• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Don't get yourself stuck in a self dug up pit and end up hard getting out.

Right now, focus on the now and forget the later.

Get stuck in something that's non-existent in the mind, It will bite you away slowly to the end.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So I'm curious: if Shantae somehow gets in, are there any other WayForward characters you'd like to see in Smash one day?

Aside from other Shantae characters I'd like to see Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force.
I even made a support thread for her back in the SSB4 days though I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in it.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie, I loved the Isabelle reveal. I always felt that Villagers should've had a fishing pole and a hammer incorporated into his moveset but now she covers that.

Also, some of the anger from the guys down at Gamefaqs makes me laugh. The fact that people are upset we have a unique moveset over another clone is mind boggling.

Anyway, hopefully Shantae gets revealed soon. I'm in agreement that she would be one of the later reveals. I'm thinking late November and maybe early December would be great. I'm one of the rare 5 people who think we'll get a small Smash direct in December before the release.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
So I'm curious: if Shantae somehow gets in, are there any other WayForward characters you'd like to see in Smash one day?

Aside from other Shantae characters I'd like to see Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force.
I even made a support thread for her back in the SSB4 days though I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in it.
I don't know of any other WF characters aside from those two, so I'm only prioritizing Shantae.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Besides Risky and the Best Friends trio (though they can wait), Patricia makes the most sense. I'd also like to see Xtreme Sports' Fin and Guppi as ATs.

Normally I would also have vouched for the Boy and his Blob, but Majesco still owns the rights to them and never reached Japan in the first place, so that's a no go.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I don't quite understand why you're making a big deal out of this. [...]
Hey, don't look at me.
It's not me making a big deal out of it, but everyone who keeps trying to tell me it's a bad thing.

I simply asked a question, got an answer and then the general vibe was "Well yeah, it's a stupid joke, nothing serious at all."
And if it remained that way, that subject would've already been dropped.

But then some people came, who actually took it seriously.
Who kept saying they don't want Shantae to be a butt-joke, feeding into that arbitrary "rule".

And I tried convincing people to abandon that thought and stop letting terrible people affect them.
But I see now that this is an act in futility.

I rather more people love Shantae for what she is than she be lumped in that stuff. It's not like we can't deal with it if it does happen, but if we care, it's normal that we'll have a few upsets about it, and some of us are sensitive, so we can't just be 100% rocksolid against all haters. I don't know anyone like that, even if some people are decent at ignoring it. Most people fight back and it ends up in stupid struggles. I'm tired of all that.
Welcome to humanity, son.
A half-civilized species, that attacks and destroys over meaningless things...

But yeah, I'm done.
Whatever you make from Shantae and 69 is on you.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey, don't look at me.
It's not me making a big deal out of it, but everyone who keeps trying to tell me it's a bad thing.

I simply asked a question, got an answer and then the general vibe was "Well yeah, it's a stupid joke, nothing serious at all."
And if it remained that way, that subject would've already been dropped.

But then some people came, who actually took it seriously.
Who kept saying they don't want Shantae to be a butt-joke, feeding into that arbitrary "rule".

And I tried convincing people to abandon that thought and stop letting terrible people affect them.
But I see now that this is an act in futility.

Welcome to humanity, son.
A half-civilized species, that attacks and destroys over meaningless things...

But yeah, I'm done.
Whatever you make from Shantae and 69 is on you.
Everyone has a heart.
People who care about something will get upset sometimes.
I'm just trying to explain that it does matter, even though it won't tear things down.

It's ok, really, I'm not trying to go against you or anything, just trying to explain something.
If some people take it so seriously that they're afraid of it, then yeah that's something that sucks and it'd be nice if they understood that it's not as big of a deal. We still have to understand a little bit why they feel that way to help them understand though.

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice

Honestly, aside from Shantae, the only other character I'd really want to see is Risky, either as a stage hazard or a boss fight.

If that happened I would have to wonder, which boss theme would they use?

