• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Two of the recurring antagonists in Shantae remind me a lot of Nintendo's. Ammo Baron is a lot like Bowser in that he possesses strong military might, whose members serve out of genuine loyalty and great charisma on his part. And I dare you to tell me that the second area of Cape Crustacean doesn't remind you of Mario's airship levels in any way.

Techno Baron on the other hand, along with his Techno Grunts are much like K. Rool and his Kremlings. Both having access to sophisticated technology and the crocodile aesthetic speaking for itself. Area 3 of Mermaid Falls even plays much like a Donkey Kong minecart level.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I think that out of all the anti-Shantae arguments out there, "I don't want any indies" has to be the single most selfish one. These people would sooner see an EA character than any indie because to them, they "deserve it more." Never mind all the extra work and effort that needs to be put into indies to be marketed at all. Never mind that indie devs actually look at their fans as people instead of walking wallets. No, clearly only triple A games deserve to be in the spotlight. ONLY big titles are allowed in the biggest celebration of gaming of all time that is Smash.

How dare we support such inferior things as independents? We can't let the RABBLE into Smashbros, they are sooooo DIRTY.

Makes me sick.
Never mind that Nintendo has been pushing Inides to the point where I someone at Nintendo said that Inides are Important enough for Nintendo to need them "stand alongside a massive open world Hyrule adventure or an odyssey-hopping Power Moon chase" and I even recall someone else (don't remember who) saying that Inides are just as important as first-party games. Heaven forbid they get ONE fighter in a roster of 70+ AAA titans. I'd rather have Goku. He may be an anime character, but at least he's AAA Anime! What filth! No wonder she dances for money! She's nothing but a beggar like all her indie friends! She should go back to the street where she lives while I go and support Sans and Steve!

(Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...o-nintendo-switchs-current-and-future-success)

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of antagonists, if Shantae got in and had some representation in the Spirits mode with a boss, who would you hope it'd be?
There's bigger antagonists, but I can't help but hope it'd be Squid Baron. Though he may be too much of a joke compared to the real antagonists.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Speaking of antagonists, if Shantae got in and had some representation in the Spirits mode with a boss, who would you hope it'd be?
There's bigger antagonists, but I can't help but hope it'd be Squid Baron. Though he may be too much of a joke compared to the real antagonists.
Risky Boots for sure. Nobody else makes as much sense.

Fighting an entire pirate ship.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
With current leaks pointing towards a Dragon Quest 11 character in Smash, I think Jade's actually going to be our Purple haired girl character

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What leaks might those be exactly?
LeakyPandy's latest tweet says the DLC for Smash is being revealed at the VGA's and the character is from the "Best of" catergory.

And with Verg saying the 3 characters he knows about are SE, Incineroar, and Ken

It's probably a SE game that came out this year - Dragon Quest 11

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope it'd be Dagron.. just so Smash Bros of all games has a Homestar Runner reference.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
LeakyPandy's latest tweet says the DLC for Smash is being revealed at the VGA's and the character is from the "Best of" catergory.

And with Verg saying the 3 characters he knows about are SE, Incineroar, and Ken

Can you post the exact tweet?

It could be Lara Croft for all I know right now.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice

I don't get why so many leaks claim to know DLC. Sakurai flat out said he doesn't think of DLC till the game is done. Mewtwo was only announced during the 50 Fact Extravaganza, which happened AFTER Smash for 3DS came out.
I don't think we'll get any DLC news till right before release if at all before the game comes out.

Man I love Ko's style. One thing I was looking forward to when Ashley was being speculated was a possible 2D animated trailer with Smash characters all done in his style.
We haven't had any super stylistic trailers besides Isabelle's being in the look of Animal Crossing so far.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I'm not even going to bother with RTC. As if our opinions and ratings could effect her chances or others' perception of them anyways. More power to the people who do post there, though.

What's done is already done and we're waiting to see the rest of what's in the game. We have evidence for Shantae's potential inclusion that could mean everything or nothing.

If she really is in the game, there's going to be a ****storm from certain people regardless. I'd be lying if I said that scenario wouldn't be entertaining, though.
Actually, I would love to see the reactions of the naysayers honestly

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Personally, I'm 100% sure she's in the game. It's just a 50/50 toss up whether she's a fighter or an assist. She DESERVES the fighter spot. She'd be WASTED as an assist. But it would still be repping our half genie hero.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

What does "best of" category mean?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Best of "what"? that such a dumb way to phrase a "leak"

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man, I just want more magic users in Smash. For how many brawlers, swordsmen and psychics there are, we only really got like 6 real magic users.
  1. Zelda - Goddess magic
  2. Palutena - Goddess magic
  3. Rosalina - Space Goddess magic
  4. Robin - Elemental tomes
  5. Ganondorf - Dark magic basically all being "i cast fist/foot"
  6. Bayonetta - Bayonetta
Shantae would give us more elemental magic as well as her transforming magic. Same reason I want Medusa and Skull Kid: they give us more magic users doing magic that isn't sparkly or the basic elements
If we also get Medusa as an echo thats dark magic too

As for this DQ11 DLC for smash. I can easily see it. As I've said in the past, DQ is super huge in japan and is a huge part of gaming history. it would be nuts not to have a rep in the game.

