• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
A Piercing Screech - Ridley
Vampire Killer - Simon
The Rivals - K. Rool
All in a Day's Work - Isabelle

What do you think the title for Shantae's trailer will be when if she's revealed?

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I don't see the whole "ATs can NEVER become playable in the same game" argument. Physically there is nothing standing in the way of that process, as in going in to the files and removing the ability for that character to spawn could be as simple as changing a 1 to a Zero.

The whole "Never been done before" argument is dumb, we in this thread are vying for Shantae, A western made and owned Indie character as a fighter, That has never been done.

And the "would be a waste" argument is also dumb. You are removing a character that only appears In an item, and within that item there is a 1 in 50 (assuming they all have the same spawn rate) chance that character will even show up.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Thats not THEIR fault, its yours and anyone else's fault for hyping yourselves up in thinking the seemingly ONLY sensible event here is Shantae being playable in Smash. We could all be wrong and Shantae is just an AT, and you know what ,despite the dissapointment that would obviously come from it. It would still be a massive accomplishment for WF and they deserve to be happy about that and not earn the ire from fans who went and said "ALL this evidence means Shantae HAS to be playable and if she's not then WF is horrible and stupid!" WF ultimately has nowhere near the amount of control makingg her playable, obviously they'd have a business disucssion and talk with Sakurai, Nintendo and people involved with Smash to get her playable possibly, but it all depends on Sakurai and the like to agree to make her playable, its not like WF would choose to go AT over Playable here.

You comment pisses me and you come off as a severely entitled person.
And you come across as a boot licker. Willing to accept anything no matter how demeaning as long as its offered by a famous person.

Sorry, but "but its smash" is no excuse to accept the irrational logic that a character oozing with potential as a fighter beimlng shoved into a supporting role reserved for one note characters. Its flatly insulting and should rightfully be ridiculed. And accepting such a fate for a unique character like shantae is indeed the smash equivilant of bootlicking. It might be Nintendos boot but its still bootlicking nontheless.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don't see the whole "ATs can NEVER become playable in the same game" argument. Physically there is nothing standing in the way of that process, as in going in to the files and removing the ability for that character to spawn could be as simple as changing a 1 to a Zero.

The whole "Never been done before" argument is dumb, we in this thread are vying for Shantae, A western made and owned Indie character as a fighter, That has never been done.

And the "would be a waste" argument is also dumb. You are removing a character that only appears In an item, and within that item there is a 1 in 50 (assuming they all have the same spawn rate) chance that character will even show up.
That’s why I still believe in Ashley and Knuckles for dlc, and maybe Waluigi if Sakurai is done trolling him.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, yeah. I am a piece of garbage, I get it.
Not the first time someone said that to me.

I simply think at this point in time, saying ATs will be characters later in the same game, is very reaching.
ATs turning into characters in the next Smash Game, I dig. That happened and it's very probable.

Also, Sakurai thinks of Assist Trophies differently than we do.
We think they are straight up mockeries of the characters.
An insult to a character that should be playable.

Sakurai on the other hand, thinks of them as characters that he couldn't make playable in this game for whatever reason (Coding issues, not realizable as playable character, etc.), but still sees them as valuable characters worthy of representation.
So Assist Trophies are his way to give characters, that didn't make it into playable status, still the love they deserve.

I stick to my point that Assist Trophies made into playable characters later is reaching and very unlikely to happen, at this point.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
And you come across as a boot licker. Willing to accept anything no matter how demeaning as long as its offered by a famous person.