HGH's?

Or Pirate's Curse?

I really can't decide which I like more

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
okay, so, genuine question.

Why is everyone being aggresive this morning (or whatever time of day)?

Are we all still reeling in from the shock of the trailer, or is bad stuff happening, or what?

EDIT: Forgot to say I'm out of the loop.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Are we all still reeling in from the shock of the trailer, or is bad stuff happening, or what?

I'm not. oO
I'm happy for Isabelle-Fans that they got their wish.
And I remain hopeful that Shantae will be revealed later.

And whatever people make out of anything, means nothing to me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

From what I can tell there's just a few people around that have maybe some tense feelings, from waiting and all that. I think things are settling, though last night was pretty bad.
Things will soften and we'll get back in our flows. I wouldn't worry about it. If some things need to be hashed out, let it be between those people and focus on what you like to talk about, well that's just my recommendation.

Nothing's 'really' changed with Shantae, and the Isabelle thread is actually going alright now.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Probably tension because haters have been exceedingly aggressive, going so far as to have Shantae fan art taken down from DeviantArt.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Probably tension because haters have been exceedingly aggressive, going so far as to have Shantae fan art taken down from DeviantArt.
is there any links to these claims btw? one of my friends is gonna make a DA journal to warn people about it, and he needs proof that people are doing this

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm getting a little sick of all this talk about Shantae and the Number 69, because it's ultimately meaningless to everyone except people who exclusively thinks in innuendos.
Another WF rep? Only one that really sticks out 'side from Risky and the Friend Trio is Patty Wagon to me.
And I think they'll take the Pirate's Curse version of the boss music, since that's the most "recognizable" version, by proxy of Pirate's Curse being the one Shantae game that's truly recognizable and HGH being a sort of second-banana, but not too far back that it's Shantae for GBC kinds of far back.

As for music if they really want to do a Shantae-inspired level for like a maze-like cavern system, this should be the theme that plays, except remixed, of course.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350

TBH, the only thing I'm annoyed about is that we have to wait several weeks with no info to talk about before the next reveal.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
TBH, the only thing I'm annoyed about is that we have to wait several weeks with no info to talk about before the next reveal.
I'm starting to not care so much about the wait, but it did take to face yesterday.
I wonder how the Isaac thread has gone soo far without that much new info. Well there's fun in support threads in general I think.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Ignore the haters. These toxic trolls have nothing better to do with their lives than harass fans of certain characters. Block the ones you see on social media and tell the others to get a life.

Speaking of leakers. loz18 deleted almost everything he said since Isabelle was released.

EDIT: Forgive me, he deleted his Twitter
That all but confirms that the guy has no credible info. He kept on hyping up Issac and Skull Kid, but since neither of them showed up, he vanishes. I'm convinced that he was simply a troll who wanted attention.

And Vergaben is so sketchy and non-committal that I have no idea why people are still treating his word as gospel. Both of them are unreliable.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Ignore the haters. These toxic trolls have nothing better to do with their lives than harass fans of certain characters. Block the ones you see on social media and tell the others to get a life.
Arguing with them is pointless. They'll always find more excuses, on top of excuses for their excuses.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe this explains a bit why people redirected some of their frustrations at other characters :p :

(it was posted by someone in the Isabelle thread.)

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
That all but confirms that the guy has no credible info. He kept on hyping up Issac and Skull Kid, but since neither of them showed up, he vanishes. I'm convinced that he was simply a troll who wanted attention.

And Vergaben is so sketchy and non-committal that I have no idea why people are still treating his word as gospel. Both of them are unreliable.

Vergeben functions much like a fortune-teller or 'psychic' does.

Seriously, just read this artice and tell me that some of those points don't just scream Vergeben

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Eh... I've gotten more optimistic over time, not less.

If she's in as just an AT, millions of people will learn who she is, her series will gain more money and fame and WF can make her games bigger, better and quicker.