That being said, if that is DLC for this game, then Geno is probably in the base game. Don't expect only 2 characters guys, that box theory is bogus.

Early DLC for this game that makes sense is Rex and Pyra, Dragon quest, ARMS, and Rayman

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
If we also get Medusa as an echo thats dark magic too

As for this DQ11 DLC for smash. I can easily see it. As I've said in the past, DQ is super huge in japan and is a huge part of gaming history. it would be nuts not to have a rep in the game.

That being said, if that is DLC for this game, then Geno is probably in the base game. Don't expect only 2 characters guys, that box theory is bogus.

Early DLC for this game that makes sense is Rex and Pyra, Dragon quest, ARMS, and Rayman
It doesn't really make sense for them to add another Square Rep that isn't Geno before Geno. He's wanted by both Sakurai and Fans, which is an edge no other characters have.

And also, Vergeben leaked the Square Enix Rep in August. I would think development would still be in the bug fixing phase more than 3 months before release; long before any DLC would be discussed.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
If you have any more evidence of Shantae's Japanese following please PM me, I need more evidence for my Shantae video.

That goes for anyone. Any Japanese polls, fan sites, weird art (hopefully not too weird), send it to me I need more evidence.
I don't have much in the way of additional evidence. There is a decent amount of Shantae fan art on pixiv (enough that even a PM wouldn't be enough).
Edit: Various booru sites might help with links.

A Shantae discord did link this:
https://youtu.be/PyzdgsPLEV8

As for "weird" stuff... There was that one crossover fan art with Monster Girl Encyclopedia's Pharaoh and Aphophis as Shantae and Risky Boots. Naturally NSFW.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
It doesn't really make sense for them to add another Square Rep that isn't Geno before Geno. He's wanted by both Sakurai and Fans, which is an edge no other characters have.
I know Sakurai wants him and Geno has a lot of fan support behind him, but if I'm being completely honest here I'd prefer Sora as the SE rep (and yes I know that's a tall order to accomplish).

zferolie

Smash Hero

And also, Vergeben leaked the Square Enix Rep in August. I would think development would still be in the bug fixing phase more than 3 months before release; long before any DLC would be discussed.
That too. Pretty sure geno is in base with a DQ as DLC

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I know Sakurai wants him and Geno has a lot of fan support behind him, but if I'm being completely honest here I'd prefer Sora as the SE rep (and yes I know that's a tall order to accomplish).
On the next episode of Smash Speculation: can Sakurai beat Disney's cutthroat business practices to secure Sora? Will Daisy get a dancing partner? Will we ever find what the hell Spirits is? Tune in on release date cause' I'm too lazy to make more episodes.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
That too. Pretty sure geno is in base with a DQ as DLC
Are you saying that you're expecting a Dragon Quest rep because of the leak or do you actually think it's a possibility, (because I looked at Leaky's posts, and it doesn't look like the 2 are connected)? At the very most, they could've run out of time for Geno and made him DLC. Even if there is a DLC character, I only expect a name and/or model shown off for the actual reveal. Definitely not a full gameplay sequence.

I feel that all this talk about the Square rep being DLC is kind of getting close to Box Theory territory, and that scares me, because I believe Shantae is in the base game in some capacity, because otherwise there'd be no reason for WF ignoring all Smash-related posts. So the problem is, if she's not a fighter in the base game, she can't be DLC, because she's gonna be stuck as an Assist Trophy. So Box Theory = only Incineroar and Ken = Shantae not in base roster. Shantae not in base roster + WF NDA = Assist Trophy = no chance for DLC = Game Over. (Sorry if I sound pessimistic again)

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the room. that is still improtant. I mean what other characters can it mean? I think everyone is set on skullkid as a boss, given LoZ18 vanishing and how the story mode will have bosses. The only other one is rayman on only the chairs point towards him.

I did update that post and posted it on the Newcomer disscussion thread, with pictures!
Unfortunately, The chairs COULD be refering to another very likely character other than Shantae, Skull Kid and Rayman.

https://i.imgtc.com/gPt5UVq.png

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So the problem is, if she's not a fighter in the base game, she can't be DLC, because she's gonna be stuck as an Assist Trophy. So Box Theory = only Incineroar and Ken = Shantae not in base roster. Shantae not in base roster + WF NDA = Assist Trophy = no chance for DLC = Game Over. (Sorry if I sound pessimistic again)
She could be a regular trophy.

