• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
The smaller font for the second part made me think of Agitha when you try to leave even tho you still have more bugs you haven't given her.
It's 2AM for me, but hey I can ****tily photoshop that.
I couldn't find the exact image where she calls you out on having bugs, so this one will have to do.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
You're still welcome on here, man! We're quite a bit frenzied about hoping that she'll make into Smash Bros, so we're semi-blind to viable options. ^^;
Though it'd help if we didn't snort our own conspiracy theories
Hey, if snorting conspiracy theories is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I'm glad we're back to being mostly positive here tho, it's nice! Also when it comes to people hating on Shantae for dumb reasons, i find it best to imagine their comments are being read out in a silly voice like how Jim Sterling talks in his Commentocracy videos.
Also back to seeing new leaks and bein like "Well well well, another fake leak" because there are way too many leaks this smash cycle.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Oh I'm glad speculation is back in here ! Gives me something to read ( since I have no relevant point to make atm xD ).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Guys, Bandana Dee, Geno and the others are getting deconfirmed by this "music theory"
I'm scared that she might get deconfirmed next
No need to worry becuase A. Dark Samus disporved that theory by her/itself and B. the only way said theory would disconfirm Shantae would be if Shantae music went up with a mucical note icon instead of a series one.

And good to see you again Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, i hated that Cloud got in, he was the only DLC fighter that I didn't buy.

Not only had he never been playable in a Nintendo game (yes in some games characters dressed like him and one of the KH games had a card of him, but he was never playable) But he also symbolizes the moment that Square and FF turned their backs on Nintendo.
Sonic's main claim to fame was being the mascot that tried to bring Nintendo down.

FFVII would not have jumped ship if Nintendo didn't back out of their deal with Sony for the CD add-on.

When you're covering your history you can't just ignore the bad parts. Also Cloud's popularity trumps any of that to be honest.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not to mention Cloud is coming to switch so that problem will be solved soon.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I always kinda saw Cloud getting in as a way to bury that old hatchet. and as meleebrawler meleebrawler said, Cloud was way to popular to be ignored, and is probably the most iconic FF character of all time. Also, how ironic that the Nintendo system that finally gets FF7, the game that left Nintendo because they would not rid of cartridges for DVD's, is the system that ditched DVD's for game card's.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Sonic's main claim to fame was being the mascot that tried to bring Nintendo down.

FFVII would not have jumped ship if Nintendo didn't back out of their deal with Sony for the CD add-on.

When you're covering your history you can't just ignore the bad parts. Also Cloud's popularity trumps any of that to be honest.
I wasn't "ignoring the bad parts"

The cd add on wouldn't have worked. Nintendo saw how well add on's were treating Sega. And when they tried the Disk Drive it still failed, it wasn't because they didn't use the one Sony had worked on with them, it's because any add on to any system was going to be met with poor reception. People didn't want to have to upgrade the systems because it wasn't really a thing at that pointand any new step is always met with resistance.

The reason the PlayStation worked when it went it's own way was for two reasons: Sega was losing grounds as the Nintendo rival and Sony was able to step in to snag that position, and because it was it's own system, not an upgrade to a system audience already bought. Buying something completely new wasn't seen as so bothersome because it was expected that a new product wouldn't be free.

Besides, if that was "the reason" FF left Nintendo, then they could have come back after the 64. They didn't come back when the Gamecube was around and had very competitive hardware for playing games.

Regardless of why they left, they still left and didn't come back until just recently (or rather will in the near future) and Cloud was the figure head it all happened under.

I'm not boycotting the character, and obviously my opinion matters only so much as he is in the game regardless, I'm only stating that when he was added, he didn't deserve it.

As for Sonic, he did deserve it. I'm not even a Sonic fan, but you can;t deny he is a huge part of Nintendo history, his rivalry with Mario was built into his very design (developers decided he should be blue to counter act Mario's red and that he should have plenty of points to offset the very rounded shapes of mario's design)

But not only was he a Rival, when Sega dropped out of the console race the Sonic games immediately came over to Nintendo. After the mainline games started coming to Nintendo, they started doing crossover games. Sonic had transitioned from a bitter rival to Mario to a friendly rivalry (not unlike how all the antagonists in Sonic games eventually become good guys like Knuckles and Shadow and such)

So, Sonic by his inception was built into Nintendo History and then eventually earned a right to be celebrated for in in Nintendo games.

Cloud didn't earn that when he was included and only now is Square fulfilling on it. If you like him and like playing as him in Smash, that is fine, but him being in a game that is meant to be a celebration of all things Nintendo was completely unfounded and is only now being rectified years later.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wasn't "ignoring the bad parts"

The cd add on wouldn't have worked. Nintendo saw how well add on's were treating Sega. And when they tried the Disk Drive it still failed, it wasn't because they didn't use the one Sony had worked on with them, it's because any add on to any system was going to be met with poor reception. People didn't want to have to upgrade the systems because it wasn't really a thing at that pointand any new step is always met with resistance.