If she's not in as an AT, she's prime DLC material. She has very few competitors from the ballot and even if you bring in other characters not from the ballot, I'd still call her a top contender.

And then obviously, the previous two won't matter at all if she's already playable in the base roster.~

---

Worst thing that could happen is we get Smash 4 Isaac'd and she's a complete no show. That sounds like madness though considering she was more than likely in the Top 100 in the ballot and WF's silence. If she's not represented at all, a lot of people are going to have to answer some questions.

Edit: Teeb147 Teeb147 That's honestly why I didn't want Isabelle in the game. xD

I understand she's deserving and is a really big character, but I know for a fact that salty people are going to use Ridley to beat her up as a punching bag. It's so gross and petty. =P

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Seriously, just read this artice and tell me that some of those points don't just scream Vergeben
It's making me think about the John Edwards episode from South Park, where Stan tries to take Kyle back from New York after attending a John Edwards show and he became a victim of cold reading because of his late grandmother and how John cold-read him in relation to his late relative.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

Yup, that sounds just like him. He keeps things so vague and can't make and solid commitments.

Like when he says "a Square character", but refuses to say the name. Any Square character could be announced and gullible people will claim he's right. Same with his Pokemon claim.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, for me personally, getting another look at it she seems to be more looking "around the corner" and doesn't seem to be "butt bumping" anyone.

But this is pretty much "Reach: The Thread" though.
Sometimes yes sometimes no. But in this particular instance. Yes.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'll be honest though:
The only clear hint we have, is the radio silence of WayForward and them ignoring everything Smash related.
As well as Shantae's odd absence from indie-fighting games, while she is part of every other indie-crossover that is not a fighting game.
So the assumption of NDA and NCC actually makes sense in that context. Not confimed, but plausible.

Everything else is reaching.
Shantae still has more hints and clues in her favour than lots of other popular picks.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'll be honest though:
The only clear hint we have, is the radio silence of WayForward and them ignoring everything Smash related.
As well as Shantae's odd absence from indie-fighting games, while she is part of every other indie-crossover that is not a fighting game.
So the assumption of NDA and NCC actually makes sense in that context. Not confimed, but plausible.

Shantae still has more hints and clues in her favour than lots of other popular picks.
That plus she's a popular pick too. We don't really know how well she did in Japan, but other than that I'm sure she made it farr on the ballot list.

It's a big deal, but some people thought we would mostly get ballot picks, but then we got Simon and Isabelle. I think that's nintendo being nintendo, but the ballot still matters a lot and I think we'll see that again in the next smash direct.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I really don't know what to think anymore.
This place is giving me grief because I'm constantly worrying about whether you people dislike me or not, and if this place will ever be as good as it was previously, but this is one of the only places where I feel comfortable discussing anything, and if I leave I don't know where else I'll go.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I'll be honest though:

If you had to assign a percentage, what would you think are "her" chances of being under NDA/NCC are?
Personally, I think it's pretty close to certain that she's under an NDA, with about an 80%. The NCC is more like 50% to me, either she is or she isn't.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I really don't know what to think anymore.
This place is giving me grief because I'm constantly worrying about whether you people dislike me or not, and if this place will ever be as good as it was previously, but this is one of the only places where I feel comfortable discussing anything, and if I leave I don't know where else I'll go.
Uhm, I don't think anyone expressed dislike towards you. o_O

If anything, people got mad about trolls and haters or are salty about Shantae not being the one confirmed this time.
It has nothing to do with you. oO

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
That plus she's a popular pick too. We don't really know how well she did in Japan, but other than that I'm sure she made it farr on the ballot list.

It's a big deal, but some people thought we would mostly get ballot picks, but then we got Simon and Isabelle. I think that's nintendo being nintendo, but the ballot still matters a lot and I think we'll see that again in the next smash direct.
If not for Shantae being on my want list and thinking he was a lock for Smash 4, I might have voted for Simon.

Top Bottom