• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

The music theory is that since every franchise, which has one song on the website, that has a newcomer has had their songs saved for when their (non-echo) newcomer is revealed. Mario's and Kirby's were shown off already. I don't think this can go to deconfirm her, since she's a new franchise. However, since Pokemon wasn't shown yet, this gives more backing to Incineroar, which gives backing to the box theory, so yes. Even if it can't directly deconfim her, I'm scared of it.
Ok enough with the f***ing box theory it’s debuked dude chill she’s going to be a fighter chill!!!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I also heard that the Creator's of the WarioWare and Pokemon series are fans of the Shantae series. Has this been confirmed true?
The latter could be true but Ko Takeuchi does fanart of virtually everything. It seems more likely that he was just doing a request for the character and wasn't just making a fanart of her because he's a genuine fan.

Though hey, it could just be that he has a super wide range of interests and it was just him being a fan.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I also heard that the Creator's of the WarioWare and Pokemon series are fans of the Shantae series. Has this been confirmed true?
The tweets were posted. Ken Sugimori likes her boobs (to be fair, I'm being hyperbolic here) and Ko drew Shantae Fanart.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Okay, let's calm the Hell down about Karate Man. As much as the picture of him in purple and yellow seems scary, he's far more often than not just pure white. Only in Remix 7 of Rhythm Heaven Remix does Joe don the outfit with sunglasses. Finally, the pose he's in is a stock Japanese Lazy Man pose. I don't know about the "rabbit ear antennae" one, truth be told, but it could just be a coincidence.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I linked those earlier. Should be on page 239.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Never mind that Nintendo has been pushing Inides to the point where I someone at Nintendo said that Inides are Important enough for Nintendo to need them "stand alongside a massive open world Hyrule adventure or an odyssey-hopping Power Moon chase" and I even recall someone else (don't remember who) saying that Inides are just as important as first-party games. Heaven forbid they get ONE fighter in a roster of 70+ AAA titans. I'd rather have Goku. He may be an anime character, but at least he's AAA Anime! What filth! No wonder she dances for money! She's nothing but a beggar like all her indie friends! She should go back to the street where she lives while I go and support Sans and Steve!

(Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...o-nintendo-switchs-current-and-future-success)
I mean during the worst of the Wii U era, Nintendo finally getting some of the indie big hits like Minecraft and Don't Starve really helped them along.

And Indies have blown up on the Switch eshop, most developers saying their switch sales outperform even sales on Steam. Plus with how barren this year has been with first party titles, Indies have really kept the Switch going this year.

If you have any more evidence of Shantae's Japanese following please PM me, I need more evidence for my Shantae video.

That goes for anyone. Any Japanese polls, fan sites, weird art (hopefully not too weird), send it to me I need more evidence.

Did I tell you about the Shantae Fan Art made by the art designer of the Wario Ware games? I mean it just means one guy is a fan of her's but it a man who works for Nintendo which at least is another piece of proof that they know who she is and she has Japanese fans.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
Ok enough with the f***ing box theory it’s debuked dude chill she’s going to be a fighter chill!!!
As far as I can tell the box theory isn't debunked but it's not confirmed either. There's no way to know for sure but is definitely scary. Hopefully it goes away soon.

Unrelated but I'm pretty sure Leaky Pandy's full of crap. Don't know why people started listening to him all of a sudden, he's basically just doing the same thing as all these other "leaks" like the Neogaf one that gave people little clues that seem like they can be figured out but really they're just vague enough to let him claim later that he had info. It looks to me like he's just playing games and he's got all these people on his twitter and he just feeds them cryptic hints.

I'm totally open to being proven wrong but that all just wreaks of BS to me

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
It is a legit one, at least. If it were a repro, that would have a colored shell.
Not kidding here, it's actually pretty amazing to see a photograph of a cart surviving into the present day. Though I do have my doubts if it's still operable in a GBA/GBC or not due to the GBC's battery, I think?

Jesus, i hope they know how much it is worth before selling it to some kid or something
The store people know how rare this cart is, so they won't just sell it for $40, they'll go the pretty penny prices of around $399. A bit of a drastic jump, but a jump nonetheless.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not kidding here, it's actually pretty amazing to see a photograph of a cart surviving into the present day. Though I do have my doubts if it's still operable in a GBA/GBC or not due to the GBC's battery, I think?
I think the only thing affected in a cart with battery is whether you can save. If not, hope you like speedrunning.