Sorry, but "but its smash" is no excuse to accept the irrational logic that a character oozing with potential as a fighter beimlng shoved into a supporting role reserved for one note characters. Its flatly insulting and should rightfully be ridiculed. And accepting such a fate for a unique character like shantae is indeed the smash equivilant of bootlicking. It might be Nintendos boot but its still bootlicking nontheless.
Yep "entitled" was the perfect word of my choice.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
ugh no need to take everything personally, we are just debating.
Sorry, but calling someone dumb, for not saying what you want them to say, is not debating. :/

I know a lot of people still hope for Waluigi and other AT-characters to become playable later.
But honestly, I can't see it happening.
Hate me for it if you want. But i stand my ground here.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
The problem with making the theoretical AT fighters would be that the game gets changed because one would have to remove the Assist Trophy for when they are playing. This is basically blocking off part of the game for specific characters. While there would be ways around this (like an impostor character (Master Core's shadow bugs, maybe?) taking the form of those AT fighters or having an extra alt, with the extra alts being used if they're on the battlefield), to avoid content getting removed, but it wouldn't make sense from a design standpoint to remove AT's for when certain characters are fighting and I don't see any of those work-arounds actually being implemented.

Yep "entitled" was the perfect word of my choice.
Better entitled than a bootlicker.
Enough. Now it's less of a debate and more of a flame war.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but calling someone dumb, for not saying what you want them to say, is not debating. :/

I know a lot of people still hope for Waluigi and other AT-characters to become playable later.
But honestly, I can't see it happening.
Hate me for it if you want. But i stand my ground here.
I agree, while its possible, i cant see them doing all the work on an assist and the just turning around and making them playable.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
My only issue on the idea of assist trophies becoming playable in the same game is that it would be like back peddeling. They put all the work into making the functions of that assist trophy and then they would essentially be throwing it all out to then do more work and make them playable.

I don't see them wanting to do that. Yes, they could, but i don't see it happening.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Super Bomberman R update
>Upa and even Star Soldier's Caesar are playable
>still no Master Higgins or Bonk
They can't catch a break anywhere.

I agree, while its possible, i cant see them doing all the work on an assist and the just turning around and making them playable.
Yeah. Plus it would possibly get in the way of other characters that might already are being planned for prospective DLC. For those assists, it's "better luck next time".

Besides, both Dark Samus and Isabelle got promoted, so they clearly are aiming for AT characters that Sakurai might think of movesets or Echoes for. It's best to hope that cases like Isaac and Kat/Ana are among those.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The air needs to cool down here.
Not pointing fingers but its getting a little intense.
I agree. Everyone can we please calm down the leak was already proven fake and shantaes chances are still the same as ever so let’s all think positive and move on.:)
:ultjigglypuff:

She’s still a fighter you all are just getting hooked up on fake leaks while I am looking at the last few pages and Freelance Spy Freelance Spy rtc page trying to put the pieces all together that she is indeed a fighter.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Easy answer. Shantae upgrade to playable, make the assist trophy Nega Shantae and nothing is lost.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I agree. Everyone can we please calm down the leak was already proven fake and shantaes chances are still the same as ever so let’s all think positive and move on.:)
:ultjigglypuff:

She’s still a fighter you all are just getting hooked up on fake leaks while I am looking at the last few pages and Freelance Spy Freelance Spy rtc page trying to put the pieces all together that she is indeed a fighter.
As convincing as it is, she's not been confirmed yet.
And her fate isn't set in stone, until she is announced as something.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Right now there are two assist trophies yet to be seen that I can see getting the playable jump: Kat&Ana + Shadow. Why not Isaac or Skull Kid? Because Isaac was 100% absent in smash 4, and Skull Kid makes too much sense as a boss at this point, and if the music theory is correct, the best we can get from that series is an echo anyway.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
A Piercing Screech - Ridley
Vampire Killer - Simon
The Rivals - K. Rool
All in a Day's Work - Isabelle

What do you think the title for Shantae's trailer will be when if she's revealed?
“Dancing Through the Danger” would be appropriate enough, I think anything to do with wish granting would probably fit Geno more. Unrelated but I also want the term “Genie in a Throttle” to be in the game somewhere.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anytime someone says assists can't be turned into playable characters, I think Pokken's Croagunk.

There are a great deal of measures the devs could take in order to consolidate playables alongside assists (or not), if they really wanted. So if the day comes where Shantae is revealed as an assist, I still don't see that as a reason to give up as long as DLC continues.

NukeA6

Smash Master
why do you have it out for me :(

what did i do wrong?
It's not you, it's people in this thread being too emotional for stupid reasons.

