• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm confused. Why do you think it needs to fit perfectly? And yes there will be more with DLC too.. there's not going to be a perfect number so that it fits in a scroll box (without empty spaces or whatever), so I still dont know what this is about..
A perfectionist like Sakurai not fitting the screen up at base? seems quite strange and odd and unlike him

Teeb147

Smash Legend
A perfectionist like Sakurai not fitting the screen up at base? seems quite strange and odd and unlike him
mmm. I don't think so. I think youre the perfectionist :p
Empty spaces are just empty spaces. It's normal for what it is, a scrollbox for series icons. They would have to take into account all the series' beforehand just to make sure there's no empty spaces. I'm sure there's going to be additions they havent totally planned yet also.

I'm starting to understand that it's not really a concern at all, at least for me.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
If she was to end up as an AT (Which she won't) This is how I picture her, She would either:
-Stay as a human and whip a few people
-Transform into one of her animals and perform an action based off that

This is how I believe she should end up, but I don't think it would happen this way because Its putting a random element on top of a random element. What will she do or transform into? IDK

*Sigh* I'm not giving up hope, but I am so **** tired of all these "leaks." All I see is the evidence for her being much stronger than the evidence against her.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I know I said that all these leaks scare me (because it only takes one being real to deconfirm her), but the only text leaks that we should truly be giving any attention at this point are Vergeben's.

I'd think that could be the case if it were something big like stages (see Corocoro 108 leak), that Sakurai would have to put a DLC button in for and pay close attention to formatting, but I'm not so sure about the music screen. It's just "add to the end and add another row if need be". Obviously im not saying this hurts her chances in any way, I'm just not sure about the theory.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
mmm. I don't think so. I think youre the perfectionist :p
Empty spaces are just empty spaces. It's normal for what it is, a scrollbox for series icons. They would have to take into account all the series' beforehand just to make sure there's no empty spaces. I'm sure there's going to be additions they havent totally planned yet also.

I'm starting to understand that it's not really a concern at all, at least for me.
lol maybe. But I feel its something to look at, as he could have did a different arrangement for the 32 icons we do see to not have those spaces(4x8 for example) instead of going for the 5x7 he has there. Then if more were coming easily just go down like you said.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
With Vergeben's lack of predicting K. Rool. I don't view him as reliable. he was arguably the most wanted character and he did not predict him. If he actually had information, I feel like he would have leaked them as well.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
lol maybe. But I feel its something to look at, as he could have did a different arrangement for the 32 icons we do see to not have those spaces(4x8 for example) instead of going for the 5x7 he has there. Then if more were coming easily just go down like you said.
Sure. can keep a lookout. But if youre open to dlc and all that, then it's likely that it's not going to end up perfectly filled anyway, imo. (and no need to do so before it either.)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
With Vergeben's lack of predicting K. Rool and Ridely, I don't view him as reliable. Those were arguably the most wanted characters and he did not predict him. If he actually had information, I feel like he would have leaked them as well.
He did leak Ridley, at least.

Someone told him "no DK newcomers," but he didn't believe it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sure. can keep a lookout. But if youre open to dlc and all that, then it's likely that it's not going to end up perfectly filled anyway, imo. (and no need to do so before it either.)
Ah, I meant to say, base game I feel like he would have no empty spaces, same as base game smashdown would be a number perfectly divisible by 2, 3, and 4. Obviously DLC will mess those up, and we should expect that, but he probably doesn't even know how long he will do DLC for, so he is just focusing on the base game to look clean and stuff.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ah, I meant to say, base game I feel like he would have no empty spaces, same as base game smashdown would be a number perfectly divisible by 2, 3, and 4. Obviously DLC will mess those up, and we should expect that, but he probably doesn't even know how long he will do DLC for, so he is just focusing on the base game to look clean and stuff.
There might even be dlc sooner than later. The base game look doesn't matter that much (maybe for ocd people :p) if it's just going to change anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok can everyone stop talking about that fake leak and move on to shantaes possible exclucivity contract please?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok can everyone stop talking about that fake leak and move on to shantaes possible exclucivity contract please?
I'm sorry that it's upsetting to you to discuss leaks connor. I think that sometimes maybe you can skip past posts that you dont like, ignore them because some people might still want to discuss them. I think we've talked about everything else and we don't have a lot of newer information.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well the whole discussion about leaks is moot anyways.
The only thing that matters, are the official announcements.

Anything else is just speculaton.
And like I said, no matter what we say, it won't change time.