As far as I can tell the box theory isn't debunked but it's not confirmed either. There's no way to know for sure but is definitely scary. Hopefully it goes away soon.

Unrelated but I'm pretty sure Leaky Pandy's full of crap. Don't know why people started listening to him all of a sudden, he's basically just doing the same thing as all these other "leaks" like the Neogaf one that gave people little clues that seem like they can be figured out but really they're just vague enough to let him claim later that he had info. It looks to me like he's just playing games and he's got all these people on his twitter and he just feeds them cryptic hints.

I'm totally open to being proven wrong but that all just wreaks of BS to me
Truly a case of Schrodinger's Box if there ever was one. Incineroar being the proverbial cat in it, obviously.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
By the way. I was perusing the Nintendo ESHOP and noticed that Shantae was in the Indie Section but Minecraft was not. Which confirms that Nintendo probably considers Shantae Indie but not Minecraft. I've constantly heard people try to claim that Shantae isn't Indie and Minecraft is Indie. Both claims seem utterly ridiculous to me.

But I did see Rune Factory 4 in the indie section which surprised me. I've never considered Rune Factory Indie it seemed more like a AA game series rather than Indie. Which shows Nintendo is using a Broad definition of Indie but not TOO broad.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, I'm finally settling more.
I'm going to start being back a bit more on the forum. ( gaming wise)

Did I miss any interesting news? I skimmed and saw about the music theory. That's all I know for now :p

(where'd everybody go today? :O)

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
By the way. I was perusing the Nintendo ESHOP and noticed that Shantae was in the Indie Section but Minecraft was not. Which confirms that Nintendo probably considers Shantae Indie but not Minecraft. I've constantly heard people try to claim that Shantae isn't Indie and Minecraft is Indie. Both claims seem utterly ridiculous to me.

But I did see Rune Factory 4 in the indie section which surprised me. I've never considered Rune Factory Indie it seemed more like a AA game series rather than Indie. Which shows Nintendo is using a Broad definition of Indie but not TOO broad.
If you really wanna be technical, because Mojang, the developers of Minecraft, are now a Microsoft subsidiary instead of an independent company, Minecraft lost its title from an Indie game to a technical 1st Party game ported over to other consoles.
Wait a minute... something smells ridiculously fishy about that sentence I just said... Eh, probably nothing.

You didn't miss much here, Teeb. Just a RTC with Shantae in there and us trying to convince more people that she's not as bad as they thing to mixed results.

Last edited:

Shark X

Smash Lord
Well I never considered Harvest Moon indie in the past, but their games have looked like utter crap for the past few games, so they may as well be considered indie now...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well I never considered Harvest Moon indie in the past, but their games have looked like utter crap for the past few games, so they may as well be considered indie now...
I mean, there's been such an utter civil war that the former devs (if I recall correctly) went on to do Story of Seasons as an alternative. Then there's Stardew Valley, which is an ACTUAL indie equivalent to Harvest Moon, to complicate things further.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you already know this but There are actually two harvest moon series now. The Natsume ones and the Xseed ones(under the name Story of Seasons). The Xseed ones are the Real ones made by the people who made the original games.

The situation used to be that Marvelous made the Harvest Moon games and Natsume would merely translate and publish them. Marvelous later decided to dump Natsume and leave publishing to Xseed. But due to legal reasons, Natsume got to keep the harvest moon trademark. So Natsume decided to create their own generic farming sim and slap the Harvest Moon name on them leaving alot of casual consumers thinking they were the same series,

So the "Harvest Moon" games you are thinking of are probably the Natsume ones. Story of Seasons is the real Harvest moon series just with a different name.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Are you saying that you're expecting a Dragon Quest rep because of the leak or do you actually think it's a possibility, (because I looked at Leaky's posts, and it doesn't look like the 2 are connected)? At the very most, they could've run out of time for Geno and made him DLC. Even if there is a DLC character, I only expect a name and/or model shown off for the actual reveal. Definitely not a full gameplay sequence.