To be honest, I feel like relegating Shantae to an AT is squandering a massive amount of potential and though her avoiding the snow globe of death doesn't guarantee she'll be in as DLC, I do think it keeps her chances on the table. Personally, if I was in Sakurai's shoes and I had a character that ticks off all of my design wants in a newcomer, is heavily requested and is easier to acquire legally than even some 1st parties (Sakurai has shown he's willing to put the work in to do the legal negotiations for difficult characters but at the same time, it being a roadblock could indicate that he would appreciate a few easier choices), that's currently relevant and fits the mold of a business strategy... She ticks too many boxes.

A character like that, even if you can't squeeze them into the base roster, is a character you would rather want to keep on the table. Even if ultimately you decide against it, I feel like it would be smart to keep her in the pocket.

I get the feeling she did super well in America too and the US is a massive audience. My crackpot theory right now is that she was the #1 in America and Bandana Dee was #1 in Japan and they'll get a special direct together revealing these facts since we already "know" that Bayonetta was #1 in Europe. I know that Shantae usually doesn't beat Shovel Knight in fan-polling here in the US but if the rumors are true that she had a massive following in more casual areas of social media (Instagram, Tumblr, etc.) then that could account for the loss of votes on those fan polls (wherein she still did really well). It's entirely possible she could have claimed the #1 spot.

Orrrr, she could be #442 for all I know. I'm just enjoying my crack theory for now.~

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Guys, Bandana Dee, Geno and the others are getting deconfirmed by this "music theory"
I'm scared that she might get deconfirmed next

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Are you saying that you're expecting a Dragon Quest rep because of the leak or do you actually think it's a possibility, (because I looked at Leaky's posts, and it doesn't look like the 2 are connected)? At the very most, they could've run out of time for Geno and made him DLC. Even if there is a DLC character, I only expect a name and/or model shown off for the actual reveal. Definitely not a full gameplay sequence.

I feel that all this talk about the Square rep being DLC is kind of getting close to Box Theory territory, and that scares me, because I believe Shantae is in the base game in some capacity, because otherwise there'd be no reason for WF ignoring all Smash-related posts. So the problem is, if she's not a fighter in the base game, she can't be DLC, because she's gonna be stuck as an Assist Trophy. So Box Theory = only Incineroar and Ken = Shantae not in base roster. Shantae not in base roster + WF NDA = Assist Trophy = no chance for DLC = Game Over. (Sorry if I sound pessimistic again)
And why can't she be DLC? In fact she's probably more likely to be DLC than on the base roster at this point. It seems like Nintendo saved their more "Risky" fighters for DLC last time with Corrin and Bayonetta. It's likely they may do so again.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
What music theory? And how is it deconfirming anyone?
When a new song from "X" franchise is added on the blog, it means that said franchise won't be getting more newcomers.
I'm not afraid of this theory deconfirming Shantae because that's impossible, but maybe by other sources it is that Shantae might be deconfirmed
I don't know, maybe i'm being too paranoid

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
What music theory? And how is it deconfirming anyone?
The music theory is that since every franchise, which has one song on the website, that has a newcomer has had their songs saved for when their (non-echo) newcomer is revealed. Mario's and Kirby's were shown off already. I don't think this can go to deconfirm her, since she's a new franchise. However, since Pokemon wasn't shown yet, this gives more backing to Incineroar, which gives backing to the box theory, so yes. Even if it can't directly deconfim her, I'm scared of it.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
When a new song from "X" franchise is added on the blog, it means that said franchise won't be getting more newcomers.
I'm not afraid of this theory deconfirming Shantae because that's impossible, but maybe by other sources it is that Shantae might be deconfirmed
I don't know, maybe i'm being too paranoid
I don't see how that could deconfirm Shantae. Shantae's series can't get a new song in the blog if she hasn't been revealed yet. This theory can be used to deconfirm Rotty Tops as a Second Shantae character but not shantae herself.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Music theory can't disconfirm Shantae.

If you have any more evidence of Shantae's Japanese following please PM me, I need more evidence for my Shantae video.

That goes for anyone. Any Japanese polls, fan sites, weird art (hopefully not too weird), send it to me I need more evidence.
Doesn't mean much in regards to Smash, but Eiji Aonuma received Ultimate Edition from James

https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/995557201820307457

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I don't see how that could deconfirm Shantae. Shantae's series can't get a new song in the blog if she hasn't been revealed yet.
See below
since Pokemon wasn't shown yet, this gives more backing to Incineroar, which gives backing to the box theory, so yes. Even if it can't directly deconfim her, I'm scared of it.

Top Bottom