Nuke has not been overly kind, but it might also not be serious, like zferolie said
Don't worry about 1 person ok?

it's ok :)
Call me mean if you wish, I really don't care but I'm not gonna think selfishly and join the ******** and moaning all over this thread. You'd think someone recovering from an illness would make some light of this place but we're right back where we started. Funny thing is that we want to bash on the haters yet we're giving them reasons why we don't deserve Shantae in Smash Bros Ultimate.

But if it makes you happy, I won't think twice of leaving this thread for good. I'll even call Yellowbird to remove me from the supporter list. I want Shantae but I'd rather not be a hypocrite for saying SmashFAQs is bad when this thread isn't exactly being the model fanbase. At least the FAQs trolls aren't so thin-skinned and witch hunt their own.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I agree with the sentiment that people in this thread need to chill.

Relax, sit back an play some vidyageims. The thread will still be here when you get back.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Anytime someone says assists can't be turned into playable characters, I think Pokken's Croagunk.

There are a great deal of measures the devs could take in order to consolidate playables alongside assists (or not), if they really wanted. So if the day comes where Shantae is revealed as an assist, I still don't see that as a reason to give up as long as DLC continues.
Yeah, because Pokken Tournament is totally a Smash Game and the Switch version of Pokken is the exact same game...

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
hello

i hope your all doing well :)
Ya boi survived Death's Hour. Doctor said you had a couple hours left, yet here you are still standing strong.

I wanna double post JUST to see you come back. Stand strong my man!

----

If it makes you guys feel better, I think we can have a little fun today and keep things more positive! (Seriously, I'm walking in depressedville.)

Everybody knows about Palutena's Guidance from Sm4sh, so what do you guys think Shantae's would be?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wow guys, you all need to relax. i think you are going a bit stir crazy lol There is nothing wrong with speculation but never let it get you too hype or too upset. Debating is good but never fight or be mean about it.

Ashley and Waluigi are the first to come to mind.
Krystal as well.
Those are the 3 Assist trophies that spring to mind right away. Maybe Takumaru as well.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965

Relax, sit back an play some vidyageims. The thread will still be here when you get back.
I'm playing Blazing Dragons, what is everyone else doing?

Retro's are Nintendo first party retros. Like Pac Man could have been considered a retro last game, but the retro was Duck hunt in reality. CHaracters like Lip, Mach Rider, Donbe and Hikari, and Ayumi Tachibana would be considered retro

Yeah saw a video on it. someone thought it was real because of how they were saying the info haha. yeah not happening that one. No one would risk their job on nintendo like that.
I still don't think Sakurai has a "retro quota" so to speak.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Planning on playing Pokémon(platinum specifically) later to chill out after all the different rants I had on different threads today (about the pokemon rep and Verge’s very illegitimate ‘credibility’)

Last edited:

Swade

Smash Apprentice

For me on video games been playing Monster Rancher 2 and Rare Replay.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
About to fight Asgore in my pacifist playthrough with no healz. First time actually legit playing the game.

No wonder why we're looking like loonies.
I think people sometimes take these things too seriously. It's just a game we're discussing; this isn't a courtroom.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman

Sorry for the picture being too large. Here is something I made several years ago. Its GBC shantae sprites made out of perler beads. You know, those beads you put on peg boards and you iron them so that they all melt together to form a solid image. I have been wanting to make Rottytop for a while. (Sky and Bolo too)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I still don't think Sakurai has a "retro quota" so to speak.
He seems to like including retros in the games. ice Climbers, Pit(at the time he was a dead series), Game and Watch, ROB, and Duck Hunt. Plus he has discussed a ton of other retros he has thought of, like Mach Rider, Ayumi, and Takumaru. It feels safe to assume he will add another.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
About to fight Asgore in my pacifist playthrough with no healz. First time actually legit playing the game.

I think people sometimes take these things too seriously. It's just a game we're discussing; this isn't a courtroom.
You got people being mean and justifying it from other people on here freaking over leak #5323 for the 80th time in a row. Meanwhile I dont give a **** about any of it and just like to talk...occasional angry banter not withstanding

Top Bottom