• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Theres no way a Wii Fit Trainer could be in smash....
People go to great lengths to make leaks these days. It can be easy to use a strategy guide as an opportunity to pass one off.
It's not worth putting much into these until there's much better information, imo.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
There's no way Vault Boy is a character in smash, haha.
It also says Mach Rider will be a character. The thing is fake, but the guy probably did have info that the prima guide was gonna be put up for ordering.
Something people always seem to miss with leaks is that anyone can get actually valid information and then use it as a pretense to make a fake leak.
"I've got something credible. If I say it first, then go into a bunch of crazy made up stuff, people will have to believe me when the thing I know is true happens!"
Simple as that. Looking at the guys past posts, I see no reason he'd have some crazy insider info like that. He likely saw the amazon listing just before or right as it went up somehow and made his leak up after it.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
It also says Mach Rider will be a character. The thing is fake, but the guy probably did have info that the prima guide was gonna be put up for ordering.
Something people always seem to miss with leaks is that anyone can get actually valid information and then use it as a pretense to make a fake leak.
"I've got something credible. If I say it first, then go into a bunch of crazy made up stuff, people will have to believe me when the thing I know is true happens!"
Simple as that. Looking at the guys past posts, I see no reason he'd have some crazy insider info like that. He likely saw the amazon listing just before or right as it went up somehow and made his leak up after it.
The "leak" originally came from here on SmashBoards, not GameFAQs. Here's the link to the thread:

https://smashboards.com/threads/heres-everything.458565/

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's a good point. I do think they use opportunities like that. It's also an extra reason I don't give credit to leakers like Vergeben, especially because he's relying on other sources too, which could have both valid as well as invalid info.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Exactly the same thing the Devil May Cry 5 leaker did on 4chan. He had info about the game and then he added bs onto the end about Dante in Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Everyone getting stressed again...

While me...

Some people jump the gun way to quickly with some things.
Also, nice to see you around again.

I don't like when people are worried over nothing (not that I like when they're worried over something either :p)

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Mach rider could actually be fighter though.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Some people jump the gun way to quickly with some things.
Also, nice to see you around again.

I don't like when people are worried over nothing (not that I like when they're worried over something either :p)
Yeah, agreed.
We just have to wait and see what the upcoming announcements show.
Only that matters.

Our speculation here won't change history.
So just relax.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mach rider could actually be fighter though.
That goes for any character. :)
some have more chance than others though. We don't really know. Why believe something when we don't know the truth?

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
The leak (much like everything that can lead to her being an Assist Trophy) scares me, but wouldn't they choose a protagonist like Vault Dweller to represent Fallout over Vault Boy? Sakurai does tend to favor avatar characters when selecting them for Smash.

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
No matter what leaks come and go, I'm still going to be rooting and hoping for Shantae until the bitter end in December. There's still 12 weeks to go so it'll be a long wait, but until she's shown as an Assist Trophy or the game comes out, she's still rolling the dice, no matter how high the odds are stacked against her.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No matter what leaks come and go, I'm still going to be rooting and hoping for Shantae until the bitter end in December. There's still 12 weeks to go so it'll be a long wait, but until she's shown as an Assist Trophy or the game comes out, she's still rolling the dice, no matter how high the odds are stacked against her.
And even when the game comes out, if she's dlc then we might have to look further if we don't see anything of her in the game :O

The likelyhood of this leak being true is very low in my eyes. And I can't stop others from worrying about it if they do, but I don't think you should :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
exactly guys. just releax. Leaks don't mean anything. The only leaker that you should listen to if at all is Vergaben, and nothing he said hurts shantae at all.

Lets just enjoy these fake leaks people are saying, ignore the box theory as well, its pretty much wrong. the only theory thats legit atm is the music test theory, which clearly shows 3 more music icon slots, so we should be expecting 3 new series coming that get their own music icons(retro could be put into other, geno could be put with mario)

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So, what's up with everything that went on here while I was in class?
Sorry about my little outburst against Toy, I know they are simply concerned about her possibility relative to everyone else, but I get annoyed and highly hypocritical whenever every leak that doesn't have Shantae on it is treated as seriously as Sakurai revealing a character. Thankfully, two hours helped me cool down.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
exactly guys. just releax. Leaks don't mean anything. The only leaker that you should listen to if at all is Vergaben, and nothing he said hurts shantae at all.

Lets just enjoy these fake leaks people are saying, ignore the box theory as well, its pretty much wrong. the only theory thats legit atm is the music test theory, which clearly shows 3 more music icon slots, so we should be expecting 3 new series at most coming.
What makes it worth noting? Why only 3?
Sorryif this was talked about already.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
So here's the thing about leaks, especially anonymous text leaks.