So relax people.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
"I was fired by Nintendo last month and they ****ed me over on the last check, so here goes some of their secrets that I'm no longer bound to keep. For smash bros. King Boo is the next new comer. He takes his abilities from his various appearances in the Mario series. He's going to segue the conversation in the new Spirits mode. It's basically a concise Subspace Emissary. Shadow is the next character to revealed (he's not a full clone (think Dr. Mario)). Shantae, Petey Piranha, and Tetris are revealed as Assist Trophy's before the announcement of Isaac."
that's how easy it is to write a leak. Now all I have to do is post it anonymously to some site and watch the internet explode. If some schmuck like me can do it... Don't believe any of them. lol

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Sakurai is not a perfectionist. *Cough* Sm4sh Menus *Cough*
Uhh, Sakurai's wife designed the Smash menus for 64, Melee, and Brawl. And seeing as Smash 4's menu is similar I think they were just sticking with the theme. But it seems like ultimate is doing something new with its UI.

D

Deleted member

I want to make a point on the fact of Shantae not appearing in any fighting games.

It would be totally out of character for WF to suddenly be overprotective of their IP like that. Seeing as they have let Shantae appear in other types of games and seeing as they are very encouraging of Fan Art. And they are very responsive to fans on twitter, except concerning smash. They even gave away jammies mode for free. It seems odd too me that they have show enthusiastic willingness to please the fans but would then refuse to allow her in Any indie fighting games despite the fans desperatly wanting her.

While they arent as permissive as YCG has been with Shovel Knight, who by the way will show up at your grandmas Birthday Party if you ask YCG. They have hardly have been proven to be the dragon sitting on the pile of gold that opponents of the NCC theory try and claim.

However, it is totally in Nintendo and sakurais character to be the Dragon sitting on the pile of gold. It was revealed that Retro games wanted to bring back king k. Rool but they were denied because sakurai wanted to be the one to bring him back. Also solid snake didnt appear in Playstation allstars because he was already in smash. So i could totally seeing Sakurai wanting to be the one to Debut Shantae in a fighting game. And thus insist WF be placed under an exclusivety agreement.
I’m just going to reply this so everyone calms down

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The only thing I know for sure is that Shantae is going to be in Smash. Whether in base or DLC is up to Sakurai himself.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Seriously, did anyone seriously expect or want Rodin as a playable character? And did platinum games shill for him as a playable character during the ballot?

If Wayford really hinted at Shantae being an assist trophy in Jammies mode after aggressvly campaigning for her as a playable character it would show that their kind of stupid and out of touch with their fans as doing so would certainly piss off a huge chunk of their fanbase.

I certainly will not be buying another WF game if shantae is an assist however i will if she is not in the game at all.
Thats not THEIR fault, its yours and anyone else's fault for hyping yourselves up in thinking the seemingly ONLY sensible event here is Shantae being playable in Smash. We could all be wrong and Shantae is just an AT, and you know what ,despite the dissapointment that would obviously come from it. It would still be a massive accomplishment for WF and they deserve to be happy about that and not earn the ire from fans who went and said "ALL this evidence means Shantae HAS to be playable and if she's not then WF is horrible and stupid!" WF ultimately has nowhere near the amount of control makingg her playable, obviously they'd have a business disucssion and talk with Sakurai, Nintendo and people involved with Smash to get her playable possibly, but it all depends on Sakurai and the like to agree to make her playable, its not like WF would choose to go AT over Playable here.

You comment pisses me and you come off as a severely entitled person.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Something else to consider here. Even Shantae as an assist trophy doesn't mean much. Enough demand could see her as a fighter. I'll cite Black Manta in Injustice 2 as precedent.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Something else to consider here. Even Shantae as an assist trophy doesn't mean much. Enough demand could see her as a fighter. I'll cite Black Manta in Injustice 2 as precedent.
You don't even have to go to a different series to find precedent. MewTwo was a trophy in the Smash 4 base game before DLC.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Assist Trophies were never made playable characters later, in the same game.
And I don't see it happening in Ultimate either.

Many Waluigi fans still cling onto this hope, cuz denial.