The reason the PlayStation worked when it went it's own way was for two reasons: Sega was losing grounds as the Nintendo rival and Sony was able to step in to snag that position, and because it was it's own system, not an upgrade to a system audience already bought. Buying something completely new wasn't seen as so bothersome because it was expected that a new product wouldn't be free.

Besides, if that was "the reason" FF left Nintendo, then they could have come back after the 64. They didn't come back when the Gamecube was around and had very competitive hardware for playing games.

Regardless of why they left, they still left and didn't come back until just recently (or rather will in the near future) and Cloud was the figure head it all happened under.

I'm not boycotting the character, and obviously my opinion matters only so much as he is in the game regardless, I'm only stating that when he was added, he didn't deserve it.

As for Sonic, he did deserve it. I'm not even a Sonic fan, but you can;t deny he is a huge part of Nintendo history, his rivalry with Mario was built into his very design (developers decided he should be blue to counter act Mario's red and that he should have plenty of points to offset the very rounded shapes of mario's design)

But not only was he a Rival, when Sega dropped out of the console race the Sonic games immediately came over to Nintendo. After the mainline games started coming to Nintendo, they started doing crossover games. Sonic had transitioned from a bitter rival to Mario to a friendly rivalry (not unlike how all the antagonists in Sonic games eventually become good guys like Knuckles and Shadow and such)

So, Sonic by his inception was built into Nintendo History and then eventually earned a right to be celebrated for in in Nintendo games.

Cloud didn't earn that when he was included and only now is Square fulfilling on it. If you like him and like playing as him in Smash, that is fine, but him being in a game that is meant to be a celebration of all things Nintendo was completely unfounded and is only now being rectified years later.
Keep in mind, Sakurai is the person who once said that console wars are very dumb, so I don't think Nintendo history is everything, even down to how deserving they are. And even so, Cloud may have never been on Nintendo before then, but the story behind him is still the story of Square and Nintendo's divorce, and thus Nintendo history. Like I said before, I always thought Cloud being in Smash meant something new was on the horizon for Nintendo and Square's relationship, and that last direct told me that thought process was a resounding "Yes!"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would you support Amy Rose for smash? I'd prefer her over Shadow personally.

I dunno, Maybe we should swap art in PMs? I'm going to bed for now, but maybe tomorrow.
While I would want Blaze a lot more (and as unique), I can settle for Amy. Plus we could use another regular hammer user.

In the meantime, Tails and Dr. Eggman ought to get in here though. With any luck we might get a DLC package deal that finally opens up people's closed minds about perceived third party amount limitations.

nothing is certain just yet

so unfortunately Yellowlord Yellowlord probably not

by im doing well i meant mood wise
Oh, good morning and welcome back! If things go south, at least you'll remain happy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At this point I want Crash Bandicoot in so we've got all the main players of the 90's console wars in. ^_^

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Too bad Bonk is pretty low on the request totem pole...
Well he's owned by Konami now IIRC so he's gotta compete against a lot of characters including Frogger and Sparkster (aka Rocket Knight).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Keep in mind, Sakurai is the person who once said that console wars are very dumb, so I don't think Nintendo history is everything, even down to how deserving they are. And even so, Cloud may have never been on Nintendo before then, but the story behind him is still the story of Square and Nintendo's divorce, and thus Nintendo history. Like I said before, I always thought Cloud being in Smash meant something new was on the horizon for Nintendo and Square's relationship, and that last direct told me that thought process was a resounding "Yes!"
Yes, Cloud getting in Smash was an olive branch, sure. But for me the Olive branch ought have been made first, FF7 should have made it onto a Nintendo console in some form, and THEN Cloud could have been invited to Smash.

The way they did it it would have been like Bayonetta getting into Smash and then years later and on the next console Bayonetta 1 made it to Nintendo and Bayo 2 never happened. People would have said it was stupid and undeserving. The only reason people didn't mind with Cloud was because people love FF7 more than they care about if he really deserved it.

He is an important character, but he isn't and important to Nintendo character. Not yet anyway.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yes, Cloud getting in Smash was an olive branch, sure. But for me the Olive branch ought have been made first, FF7 should have made it onto a Nintendo console in some form, and THEN Cloud could have been invited to Smash.

The way they did it it would have been like Bayonetta getting into Smash and then years later and on the next console Bayonetta 1 made it to Nintendo and Bayo 2 never happened. People would have said it was stupid and undeserving. The only reason people didn't mind with Cloud was because people love FF7 more than they care about if he really deserved it.