1) They're dumb.
2) They're not credible.
3) Everyone and their grandmother can make one and people will believe them.
4) The leakers almost always claim they "know someone who works for Nintendo or a company that works for Nintendo", but never offer any proof of it.
5) They are very easy to make.
6) They often piggyback off of other fake leaks.
7) The people who make them are trolls who want attention and want to rile up fans of certain characters.

These fake leaks come and go. We have an especially long hype season with long droughts between the information we do get, so of course these fake "leakers" are going to create these for trolling and attention.

Believing in them only sets yourself up for disappointment and it makes you look a little gullible for believing in them. The best thing to do is to ignore them and not give them any attention at all.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
What makes it worth noting? Why only 3?
Sorryif this was talked about already.
This thing from the August Smash Direct

sound test screen.png

Sakurai left 3 blank slots, when if he wanted to fill up with the current numbers he could have with a different arrangment of tiles.

With Incineroar not going to get his own icon(and neither should have K Rool and Isabelle, who were revealed after this), we can expect 3 more series coming. Most likely DLC would go in other like in the past.

So if the retro(which i assume we are getting) gets a music icon, that leaves 2 more series to get music icons, for 4 characters. If Geno is also coming and put into the mario category(which is quite likely), or retro doesn't get a music icon, that means we have 5 unique characters for the game still coming.

My guess/hope? Retro is Lip with a music icon, Isaac, and and Shantae get music icons with Geno being in the Mario catagory(even if he gets a stage his music can still be part of mario), for a total of 5 more newcomers.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
So here's the thing about leaks, especially anonymous text leaks.

1) They're dumb.
2) They're not credible.
3) Everyone and their grandmother can make one and people will believe them.
4) The leakers almost always claim they "know someone who works for Nintendo or a company that works for Nintendo", but never offer any proof of it.
5) They are very easy to make.
6) They often piggyback off of other fake leaks.
7) The people who make them are trolls who want attention and want to rile up fans of certain characters.

These fake leaks come and go. We have an especially long hype season with long droughts between the information we do get, so of course these fake "leakers" are going to create these for trolling and attention.

Believing in them only sets yourself up for disappointment and it makes you look a little gullible for believing in them. The best thing to do is to ignore them and not give them any attention at all.
With the recent announcement of the PRIMA guide for the Collector's Edition, I'm not so sure that leak was fake.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I WANT to believe the evidence that points to her being in, but the whole PRIMA thing has killed any remaining hype I had left.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Everyone's gotten so riled up due to the possibility of Shantae being playable that they've lost sight of the fact that even being in the game as an assist trophy is a monumental accomplishment. We've completely just stepped over that and now we look back at it with scorn on our faces like it would be a part of our past we wish we could forget. Every leak that has her as an assist trophy is met with disinterest and ridicule, and anyone who thinks an AT is more likely is shunned and forgotten.

We weren't like this before Shovel Knight was added as an assist trophy himself. We were optimistic and giddy with the concept of Shantae just being included in some form, and now we write off anything other than a playable appearance. It's time to give the assist trophy role the merit it deserves, whether or not it is Sakurai's choice.

It is fine to stay positive. It is fine to be idealistic. And most importantly: it is fine to believe Shantae will be a fighter in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. However, the issue comes from what some people say they will do if she is not a playable fighter and is an assist trophy or less. Don't boycott Smash. Don't boycott Wayforward. Most of all though, act with class and don't throw a fit online. I understand that most of the haters out there use the assist trophy argument as a way to write Shantae off as unlikely, but to be honest the fact that they even consider her as an assist trophy means that we have presence and we have gotten through to them that Shantae belongs in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. It stands as a testament to everyone that we have made our voices heard and people know who we are. If the outcome is less than favorable, I understand it will be a frustrating time for us all, but we need to show that we're better than the Waluigi fans and other groups if the outcome isn't what we want. Thank you for your time.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This thing from the August Smash Direct

View attachment 165536

Sakurai left 3 blank slots, when if he wanted to fill up with the current numbers he could have with a different arrangment of tiles.

With Incineroar not going to get his own icon(and neither should have K Rool and Isabelle, who were revealed after this), we can expect 3 more series coming. Most likely DLC would go in other like in the past.

So if the retro(which i assume we are getting) gets a music icon, that leaves 2 more series to get music icons, for 4 characters. If Geno is also coming and put into the mario category(which is quite likely), or retro doesn't get a music icon, that means we have 5 unique characters for the game still coming.