Either way, if Shantae gets in as an Assist Trophy, that will be her role in Ultimate and it won't be changed later.
It's too bad, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Either way, if Shantae gets in as an Assist Trophy, that will be her role in Ultimate and it won't be changed later.
It's too bad, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Uhm I disagree, if we've learned something, especially with this iteration of smash, it's that ( almost ) everything is possible in smash.
Exemple from the past : I remember people saying Mewtwo would never be added as DLC because his regular trophy was in the game... And you know the story.
The ones who will be trophies appear to be among the most requested characters ( Krystal, Ashley ect ) and I don't see them dropping unwanted characters as DLC.
But we are both are as clueless as each other you may very well be right as well ;)

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Thats not THEIR fault, its yours and anyone else's fault for hyping yourselves up in thinking the seemingly ONLY sensible event here is Shantae being playable in Smash. We could all be wrong and Shantae is just an AT, and you know what ,despite the dissapointment that would obviously come from it. It would still be a massive accomplishment for WF and they deserve to be happy about that and not earn the ire from fans who went and said "ALL this evidence means Shantae HAS to be playable and if she's not then WF is horrible and stupid!" WF ultimately has nowhere near the amount of control makingg her playable, obviously they'd have a business disucssion and talk with Sakurai, Nintendo and people involved with Smash to get her playable possibly, but it all depends on Sakurai and the like to agree to make her playable, its not like WF would choose to go AT over Playable here.

You comment pisses me and you come off as a severely entitled person.
This is right, you know.

Putting this on WF is rather...well, dumb.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Uhm I disagree, if we've learned something, especially with this iteration of smash, it's that ( almost ) everything is possible in smash.
Exemple from the past : I remember people saying Mewtwo would never be added as DLC because his regular trophy was in the game... And you know the story.
The ones who will be trophies appear to be among the most requested characters ( Krystal, Ashley ect ) and I don't see them dropping unwanted characters as DLC.
But we are both are as clueless as each other you may very well be right as well ;)
I said Assist Trophy, not regular trophy.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
1. It was never done before.
2. They'd have to remove content to add another. Which would probably be a waste in Nintendo's eyes...

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I said Assist Trophy, not regular trophy.
I got it, thank you.
It's just a way to show that any "it's impossible because she/he already appears in the game in some manner " was proven wrong.
As I said, we all are clueless and should not state things like it's the literal truth
And I also low-key hope that you are wrong for obvious reasons ^^

Edit : actually not, since they would make us pay for a character technically already designed and appearing in the basic game. They'd be smart to do that.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I got it, thank you.
It's just a way to show that any "it's impossible because she/he already appears in the game" in some manner was proven wrong.
As I said, we all are clueless and should not state things like it's the literal truth
And I also low-key hope that you are wrong for obvious reasons ^^
The situation is very different in both cases though.

Mewtwo was just a regular trophy that didn't appear as anything in-game.
So making him a character wasn't an issue.

Assist Trophies are a different beast however.
They are essentially summons and serve a big purpose in-game.
So turning those into fighters is unlikely.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Everything is more or less unlikely as long as we don't have proof of it.
And plenty of unlikely things happened so far. But you make a point.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
1. It was never done before.
I don't think this is a good argument. Several major 3rd party inclusions were never done before; but Smash 4 DLC exists.
Sakurai has never openly listened to fans in such a direct, global-scale manner; yet the ballot was created.
It may be unlikely, but something not being done before doesn't mean that it's impossible.

2. They'd have to remove content to add another. Which would probably be a waste in Nintendo's eyes...
If it makes Nintendo money, they don't care what Sakurai does. That's how large companies like Nintendo work. Not to mention that Assist Trophies already have more accomplished than regular trophies (i.e. higher-res textures, skeletal-rigging, animation work, moveset testing, meshes)

So my conclusion is simply that it may be unlikely based on the past, but the future has no restraint on the possibility. It's really just a coin flip.

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
I'm still hoping that Sakurai will go the route of making AT's into DLC characters this time around.
Final Smash Direct​
Sakurai talks about DLC​
Announces Rex & Pyra as the first upcoming DLC same way they did with Mewtwo​
"One more thing. For Smash Ultimate, we will later be introducing some DLC that upgrades certain fighters from Assist Trophy to full fledged fighters. Look forward to seeing who breaks out of the Assist Trophy in later announcements."​
Imagine the absolute carnage and bloodshed he'd unleash right before launch by doing that.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm still hoping that Sakurai will go the route of making AT's into DLC characters this time around.
Final Smash Direct​
Sakurai talks about DLC​
Announces Rex & Pyra as the first upcoming DLC same way they did with Mewtwo​
"One more thing. For Smash Ultimate, we will later be introducing some DLC that upgrades certain fighters from Assist Trophy to full fledged fighters. Look forward to seeing who breaks out of the Assist Trophy in later announcements."​
Imagine the absolute carnage and bloodshed he'd unleash right before launch by doing that.
If this is planned for the last smash game for a long time, I can see some future DLC being for Assist trophies. it could happen.

Top Bottom