He is an important character, but he isn't and important to Nintendo character. Not yet anyway.
Maybe he is deserving because people like him? I don't think third parties should be so limited, and if the character has people who like and want them, then they should be in. That's also kind of ignoring the revolutionary thing FF7 did to the industry, so there's that. And I mean, there are plenty out there who have said Shantae is not deserving for so many reasons, be it her indie status, her less iconic nature, or even arguing that her history with Nintendo is not as much as we say it is. I just don't think judging characters on things like that means little, especially if Sakurai clearly see's them as worthy characters for the roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That is true, not to mention Goemon.

If we're talking main players of the 90's, SNK's Terry and Kyo are a must.
Especially considering we've got Ryu.

Maybe we can have a Capcom vs SNK thing that's not 49% Street Fighter and 49% KOF.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Maybe he is deserving because people like him? I don't think third parties should be so limited, and if the character has people who like and want them, then they should be in. That's also kind of ignoring the revolutionary thing FF7 did to the industry, so there's that. And I mean, there are plenty out there who have said Shantae is not deserving for so many reasons, be it her indie status, her less iconic nature, or even arguing that her history with Nintendo is not as much as we say it is. I just don't think judging characters on things like that means little, especially if Sakurai clearly see's them as worthy characters for the roster.
As i said early, my opinion only means so much as it has not prevented him from being in the game or prevented others from likeing him in the game. But I will never like him in the game, which is all I'm really saying.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Short of not liking the character full stop or not being a video game character, I find most arguments against joining Smash silly. A lot of times letting them happen is the only chance they at changing people's minds about the character.

D

Deleted member

I had a theory....the reason verge said no new dk newcomers is that Nintendo gave him that false info so he doesn’t ruin the surprise until revealed....and since he hasn't mentioned shantae it would seem like she is another surprise fighter just like k rool and wf nda is pretty effective. Anybody with me?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Since we are changing avatars and all. So I decided to use this newly found artwork for Link(GT).

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I had a theory....the reason verge said no new dk newcomers is that Nintendo gave him that false info so he doesn’t ruin the surprise until revealed....and since he hasn't mentioned shantae it would seem like she is another surprise fighter just like k rool and wf nda is pretty effective. Anybody with me?
When did he say that there was no DK rep? Before or after he brought up Isabelle?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Here are some of the new renders found yesterday for the alts of some of the characters beginning with the one I am using Link(GT).

Will post one at a time. Just think of how good Shantae will look with these amount of details.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Character Art Link(GT).jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
>steve
>vault boy

Fake as rubbish. A N Y O N E C A N M A K E A F A K E L E A K .
My thoughts exactly. Steve "could" happen. I would personally hate it because i don't like personality-less avatars being in the game and considering how Sakurai likes to stay true to the character that would mean Steve would move around with his unbending limbs like they do in the actual game.

Vault Boy on the other hand, no chance. At all. He's not even a character in the Fallout games, just propaganda.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
That leak got the recently confirmed number of stages right! That's why I think there's some credibility in it. However, Shantae being an AT while Sable Prince, a character she would've most likely replaced in this situation, is STILL listed. Also, Vault Boy lines up with Bethesda's recent statement regarding Smash, and Steve is lining up "somewhat" with Vergeben's claims about Minecraft having playable representation.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That leak got the recently confirmed number of stages right! That's why I think there's some credibility in it. However, Shantae being an AT while Sable Prince, a character she would've most likely replaced in this situation, is STILL listed. Also, Vault Boy lines up with Bethesda's recent statement regarding Smash, and Steve is lining up "somewhat" with Vergeben's claims about Minecraft having playable representation.
Well anyone could have looked at the stage selection screen back in the august direct and guess 5 more stages with a DLC button.

D

Deleted member

Well anyone could have looked at the stage selection screen back in the august direct and guess 5 more stages with a DLC button.
This is why I hate fake leaks with shantae as an assist another example of gamefaqs hate

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Rubbish is right. So many things still don't line up.
-Why would they not reveal Shantae with Shovel knight
-Why would WF still be so silent and ignore everything related to smash. It seems a little to extreme to act this way for an assist trophy.
-Why would they put all of those subtle hints in Jammies mode?

I don't buy it. Something is up.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, nah, Vault Boy is not gonna be in Smash as a player character.
I could buy Doomguy, or even Dovahkiin, but Vault Boy is a little too much, sorry. He doesn't really play a big role in his game apart from menu icons, and the only Bethesda Fallout that's been on a Nintendo console is Shelter :/

But! BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT! I'd be super happy to have him as a trophy! It makes complete sense, a trophy is pretty much just a Fallout Bobblehead.

Last edited:

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
Last edited:
Top Bottom