ranting about how he doesn't deserve to be in Smash, because I hate him.
In fact, I wouldn't mind having him in Smash.

Shadow fans will be happy to play with him.
While I get to rip him apart with Ridley.
It's a win/win for both sides.

There, i said it.
I know you don't want me here, so I take my leave.

Farewell...
HUh? since when was anyone not welcome here? Did I miss something?

And who rejects cloud?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how Jammies Mode is different from Rodin's letters in the Bayonetta 2 port. If WayForward was truly under NDA, they couldn't even throw the kinds of hints that they supposedly did in that mode if she was a Fighter.

I don't know, and this is the third leak this week stating that she'll be an Assist. And also, the information in that leak I posted earlier matches the information from that other leak that one guy shared Monday on here.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mainly people who try to argue that every fighter must have appeared on a Nintendo console prior to being included in Smash.
Those fan rules are so dumb, Sakurai can do whatever he want's outside of licensing issues. People said Ridley was too big and Sakurai made him into a fighter. People said we couldn't have 2 3rd party reps from the same series and he made it happen with Richter.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure how Jammies Mode is different from Rodin's letters in the Bayonetta 2 port. If WayForward was truly under NDA, they couldn't even throw the kinds of hints that they supposedly did in that mode if she was a Fighter.

I don't know, and this is the third leak this week stating that she'll be an Assist. And also, the information in that leak I posted earlier matches the information from that other leak that one guy shared Monday on here.
Ok enough with the fake leaks man jeez!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mainly people who try to argue that every fighter must have appeared on a Nintendo console prior to being included in Smash.
Which is dumb because Therhythm Final Fantasy is a thing which could even qualify Lightning for Smash.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Ok enough with the fake leaks man jeez!
They could be real but with the extreme overabundance of leaks this cycle, it feels like they're probably fake. Or despite Nintendo's best efforts they're super bad at keeping stuff from leaking.

It does feel like they saw "Shantae AT" somewhere and decided to put that in their leak, too. It's kinda like how people started guessing Incineroar more because of Vergeben, I'm not sure if it means anything substantial.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well cloud did appear on a nintendo console prior to this, in the rhythm FF games and KH. And honestly, if they were going to pick any FF character, It was going to be cloud. Heck, Sakurai thought of Terra first, but they were worried many people wouldn't recognize her.

Its a Silly argument. Honestly, if the character has never appeared on a nintendo system then maybe, but their inpact on the gaming industry should trump that if needed

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
has Vereben ever been wrong on anything. I literally have no idea on what this guy has ever said.

Also, lets not forget to

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Has anyone here considered that maybe the reason why Shantae isn't in Blade Strangers and Indie Pogo? Because she might be in the upcoming Switch port of Skullgirls.

After all, the lead artist of that game is great friends with WayForward (which is why she they made the art for Half-Genie Hero), so she might be in that instead of the other games. That's still a wild card on the table, think about it.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone here considered that maybe the reason why Shantae isn't in Blade Strangers and Indie Pogo? Because she might be in the upcoming Switch port of Skullgirls.

After all, the lead artist of that game is great friends with WayForward (which is why she they made the art for Half-Genie Hero), so she might be in that instead of the other games. That's still a wild card on the table, think about it.
She is appearing in Indivisible, I don't think they would spend tons of resources on adding her in Skull Girls when they are Trying to finish up their other game.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Toy, I hate being rude, but if all you're going to do is to spread fake leaks and try to discredit Shantae appearing in Smash Bros, it's best you leave this thread. Because you don't provide us anything interesting relating to Smash with all the 4chan leaks and everything else to make it seem that Shantae will not get in as anything more than an AT.

zferolie

Smash Hero

God I would love to see Shantae in skullgirls. I love that game, and know the developers behind it personaly. I actually was on of the big backers of it that got to go to vegas for EVO with them and hang out with the the whole trip. It was a hell of a fun time and worth every penny :D

But that was back when I had money, can't spend that much anymore haha.

Toy, I hate being rude, but if all you're going to do is to spread fake leaks and try to discredit Shantae appearing in Smash Bros, it's best you leave this thread. Because you don't provide us anything interesting relating to Smash with all the 4chan leaks and everything else to make it seem that Shantae will not get in as anything more than an AT.
Hey hey, no no. There is nothing wrong with what he is doing. Whats wrong with seeing fake leaks that put her as an Assist? its the popular thing to do among the fake leakers out there. Plus they are always good for a laugh.

Lets not become like gamefaqs and reject people for disagreeing with us,

Top Bottom