• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Sorry for the picture being too large. Here is something I made several years ago. Its GBC shantae sprites made out of perler beads. You know, those beads you put on peg boards and you iron them so that they all melt together to form a solid image. I have been wanting to make Rottytop for a while. (Sky and Bolo too)
Oh thats really cool!

As for what I am playing. Playing DQ8 on 3ds, DQ11 on PS4, Destiny 2 on PS4, and FF14 on PC.... trying to find time for all of them is hard...

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
When it comes to the Assist thing, if Shantae gets stuck as an AT I consider that game over in regards to her being playable. The fanbases view of an AT and Sakurai's view of an AT differ a lot, people see their favorite getting AT'd as an insult, but Sakurai considers it good enough they're in the game at all. If Shantae DOES get stuck as an AT I'll be really sad, but also happy she got in the game period since that's still a huge step up.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
When it comes to the Assist thing, if Shantae gets stuck as an AT I consider that game over in regards to her being playable. The fanbases view of an AT and Sakurai's view of an AT differ a lot, people see their favorite getting AT'd as an insult, but Sakurai considers it good enough they're in the game at all. If Shantae DOES get stuck as an AT I'll be really sad, but also happy she got in the game period since that's still a huge step up.
Yeh its still basically like a silver medal

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Her absence in any indie fighting game is what convinced me she can't be an assist trophy.

WF have no problem putting her in other games, so the only reason she wouldn't be in those is if they couldn't have her in because of a contact.

Now, yes, to be an assist trophy you would sign a contract, but we know that what ever Yatch Club had to agree to too have SK as an assist didn't prevent him from being in those games. So something is clearly different with Shantae. Otherwise it would mean Nintendo was putting right restrictions on Wayforward for no reason, which doesn't make sense legally.

No, Jammies convinced me she's in the game and all those indie fighting games not having her when some have booked a desire to convinced me she can't be an assist.

I'm prepared to eat my words should I be proven wrong, but until then I can't ignore the only possibility that makes the most sense of these different events.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
HECK YES! I'M CONVINCED SHE IS IN. THE EVIDENCE IS JUST TOO ASSURING!
I'm calm
I'm in the same boat as you too, buddy.
Though I'd say I'm like a knight templar, in that I go a bit too far.
The company behind Shovel Knight (edit: oof I just noticed the typo) (also is everything ok on your end?)
Didn't you notice the sarcasm there, man?

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
WF have no problem putting her in other games, so the only reason she wouldn't be in those is if they couldn't have her in because of a contact.
This right here is the thing I've been going off of the most. While Wayforward isn't Yacht Club and won't hand Shantae over to every single IP who asks (thank god) at the end of the day, Shantae getting cameos is free publicity for Wayforward. There is no reason for Shantae NOT to show up in games like Blade Strangers (where she'd fit perfectly) RoA or Indie Pogo.
She still makes cameos in other games like Indivisible or Blaster Master but those are notably not fighting/faux Smash games. Shantae's role in Indivisible was also confirmed in about 2014 I want to say.

Of course, it could be possible WF is just being stingy with the Shantae IP, but when you combine it with the Jammies mode dialog, Wayforward going radio silent when it comes to Smash despite the fact that they MADE the #ShantaeforSmash hashtag, then Shovel Knight getting in as an AT showing us indies isn't a pipe dream anymore it just

sh.png

it really makes you think, you know?

I think Shantae is in the game in SOME capacity but whether or not she's an AT is yet to be seen, but like if she were an AT wouldn't it make sense to show her next to Shovel Knight? Just tear off the bandaids all at once? I don't know, am I getting too tinfoil hat here? There's too many stacked up instances that would mean nothing on their own, all happening at once.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
but like if she were an AT wouldn't it make sense to show her next to Shovel Knight? Just tear off the bandaids all at once? I don't know, am I getting too tinfoil hat here? There's too many stacked up instances that would mean nothing on their own, all happening at once.
Exactly. They showed Ashley in that direct to “Rip the bandaid off” because they saw a quick rise in popularity post e3 (hence why she was so sloppily shown) so if Shantae were an assist, they would’ve thrown her in there as well.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Just remember

[Insert the "Leaks are dumb" gif here]

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'm in the same boat as you too, buddy.
Though I'd say I'm like a knight templar, in that I go a bit too far.

Didn't you notice the sarcasm there, man?
twas a joke

im feeling like complete bull right now
its not going too well at all
I did notice the sarcasm; hence the "oof I just noticed the typo". But clearly it was too late lol.

Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy hope things get better.

Exactly. They showed Ashley in that direct to “Rip the bandaid off” because they saw a quick rise in popularity post e3 (hence why she was so sloppily shown) so if Shantae were an assist, they would’ve thrown her in there as well.
I kinda feel that the time to "rip the band-aid off" would be November(?), except that would be the only time to show her off, considering how I feel she gained a lot of momentum after SK was revealed as an AT.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
To keep positivity on this thread...

Ray Narvaez Jr (a.k.a Brownman, a former Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter member) recently hit 1 million Xbox Live gamerscore with... Shantae Half Genie Hero Ultimate Edition!

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I kinda feel that the time to "rip the band-aid off" would be November(?), except that would be the only time to show her off, considering how I feel she gained a lot of momentum after SK was revealed as an AT.
Yeah, but even before that direct they were neck and neck in popularity, which is why it doesn’t make much sense to have not shown her at the same time... unless a bigger role is planned here. But that’s just a theory... a GAME THEORY!

D

Deleted member

I did notice the sarcasm; hence the "oof I just noticed the typo". But clearly it was too late lol.

Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy hope things get better.

Please don’t start this up again:(

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
good ol "yatch" club games eh?

surprisingly ive never heard of them before
who are "yatch" club games?
Sorry, I missed have been thinking of the Monty Python Sketch where Graham Chapman introduced himself as "Raymond Luxury Yacht" but he pronounced it with the "t" sound before the "ch" sound.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Please don’t start this up again:(
I actually wasn't trying to start that again; I legitimately think that if they were revealed together, they'd kinda overshadow each other.

Edit: I wasn't trying to say anything about her chances. I was just saying how I feel a theoretical AT would be revealed.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
twas a joke

im feeling like complete bull right now
its not going too well at all
Don't worry bro. Ya got this!

This right here is the thing I've been going off of the most. While Wayforward isn't Yacht Club and won't hand Shantae over to every single IP who asks (thank god) at the end of the day, Shantae getting cameos is free publicity for Wayforward. There is no reason for Shantae NOT to show up in games like Blade Strangers (where she'd fit perfectly) RoA or Indie Pogo.
She still makes cameos in other games like Indivisible or Blaster Master but those are notably not fighting/faux Smash games. Shantae's role in Indivisible was also confirmed in about 2014 I want to say.

Of course, it could be possible WF is just being stingy with the Shantae IP, but when you combine it with the Jammies mode dialog, Wayforward going radio silent when it comes to Smash despite the fact that they MADE the #ShantaeforSmash hashtag, then Shovel Knight getting in as an AT showing us indies isn't a pipe dream anymore it just

View attachment 165589
it really makes you think, you know?

I think Shantae is in the game in SOME capacity but whether or not she's an AT is yet to be seen, but like if she were an AT wouldn't it make sense to show her next to Shovel Knight? Just tear off the bandaids all at once? I don't know, am I getting too tinfoil hat here? There's too many stacked up instances that would mean nothing on their own, all happening at once.
Thats exactly the mentality we should have. The silence at Yacht gaming and the same silence for Shantae just tells us she's in the game. We just don't know how. She could be a trophy, or an assist, or a fighter.

I DID hear rumors that Matt said he didn't want Shantae in the game if she came out as an assist trophy, but I could be wrong. If this is true, we do have the right to assume that Shantae can't be an AT.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's not you, it's people in this thread being too emotional for stupid reasons.

Call me mean if you wish, I really don't care but I'm not gonna think selfishly and join the ******** and moaning all over this thread. You'd think someone recovering from an illness would make some light of this place but we're right back where we started. Funny thing is that we want to bash on the haters yet we're giving them reasons why we don't deserve Shantae in Smash Bros Ultimate.

But if it makes you happy, I won't think twice of leaving this thread for good. I'll even call Yellowbird to remove me from the supporter list. I want Shantae but I'd rather not be a hypocrite for saying SmashFAQs is bad when this thread isn't exactly being the model fanbase. At least the FAQs trolls aren't so thin-skinned and witch hunt their own.
It's all good Nuke. I don't think of you that way. I recognize some things about you that I can understand, and I don't hold you personal for triggering someone. I think we're all responsible for how we take things and respond.