I feel that all this talk about the Square rep being DLC is kind of getting close to Box Theory territory, and that scares me, because I believe Shantae is in the base game in some capacity, because otherwise there'd be no reason for WF ignoring all Smash-related posts. So the problem is, if she's not a fighter in the base game, she can't be DLC, because she's gonna be stuck as an Assist Trophy. So Box Theory = only Incineroar and Ken = Shantae not in base roster. Shantae not in base roster + WF NDA = Assist Trophy = no chance for DLC = Game Over. (Sorry if I sound pessimistic again)
yeah. You don't sound pessimistic, it's your reality. Didn't you "jump ship" like a week ago? You don't believe she's going to be in anyway, correct? Don't apologize for your opinion because no one is going to apologize for what they say. You can still support a character and not believe they'll make it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Are you saying that you're expecting a Dragon Quest rep because of the leak or do you actually think it's a possibility, (because I looked at Leaky's posts, and it doesn't look like the 2 are connected)? At the very most, they could've run out of time for Geno and made him DLC. Even if there is a DLC character, I only expect a name and/or model shown off for the actual reveal. Definitely not a full gameplay sequence.

I feel that all this talk about the Square rep being DLC is kind of getting close to Box Theory territory, and that scares me, because I believe Shantae is in the base game in some capacity, because otherwise there'd be no reason for WF ignoring all Smash-related posts. So the problem is, if she's not a fighter in the base game, she can't be DLC, because she's gonna be stuck as an Assist Trophy. So Box Theory = only Incineroar and Ken = Shantae not in base roster. Shantae not in base roster + WF NDA = Assist Trophy = no chance for DLC = Game Over. (Sorry if I sound pessimistic again)
no I've been expecting a DQ character for weeks now. it is super popular and a landmark series, perfect for a smash rep. surprised cloud was before slime honestly

Unfortunately, The chairs COULD be refering to another very likely character other than Shantae, Skull Kid and Rayman.

https://i.imgtc.com/gPt5UVq.png
lol it could, but will it?

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Well, I'm finally settling more.
I'm going to start being back a bit more on the forum. ( gaming wise)

Did I miss any interesting news? I skimmed and saw about the music theory. That's all I know for now :p

(where'd everybody go today? :O)
Teeb, can you give me that old isabelle pic you used?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The last few "harvest Moon" games aren't really Harvest Moon.

You see the original games were published by Natsume in the West. They came up with the name Harvest Moon. A few year back tho, the game developer parted ways with Natsume, but Natsume technically owned the name Harvest Moon. So the original series had to change it's western name (now going by Story of Seasons) and Natsume started making cheap clone games and releasing them under the "Harvest Moon" title to rick people into thinking it's good.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Oh okay. I don't mean to grill you but do you know if that's atleast a fairly common Antenna setup in Japan?
Would you support Amy Rose for smash? I'd prefer her over Shadow personally.

Haha sure, I have a ton of other isabelle pics too. Let me know if you want more.. though I dunno how'd I show you which ones I have :/
And some shantae ones too :)
I dunno, Maybe we should swap art in PMs? I'm going to bed for now, but maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
The last few "harvest Moon" games aren't really Harvest Moon.

You see the original games were published by Natsume in the West. They came up with the name Harvest Moon. A few year back tho, the game developer parted ways with Natsume, but Natsume technically owned the name Harvest Moon. So the original series had to change it's western name (now going by Story of Seasons) and Natsume started making cheap clone games and releasing them under the "Harvest Moon" title to rick people into thinking it's good.
Unfortunately, it's working to a Degree...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Haha sure, I have a ton of other isabelle pics too. Let me know if you want more.. though I dunno how'd I show you which ones I have :/

View attachment 165425

And some shantae ones too :)
That's so cute. I'm kind of disappointed with her alt costumes in Smash. she has so many cute outfits in the game and they just recolor her Spring and fall clothes. I was really hoping for her festival kimono.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's so cute. I'm kind of disappointed with her alt costumes in Smash. she has so many cute outfits in the game and they just recolor her Spring and fall clothes. I was really hoping for her festival kimono.
Yeeh, I reaallyy wish they'd add some other outfits. Maybe they will, unless we can see all the alts?

Another thing I was thinking about; dlc skins.

Top Bottom