My guess/hope? Retro is Lip with a music icon, Isaac, and and Shantae get music icons with Geno being in the Mario catagory(even if he gets a stage his music can still be part of mario), for a total of 5 more newcomers.
Why wouldn't it just continue to scroll down as they add more icons?
I don't understand how this limits anything.

and I dont believe inceneroar at all. I'll admit to being wrong if he somehow comes around.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Guys, we are just talking about a character being in a game or not. Of course we do love Shantae, and we'd loooove to see her make her fighting debut, but why do you guys get so worked up about it ? It would make me feel extremely happy, but it's not a big deal at the end of the day.
At this point, she may get in or not, that's true, and that's what we try to find out through collective "invstigation". Plenty of hints seem to point towards a positive outcome. Keep in mind that she is kind of an underdog here, which would make her inclusion even more epic.
As long as she is able to avoid the deconfirmation bullets, which she does extremely well so far, we're fine. Let's just keep supporting her during this tough race and keep a vigilent eye for any clue we can get !

zferolie

Smash Hero
I WANT to believe the evidence that points to her being in, but the whole PRIMA thing has killed any remaining hype I had left.
I just looking up the prima guide... all it is is just a white hard cover book that says the title. no info on characters, no even hint at characters. Heck I'm sure thats not even the real design of the book. How does that deconfirm shantae, or anyone?

Everyone's gotten so riled up due to the possibility of Shantae being playable that they've lost sight of the fact that even being in the game as an assist trophy is a monumental accomplishment. We've completely just stepped over that and now we look back at it with scorn on our faces like it would be a part of our past we wish we could forget. Every leak that has her as an assist trophy is met with disinterest and ridicule, and anyone who thinks an AT is more likely is shunned and forgotten.

We weren't like this before Shovel Knight was added as an assist trophy himself. We were optimistic and giddy with the concept of Shantae just being included in some form, and now we write off anything other than a playable appearance. It's time to give the assist trophy role the merit it deserves, whether or not it is Sakurai's choice.

It is fine to stay positive. It is fine to be idealistic. And most importantly: it is fine to believe Shantae will be a fighter in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. However, the issue comes from what some people say they will do if she is not a playable fighter and is an assist trophy or less. Don't boycott Smash. Don't boycott Wayforward. Most of all though, act with class and don't throw a fit online. I understand that most of the haters out there use the assist trophy argument as a way to write Shantae off as unlikely, but to be honest the fact that they even consider her as an assist trophy means that we have presence and we have gotten through to them that Shantae belongs in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. It stands as a testament to everyone that we have made our voices heard and people know who we are. If the outcome is less than favorable, I understand it will be a frustrating time for us all, but we need to show that we're better than the Waluigi fans and other groups if the outcome isn't what we want. Thank you for your time.
Exactly. Even if shantae is just an AT, or a normal trophy, I'll be happy she is in. Not as happy if she was playable, but still happy.

Why wouldn't it just continue to scroll down as they add more icons?
I don't understand how this limits anything.

and I dont believe inceneroar at all. I'll admit to being wrong if he somehow comes around.
It very well could scroll down more. but that would mean 8 more unique fighters coming from brand new series, and that seems very unlikely.

Maybe DLC could scroll it down though. Like Dragon Quest, ARMS, Rayman, and Banjo and Kazooie.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
With the recent announcement of the PRIMA guide for the Collector's Edition, I'm not so sure that leak was fake.
Again, where's their proof that that person worked for PRIMA? That's easily something someone could have easily made up. I could easily have said that I worked for X company in a fake leak. That doesn't make it true.

If you want to believe an easily faked leak, then that's your business, but fake anonymous text leaks are dime a dozen. There is zero credibility with them.

People really need to look at these things with a more critical eye and stop giving up at the drop of a hat.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For you guys getting down over silly things, have some great shantae art.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just looking up the prima guide... all it is is just a white hard cover book that says the title. no info on characters, no even hint at characters. Heck I'm sure thats not even the real design of the book. How does that deconfirm shantae, or anyone?

Exactly. Even if shantae is just an AT, or a normal trophy, I'll be happy she is in. Not as happy if she was playable, but still happy.

It very well could scroll down more. but that would mean 8 more unique fighters coming from brand new series, and that seems very unlikely.

Maybe DLC could scroll it down though. Like Dragon Quest, ARMS, Rayman, and Banjo and Kazooie.
I'm confused. Why do you think it needs to fit perfectly? And yes there will be more with DLC too.. there's not going to be a perfect number so that it fits in a scroll box (without empty spaces or whatever), so I still dont know what this is about..

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

The difference between Shantae and Shovel Knight comes down to a simple question. Why would Sakurai see her enough to put her in the game and yet totally miss her potential as a creative fighter over an AT that will have maybe three actions?

Top Bottom