Automatically reacting from hate is the problem. We all have love in our hearts, so we're all capable of transforming our reaction so that we include the best of ourselves when we talk to others. Not just people but also how we react to information, including leaks, is a testament to where we are emotionally, and if it takes for us a bit of bickering to realize that we can find better ways of taking stuff as well as how we transform our emotions into expressions, then I'm not worried about this phase of things, I'm going to talk more from my heart, and I don't expect others to do so, but simply to do my part in what we create together here.

:)

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Going beyond her possible place in Smash, how would you feel if, as part of being in the game, Nintendo and Wayforward got a stronger relationship and Nintendo decided to Bayonetta 2 a new Shantae game? Funding it while making it exclusive to the Switch?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah, but even before that direct they were neck and neck in popularity, which is why it doesn’t make much sense to have not shown her at the same time... unless a bigger role is planned here. But that’s just a theory... a GAME THEORY!
Does Shantae's world actually take place in the far off future of a post apocalyptic version of OUR WORLD

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Going beyond her possible place in Smash, how would you feel if, as part of being in the game, Nintendo and Wayforward got a stronger relationship and Nintendo decided to Bayonetta 2 a new Shantae game? Funding it while making it exclusive to the Switch?
That'd be pretty cool, Wayforward are huge Nintendo fanboys so if Ninty handed them a fat check it'd be bye-bye steam release. Shantae games have always debuted on Nintendo anyway, the only exception being HGH and that's because it was crowdfunded.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I would personally be so into it. Especially if it had amiibo support that would either give her Nintendo themed costumes it Nintendo transformations.

Imagine scanning a Yoshi amiibo and Shantae turns into a purple Yoshi with a ponytail.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

Thats exactly the mentality we should have. The silence at Yacht gaming and the same silence for Shantae just tells us she's in the game. We just don't know how. She could be a trophy, or an assist, or a fighter.

I DID hear rumors that Matt said he didn't want Shantae in the game if she came out as an assist trophy, but I could be wrong. If this is true, we do have the right to assume that Shantae can't be an AT.
While I could understand Matt not liking her being an AT like me and a lot of people on this thread it would be asinine to deny Shantae the opportunity to just be in the game. But again, we know for certain Shantae's in the game, we just don't know her chances of being represented as a trophy, an AT, or a Fighter.

Oh dear God if Shantae was funded by Nintendo ala Bayonetta 2, that would be so ****ing awesome! Though would this make WF more second party rather than third party?

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I would personally be so into it. Especially if it had amiibo support that would either give her Nintendo themed costumes it Nintendo transformations.

Imagine scanning a Yoshi amiibo and Shantae turns into a purple Yoshi with a ponytail.
Shantae + Nintendo Financial Support = Happy Stephen

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

I sure hope that, if she can't make it as a Smash fighter, we can get her in something like Blade Strangers as a consolation prize. Either way, the more Shantae, the better!

D

Deleted member

Look i know we’ve talked about this before and you might doubt me but there’s a good reason why daisy would be hip bumping her

Just look at it

Press x to doubt

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I sure hope that, if she can't make it as a Smash fighter, we can get her in something like Blade Strangers as a consolation prize. Either way, the more Shantae, the better!
Shantae would look amazing in The Blade Strangers' style, which is the main reason why I can't understand Wayforward not wanting her in the game. I could see them saying no to a bad game of one that looked cheap, but keeping her out of something so high profile makes no sense unless they had something better on the horizon that too precedence.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Look i know we’ve talked about this before and you might doubt me but there’s a good reason why daisy would be hip bumping her

Just look at it

Press x to doubt
I dunno, I remember back before Ashely got deconfirmed people thought she would be reading next to Robin. Actually I think every single guess at what a character would be doing on the mural has been totally off base, Is it not too hard to think Daisy is just hip bumping the air?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I dunno, I remember back before Ashely got deconfirmed people thought she would be reading next to Robin. Actually I think every single guess at what a character would be doing on the mural has been totally off base, Is it not too hard to think Daisy is just hip bumping the air?
The thing is that the person there was Chrom. The basic idea was there, just the wrong character.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

If we could find where and when he said that, it would be a huge development. It wouldn't prove anything, he could have just changed his mind, but it would boost her odds. Because, IF she IS an assist trophy it would be her first Non-playable guest appearance. While WF doesn't seem too picky about Shantae's appearances it does seem like they atleast want her playable in some capacity.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I just thought about how if Shantae was disconfirmed, all the people who said she couldn't be playable and that Indies don't deserve/ can't get a spot would be right. It'll be great if Shantae proves them wrong

Top Bottom